[4.4 ROOT] SlapMyMoto 1.0 (Requires you to be on 4.2.2)

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
My apologies for taking so long, life is hectic. This is a "root path" for the 4.4 update, and in this case you will retain your stock recovery so features like remote wipe will continue to work. It requires you downgrading to 4.2.2 or already be on 4.2.2 before updating to 4.4. Unlike hte MotoX, you can not downgrade. This Must be preformed while on 4.2.2 before updating to 4.4

First you must use MotoWPNoMo, if you haven't then you will need to. Use RockMyMoto to gain root, then use MotoWPNoMo, and then restore to the 4.2.2 Camera update.

Step1)

Unzip SlapMyMoto-1,0.zip and push the jar file to your internal storage
Code:
adb push SlapMyMoto.jar /sdcard/SlapMyMoto.jar

Step2)

Use http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ to open up a telnet session as system user on port 2222. We covered how to use Impactor and telnet in the RockMyMoto root, I won't be covering it again since this post is going to be long enough already, see here -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2509590 or http://rootzwiki.com/topic/107098-root-rockmymoto-yes-even-the-first-ota/

Connecting over telnet, and run Stage1 with this command:
Code:
dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/SlapMyMoto.jar SlapMyMoto

When the device tells you to reboot, do this manually with "adb reboot" or your power button. It will not auto reboot on this step

Step3)

Once the device has rebooted, run Impactor again and connect over telnet just like in the previous step, then run the same command
Code:

Once the device has rebooted, please take the 4.4 OTA.

Step4)
Now that we are on 4.4, we can finish the process with adb shell:

Code:
adb shell
cp /sdcard/install.sh /data/local/tmp/install.sh
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/install.sh
echo "/data/local/tmp/install.sh" > /sys/kernel/uevent_helper

Then either wait, or toggle your bluetooth. Once the device reboots, you will have root.

Attachments

• SlapMyMoto-1.0.zip
    132.1 KB · Views: 2,671
Last edited:

Volodimirrr

Account currently disabled
Apr 4, 2012
Usa
meettomy.site
So, if I have a root that I've gained with RockMyMoto I just need to take an OTA and start from the step 4 ?)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

fuzzychinsagrero

Sep 26, 2012
I was going to say what if we used voodoo un root then take the update when it comes hopefully restore with it? I know voodoo doesn't support 4.3+ but what if we achieved root on 4.2.2?

empoweredh22

Sep 21, 2010
No....make sure you have write protection off with the MotoWPNoMo procedure jcase linked, then start at step 1. It's my understanding that if you start from step 4 nothing will work because 4.4 can't currently be rooted, so you go through all these other steps to maintain a root via 4.2.2. Besides that, with the 4.2.2 root, there's no recovery so if you tried to take it right away you'd just boot loop your phone. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

TheWhiteChallenger

Mar 7, 2013
Has this been verified? I saw people in another thread getting a "security version downgraded" error but could not figure out exactly what they did

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fuzzychinsagrero

Sep 26, 2012
Another question I got root through rockmynoto. When I got my maxx I took the update to 12.15.15 do I still have to do all the steps?

digitaloutsider

Feb 29, 2008
Well, upon flashing back to 4.2.2, my phone says I don't need the update. It can't be polled, so I have no idea when it'll prompt me to do it again.

With my luck I'll have to wait until after the push window closes and it becomes a freeforall.

ceelos218

Oct 1, 2011
i really dont feel like going back to 4.2.2 to root :( lol.. battery life is great.. think ill stick with 4.4 /4.1/.2 until there's an exploit for it.

Reactions: dano1282

TheWhiteChallenger

Mar 7, 2013
ok so im having major issues, idk if its the root method or the fact that i push the ota via adb, so ima keep that conversation here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48656238&posted=1#post48656238 for now in an effort not to clutter this thread needlessly
but i would really appreciate any help, especially if jcase would like to take a peek and see if he know wtf i did wrong.

on the lighter side can someone whos done this tell me if we were suposed to get the new dialer or did our kitkat get shorted out of that?

Last edited:

bluh5d

Dec 9, 2010
!Cloud Hack!
Just verifying for everyone that I run a Droid Maxx and I am part of the soak test and This did work I am on 4.4 with Root and Hotspot active used another mod on here for that and Also google wallet working with touch 2 pay !!!

Thanks Jcase As you know I think you are the best !!!!

My apologies for taking so long, life is hectic. This is a "root path" for the 4.4 update, and in this case you will retain your stock recovery so features like remote wipe will continue to work. It requires you downgrading to 4.2.2 or already be on 4.2.2 before updating to 4.4.

First you must use MotoWPNoMo, if you haven't then you will need to. Use RockMyMoto to gain root, then use MotoWPNoMo, and then restore to the 4.2.2 Camera update.

SlapMyMoto requires you to be on the 4.2.2 Camera update, you can find the firmware for your device below:

<someone please post the appropriate firmware links below, I dont have the droid devices here>

Step1)

Code:

Step2)

Use http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ to open up a telnet session as system user on port 2222. We covered how to use Impactor and telnet in the RockMyMoto root, I won't be covering it again since this post is going to be long enough already, see here -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2509590 or http://rootzwiki.com/topic/107098-root-rockmymoto-yes-even-the-first-ota/

Code:

When the device tells you to reboot, do this manually with "adb reboot" or your power button. It will not auto reboot on this step

Step3)

Once the device has rebooted, run Impactor again and connect over telnet just like in the previous step, then run the same command
Code:

Step4)

Code:
adb shell

Then either wait, or toggle your bluetooth. Once the device reboots, you will have root.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

My Dialer looks the same !!

ok so im having major issues, idk if its the root method or the fact that i push the ota via adb, so ima keep that conversation here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48656238&posted=1#post48656238 for now in an effort not to clutter this thread needlessly
but i would really appreciate any help, especially if jcase would like to take a peek and see if he know wtf i did wrong.

on the lighter side can someone whos done this tell me if we were suposed to get the new dialer or did our kitkat get shorted out of that?

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
I cannot downgrade. I get an error that the bootloader noticed it was a downgrade....

Oh well, I guess I'll wait for something else.

What was the exact erro, what were you downgrading to, and what specific device?

I did not confirm downgrade was possible, so it may only apply to those that already were on 4.2.2

dtreth

Dec 12, 2013
What was the exact erro, what were you downgrading to, and what specific device?

I did not confirm downgrade was possible, so it may only apply to those that already were on 4.2.2

I took the OTA 4.4, tried to downgrade to the link I provided earlier in the thread, I have a Droid MAXX. I don't remember exactly what it said but it was the same error I got when I tried to FXZ my Razr MAXX HD to 4.1.2 unlockable after I took 4.1.2 locked forever. I don't really want to do it again but I will for exact text.

EDIT:
I did it again, it said
"downgraded security version
update gpt_main version failed
preflash validation failed for GPT"

I DID do MotoWpNoMo and it survived the OTA even without root or anything, so I'd be willing to test any methods you cook up to remedy this, if you do indeed attempt anything (and I'd also probably try to hug you through the computer somehow)

Last edited:

j.bruha

Jan 15, 2010
It requires you downgrading to 4.2.2 or already be on 4.2.2 before updating to 4.4.
Correct me if if I'm wrong, but this looks like I need to be on STOCK 4.2.2, correct?

I'm currently rooted with WP off on 4.2.2 (XT1080M, MAXX). When I run SlapMyMoto, it says rooted devices are not supported. If I'm understanding these steps correctly, I need only go back to stock 4.2.2 and then complete all of these steps. Can anyone that has completed these steps confirm this?

tehcodeman

Dec 19, 2013
Correct me if if I'm wrong, but this looks like I need to be on STOCK 4.2.2, correct?

I'm currently rooted with WP off on 4.2.2 (XT1080M, MAXX). When I run SlapMyMoto, it says rooted devices are not supported. If I'm understanding these steps correctly, I need only go back to stock 4.2.2 and then complete all of these steps. Can anyone that has completed these steps confirm this?

I suggest doing a FXZ (w/ Keep Data) with House of Moto to get back to 4.2.2 stock without root. Be sure to flash the 12.15.15 firmware. You will not lose "WP off". Then proceed with the SlapMyMoto steps.

UPDATE: Success! Followed jcase's steps exactly and had no issues. One exception is that I installed the update from internal storage instead of an OTA.

A few other things I've noticed:
1. Recovery is now true recovery and is no longer the normal boot with "write protection off" (like it was with RockMyMoto). Now you see the Android with the red exclamation point like stock recovery.
2. MotoWpNoMo survives the 4.4 OTA!!!
3. Google hotword detection ("OK Google") in the GEL and GoogleNow isn't working. Moto X users on KitKat are seeing the same thing, so hopefully a fix is coming soon. Of course, Moto's Touchless Controls ("OK Google Now") still works like a charm.

Last edited:

Metfanant

Jan 10, 2011
Question...

Currently I'm on 4.2.2 no root, no WP off...fresh from the box...

I am not yet able to pull the update from the servers...should I wait till I get notification that there is an update to take? Or can I preemptively do steps 1-3 and then take the OTA whenever it comes and finish the process?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My apologies for taking so long, life is hectic. This is a "root path" for the 4.4 update, and in this case you will retain your stock recovery so features like remote wipe will continue to work. It requires you downgrading to 4.2.2 or already be on 4.2.2 before updating to 4.4. Unlike hte MotoX, you can not downgrade. This Must be preformed while on 4.2.2 before updating to 4.4

Step1)

Code:

Step2)

Code:

Step3)

Code:

Step4)

Code:
    adb shell

I suggest doing a FXZ (w/ Keep Data) with House of Moto to get back to 4.2.2 stock without root. Be sure to flash the 12.15.15 firmware. You will not lose "WP off". Then proceed with the SlapMyMoto steps.

UPDATE: Success! Followed jcase's steps exactly and had no issues. One exception is that I installed the update from internal storage instead of an OTA.

A few other things I've noticed:
    1. Recovery is now true recovery and is no longer the normal boot with "write protection off" (like it was with RockMyMoto). Now you see the Android with the red exclamation point like stock recovery.
    2. MotoWpNoMo survives the 4.4 OTA!!!
    3. Google hotword detection ("OK Google") in the GEL and GoogleNow isn't working. Moto X users on KitKat are seeing the same thing, so hopefully a fix is coming soon. Of course, Moto's Touchless Controls ("OK Google Now") still works like a charm.
    If someone could get me a copy of about, boot, and a dump of system I will look at a better solution for the droid line

Sent from my HTC Two
    Thank you. I just saw this very helpful reply after rooting 4.2.2 by running SlapMyMoto again and following the instructions to be done "after 4.4 installs successfully," but the unsolved problem is that the 4.4 update will not install successfully (Update Failed 410 error). I went through the whole RockMyMoto, WPNoMo, SlapMyMoto process successfully, then the 4.4 update would not install. I've posted a question about what could be messing that up and how to fix it. One kind fellow suggested HouseOfMoto back to 4.2.2 then RockMyMoto (won't work since write protection is off), then WPNoMo (not sure why if the write protection is already off), then SlapMyMoto (I guess this is the replacement for RockMyMoto step) again, and then retry the OTA 4.4 update.

Looks to me as if I have to either block the 4.4 update (by freezing Motorola OTA and and and something else...) and remain rooted on 4.2.2, or wait for an answer to why 4.4 won't install successfully and how to redo something, or everything, to make it do so and then finish off the remaining steps in SlapMyMoto to restore root.

Thanks very much for your past and potential future help.

If you have removed write protection, don't worry about that piece anymore. you can't re-enable it with any method.

Get your phone back to stock 4.2.2 camera update (CFC-obake-maxx_verizon-user-4.2.2-SU1-15-3-release-keys-cid2-Verizon-US.xml.zip) - use HouseOfMoto or RSDLite. This step will remove root. Don't re-root it by any method. this is all spelled out in the original post. SlapMyMoto runs on UNROOTED 4.2.2 and provides root AFTER the OTA 4.4 is completed. I don't know how else to say it. The update should run fine on this which is STOCK 4.2.2

SO:

FLASH 4.2.2 w/camera. If you want to be really sure its stock, don't mess around trying to save your data - just wipe the phone.

AT THIS POINT YOUR ARE STOCK 4.2.2 WITH WRITE PROTECTION REMOVED AND NO ROOT - WHICH IS EXACTLY WHERE JCASE TOLD YOU TO BE IN THE OP. THEN FOLLOW THE REST OF HIS POST:

Start with the SlapMyMoto steps 1-3:
    Step1)

Code:
    Step2)

Use http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ to open up a telnet session as system user on port 2222.

Code:

Step3)

Code:

Once the device has rebooted, take the 4.4 OTA.

FINALLY:
    Step4)

Code:
    adb shell
    Does that mean a fully rootable 4.4 without downgrading? If so, I don't mind waiting for it.

I'm guessing he is going to look into it doesn't mean it will be possible. But I have seen him pull rabbits out of his hat before.