[Guide]Running BackTrack5(Ubuntu Lucid v10.04) On Your ET4G!!!

Search This thread

donnyevo4g

Jun 25, 2010
West Caldwell
iv done everything up until step how to launch bt and when i start going threw the commands everything goes smooth until i get to bt when i type bt thats when i get the chroot error message other than that i been able to download files extract files flash file in recovery and my sdcard/bt folder final directory does look the way you have it in the thread am i answering your question now or am i still missing somthing lol

KingOfThaJungle

Oct 4, 2011
New York, NY
iv done everything up until step how to launch bt and when i start going threw the commands everything goes smooth until i get to bt when i type bt thats when i get the chroot error message other than that i been able to download files extract files flash file in recovery and my sdcard/bt folder final directory does look the way you have it in the thread am i answering your question now or am i still missing somthing lol

Nope, we're on the same page now man lol....so su, cd /sdcard/bt, sh installbt.sh, and startbt all go through accordingly but then when asked to enter bt to launch, you get that error...hey do me a favor and just check the bt folder and see if you have all five files and if you could, also post up their sizes so I can compare your's to mine(hey now)...especially bt.img, on my phone its 3.3GB..if using MyFiles, going into the app and scroll down to the BT folder, go in, and then long press on bt.img and select details, it should read 3.3GB(3,501,000,000 bytes)

Reactions: donnyevo4g

donnyevo4g

Jun 25, 2010
West Caldwell
correct when i bt i get the chroot error and here r the sizes as per section

sdcard/bt/bt: size 660 bytes

sdcard/bt/bt.img: size 1.74gb ( i guess thats the problem why is the img smaller then yours)

sdcard/bt/installbt.sh: size 1.02K

sdcard/bt/startbt: size 1.12K

sdcsard/bt/stopbt: size 820 bytes

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

think i got it i ran out of space on my primary sdcard so it only copied some of the image over i just cleared alot of space and am copying the image over now so hopefully it will all go over now then il run commands again and then get back to you

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

YES!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKED im all set im gonna try and run it now but i got past that error message thanks alot man il make sure to hit the thanks button for you and PM me when you get a chance i want to go over the Ubuntu 11.10 project with you so we can work on it together and get it finished for these good people once again thanks and good work

Reactions: latinmaxima

KingOfThaJungle

Oct 4, 2011
New York, NY

sdcard/bt/bt.img: size 1.74gb ( i guess thats the problem why is the img smaller then yours)

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

think i got it i ran out of space on my primary sdcard so it only copied some of the image over i just cleared alot of space and am copying the image over now so hopefully it will all go over now then il run commands again and then get back to you

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

YES!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKED im all set im gonna try and run it now but i got past that error message thanks alot man il make sure to hit the thanks button for you and PM me when you get a chance i want to go over the Ubuntu 11.10 project with you so we can work on it together and get it finished for these good people once again thanks and good work

Awesome man, glad you got it running! Will catch up with you after work to hear about the Ubuntu v11.10 project you got going, will be more than happy to help if I can!

donnyevo4g

Jun 25, 2010
West Caldwell
if you hit home you will be back in android you can even close terminal and backtrack/ubuntu will still work the only way it shuts down is if you run the commands to shut it down at least thats the case for me i have terminal closed and im still able to disconnect and reconnect no problem at all. hope that answered your question

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
if you hit home you will be back in android you can even close terminal and backtrack/ubuntu will still work the only way it shuts down is if you run the commands to shut it down at least thats the case for me i have terminal closed and im still able to disconnect and reconnect no problem at all. hope that answered your question

nope it didn't ;)

how do i get back to BT after hitting home? launch terminal and/or....?

arvinghost

Sep 5, 2007
Ann Arbor
i did all these steps:
•su
•cd /sdcard/external_sd\bt
•sh installbt.sh
•startbt
•bt

*and of course i copied the and extracted the file 3.3GB and flashed the update in recovery.

but when i press ui it says
uI: not found

anyone knows what the problem could be

KingOfThaJungle

Oct 4, 2011
New York, NY
i did all these steps:
•su
•cd /sdcard/external_sd\bt
•sh installbt.sh
•startbt
•bt

*and of course i copied the and extracted the file 3.3GB and flashed the update in recovery.

but when i press ui it says
uI: not found

anyone knows what the problem could be

yup, it is case sensitive, and I know that whenever an "i" is entered, especially w/ swype, it capitalizes it. Best bet is to install the Hackers Keyboard, free in the Market. FYI it also includes arrows when used in landscape mode, so, lets say you want to enter a previously used command, just hit the up arrow and it'll place the entire string in for you ;)!

arvinghost

Sep 5, 2007
Ann Arbor
thanks for the reply but i downloaded the hacker's keyboard and retyped the whole thing and still didn't work. this is what i get:

to start GUI (vncserver) type 'ui' (without the quotes)
chroot: can't excute '*/bin/hash': No such file or directory
#ui
ui: not found

KingOfThaJungle

Oct 4, 2011
New York, NY
thanks for the reply but i downloaded the hacker's keyboard and retyped the whole thing and still didn't work. this is what i get:

to start GUI (vncserver) type 'ui' (without the quotes)
chroot: can't excute '*/bin/hash': No such file or directory
#ui
ui: not found

Did you copy the bt folder to the external sdcard? By default the zip puts it in the other location, being that it was made for the SGSII international, so on ours it places it in the "wrong" location. Us Epic Touch user have to copy it to our other sdcard location, then the commands should work...

arvinghost

Sep 5, 2007
Ann Arbor
the bt file location on my phone:

/sdcard/external_sd/bt

and when i flashed the zip file i got all the other files inside of it.

is this is the right location or i need to move it to /sdcard/bt ??

fasters7

Apr 23, 2010
hi guys, i can't download "bt5_sgs2_shell_scripts_v2.zip", link isn't working.

can you give me another mirror ?

(mirror on media fire, is only 2 KB ! and ofcource it doesn't work. i face "installation aborted")

wderyl

Feb 4, 2009
Payette
same issue downlaoding

I'm having the same issue downloading the file, tried the everything download, i get a 404 no access allowed when i go to download. no mirror media file is only 2kbs? any help out there this looks cool

slyder33

Jul 9, 2007
can someone repost the link for the bt5_sgs2_shell_scripts_v2.zip? :

Nevermind:

I found the script in the sgs2 forum, then matched it with the portion that would download from mediafire.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -Found this little gem posted in this thread, located under the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Android Development Forum. So I decided to installed it on my phone and SURPRISE SURPRISE, turns out it works great on our Epic Touch 4G too :p!
    -Anyways, you can follow the instructions which I've quoted right below, and they are also found in the link above. This installation/setup takes all but 5-10minutes if not less!!! Hardest part, if you wanna call it that(its really just the longest part), is downloading the required files. Once you've downloaded all 10 7zip files into a single location, just open ONE OF THEM and extract it by double clicking it and then dragging the bt.img file to your computer. AND you only have to do this to ONE of the downloaded files, no need to open each of them and drag out the bt.img 10 different times, BUT you do need to have all 10 of them copied into the same folder in order for the full image to extract correctly!
    -Also, the instructions stated to run the following command:
    Code:
    su
    cd /sdcard/bt
    sh installbt.sh
    startbt
    bt
    but they were made for the AT&T version, so on our phones you need to either:
    a)copy the bt folder off of /sdcard/external_sd to /sdcard instead; or
    b)use the following commands instead:
    Code:
    su
    [B]cd /sdcard/external_sd/bt[/B]
    sh installbt.sh
    startbt
    bt
    -If you make use of it, please be sure to thank the originator of it, anantshri, on his thread here, and DooMLoRD on his thread here for assisting in porting it over from the Xperia10 to the SGSII! Good things!
    4sm98j.jpg

\\----[ Announcement ]----//

[12/July/2011] Updated with new package (bt5_sgs2_shell_scripts_v2.zip) containing shell scripts & busybox

//----[ Announcement ]----\\

hi guys DooMLoRD & anantshri present to u:

BACKTRACK 5 on SGS2

all the work was done by anantshri, i mostly assisted by testing it on my SGS2 and modding it slightly so that it will work properly for SGS2... dont forget to thank him!

i will try n keep it short and simple...

for more details u can read the original thread at X10 sub-forums...

[DEV] BACKTRACK 5 on Xperia X10 chroot

[ Screenshots ]

on startup (shell):

shell.png

in GUI:

gui.jpeg

phone + BT5 GUI:

phone.jpg

[ Requirements ]

[ How To : File Setup ]

u need to do this only once
    1. download the files from the links provided in this thread
    2. extract the files using 7zip to a temporary folder (needs 3.3GB free on that drive)
    3. connect ur SGS2 to PC and mount USB storage
    4. create a folder named 'bt' (without quotes) in the root of ur sdcard and copy the bt.img in that folder
    5. also place the file bt5_sgs2_shell_scripts_v2.zip in root of sdcard, this file has to be flashed via recovery
    6. once u verify that the above is correct then un-mount usb storage
    7. reboot into recovery and flash the file bt5_sgs2_shell_scripts_v2.zip stored in root of sdcard (or if u are using CWM app then just select the file for flashing and the app will do the rest ;))
    8. once ur phone reboots into OS just check the /sdcard/bt folder
    9. final directory structure should look like this:
      • /sdcard/bt/bt
      • /sdcard/bt/bt.img
      • /sdcard/bt/installbt.sh
      • /sdcard/bt/startbt
      • /sdcard/bt/stopbt
    10. once u verify that the above is correct then u can proceed

[ How To : Launch BT ]

1. start Terminal Emulator app on ur SGS2 and enter the following commands step by step (accept/allow any SuperUser request/popup that u may receive)
      • su
      • cd /sdcard/bt
      • sh installbt.sh
      • startbt
      • bt
    2. now u are in BackTrack5 shell

3. to launch GUI (vncserver) enter the following command
      • ui
      uilaunch.jpeg

now note the number N shown localhost:N
      e.g. as u can see from the above image that "New 'X' desktop is localhost:1", so N=1
      the vncserver is running at (5900 + N, N=1 ; so server port is 5901)

4. now launch androidVNC app on phone and fill in the detials as follows
      • Nick : bt
      • Address : 127.0.0.1
      • Port : 5901
      • Password : 12345678
      • Username : <leave it blank>
      • Color Format : 24-bit color (4 bpp)
      vnc.jpeg

inside vnc window select input mode (i personally recommend the following)
      • TouchPad (here your screen works like a big touchpad use it to navigate mouse.)
    5. and then press connect... now u are in BackTrack GUI!

6. if u want to exit/close BT5 then u need to follow these steps:
      • close the androidVNC app (Menu -> Disconnect)
      • go back into Terminal Emulator app and enter the following commands
        u should be at this shell root@localhost:~#
        • killui
        • exit
      • now u will get back to this shell> #
      • now enter the following commands to stop bt and exit
        • stopbt
        • exit
        • exit
      • u can now exit the Terminal Emulator app
      • i would also recommend that u reboot ur phone

[ Important Info ]

root password is 12345678

[ Download Links ]

1. update.zip package containing shell scripts, busybox (which gets installed to temporary location) [to be flashed via recovery]
      this will not disturb/conflict with busybox of ur ROM/CF-Root kernel

bt5_sgs2_shell_scripts_v2.zip (~800KB)

2. main bt.img
      these links are 7zip archives split into 50mb files, u will need to download the following:
      total size: 486MB

also uploading to mediafire for mirroring...
      Mediafire Folder: http://www.mediafire.com/?f9gk3p3t9wip5

md5 hashes:

Code:
       bt.7z.001 f19e769bf42b44867c8bb1d9bb9c5d44
       bt.7z.002 a4dd26a98d2c6925d871fb108fb5fadb
       bt.7z.003 ecca5a5d72c449117b1d3dbc23aeb1a2
       bt.7z.004 8ad487a01e4d149f0247ad9288201f32
       bt.7z.005 adab9cb3778cd8ac89ccc0e21997c3d7
       bt.7z.006 ba6a28de70a1115dc316f45cea508215
       bt.7z.007 f59757e891631607e1a35abadb231b3b
       bt.7z.008 cdb8c28a1fbd03657bb42e8d69f0600b
       bt.7z.009 426d892f872679e3d53d0ebb0376e138
       bt.7z.010 c7d2957bc65340d967b9dd3646d7cb39

icon8.gif

ENJOY!
    does injection and/or wep hacking works?

Unfortunately it does not...I know the main purpose running BackTrack is being able to use its Networking Security Tools, but it is based on Ubuntu Lucid, v10.04 LTS, so you're still able to run a fully functional operating system on your mobile phone! ATM its more of a novelty than a practicality but Im hoping they find a way to turn the tables soon ;)!

Nope, we're on the same page now man lol....so su, cd /sdcard/bt, sh installbt.sh, and startbt all go through accordingly but then when asked to enter bt to launch, you get that error...hey do me a favor and just check the bt folder and see if you have all five files and if you could, also post up their sizes so I can compare your's to mine(hey now)...especially bt.img, on my phone its 3.3GB..if using MyFiles, going into the app and scroll down to the BT folder, go in, and then long press on bt.img and select details, it should read 3.3GB(3,501,000,000 bytes)

Only way i got this working

was to use curioct's method located here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1162662&page=16. "copy busybox to /data/local/tmp/bt (or create a symlink here) make sure it has read write excute perms (chmod 0755 or root explorer)

copy bt, startbt and stopbt /system/bin make sure they have read write excute perms

You can do all this with root explorer/browser and dont even need the install script

then all you need so do in connect is type three commands

$su
    #bt
    #startbt

simple if you want to install my scripts which include the path fix and the android file system premounted within Back|track but you don't want this to run from the external sd card simply use a text editor and open the startbt script edit the line that reads :-

export kit=/sdcard/external_sd/bt

to read:-
    export kit=/sdcard/bt

if you have the default ones they point to the internal sd card anyway but last I had them they had an export path bug in them which lead to problems inside back|track

if you want my advice given the simplicity of these tasks, if you use my scripts I would highly recommend putting a # in front of the three lines that begin:- $bboxpath mount --bind this will comment them out (prevent them from running in the script)

This will for the time being stop back|track mounting your android internal / external and USB drives thus preventing you acidentally screwing them up from within back|track

given that this stuff is basic linux command line you might want to consider learning more of it before playing with back|track, just a thought." Hope this helps others..