How should the perfect Vehicle Dock for Note II look like? From iBOLT...

Which type of microUSB charging connection should the new Car Dock have?

• Fixed microUSB position (does not work with cases)

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Flexible microUSB "arm" (works with all cases)

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

MikaelPe

Jun 8, 2012
Stony Brook
Pics of the new Samsung Note II Dock from iBOLT...

The new Smartphone car-dock has now made it into production. See basic YouTube video here, a more professional version coming later. Below are a list of the features and also pictures with details. We thought this thread would be a few comments but it seems to have grown quite a bit, which is great. We live in a free world so if a $20 universal car holder does the job, buy it! The one we designed does look very nice, it has a bunch of components, metal latch and it includes electronics for pass through charging and a 9ft cable with USB and aux-out. All I can say is that this will look great inside any modern vehicle...If you buy this Dock we'll send a nice discount coupon for the wireless version (although wireless charging is slow when using a case) when it's coming in a few months.

As we mentioned before we decided to go with a microUSB steel enforced arm on the side instead of doing a vertical microUSB "slide on" solution. The reason is that we have tons of customer that have asked us to make this new Dock compatible with Otterbox Defender, Ballistic, Trident type cases, which is very challenging otherwise.

The flexible design makes it compatible with Galaxy S II, S III and Note I and II, even when using extended batteries etc.

1. Spring loaded latch. Users told us they don't want to insert the phone and have to "fold down" the latch. This design makes it a smooth 1-step motion to insert the phone. The opening supports phones up to 92 mm, which is based on a Note II with the Defender case.

2. Expandable feet to fit phones up to 18 mm thick. Adding an Otterbox Defender to a Note II makes it twice as thick!

3. 17 mm ball joint mount on the back of the Dock. Turn in any direction with one hand or even use a vertical dock. The Dock also works with any mounting solution compatible with Garmin, type dashboard. vent, bike mount etc. For anyone preferring a ProClip vent mount or KUDA leather mount for mounting, just add an AMPS mounting adapter and they will play nicely together.

4. Automatically triggering car-mode/smart dock mode. On Google Play there's several good apps, including CarHome Ultra, that can be used as a replacement for Samsung's "default" docking screen (no real app included anymore from them).

5. Pass through charging with a 9ft (2.7meter) USB charging cord is also included. This makes it possible to place the Dock on the left side of the steering wheel, where it is out of the way and within easy reach. This position is also "legal" in California. The other end of the cable plugs in to the USB port and aux-in on the car stereo on the car. If you don't have a USB port in your car, plug into a 12 Volt car charger featuring a USB port (which most people probably already have?).

6. Minimal design with completely open back so the Dock can function as a "dash cam" without any blockage. We're amazed how many people seems to use this feature! Power button and volume button on the Note II are also completely accessible with this design.

7. Compact size, yet sturdy and pretty stylish size. Much smaller footprint then even a medium size Samsung phone. Users like you guys have told us that when the phone is not in the Dock you don't want a big "blob" of plastic obstruction the view.

8. The microUSB connector itself is 7.5 mm x 11 mm wide, which is small enough to fit virtually all case openings. Please provide feedback and image if anyone have a case from a known manufacturer where this connector does NOT fit... We've tried to make it as small as possible.

Well, that's it folks! Price is a most reasonable $44.95 considering the many components included but a $5 off pre-order rebate until end of December brings it down to $39.95. Order here on Amazon for North American customers and in Europe, click here. Better photos and videos coming in the next week. Feel free to comment and we'll do our best to answer... Thanks for all input and very engaged discussions on the subject of the "ultimate car-dock"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmbRqm5grU4&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• Note-2-image.jpg
    Note-2-image.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 687
Last edited:

Sistum Id

Jan 2, 2009
Phoenix
Looks good. Just placed a pre order on Amazon right now.

How exactly does the arm work? It's spring loaded, so where is the button to decompress it?

finalhit

Jan 12, 2009
Any chance you can enable prime on the preorder?

swyped all these spelling errors from my galaxy note 2

rph10319

Feb 8, 2009
I'm glad you finally post some pictures, but I saw some problems. One: cradle not provide direct lateral support for the phone, the phone remaining to be sustained only by pressure exerted by that two lower leg support and clamp, which means you can accidentally drop the phone on the sides when handling. Two: in which way you can depress the clamp?...i mean which is the working principle? (to press the clamp it's easy to understand, but to depress? releasing assume to press again or simple pull up the clamp?). Three: that steel enforced arm: 1. without the phone, will stay still and right or will swing when the car will move without the phone in the cradle - that will be annoying? 2. USB plug has edges thin enough to allow insertion along the case edges?...because if is to thick you must remove case before put the USB plug in the phone to charge, that mean you can't use your phone with the case on it because of that. Four: I can't make order or pre-order because I am from Romania (Europe) and Amazon don't send your car dock here. I think a good suggestion from me will be that you must use e-bay to (they send items in Romania, Europe).

Last edited:

MikaelPe

Jun 8, 2012
Stony Brook
I'm glad you finally post some pictures, but I saw some problems. One: cradle not provide direct lateral support for the phone, the phone remaining to be sustained only by pressure exerted by that two lower leg support and clamp, which means you can accidentally drop the phone on the sides when handling. Two: in which way you can depress the clamp?...i mean which is the working principle? (to press the clamp it's easy to understand, but to depress? releasing assume to press again or simple pull up the clamp?). Three: that steel enforced arm: 1. without the phone, will stay still and right or will swing when the car will move without the phone in the cradle - that will be annoying? 2. USB plug has edges thin enough to allow insertion along the case edges?...because if is to thick you must remove case before put the USB plug in the phone to charge, that mean you can't use your phone with the case on it because of that. Four: I can't make order or pre-order because I am from Romania (Europe) and Amazon don't send your car dock here. I think a good suggestion from me will be that you must use e-bay to (they send items in Romania, Europe).

Here's the answers to your questions:
1. Once we have posted the video you will see that there is enough pressure from the latch to prevent the phone from ever falling out. Part of the "secret sauce" is also the fact that the rubber material inside the latch is soft enough to "grab" the phone. Hold off on additional questions on this issue and we'll do our best to post a video by the end of today (Sunday 16th).
2. The steel enforced microUSB cable with the arm will not drop or "swing" when there is no phone inserted.
3. The size of the microUSB plug is thin enough to fit all cases we've tried. I will measure it and post images of the exact inches/mm size so users can check before buying the product. Our goal is to have a product where you never need to remove a case before inserting.
4. If you live in Romania you can order it later today as we are just putting it on for pre-order on the European eBay and Amazon platforms.

MikaelPe

Jun 8, 2012
Stony Brook
Size of microUSB

See below image of microUSB. Does anyone have a case where this does NOT fit? Otterobox, Ballistic, and many other brands we've tested works.

Attachments

• microUSB-measurement.jpg
    microUSB-measurement.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 409

rph10319

Feb 8, 2009
I think that USB plug is perfect and nobody can complain about that type of USB plug. The upper side of the plug is THIN enough to be use with any type of case; no matter the lower side is a litle bit thick, because that part on the phone is rounded and permit diferent thickness of the plug. Congratulation.

Don't forget to post here when we can pre-order or order on e-bay and the film.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

standarduser

Jun 10, 2009
I know I'm a late comer to this thread but I'd like to offer my feedback to iBolt, if it's not too late.

The perfect mount would:

- Have a secure grip on the phone. I have a Jeep Wrangler, and I don't want the phone to bounce our of the case. I like the Samsung approach of gripping the phone on all 4 corners, and then having the USB plug slide into position. It's secure, yet doesn't put stress on the USB plug while the phone is bring put into the mount.
- Preserve the rear camera's field of view so we can use apps that utilize the camera while driving.
- Have a NFC tag embedded into the mount so we could decide and program what settings we want to activate when the phone is mounted
- Personally, I'm not a fan of mounts that support any style of case since that usually yeilds a mount that doesn't grip the phone very well. I'd rather have one that is custom taylors to the exact size of the phone itself.
- Another item on my wish list would be to have buttons on the front of the mount that emulate the functions of the buttons on the sides of the phone, such as power and volume. It would make it easier to adjust those items while driving. Might also be nice to add a mute button.
- having an headphone output jack is a nice-to-have, but only if that audio can be had through the USB port. If I had to run an extra wire to the headphone jack on the top of the phone, I wouldn't use it.
- Full Charging capabilities is a MUST. I bought an iBolt mount for my HTC Rezound. Even with it connected to power using the same cigarette light cord, it actually ran the phone's battery down while using it. Between that and the loose fit of the clip that sits atop of the phone, my iBolt mount is now sitting in my basement collecting dust. :(

Last edited:

csmits

May 13, 2010
Wanted to pre-order, but none of the promotional codes (neither 5FIVEOFF, nor 5OFF2012 works)

rph10319

Feb 8, 2009
I have a htc car charger 5v/1A...i saw that note 2 car charger (on google search, of course) are the same 5v/1A. That htc car charger is enough to charge the phone when it runs navigation programs and music in the car?

serpa4

May 2, 2010
Buy a 2amp cigargett adapter. I got one from VZW (with discount) that is 2.1 amps. I think it's belkin. Anyway, using split screen, full brightness running GPS on one half and movie on the other half the screen, and it was still charging pretty quickly.

Reactions: rph10319

MikaelPe

Jun 8, 2012
Stony Brook
I know I'm a late comer to this thread but I'd like to offer my feedback to iBolt, if it's not too late.

See our iBOLT comments below...

The perfect mount would:

- Have a secure grip on the phone. I have a Jeep Wrangler, and I don't want the phone to bounce our of the case. I like the Samsung approach of gripping the phone on all 4 corners, and then having the USB plug slide into position. It's secure, yet doesn't put stress on the USB plug while the phone is bring put into the mount. The xProDock will hold it, it will work with a case. Please let us know how it works in the Wrangler.
- Preserve the rear camera's field of view so we can use apps that utilize the camera while driving. Done
- Have a NFC tag embedded into the mount so we could decide and program what settings we want to activate when the phone is mounted. Easy to do by yourself and in the future you are right, they will be embedded.
- Personally, I'm not a fan of mounts that support any style of case since that usually yeilds a mount that doesn't grip the phone very well. I'd rather have one that is custom taylors to the exact size of the phone itself. The xProDock will hold it.

- Another item on my wish list would be to have buttons on the front of the mount that emulate the functions of the buttons on the sides of the phone, such as power and volume. It would make it easier to adjust those items while driving. Might also be nice to add a mute button. We totally agree, this is a great idea. We've looked into it and it something we are considering for future products.

- having an headphone output jack is a nice-to-have, but only if that audio can be had through the USB port. If I had to run an extra wire to the headphone jack on the top of the phone, I wouldn't use it. This function depends on the handset OEM. Only Samsung, neither HTC, Motorola, LG or Sony have designed their platforms to route the sound through the microUSB. On Samsung about 1-2% of users are reporting a buzz though on the line out when it's done like this, probably because of interference with the LTE radio. The real solution is to have a car-stereo head unit with A2DP streaming for music AND also the hands-free profile for calls.

- Full Charging capabilities is a MUST. I bought an iBolt mount for my HTC Rezound. Even with it connected to power using the same cigarette light cord, it actually ran the phone's battery down while using it. Between that and the loose fit of the clip that sits atop of the phone, my iBolt mount is now sitting in my basement collecting dust. :(
Sorry about that. We did have a problem with a batch of the Rezounds and we replaced anyone that contacted us and to the best of my knowledge all of those users had FULL charging afterwards. If you still want to use it, contact us at info@ibolt.co and we'll send you a new one tomorrow.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone, we at iBOLT (www.ibolt.co) are working on a "real" car dock for the Note II. As we are finalizing the details it would be great to have feedback and input from this knowledgeable user community. Here's some of the questions where it would be great to have some feedback on: which type of microUSB charging is optimal (fixed position or flexible so it works with cases), car mode (good or not?), wireless charging (does anyone care?), aux-out through microUSB with 9ft cord (too long?). Well, sound off and let us know and we'll read every comment:) Thanks!
    I'm afraid that video confirms to me that you haven't managed to create a dock with one handed operation - you have to use 2 hands tu plug the usb cable in!

There seem to be a lot of one-arm persons in this thread. Don't see what's the big deal of using 2 hands to plug in a cable.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    nice, i was hoping you guys would make one for the note ii.

please have a stiff-necked cup holder version. i find them much more stable and secure. i personally have a mini cooper, and the cup holders are right in front of the console. the usb cable/aux are right behind them, so it's perfect. 9ft is definitely too long, and would just clutter up the car.

as per the connection, consider the samsung infuse route...where it snaps into the bottom of the phone. wireless charging is nice, but i wouldn't pay more than +20 bux for it.

speaking of which, please do portrait mode, not landscape. portrait is way better for navigation.

last and the least, consider changing your company name.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    So being ever curious I wanted to see the mechanism that they designed this with so I popped it apart. If you want to do this also just slide the bottom mounting points upward off the main back that houses the spring loaded top clamp, Once you get that off remove the four screws and you can open the main housing up which is pretty simple really...

While I had it apart I played around with stretching the springs out a bit to loosen things up since I knew I could replace them after seeing them. I started by just removing one spring but that was to loose so I then hyper stretched just one to see how that changed things up but it was still a bit tight... So I finally stretched the other to around the same amount and reassembled and I like the feel much better... The mount still flexes just a bit under the pressure but not near as much as it did before to the extent of causing the ball joint to move.

If you do this be careful as you can easily over stretch the springs... I stretched mine to the point that they still had light tension when closed all the way. Also, be aware that doing this would probably void any warranty this has.
    xProDock for Galaxy Note II ready soon

All, we are overwhelmed here at iBOLT by the level of interest for the new car-dock. Today we received the first production units and we are shipping by the end of December. We will post images and spec by Monday and also a link to where to purchase. It works with all cases and extended batteries. Stay tuned and thank you all for excellent comments and great discussions!