[APP] Gmail.apk 2.3.2 that Always Displays Images (Froyo)

Search This thread

Anderdroid

Dec 25, 2009
Palo Alto
ninjafighteronline.com
EDIT: 2.3.2 done

I noticed one annoying thing about Gmail for me. I always had to hit the big "Display Images" button to view emails properly.

So I decompiled it, did some editing, and got it to always display images period. Doesn't ever show that big ugly button either. All emails load images, it's great.

This is based on the latest FROYO Gmail. I may make a version for Eclair if there's enough people interested.

You will need to be rooted.

Method 1: adb push Gmail.apk /system/app
Method 2: copy Gmail.apk to /system/app using Root Explorer

Delete Gmail.odex from /system/app if it exists. Also delete GoogleMail.apk and GoogleMail.odex if they exist.

You may be able to simply uninstall the updates to Gmail and then install this like a normal app, it may not require root. Someone try it.

apk is attached

Attachments

• Gmail.apk
    1.8 MB · Views: 10,768
Last edited:

cu_ninja

Sep 6, 2010
Austin
Awesome, thanks for this as I was constantly annoyed by the display images as well. This feature (or an option) should be included in the next gapps.

Much appreciated!

vermaekansh

Aug 20, 2010
nice work

I havent tried but surely a good change...
though i personally dont have a problem in clicking the "display image " button to display images :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: 2.3.2 done

I noticed one annoying thing about Gmail for me. I always had to hit the big "Display Images" button to view emails properly.

So I decompiled it, did some editing, and got it to always display images period. Doesn't ever show that big ugly button either. All emails load images, it's great.

This is based on the latest FROYO Gmail. I may make a version for Eclair if there's enough people interested.

You will need to be rooted.

Method 1: adb push Gmail.apk /system/app
    Method 2: copy Gmail.apk to /system/app using Root Explorer

Delete Gmail.odex from /system/app if it exists. Also delete GoogleMail.apk and GoogleMail.odex if they exist.

You may be able to simply uninstall the updates to Gmail and then install this like a normal app, it may not require root. Someone try it.

apk is attached
    I have attached patched versions of the 2.3.4.1 Froyo standard and 'black' versions that will show email images automatically and do not require you to press the 'show pictures' button.

I do not have Froyo and thus have no way to test these. I patched them in the same way as the Eclair version I provided earlier determined by decompiling the Froyo version from the original poster.

I have also attached the most recent 1.3 Eclair version with the same patch.

Enjoy...

Be sure to rename the APK you are using to gmail.apk
    New APKs Packaged in Flashable ZIPs

Hello All,
    If anyone's having difficulty with copying, renaming, permissions, etc, I have packaged the new *.apk* files into a flashable zip you can install from Recovery or ROM Manager the old way.

None of this is mine- I just placed the new APKs into the ZIP package created by the original poster.

@Anderdroid - I hope you have no problem with this
    Alright I did the new Gmail. See OP.
    download the file you want from post #217 to the root of your sd card. With root explorer, mount the sd card as RW and delete the original gmail apk from /system/app

once you do that, copy and paste the apk from the root to the app folder
    click and open permissions and select all of them under user..

reboot and enjoy