[Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12) [First Gen Only]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

redbean25

Jan 4, 2012
Seattle
Well, I would like to root to be able to run apps like Titanium Backup and Root Explorer. I would rather root the device before I install any ROM but if this is the only way I can get it to work, I guess I will have to do it like this.

Could you provide the steps to install FFF and TWRP?

Once I install those, will I be able to use TWRP to preform a backup before I wipe and install a new ROM?

Thank for the reply!

For your findstr error, check your PATH variable in Windows. Either view it by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties, then going to the Advanced Tab and selecting Environment Variables, or open a CMD window and type

echo %path:;=&echo.%

That will show all the entries, each on a new line so they are easier to read. Make sure there is a path entry for C:\WINDOWS\system32. If there is not add the following:

%SystemRoot%\system32

Last edited:

CannibalAngel

Apr 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
For your findstr error, check your PATH variable in Windows. Either view it by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties, then going to the Advanced Tab and selecting Environment Variables, or open a CMD window and type

echo %path:;=&echo.%

That will show all the entries, each on a new line so they are easier to read. Make sure there is a path entry for C:\WINDOWS\system32. If there is not add the following:

%SystemRoot%\system32

I'm not sure why this would make a difference but I checked anyway. %SystemRoot%\system32 is not in the path. How do I add it?

EDIT: Figured it out and that worked! I finally got my Kindle rooted!!!!! Thank you for the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: redbean25

kiawin

Mar 31, 2008
Klang, Selangor
kiawin.com
Finally found a reference to running dpinst32.exe with the /LM option - that installed the KFU drivers.

HOWEVER - it still shows an ADB status of "offline", and Boot status as "unknown" - now where to go?

I had the same issue. Apparently it is owing to our username in Windows has a space (or more). This cause the install_drivers.bat to break.

Solution is simple, edit the install_drivers.bat and include double quotations (" ") to all file paths which has %userprofile% (line 9 & 10)

Uninstall what ever drivers you have installed previously by going to Device Manager, go to Android Phone and uninstall it.

Re-run install_drivers.bat and after that execute run.bat.

That should work :)

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
simple solution that I missed!

I had the same issue. Apparently it is owing to our username in Windows has a space (or more). This cause the install_drivers.bat to break.

Solution is simple, edit the install_drivers.bat and include double quotations (" ") to all file paths which has %userprofile% (line 9 & 10)

Uninstall what ever drivers you have installed previously by going to Device Manager, go to Android Phone and uninstall it.

Great catch! :good:

That is a great tip that a lot of people may need. It could fix some strange problems. Not only on this kit but on a lot of things run from scripts.

Reactions: e495957

jdiamond7

Jan 14, 2012
I apologize if this has been addressed in a previous post. I have searched the thread and forums up and down and haven't found a solution.

I am having an issue rooting my wife's kindle fire. I am using KFU v0.9.6 to root Kindle Fire version 6.3.1. I previously have rooted mine (months ago) with no issues so I have some experience with this. Bottom line is that everything appears to work except the actual rooting. Drivers load fine, TWRP and FFF install no problem, but I do not get root. Attached is a screenshot of the KFU output.

I even went as far as to try to do the manual root but I get the same error when removing check_rooted, "can't rename '/system/bin/check_rooted' : No such file or directory.

Since I do have FFF and TWRP it would seem to me that I could just flash a pre-rooted system image if I could get my hands on one. I have not been able to find one though.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

• kfu.jpg
    kfu.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 194

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
I apologize if this has been addressed in a previous post. I have searched the thread and forums up and down and haven't found a solution.

I am having an issue rooting my wife's kindle fire. I am using KFU v0.9.6 to root Kindle Fire version 6.3.1. I previously have rooted mine (months ago) with no issues so I have some experience with this. Bottom line is that everything appears to work except the actual rooting. Drivers load fine, TWRP and FFF install no problem, but I do not get root. Attached is a screenshot of the KFU output.

I even went as far as to try to do the manual root but I get the same error when removing check_rooted, "can't rename '/system/bin/check_rooted' : No such file or directory.

Since I do have FFF and TWRP it would seem to me that I could just flash a pre-rooted system image if I could get my hands on one. I have not been able to find one though.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I have jelly bean running nicely on my wife's kf.
Check the "android development" forum for roms. I used the eye candy 3.4 version. It works nearly as well as my Nexus 7.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

quickbird144

Mar 9, 2010
Great catch! :good:

That is a great tip that a lot of people may need. It could fix some strange problems. Not only on this kit but on a lot of things run from scripts.

I'm a bit slow. Could you elaborate on how to do this exactly?

jdiamond7

Jan 14, 2012
I have jelly bean running nicely on my wife's kf.
Check the "android development" forum for roms. I used the eye candy 3.4 version. It works nearly as well as my Nexus 7.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Thanks for the reply, I should have specified that I need a stock rooted system image. My wife wants to keep her stock OS (God knows why). I also tried to flash the nfx-update-kindle-6.3.1 update but that didn't seem to give me root either.

Last edited:

AndroidLover813

Rooted My Amazon Kindle Fire

Just wanted to express my thanks to the developers of this Utility. If all instructions are follwed to the tee, you wont have a problem. I'm uploadinding this pick to prove root access on my Kindle Fire:....
Anyway!!!!s good luck and happy flashing!!!!

jdiamond7

Jan 14, 2012

So I was finally able to gain root access to my wife's KF. I had first tried flashing several pre-rooted stock system images with no luck. I even flashed an old OS version and tried Burritoroot and it still didn't work!

Finally I found this archived thread and found that others had experienced this as well. I followed the instructions to flash eldarerathis's stock rooted with insecure boot image and it worked!

Unfortunately the ROM's version was 6.3 and no sooner had I booted into it then the device immediately rebooted and updated to 6.3.1. I had lost root access before I was able to do anything! I then tried to use KFU to root again and this time it worked! I now have a rooted 6.3.1 on my wife's device.

Thanks Vashypooh, eldarerathis and all the other devs for your awesome work!

ProfEngr

Aug 25, 2009
You could try the modaco roms. I'm running that as the alternate with NRG rom via dualboot.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using one opposable thumb.

Reactions: jdiamond7

TheYar

May 27, 2008
Another user needing help

I'm fairly experienced with Windows drivers and with Android, including a lot of work with ROMs on Samsungs and Motorolas, but I'm lost now.

Got a new Kindle, got the Utility. Installed drivers fine. Connected Kindle fine. Ran the Utility, rebooted into fastboot (I guess), and now nothing.

The Kindle will only say "kindle fire" on the screen. I can turn it off by holding the button for a long time, but that's it.

Windows will not recognize the device as anything but "unknown device." So of course adb doesn't work and the Utility just says "waiting." I've rebooted the Kindle and PC many times. I've reinstalled the drivers many times. 0x1949 and 0x18d1 are in the .ini file.

When I try to install the drivers manually, Windows says that the driver is not compatible with the device.

Is there any way out of fastboot so I can try to start over? Or is there something else I can look at to get the abd interface back up? All the research I did ahead of time pointed me to this utility as the simple way to root and flash; I'm kinda bummed that I'm now stuck at a bootscreen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

TheYar

May 27, 2008
Just wanted to express my thanks to the developers of this Utility. If all instructions are follwed to the tee, you wont have a problem. I'm uploadinding this pick to prove root access on my Kindle Fire:....
Anyway!!!!s good luck and happy flashing!!!!

I followed instructions precisely, and have been bricked for hours now.

The method described in the OP relies on you being able to successfully start up a new ADB driver upon reboot of the Kindle. Many people experience problems with this, which results in what I hope is only a soft brick, but so far I have been unable to resolve it. As always, proceed at your own risk. In my opinion, the OP needs to be updated with more than just the standard disclaimer language, and instead point out that numerous people have reported fairly serious failures when attempting to connect back to the Fire once it has entered fastboot.

EDIT: After a lot of help and a lot of tinkering on my own, I got back into normal booting. I can't be certain what fixed it, but it involved manually deleting a lot of driver information from /Windows and from device manager, installing the fastboot interface driver manually within 5 seconds of booting the KF (that was kinda tricky and involved rebooting it a 2nd time in the middle of the driver install process), and then even though fastboot didn't seem to see the device, issuing manual fastboot commands to reboot normal anyway. Success.

Last edited:

TheYar

May 27, 2008
I have the same booting forever issue ((

UPD:
Resolved! I just installed permanent root despite ADB Status = offline in kindle utility.

Good. It seems that once you have an ADB Interface or Fastboot driver up and running without errors, but you still can't see the device with adb or fastboot, then you can either a) completely uninstall and reinstall the driver while the device is still plugged in and running and see if that works, or b) attempt to issue scripted or manual fastboot/adb commands anyway and see if they work, despite the device still failing to respond to a "devices" query. Either of these methods seems to have intermittent success.

The main trick I discovered that helped me is that in some cases you need to time your driver installation so that it completes within like 4 seconds of plugging in the cable. Fastboot won't let driver communications start up except for like within the first few seconds, and if you miss that timeslot, Windows is likely to establish a bunk driver for the device that will persist every time you plug it in afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: DO NOT use this on 2nd Generation Devices or you risk bricking your Device.

These procedures are for FIRST GENERATION Devices ONLY. In otherwords, for the ORIGINAL KF. If you proceed to use this on your 2nd Generation Device, and you BRICK it, don't complain. You have been warned.

This thread is also no longer maintained. A new Thread has been opened.

The new Thread

MD Moderator XDA

Hi all, some of you may have seen my utility over in the de-bricking thread. My goal at this point is to try and make lives easier for everyone I can.

So what I have done is created a script that can be used to handle a lot of common things people may want, and I will continue to add things people request that I think would be easy, and beneficial. I just wanted to make this situation easier for the average person.

You will see how the tool detects you at the default screen, and can refresh it by hitting 0 at any menu to have it refresh ADB/Fastboot and see what mode the kindle is in.

Currently the tool does:

• Automatic elevation to root for tool operations.
    • Full root install.
    • Auto detect current bootmode.
    • Auto Detect ADB/Fastboot Online/Offline.
    • Auto download update.zip from Amazon.
    • Auto download and install TWRP Recovery.
    • Auto download and install CWM Recovery.
    • Auto download and install FFF Bootloader.
    • Manage current bootmodes.
    • Manage Read/Write.
    • Install GoogleApps/Market/GoLauncherEX.
    • Lock/Unlock the Wallpaper from being changed.

Currently the tool comes packaged with the drivers required to operate ADB and Fastboot.

Please note: If your device can't be seen in fastboot mode, please make sure to install the drivers packaged with this, as it will show up afterwards. You can use the install_drivers.bat with the device plugged in for this.

Usage should be straight forward for the tool. If you are having issues with something, this tool has a good chance of getting you back on track. This issue was found and fixed using this post: Click me Over at Rootzwiki.

I make no claim that this tool is perfect, but I certainly will do my best to support it as long as people like it.

Here are some screen-shots of it:

kf_util_1.png

kf_util_2.png

kf_util_3.png

kf_util_4.png

kf_util_5.png

Credits goto:

Initial work by ubeezee & yareally on there forum thread.
    Full revert based off method from Clavin, "tweaked" by Vashypooh.
    Full credit of TWRP goes to Team Win for releasing an awesome tool! Good job guys.
    I checked with Dees_Troy prior to integrating TWRP install into the tool, and he was alright with it. If this changes, it will be changed or completely removed per their request.
    rooobbbbb on XDA for the Wallpaper Lock trick.
    Jolleyboy/Bandage on XDA for Android Market guide/ Android Apps.
    Sync settings found by Abramel @ XDA.
    Zeb for testing 0.9.4!

Please leave a message if this tool does not help you, malfunctions, or just to say thank you, or request more features!

Don't forget to donate to teamwin for their awesome recovery system over at: Team Win Website

Downloads:

WARNING: The following files ONLY work for the Original KF. Running this on a 2nd Generation KF will brick the device.

Current Release

Version 0.9.6 = Click Here

Extras(Will auto download, only for manual install users)
    Apps.zip = Click Here (Place in a folder called apps)
    TWRP = Click Here (Place in a folder called recovery)

Old Releases

Version 0.9.5 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.4 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.3 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.2 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.1 = Click Here
    Version .9 = Click Here
    Version .8 = Click Here
    Version .7 = Click Here
    Version .6 = Click Here
    Version .5 = Click Here
    Version .4 = Click Here
    Version .3 = Click Here
    Version .2 = Click Here
    Version .1 = Click Here

Bug Fixes

Version 0.9.6 = Fixed the rooting issue of not installing superuser.apk. Oops!
    Version 0.9.6 = Updated the options of recoveries and the root processes.
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected Gapps installer, now works!
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected some installer issues with recoveries.
    Version 0.9.5 = Fixed the update not installing gapps correctly and crashing.
    Version 0.9.4 = Removed framework option as it confused people and really isn't used.
    Version 0.9.4 = Updated for amazon 6.3 update.
    Version 0.9.3 = Added option to load Burritoroots FireFireFire installer.
    Version 0.9.3 = Fixed to support latest BurritoRoot, sorry it took so long!
    Version 0.9.2 = Changed back to using the official TWRP download URL. They are allowing wget now.
    Version 0.9.2 = Rewrote TWRP installer to use a new method requiring zero user interaction. It should just work.
    Version 0.9.2 = New driver installer using the WDK install system. Should work perfect, every time.
    Version 0.9.1 = Fix TWRP download that Techerratta blocked. Hosting it myself for the moment.
    Version .9 = Minor fix in install drivers batch.
    Version .8 = Tried to make the TWRP installer a bit more verbose in telling people what to do.
    Version .8 = Fixed some issues with order of checking for root.
    Version .8 = Rewrote the driver installer to try to be a bit better and catch fastboot issues.
    Version .7 = Rewrote a lot of things to make them more user friendly and help the user know what is going on.
    Version .7 = Switched away from Zergrush to BurritoRoot
    Version .6 = Now pauses for users to finish the TWRP install before trying to bring it back to normal bootmode.
    Version .5 = Fixed my screwup of TWRP installer. My debug code was posted instead of real code ;( Sorry!
    Version .4 = Cleaned up a bit of code relating to zergRush, it now waits for ADB to come back online before continuing.
    Version .4 = Checks for files already downloaded so we don't waste bandwidth.
    Version .4 = Fixed the Fastboot loader command for TWRP, TWRP install should work better.
    Version .3 = Cleaned up a few areas, fixed a few issues that could revolve around ADB being out of date.
    Version .2 = Fixed issue with TWRP installer leaving the user in Fastboot instead of returning to Normal (4000).
    Version .1 = Initial Release.

New Features

Version 0.9.4 = Added a FireFireFire installer / updater per request!
    Version 0.9.4 = Added a CWM Installer per request!
    Version 0.9.2 = Setup an update system that allows me to change what users download the file from and what MD5 is legitimate so I can update packages.
    Version 0.9.2 = Added MD5 checking of all files downloaded for legitimacy.
    Version .9 = Added failsafe system to /system/
    Version .7 = Automatic BurritoRoot courtesy of Jcase of TeamAndIRC. Thanks man!
    Version .3 = New Driver installer. Just run install_drivers.bat before running the tool and all driver issues should be resolved. Could use some feedback on this.
    Version .3 = Added an extras menu with a few features to help people out!

Known Tricks

• If you end up stuck at the yellow triangle, in KF Utility select Boot Normal, wait for it to say <waiting for device> and then press and hold the power button 20 seconds until the fire turns off, then when its off turn it back on. This sometimes happens, I have yet to find a clean solution :(
    • If you end up stuck with a yellow triangle, do not EVER unplug it. Leave it plugged in. Check the windows drivers to make sure it isnt showing as "kindle" again. Fastboot is different and can cause this.

Need Live Help?

Kindle Fire IRC

Please visit there, and I may be able to help in person, if you are willing, I will even TeamViewer in to help! Rest assured, the chances of you actually bricking your kindle are very low, I or someone else can and would love to help. It helps us think of was to better handle things.
    I tries that in my device manager it says unknow device with yellow mark when i go to update driver it says the latest is already installed

Alright. Let me guide you through this...
    -Download the attachment I provide below and place it in somewhere you KNOW where you can find it easily. (I placed it in C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver(I would recommend doing the same))
    -Go to device manager
    -right click on the exclamation mark kindle.
    -Choose update driver software
    -choose browse my computer for driver software
    -choose let me pick from a list of devices on my computer
    -Then select have disk
    -Then select browse
    -direct to where you downloaded the usb driver i attached
    -Select okay and okay

Download here
    you sir are incredible good job :)

I love the dev work that the kindle is getting. This thing will be 100% unlocked in no time with lots of great custom roms and kernels :D Makes me really happy as this is my first android device.
    New version of KFU

I PM'd VashyPooh and he is no longer supporting KFU because he doesn't own a Kindle Fire anymore. So now I will be maintaining this project for now. I am going to make a new thread and release Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.7+. Here is the new thread :) I don't know what should be done with this thread though once it becomes obsolete.

VashyPooh, thank you for what you've done here you've helped me and thousands of people root, install custom firmware, and de-brick our devices. We really appreciate what you've done for us and all the hard work you've put in to this. :good:

Also, thank you for letting me update this because now your utility will be able to help even more people. :)
    Kindle Fire Utility .7 released.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Notes:

• Exclusive support from jcase for this tool providing a custom BurritoRoot. Please Uninstall any old version you have on the fire.
    • Full support for rooting the Kindle permanently.
    • Easy TWRP installer from my TWRP tool is moved into here.

As usual, post any bugs or issues, or find me on IRC.