[TWRP_Recovery_2.8.7.0][Unofficial][quincyatt]

Search This thread

gimmeitorilltell

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 6, 2012
@gimmeitorilltell Good sir:

Will you check this package and see what I would need to do to make it work with i717?? Please and thanks!

NOBODY FLASH THIS FILE PLEASE

I am not really familiar with the f2fs but I would assume that you need to replace the mounts in your script with the ones for the I717. Will dig a bit more to see what I can find out for ya.

hi sir. it seem in your f2fs recovery there is no f2fs references in fstab.qcom.
is that normal ?

/dev/block/mmcblk0p26 /cache ext4 nosuid,nodev,barrier=1 wait,check
/dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /data ext4 nosuid,nodev,noatime,noauto_da_alloc,errors=panic wait,check,encryptable=footer,length=-16384

Can you link me an fstab that shows f2fs? All I done was add the script to the make file, I'm not aware of anything having to be added to the fstab. Maybe find something on github & I'd be glad to check it out & incorporate that into this build.

Reactions: patch_Adams

desalesouche

Feb 6, 2012
I am not really familiar with the f2fs but I would assume that you need to replace the mounts in your script with the ones for the I717. Will dig a bit more to see what I can find out for ya.

Can you link me an fstab that shows f2fs? All I done was add the script to the make file, I'm not aware of anything having to be added to the fstab. Maybe find something on github & I'd be glad to check it out & incorporate that into this build.
see here... https://github.com/PimpedKernel/and...mmit/d9dddc5e69f73c8b9538cf36b0d5952627ea31b5
and you can see here also it is helpfull i believe...
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52020770&postcount=5560
my friend Broodplank manage thanks to that how to and adapting ...

gimmeitorilltell

Aug 6, 2012
see here... https://github.com/PimpedKernel/and...mmit/d9dddc5e69f73c8b9538cf36b0d5952627ea31b5
and you can see here also it is helpfull i believe...
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52020770&postcount=5560
my friend Broodplank manage thanks to that how to and adapting ...

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that you will need everything that is currently ext4 changed over to f2fs except the recovery itself. I currently have the efs, system, cache, & data set to ext4. I'll compile twrp with everything as f2fs & another build with only the cache & data set. If you're compiling a rom with f2fs then the complete recovery needs the same support. Links will be posted as the builds complete. Are you all getting close to ready for flashing?

EDIT: TWRP with f2fs support in cache & data ONLY!!! I am also compiling one with FULL f2fs support.

NOTE: This is a TEST recovery for supporting F2FS ONLY!!! DO NOT attempt to flash just any rom with these types of recovery!!!

patch_Adams
desalesouche

I am assuming recovery or the kernel HAS to be built FIRST, hopefully it's the recovery? Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: patch_Adams

patch_Adams

May 21, 2013
northwoods USA
Huawei P30 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro
Thanks! I'm pretty sure that you will need everything that is currently ext4 changed over to f2fs except the recovery itself. I currently have the efs, system, cache, & data set to ext4. I'll compile twrp with everything as f2fs & another build with only the cache & data set. If you're compiling a rom with f2fs then the complete recovery needs the same support. Links will be posted as the builds complete. Are you all getting close to ready for flashing?

EDIT: TWRP with f2fs support in cache & data ONLY!!! I am also compiling one with FULL f2fs support.

NOTE: This is a TEST recovery for supporting F2FS ONLY!!! DO NOT attempt to flash just any rom with these types of recovery!!!

patch_Adams
desalesouche

I am assuming recovery or the kernel HAS to be built FIRST, hopefully it's the recovery? Lol

HUGE Thanks for your contained work here sir!! I am sitting down to build now so I'll grab what you've got here and give this all a go...

:good:

gimmeitorilltell

Aug 6, 2012

Polluti0n

Nov 13, 2008
@gimmeitorilltell

Is it at all possible to disable the assert checker in twrp? I am trying to put something together that would let us flash s2 roms, and let s2 users flash note1 roms. The only issue im having is the assert checker in twrp/cwm. Of course I can delete the assert check in the updater-script, but I wanted to make something easier for the users that are uncomfortable with all that stuff.

Anyways let me know if thats possible, and thank you for everything you do for this community.

-Polluti0n

gimmeitorilltell

Aug 6, 2012
@gimmeitorilltell

Is it at all possible to disable the assert checker in twrp? I am trying to put something together that would let us flash s2 roms, and let s2 users flash note1 roms. The only issue im having is the assert checker in twrp/cwm. Of course I can delete the assert check in the updater-script, but I wanted to make something easier for the users that are uncomfortable with all that stuff.

Anyways let me know if thats possible, and thank you for everything you do for this community.

-Polluti0n

I would assume it can be disabled but it would be problematic long term for users, allowing to flash "any" Rom that was on the sd card. I certainly don't want to be the cause of another's bricking of their phone. Let me look at the mount system on the s2 because that would be cause for a brick if the Rom was looking for different mounts than the recovery has set. What I'd the xda name for the s2 or a link to the device files please?

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

rruleford

Feb 26, 2011
I would assume it can be disabled but it would be problematic long term for users, allowing to flash "any" Rom that was on the sd card. I certainly don't want to be the cause of another's bricking of their phone. Let me look at the mount system on the s2 because that would be cause for a brick if the Rom was looking for different mounts than the recovery has set. What I'd the xda name for the s2 or a link to the device files please?

I believe the s2 is hercules or the model is t989. You and pollution rock. I wish I had tge brains to do these type of things. Thanks again friends

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

I believe the s2 is hercules or the model is t989. You and pollution rock. I wish I had tge brains to do these type of things. Thanks again friends

That would be the tmobile version. Att is skyrocket not sure of model number

gimmeitorilltell

Aug 6, 2012

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

That would be the tmobile version. Att is skyrocket not sure of model number

Yeah it's hard to keep up with all the different variants sometimes. Lol

Reactions: Polluti0n

Polluti0n

Nov 13, 2008

Ya its the skyrocket(att) or Hercules (tmo). I already have gotten s2 roms running on my note, I just wanted to simplify it for the average user. As for the risks, I agreement it should not be something that's disabled all the time. I wonder of it's possible to make a script to temp turn off assert check. I know that a Dev named philz built a custom cwm that you can toggle assert checker (it's outdated).

Is there an assert check flag?

I think that twrp caches a copy of the phones build.prop on boot. If that is true, it would be easy to make a script to sed the ro.device entry.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Polluti0n

P.s. happy Easter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T879 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: SgtTeabag

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I don't think you have to disable the assert checks in the recovery. Just remove the assert get.prop from the build prop. Then it won't check to the recovery to see if it is the correct device or not. I believe that cm builds that way by default.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: gimmeitorilltell

Polluti0n

Nov 13, 2008
I don't think you have to disable the assert checks in the recovery. Just remove the assert get.prop from the build prop. Then it won't check to the recovery to see if it is the correct device or not. I believe that cm builds that way by default.

The assert get.prop is in the updater-script. I can easily remove it, but I want to make a simple way for users to flash s2 roms.

Below is what I'm trying to accomplish:
Users flash s2 rom>flash gapps>flash rom patch>enjoy.

I just don't want the user to have to edit rom package before flash.

-Pollution

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I understand your goal which is why I suggested the build prop edit versus building a new recovery. You can change the source to make the build prop work for other devices or you can make a separate prop you throw into the zip after every build. Then the end user never has to touch it. At least then you get the result you want and that is the end user not having to mess with the zip.

Polluti0n

Nov 13, 2008
I understand your goal which is why I suggested the build prop edit versus building a new recovery. You can change the source to make the build prop work for other devices or you can make a separate prop you throw into the zip after every build. Then the end user never has to touch it. At least then you get the result you want and that is the end user not having to mess with the zip.

Thank you so much for your advice, however I'm not quite sure I understand. I'm not actually building the s2 roms. I just want to make a patch that would allow users to flash any cm11 based s2 rom to there note.

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I suppose someone with knowledge of build props, the necessary changes from the s2 to the note, and some scripting knowledge could make a patch that edits the parts of the build prop that need it. If you or someone else knew all the changes needed to be done I'm sure you could find a Dev that knows how to make a script that searches the build prop and makes the changes through a flashable zip.

Polluti0n

Nov 13, 2008
I suppose someone with knowledge of build props, the necessary changes from the s2 to the note, and some scripting knowledge could make a patch that edits the parts of the build prop that need it. If you or someone else knew all the changes needed to be done I'm sure you could find a Dev that knows how to make a script that searches the build prop and makes the changes through a flashable zip.

Well that's what the patches I have already made do. Along with many other fixes, and custom kernels. My patches are all done up in a nice little aroma install that allows the user to pick which kernel and what fixes to apply to 4.4 roms. It also allows users from the tmobile note to install 4.4 att roms. Many users on these forums already use my patch.

The issue is that twrp has a default.prop that I don't know how to edit, unless I build twrp from source. The issue then would be assert checker permanently disabled (dangerous).

The solution: Remove the assert check from updater-script in s2 rom before flash
Problem: Most users don't wanna do that or feel uncomfortable modifying stuff they don't understand.

Idea: flashable zip that changes ro.product.device=SGH-I717 to ro.product.device=SGH-I727 using SED command. The recovery would also have to run an init.d script that GREP/SED ro.product.device=SGH-I717. That way every time TWRP starts it makes sure that ro.product.device=SGH-I717 in default.prop.

This way the user would flash like this prep.zip>rom>gapps>patch.zip. And twrp would be set back to its default default.prop the next time its booted.

At this point this is hypothetical because I don't know if TWRP can run an init.d script, nor do I know if it can run a script to SED the default.prop

-Polluti0n

disconnecktie

Oct 23, 2011
I know you'll disagree but if people are uncomfortable changing one line in the build prop they probably shouldn't be flashing a recovery capable of allowing them to flash basically any ROM to their phone. This is just asking for people to brick. I understand that you're trying to make it easier but it just sounds like a bad idea to me. I still don't see why a separate build prop or ROM zip couldnt be made and posted in the threads that want to have this option.

gimmeitorilltell

Aug 6, 2012
I have the latest 2.7.0.1 working but I don't see the f2fs options like in my other devices. Also I have not uploaded the file yet since I'm working so much lately.

Reactions: blachamlet

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wanted to post this here since I've been busting my tail on an update for a week now. This WILL flash, Backup & Restore android 4.4 roms! USB mounting, internal & external sdcard mounts as well. There are still a few bugs to work out but give it a go & some feedback. It's still a WIP but plenty stable to use daily for now.
    Also anyone interested in flashing the CandyKat sweetener packs, you may now do so with this recovery!!

I am not responsible for misuse, bricks, or exploding devices! Flash at your own risk! You can download the zip file & flash it from within your existing recovery & reboot to recovery.

CREDITS: Javelinanddart for fixing mounts, f2fs, & for fixing vibration for 5.0 & up Disconnecktie && Santod040 I have bugged these guys to death to get this working so Please stop in & thank these guys as well. They are a huge part of the success of this! Obviously this couldn't happen without Omniroms Source! And a huge thanks for
    Dees_Troy for his guide to compiling twrp recovery!!
    TWRP Themes have changed a bit & if you use a them then you'll want to checkout this link.
    THEMING TWRP THE NEW WAY!

What's new in 2.8.7.0

- Initial ground work for software drawn keyboard (_that)
    - Fix handling of wiping internal storage on datamedia devices (xuefer)
    - Allow DataManager to set and read values from the system properties (xuefer)
    - Fix crash when taking screenshots on arm64 devices (xuefer)
    - Fix error message after an ORS script completes (Dees_Troy)
    - Fix crashes / error when creating encrypted backups (_that, Dees_Troy)
    - Add system read only option - more details below (Dees_Troy)
    - Add resize2fs and GUI option to run resize2fs (Dees_Troy)
    - Fix crash loop caused by empty lines in AOSP recovery command file (_that)
    - Prevent duplicate page overlays such as multiple lock screens (mdmower)

System read only option: Devices that ship with 5.0 and higher as their initial OS are using block level OTA updates. With this style of OTA update, the update script checks to see if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. Further, the script also usually runs an SHA sum of the entire system partition to detect if any changes have been made. If any changes have been made, the OTA update will refuse to install. Since not all OEMs and devices have factory images available, we have created a new feature in TWRP that detects if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. If not, you will be prompted asking if you want TWRP to mount system as read/write. If you choose not to allow TWRP to mount as read/write, TWRP won't prompt to install SuperSU and TWRP won't try to patch the stock ROM to prevent TWRP from being replaced by stock recovery. The goal of this option is to hopefully allow the user to make a raw system image backup that they can use to get back to a state where they can take OTA updates again.

resize2fs feature: On some devices like the Nexus 6, the factory images include a userdata image that is the proper size only for the 32GB units. If you flash the factory image to a 64GB Nexus 6, the data partition will appear as if it only has the free space of a 32GB device. Using the resize2fs option, TWRP can resize your data partition to take up the full space available. The resize2fs may also be useful to resize system partitions on devices where custom ROM system images don't take up the full partition space. Lastly, resize2fs may be useful in some cases to reserve the proper space at the end of a data partition for a full disk encryption key, should your partition be formatted incorrectly for some reason.

This new version also marks our first set of full builds using our new jenkins build server. You can track the progress of builds at https://jenkins.twrp.me and we have taken additional steps to make it easier for device maintainers to step up and submit patches to our gerrit server at https://gerrit.twrp.me to help us keep devices up to date and working.

THEMING?
    USE 1080P THEMES
    OP updated

I have posted twrp 2.7.0.0 v10 and this seems to have the twrp settings & backup locations in place. This will most likely be the last update for a while from me here as I feel it has been perfected! Enjoy this folks. HERE is the link as in the OP....
    TWRP 2.8.7.0 Live in OP!!!

Folks we have the latest TWRP & we will have F2FS as soon as I build my next candy5 rom! HUGE thanks to @javelinanddart for throwing a hand in at getting these things working!!! Please find him and click on thanks at least once, he deserves it. F2FS has been compiled into this recovery but I'll rebuild it again since I forgot to add it into my kernel defconfig. Look for new & exciting things to come!
    Updated OP with better mount paths & usb mounting working better. Guys if you all test this latest and give feedback, I'm working on getting this to the official site and in Bigbiff's thread. I appreciate your input. I have worked tirelessly to make this work but I may be missing something. Let me know what you find, working or not. I know the vibrate isn't currently working in recovery but I am looking into that.