FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

The AT&T Jelly Bean Release Thread (4.1.1 released; Kies and OTA)

866 posts
Thanks Meter: 435

By ikjadoon, Senior Member on 10th November 2012, 08:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th November 2012, 10:23 PM |#361  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazee

I think most people that bother to be part of the xda developers forum are pretty aware that non-Nexus devices are going to get slower updates. No surprise there. I think what people here are mostly complaining about are other carriers providing updates for the same device sooner than AT&T.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Reading stuff like this, it almost makes me thing it could in some cases be 'safer' to just flash a custom ROM with the reputation for being the most stable bug-free. XDA users have already helped the developer work out the bugs. If an official update screwed my phone up with things like below, after putting of a custom FLASH, I would be LIVID.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Maybe someone can throw a new guy a bone here? ....

One thing I had on my jailbroken iPhone was free tethering. My Xfinity went down the other day and I realized I couldn't tether my new Android without paying AT$T. So from what I understand, like the iPhone I need to root it and then download a third party tethering app?

If I root now, I'll probably be tempted to give Black Jelly or Frost ROMs a try. I know with this 'Odin' program or 'Nandroid' backup with CWP (still figuring all this out) I can switch between ROMS pretty easily. It takes me about an hour though to download all my apps and reconfig my phone after a reset though. I think Titanium backup or something solves this, but seems to me using something like that with custom ROM, as opposed to a 'clean' install and just start installing/configuring from scratch may pose higher risk of having issues?

So my question is, if I root and install custom ROM, how hard is it to get the official update installed, or any more official future updates installed if I decide I don't want to stay on a custom ROM?

Being an experimental person and my first time to Android, I'm sure I'm going to eventually cave (for sure root) and try a custom ROM. I see SO many posts though in these ROM forums with all sorts of little issues. I want to go back to stock and get official updates if I need to.

Its fairly easy returning to stock and updating. You can use Odin...or Kies...there are threads you can read...just do a search.
When the updates come out...the devs usually have a rooted stock ROM up for grabs within a day or two...sometimes hours. Once your rooted....there really is no reason to go back to stock unless you are returning your phone or sending it in for service, or selling it.

Sent from my GalaxyS III SGH-I747

25th November 2012, 10:42 PM |#362  
Flag Freehold, New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 278

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intub8

Enough people care about updates for Verizon to use it as a selling point for new phones. There was a commercial on tv all night saying this (I forget which phine) phone comes with android 4.1 jellybean. If it is being used in marketing there must be some interest from customers. As far as a survey or petition Facebook is the best way to spread it around and get some results. It can even be very vague, operating system does not matter. Could simply say do you care what version of android, ios, or Windows operating system is on your mobile device and do you care about updates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Bro I guarantee the majority who see those commercials have no clue! The majority of people dont even know half the features their respective phones have let alone what software its running.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
25th November 2012, 10:46 PM |#363  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Lexington
Thanks Meter: 771

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaCristiano

Bro I guarantee the majority who see those commercials have no clue! The majority of people dont even know half the features their respective phones have let alone what software its running.

All they know is it's the latest and greatest. The best thing since sliced bread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
25th November 2012, 10:57 PM |#364  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryB

All they know is it's the latest and greatest. The best thing since sliced bread.

Exactly and more just like that their phone works. I still know people that just updated their iPhone 4S to iOS6 because I told them at thanksgiving lol

25th November 2012, 11:02 PM |#365  
Flag Seattle, Wa
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:

I agree but who do you think those people go to for advise on what phone to get? I know personally I have given tons of recommendations to co-workers, friends, and family members about what phone/tablet to get. So having the "knowledgeable techies"promoting your product to those who are not well informed has got to help. And carriers come into that picture as well. My first question is always "What carrier do you have and do you want to stay with them?".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Big-A-Rob For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Big-A-Rob Ad-Free
25th November 2012, 11:21 PM |#366  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:

Exactly and more just like that their phone works. I still know people that just updated their iPhone 4S to iOS6 because I told them at thanksgiving lol

Hopefully they can find a map that works now lol

25th November 2012, 11:50 PM |#367  
Flag Maryland
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Come-on people!!!! Nothing much has changed with updates from US carriers since 2010, except the recent updates shouldn't take as long. (ie 2.1 to 2.2 update took 5 months for AT&T on Samsung Galaxy S Captivate)
The facts are: 1) Samsung says that the 4.1 for I747 is coming soon (not early 2013)
2) Leaks out of AT&T says the 4.1.1 (or 4.1.2) wll be released soon
3) Samsung says that 4.2 will be released in 1st qtr 2013
4) No way was the update to be released between Nov 19-25 since AT&T cusomer service would be short handed due to Thanksgiving

So if you're stock you'll get 4.1. x soon (maybe Monday? Tuesday?) and 4.2 by Spring? And if you can't wait for 4.2, then XDA or CyanogenMod may have it in January or February. For me, I just got my S3 in September and I'm waiting until March, then I'm looking in XDA for a custom rom unless 4.1.2 is so awesome! But that's me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeofNine For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ThreeofNine Ad-Free
26th November 2012, 01:23 AM |#368  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeofNine

Come-on people!!!! Nothing much has changed with updates from US carriers since 2010, except the recent updates shouldn't take as long. (ie 2.1 to 2.2 update took 5 months for AT&T on Samsung Galaxy S Captivate)
The facts are: 1) Samsung says that the 4.1 for I747 is coming soon (not early 2013)
2) Leaks out of AT&T says the 4.1.1 (or 4.1.2) wll be released soon
3) Samsung says that 4.2 will be released in 1st qtr 2013
4) No way was the update to be released between Nov 19-25 since AT&T cusomer service would be short handed due to Thanksgiving

So if you're stock you'll get 4.1. x soon (maybe Monday? Tuesday?) and 4.2 by Spring? And if you can't wait for 4.2, then XDA or CyanogenMod may have it in January or February. For me, I just got my S3 in September and I'm waiting until March, then I'm looking in XDA for a custom rom unless 4.1.2 is so awesome! But that's me.

I, still hear Tuesday the 27th buzzing also I was told before Dec 5th

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandmyia

Hopefully they can find a map that works now lol

Yea my gf has the iPhone 5 , apple maps aren't that horrible as some make it out but they are unfinished and a bit off. That will change in time.
Google is releasing maps for iOS before year is out.
26th November 2012, 01:23 AM |#369  
Flag Aboro, n.c
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I wonder how many at&t reps are watching these posts an are sitting back and laughing their butts off. Most of us here know it takes time to roll out an update no matter who the carrier is really, bottom line is if you can't wait do it your self the resources are here. Just my two cents worth.
26th November 2012, 01:51 AM |#370  
Flag NYC metro
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazee

[/COLOR]Maybe someone can throw a new guy a bone here? ....

One thing I had on my jailbroken iPhone was free tethering. My Xfinity went down the other day and I realized I couldn't tether my new Android without paying ATT. So from what I understand, like the iPhone I need to root it and then download a third party tethering app?

If I root now, I'll probably be tempted to give Black Jelly or Frost ROMs a try. I know with this 'Odin' program or 'Nandroid' backup with CWP (still figuring all this out) I can switch between ROMS pretty easily. It takes me about an hour though to download all my apps and reconfig my phone after a reset though. I think Titanium backup or something solves this, but seems to me using something like that with custom ROM, as opposed to a 'clean' install and just start installing/configuring from scratch may pose higher risk of having issues?

So my question is, if I root and install custom ROM, how hard is it to get the official update installed, or any more official future updates installed if I decide I don't want to stay on a custom ROM?

Being an experimental person and my first time to Android, I'm sure I'm going to eventually cave (for sure root) and try a custom ROM. I see SO many posts though in these ROM forums with all sorts of little issues. I want to go back to stock and get official updates if I need to.

If you have a custom rom, you will not be getting notification of Samsung /Att updates.

For rooted stock tw, I know that there's a mod which will unlock the tethering, via wifi, bt and USB- I have it myself as well as the goggle now update. The problem is that the requests for data can expose that another non mobile device is on the ATT network, and Att will eventually send you a cease and desist message. If you unlock the tethering, stick with android devices such as a tablet.

There is at this time no problem going from one custom rom or kang to another and back to official roms. There are a number of threads with the information for fixing the several things that can/might go wrong; lost IMEI, triangle away, and the firmware counter. There are several apk to keep root on the phone when there is a ota update. There are lots of people who flash something daily. Some flash clean, and some flash with various degrees of dirty.

Ota updates should allow Google to upgrade/update your phone including contacts if you sync with Google. TiB and other backup software is faster and can restore everything from custom apn and contacts as well as private data from your apks. If the app has a newer version you will get a notification. Some may need thier data/cache cleared.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
26th November 2012, 12:27 PM |#371  
Flag Walled Lake, Michigan
Thanks Meter: 45

More
worth mentioning: Tethering is included in all tiered plans so you dont need that patch to activate it, Its only needed on grandfathered unlimited plans and does violate your terms of service if you use it (which allows ATT to force u off that plan and on to a tiered one)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)