Heimdall Firmware detect error guide.

Search This thread

Vi3tDroidz

Feb 3, 2014

Information is hard to find nowadays. Finding the info you need is one thing, but comprehending it can be difficult sometimes. Since I came from a military background, I like to do the same here and hopefully answer all your Heimdall curiosity.

HEIMDALL IN GENERAL
  • I consider it as Odin evil twin. Simply just 2 different operating personality. In this case, Odin uses Window, and Heimdall uses Linux
  • Will not work without a proper USB software. Odin uses manufacture that either achieve through your Samsung devices, Kies or Samsung. Hiemdall uses Zadig to configure it USB port channel.,
  • Last requirement. Correct operating system with the most compatible version for your system. (Mac-note3), (S3-win) etc.. Newer isn't always better. Check with developer website to get the correct version along with others require adds on for your system.

Extra Note: When verifying if you are using the correct Heimdall for your computer, make sure you right click on Heimdall Front End and go into properties. Just because you downloaded for Win/Mac doesn't mean the setting are set to a specific OS. Should you have to make changes, make sure you restart your computer or restart the application (advance user) for changes to take place[/B]

ATT GLX NT3 HEIMDALL
  1. USB you need will be MSM8960. This is the Linux code for your phone download mode. If you are able to locate and install this on Zadig, then the problem is not at your USB port. *Note: There are more than one driver within MSM8960. The recommended dr is not always the working one. Don't forget to check out the others. (Libusb, winucd, etc)
  2. Heimdall is running as device Admin. This step doesn't make much difference. If you are troubleshooting, I would consider every single possibilities.
    1. Make sure your download mode is listing the correct firmware for your device. People do bad flash, wrong installation, all kind of mix and match. If you somehow, got the wrong version of download mode into your operating system, or viceversa. You're on your own.

Hiemdall is a Linux program, so if you're familiar with ADB and already have that setup on your OS. You won't even need to go through the USB process for detection. ADB is a better method for Heimdall, but i'm not a Linux guy. So when my device wasn't detecting. I had to try a lot of different method. And that's when I came up with the 3 basic requirement.

Along with the basic, there are a few others thing you can look at should you're still unable to connect.
1. Only one can be use between Heimdall and Odin. If your Odin com port is connected, then you need to install/re-install usb for heimdall, or it not config correctly. It's easier for ODin to detect your phone since it is working directly with phone device. Not so much with Heimdall, since you have to fetch all the right tools to get it to work.
2. Most detection issues should be fix by correcting to the proper Usb drive, and the correct Heimdall version for your phone. Also, try to get the software from the Heimdall website.

TROUBLESHOOT PERTAIN TO evilpotatoman Restore for MJ5--Doesn't trip Knox post
1. I had to run HD front end as admin
2. Change the operating system within HD front end properties to my comp OS.
3. Finally got the device to detect, but it wasn't the right driver because HD was not able to flash files to my phone.
4. Open Zadig again, and navigate to( Libusb 1.2.5) and install the driver under MSM8960.
MSM8960 has 3 driver within it. One of the is Window something, and the other 2 is the Libusb. The window driver doesn't always work, so try the others if it gives you a problem. In my case, I had to install libusb and that got me to complete the rest of the process on the tutorial.

Hopefully this help, or at least provide you with better details so you can guide your self to the solutions.
Don't forget to thank.