Free WiFi Tether Help

Search This thread

evo20110

Aug 26, 2011
Hi guys I really need some help here. Last night I set out to simply find a way to tether wifi from my GS3 for free. From my understanding that required me to root + download tether app with root admin rights. Apparently it appears to be more in depth than that  unless I’m missing something simple. I’ll just start by giving you my specs and tell you what I’ve done so far. Sorry for the long post.

Sprint
Galaxy S3
SPH-L710
JellyBean 4.3
Hardware L710.14
Stock kernel and rom

Followed the steps in this link to root it. It pretty much walks me through using Odin to root the phone. Looks like it also installs SuperSU for superuser access. I like the fact that it’s not too invasive, which is great because I simply want wifi tethering and am not looking for a custom kernel or rom. http://honai-android.blogspot.com/2013/11/how-to-root-galaxy-s3-sprint-sph-l710.html

Supersu
When I start the phone it says “Unfortunately SuperSU has stopped”
Downloaded the apk, ran it, launched ok, asked me to disable knox and said yes, rebooted phone, got same msg that supersu stopped, runs fine after install apk but fails after every reboot. Maybe knox is screwing with it?
No supersu update on the play store
Regardless I installed root checker and says the device has root access…

I downloaded a bunch of tethering apps I thought had root access but none actually enabled tethering.

Foxfi
When I use CDMA only (used this for troubleshooting purposes) Launch Foxfi, activate wifi hotspot, “unable to connect to data network, turning off hotspot. Your plan may not have hotspot service”’
When I use LTE/CDMA the popup message is you are not subscribed to the Hotspot service. Do you want to see subscription options?”
When I cancel out of that popup it says FoxFI hotspot ready and has the wifi icon on the notification bar but can’t find the wifi network on devices
Also it never requests superuser

1 click wifi tethering free
Launch, click enable, the notification bar says hotspot connected but then I get the same error “unable to connect to data network, turning off hotspot. Your plan may not have hotspot service”, still can’t see the network on other devices
When I use LTE/CDMA the popup message is you are not subscribed to the Hotspot service. Do you want to see subscription options?”
Also it never requests superuser

Wifi Tether TrevE Mod v3.3
Launch, opens fine, asks for superuser access, click button to enable tethering, get an error in the app that says “tethering started with errors! Please check ‘show log’”
Clicking show log gives me an error of “Unable to open log file. File does not exist.”
It still shows a message “Tethering is currently running…” under the “ongoing apps” section but still can’t find wifi network on other devices

Jtether
Launch, “says turning Wifi AP on” requests superuser access, eventually gets to the same message that says “unable to connect to data network, turning off hotspot. Your plan may not have hotspot service”
Oddly when I launch Jtether with FoxFI on I can see the FoxFI network for literally 1 second, but not long enough to connect. This only happens when I use CDMA only. When I use LTE/CDMA it never shows up at all.
I’ve uncovered a lot of issues but I don’t know where to start troubleshooting. Do I start with SuperSU errors or can they be omitted? Do I start with FoxFI error troubleshooting? Maybe start with finding out why TrevE’s tether mod has errors but log file can’t be found? Maybe the root method I used wasn’t ‘deep’ enough? If so what method should I use? I thought this would be way easier but hours and hours later, here I am with no wifi tethering. I hope you guys can help.

Thnx in advance!