Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Disabling preinstalled apps

14 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By DarkDarth, Junior Member on 9th January 2014, 02:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
There's two real reasons to do so
  1. To remove the icon from the drawer (in which case it is easy)
  2. Because they run as a background service which uses the internet or something else (perhaps you notice an impact on your battery life)
  3. Because you started and can't stop now
I think I'm at three. Right now, I'm just curious what all these pre-installed apps do. I've made a list of all applications, including whether you can disable them - see the attachment or

docs.google.com [slash]
spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtLlGgfkIOi0dDMwZF9xbkpXTE9
nMGFuMXdGRnIzbXc&usp=sharing

Please do provide information for the list. There are some gaps from before I started the list (including what some disabled apps do in terms of battery life, internet usage and other things).

In particular I cannot identify what apps are responsible for the running process "Motorola Services", nor what this does.

Finally, I would just like to collect information on what other things such as "com.qualcomm.atfwd" do (just out of curiosity).
Attached Files
File Type: xls moto-g-preinstalled.xls - [Click for QR Code] (24.5 KB, 670 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkDarth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DarkDarth Ad-Free

9th January 2014, 02:20 PM |#2  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 173

More
A few remarks:

- Google uses Google Play Services to bring the latest API features (like Google Maps V2, the new Geolocation API, Google Cloud Messaging etc.) to the end users without the need of a complete OS upgrade. If you disable it, you will lose features (and even functionality) in a bunch of third party apps. Also it does not have an icon in the app drawer.

- Google Search is not just the search bar on the home screen, it is the entire Google Now feature. I guess it is not a problem if you disable it, but you will lose Google Now as well.

- Google One Time Init is the wizard you are presented at first startup and after every factory reset. You can disable it but it does not have much effect on the phone. I guess the other similar app (One Time Init) is its Motorola-branded counterpart.

- Launcher is the default home screen of the device, you can disable it if you have any third party launchers installed. Don't disable it otherwise, or you will have a serious problem.

- Tags is the AOSP NFC app, since we don't have built-in NFC chip it is safe to disable.
The Following User Says Thank You to debaj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift debaj Ad-Free
9th January 2014, 08:24 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks Debaj, I've updated the google document.

When you say the launcher is the home screen, does that include the dock and app drawer?
9th January 2014, 08:29 PM |#4  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 173

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDarth

When you say the launcher is the home screen, does that include the dock and app drawer?

Yep, exactly.
31st January 2014, 03:48 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
You're still updating the list? I could help you a little
The Following User Says Thank You to emanu526 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift emanu526 Ad-Free
4th March 2014, 11:05 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanu526

You're still updating the list? I could help you a little

Yes, I still want to work on the list. Any help that you can give is appreciated. Bear in mind that you can add comments to the google docs spreadsheet, so my delay in replying won't prevent you from updating the sheet.

I plan to update to 4.4.2 soon as well, then I'll be able to do some tests on what affect these changes have on the battery life.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkDarth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DarkDarth Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)