**OFFICIAL** What Phone Should I Buy?

Search This thread

peetr_

Oct 28, 2010
I have seen DROID RAZR HD pictures right now and I think I have chosen my next phone.
I cannot wait to see that colorboost display, 2500 mAh battery, nice flat design, in my hand.
Until this phone comes out, I am staying with Photon 4G.

Electrify 2 doesn't look bad too, but it's a little old hardware (probably the same like RAZR and GN), but won't be expensive.

DROID RAZR HD is my next :)

soomat

Jun 22, 2010
Jakarta
will the rom of MB855(Sprint) work on ISW11M(AU KDDI)?

is there any difference between the two? will the custom rom works on both device?

pls help

Same question cause i just buy ISW11M(AU KDDI) that already unlocked for any gsm carrier on my country Indonesia & just wondering is my decision is right ..??

Cheers :)

J

JustWorksTechnology

Great thread! I do have to add something to this. Might not be part but I thought I would put this out there.

"Faster is not always better."

Why you ask? Well, after a lot of the Play Store reviews and some people can't run the simplest game such as Angry Birds without frustration on their shiny new Samsung Galaxy 3. I have an old Samsung Precedent that can play that... So, just thought I would throw that out there. Peace out! =]

peetr_

Oct 28, 2010
I have seen DROID RAZR HD pictures right now and I think I have chosen my next phone.
I cannot wait to see that colorboost display, 2500 mAh battery, nice flat design, in my hand.
Until this phone comes out, I am staying with Photon 4G.

Electrify 2 doesn't look bad too, but it's a little old hardware (probably the same like RAZR and GN), but won't be expensive.

DROID RAZR HD is my next :)

I have to say, that I changed my mind.
I don't want Amoled display and I found better device for me. It will be Xperia T.

peetr_

Oct 28, 2010
Razr, Atrix2 and Bionic are not worth upgrading from Photon. Hardware performance is the same. Just Razr maxx maybe, but only because of the battery.

zansatsu

Aug 3, 2010
Anything but Motorola. I'm thinking of Samsung.

Yes I necroed, and I don't care!

Last edited:

GPhoenix

May 10, 2010
A gsm user should not buy photon, i am photon user and i`m planning to sell it as soon as possible. Made some research i`m gonna buy samsung galaxy S sgh T989

Well considering the Photon 4G in the US uses CDMA then yes that would be true but if you don't want to be on Sprint or other CDMA carriers. Otherwise, I think it is a good phone if you are already on a CDMA carrier but need the flexibility of support for traveling internationally and use local carrier GSM networks. I am currently in Asia right now and the phone works just fine on multiple carriers in Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Anyhow it is a moot point now really, I am in agreement with you that users who are looking for a new phone at this point in time should steer away from the Photon as other phones that are more capable and have better specs are available. :good:

My suggestion is how about the Lenovo P700i which is an dual core dual sim dual standby GSM Android ICS phone with a nice battery life due to its 2500 mAh battery?

Last edited:

Demonlinx

Apr 17, 2011
Love the Photon!

I absolutely love my Photon 4G. By far the fastest phone I have ever owned. Especially with the Dual Core and the official ICS being released in Q4 from Motorola. :)

I'm going to have to agree. I love the dual core and all of the roms put out by Th3Bill and CM10 that has now been ported to the Photon 4G.

gelatino84

Sep 4, 2012
Until you're quad-core, I put MoPho up there with anything. There are kernels out to get 1.4ghz which on a tegra2 is more than adequate. For half (or better) the money Photon has HUGE value. SGS3 is right around the corner, though, and we have to expect that several other Quad's are right there with it. (obviously pertaining to US domestic carriers) Waiting is probably the best option, but if that is not an option, the MoPho is serious. :)

Samsung galaxy s2, died motorola photon for bootloader lock ICS :(

androiderb89

Dec 19, 2011
Bangalore
The camera on this phone sucks and there's no autofocus while recording videos. sucks ass. Plan to sell it.

PHONE IS A KING OTHERWISE!! ITS BORN TO LIVE!

cyberdog433

Jul 21, 2010
Personally, I played with a Note II at the Sprint store for half an hour or so and it's pretty nice and to my surprise appears to have a great radio in it! - Finally, a Samsung device that holds a signal better as well as my Photon. I had them side by side and the GN2 matched the signal reading and actually beat it by 2-3 DB (lower negative number) about half the time, I was impressed enough that I cam home and ordered one. I've been elligible for an upgrade for months and a nice quad-core with a good radio convinced me to do it. If you wonder why I ordered, I had a customer loyalty credit that can only be used online, which the store couldn't apply.

PS: Anyone looking for a rooted and unlocked Photon rocking CNA 3.6.6? - Don't know whether to sell it or keep and set it up on a GSM prepaid carrier for a spare.

heywired

Dec 23, 2010
Kenosha
Personally, I played with a Note II at the Sprint store for half an hour or so and it's pretty nice and to my surprise appears to have a great radio in it! - Finally, a Samsung device that holds a signal better as well as my Photon. I had them side by side and the GN2 matched the signal reading and actually beat it by 2-3 DB (lower negative number) about half the time, I was impressed enough that I cam home and ordered one. I've been elligible for an upgrade for months and a nice quad-core with a good radio convinced me to do it. If you wonder why I ordered, I had a customer loyalty credit that can only be used online, which the store couldn't apply.

PS: Anyone looking for a rooted and unlocked Photon rocking CNA 3.6.6? - Don't know whether to sell it or keep and set it up on a GSM prepaid carrier for a spare.

Yea I agree. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you for the Note 2. Me Likey! :p

ALBERTOSCLN

Feb 28, 2012
SOUTH BOSTON
Yea I agree. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you for the Note 2. Me Likey! :p
no no no ,i had the photom 4g and its a great phone ,,,after that i bought the galaxy s3 and the signal is so bad after that i switched to iphone 5 which has problem with 3g...now i have the lg optimus but i seen the radio is not so good signal strenght ,,,,i just care about reception and photom 4g is number one,,,,,i will buy it again....

yangj08

Dec 2, 2010
It can be Installed but will not work on AU network. But the US Cellular will work on AU KDDI network.

Custom rom won't work with you update the bootloader.

As an owner of an ISW11M (KDDI Photon) with an unlocked bootloader and Th3Bill's CM10.1-

Can't say a thing about stock ROMs. Don't plan on trying. But be careful about the bootloader- KDDI released an update that leaves the system version at 2.3.4 but perma-locks the bootloader. If the stock SMS app only receives SMSes, you're still safe. Unlock the bootloader and install a custom ROM. If the stock app does two-way texting, it's too late.

I got one because it was cheap and is ridiculously easy to unlock for American GSM compared to the Sprint version- at the cost of probably never being able to use Sprint.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Attention!

In light of all the posts that are deleted and/or closed due to many off-topic posts about what device a person should buy, I have created this official thread.

Although XDA is not a place to extensively talk about what device person should buy, some forums permit it. So to help keep the threads a little cleaner, you may post your questions here.

Granted there are other sites more into device reviews and comparisons, but in the interest of keeping some people happy, and to avoid getting posts deleted, this thread is created for people who have no idea what device to get.

In the end, you should still march your happy self to a shop, and play with the devices that are available. Only then will you be satisfied with your purchase.

Any posts elsewhere asking such questions, that should be in this thread, will still be deleted or closed. This includes posting multi-duplicated posts in several forums outside of official threads.

Thanks, and Hope you use this.