Recent iPhone users who migrated to the GS3 - Favorite Features?

Search This thread

mattedwards2686

Oct 16, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Finally found the problem with the headphone controls!

Switched to GS3 from a 4S.

Things I love about the GS3
-customizability
-screen size
-possibilities, I haven't even started using tasker, but the fact that you can install custom roms and kernels is just ridiculous
-how it plugs into your computer like a USB stick (itunes is possibly the worst program ever created, for me at least)
-being able to download music from mp3skull or other sites and have it play on any music player app
-jellybean > iOS6 all day every day
-the blacks on this SAMOLED display are superior
-notification tray where you can enable and disable wifi/bluetooth etc... (this is a big one as with the iphone you'd have to go into settings and all that)

Things I miss
-pictures seemed a bit more real on the iphone
-portability (this is a trade off really)
-compatible headsets and accessories (very few headsets with mics are compatible with the GS3)

I'm sure a I missed a lot but I can't think of them all right now.

I POSTED THE SOLUTION ON PAGE 4 of this post
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1935434
Just trying to spread the word:)

Sir_Brizz

Apr 14, 2009
Provo Area

Spawn026

Mar 2, 2011
Has anyone tried flashing android onto iphone hardware? The best of both worlds!
It's been done by hacker planetbeing. It was buggy and only compatible with the 3gs I think. You can still find info on it if you search but last I heard the project died after the initial launch

mattedwards2686

Oct 16, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
FYI you can post links once you have 5 posts. That's interesting information. I was trying to figure out why certain headsets didn't work on other Android phones as well and this makes sense. There are a couple of apps in the store that supposedly can translate the signals.

Its irritating that android never vocalized this issue. You would think that they would sell adapters like these in Best Buy or mobile outlets. I discovered this issue when I decided to make an XLR to 3.5mm cable. I was trying to do some mobile recording of some acoustic songs i wrote, so I bought the tips and wired it myself. Later, I wired one for a friend with an iphone and it didn't work. It wasn't until later that I discovered that Apple's pinout was different from the standard. I guess I'm just more irritated over the fact that new android users are going to have a negative impression of these great phones, unless the word is spread. I like apple product, I just wish we could all agree on one simple standard.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 16, 2011
Lexington
Main reason I decided to leave ios was because the jailbreaks aren't coming along any more either. There still isn't even an untethered jailbreak for the 4s let alone the 5.

Good riddance ios!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

FYI, there IS an untethered jailbreak for the 4S (as long as you're still on 5.1.1). But yeah, there's nothing for iOS 6 yet and judging by the responses of the usual jailbreak guys, there isn't one coming any time soon. That alone drives me away from my iPhone.

While I keep a 4S around, mainly because my wife is a fangirl (and I need to stay up-to-date on what's going on with iOS), I rarely use it. I only switch away from my S3 to the 4S when I feel a hint of boredom coming on. The funny thing is, every single time I switch to the 4S, within an hour, I'm switching back to the S3...LOL. iOS just feels so constricted and closed compared to my S3.

I debated and debated over dropping the $$$ to get the iPhone 5 (since I'll be passing my 4S to my wife and she'll be retiring her 4 soon). But after really giving it some thought, I opted to pick up a mint 32gb white 4S from the MP yesterday. The 5 is just having too many problems (contrary to what the fanboys will have you believe). I was reading a few threads on MacRumors yesterday where people are having problems with their 5's BENDING. Seriously. Some are claiming it's happening spontaneously (they're surmising that the battery is expanding and causing the soft aluminum frame to bend and crack) while others are bending them by accidentally sitting on their phones while they're in their back pockets. Either way, whether it's a battery issue or user error...that's just silly. I usually keep my S3 or 4S in my back pocket and have sat on both of them multiple times without issue. If you can now bend an iPhone 5 just by accidentally sitting on it...that's awful planning in using such a soft metal for the frame.

Bottom line for me...I love my S3. :good:

DJBBOX

Sep 14, 2012
Miami/Panama
I've been an iPhone user since 2007 and I just changed to my SGS3 from a 4S and I love it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG SGH-I747 using xda premium

Mitanc

Sep 29, 2012
Same here, but been using iPhone original, 3Gs, the 4, and the 4s.

Just picked up the S3, overall happy with it and am loving android and what can be done with it.

Lastly, the favorite features:

1. Haptic feedback
2. My vpn doesn't turn off when I shut the screen.
3. I feel like I am getting faster download speeds while using instagram or other apps.

sgstouch

Apr 5, 2012
All the customization and shortcuts to make everything easier to use..how you want it.

jradams76

Dec 21, 2011
Carmel
I upgraded from the iphone 3gs and its been a night and day difference. Overall for the better. I do miss the ability to hook my phk ne up to my cars radio via usb and controll it using the steering wheel. Hopefully when JB comes out I can do this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

theraffman

Jul 22, 2011
I upgraded from the iphone 3gs and its been a night and day difference. Overall for the better. I do miss the ability to hook my phk ne up to my cars radio via usb and controll it using the steering wheel. Hopefully when JB comes out I can do this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know for sure, but I think it's an issue with the protocols used. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the stereo manufacturer not using a compatible language. It's possible it won't ever be fixed but we can hope. This is the only thing I miss as well, I could additionally play Netflix on my in car theatre with an iPhone, no dice on any of my androids. Someone did come up with a way to use all share or something and was able to play video and everything but I still don't think the controls worked, but I'm not sure. Either way, it's a moot point, because vote tooth works fine for me and when I set music while driving I just let it roll, I don't sit there changing songs all day.

browy

Apr 1, 2012
Zürich
- I don't need that laggy iTunes every time I want to put some music or videos on my phone, and I don't have to convert them either.
- I use MY phone the way I want to use it, not the way some other people want me to use it.
- SD Card slot. I don't have to pay another 100 bucks just for 8 GB more of storage.
- I don't need to connect my phone to a PC or a laptop every time I update my firmware.
- I can install any version of ROM any time I want to. You want to downgrade your iOS to a previous firmware in order to be able to jealbreak it but you don't have the required SHSH blobs: you're screwed.
- Internal storage: Android after updating or installing another ROM: everything that was stored in the internal storage is still there (photos, music, videos). iPhone after updating firmware, everything's gone and you have to restore your whole media library again with that damn iTunes. In other words, I don't need a PC or a laptop and that memory hog iTunes to backup my media files or apps, I have the internal storage. Unlike the iPhone, my S3 is independent.
- I can customize the crap out of my S3. Sure you can jealbreak and install some tools like Winterboard, SBSettings or PerpageHTML to your iPhone in order to be able to customize it, but your iPhone will never be as smooth and fast as a S3 with all that tweaks installed.
- Face unlock.

Last edited:

Capa1970

Oct 28, 2012
I came from an iPhone 4, which I absolutely loved except for the smallish screen. The screen was the only reason I switched and I really wanted something a least 4.5 inches and the Galaxy 3 fit the bill (the Note was too large for me). I am completely stock and more than likely will not root. Things that I like about the Galaxy S3:

-the vey large screen
-the deep blacks
-Swype
-over the air updates
-how did I survive so long without a back button
-customization baby
-swappable battery
-micro sd card
-did I mention the large screen

Things that I miss about the iPhone 4:

-the very bright screen. The Galaxy is perfectly fine indoors but it really suffers outdoors.
-battery life. I average around 3 hours of screen time on the Galaxy which, personally, I consider poor. The Galaxy is rated for more talk time but I spend maybe 20 minutes a day on the phone so this point for me is moot. I Facebook and surf for hours every day and need lots of screen time.
-consistent and prompt updates (when will we get the Jellybean update and will there even be an update after that)

ternzer

Sep 23, 2012
I came from an iphone 4 and was completely disapointed in the iphone 5. whoo hoo and extra row of apps for only $200.
after days with my galaxy s3 i had my iphone and 2 ipads on ebay. now have a galaxy note 10 and nexus 7 as replacements. no regrets.

anyway here are my favorites:

- install/remove apps from the web.
- no stupid itunes, the most frustrating program on the planet.
- NFC - i love it. and google wallet too.
- simply draging and dropping music and movies i want
- nice dropbox integration
almost forgot
- speech to text in the sms app
- voice navigation
- swiftkey keyboard and predictive text

i bought my iphone because it was cutting edge at the time. now android is miles ahead.

Last edited:

DroidDoesAll

Nov 5, 2012
I came from 1 year of a 3Gs and 2 years of a 4. I couldn't handle the lack of customization and innovation. Even jailbroken.

That being said, I love my GS3 and I will never go back to iOS. Anything I have thought of so far that I wanted to do with my S3 I have been able to do, and I haven't even rooted yet.

The camera features, google integration, speed, size, external memory, removable battery, etc.

Also, the devs that work on Android content seem to really love to take innovation as far as possible giving Android users an endless amount of tinkering with our gadgets that we love so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

impairedworld

Oct 23, 2012
Worldwide
www.facebook.com
looking for something to replace Activator.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

I came from 1 year of a 3Gs and 2 years of a 4. I couldn't handle the lack of customization and innovation. Even jailbroken.

That being said, I love my GS3 and I will never go back to iOS. Anything I have thought of so far that I wanted to do with my S3 I have been able to do, and I haven't even rooted yet.

Also, the devs that work on Android content seem to really love to take innovation as far as possible giving Android users an endless amount of tinkering with our gadgets that we love so much.

If and when you do root, i am using Task and Ktoonsez ROM....this dude updates his ROM every 3-4 days, sometimes less.

Reactions: DroidDoesAll

hidea

I still have my iPhone 5, and that's my primary line.

I like both equally, but since the OP is asking my favorite feature, it's gotta be those motion controls. Those are REALLY cool. And basically the other "Smart" features that (smart rotation, smart brightness settings). I'm gonna blame the lack of these actually super useful features on the iOS on Forestalls (heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh).

My second favorite thing about the SGS3 is probably the keyboard (Swype-like).

Aside from that, I'm still very much an iOS guy. Something about Holo/Android UI isn't for me. But hey, it's free from work, so why turn it down? :p

impairedworld

Oct 23, 2012
Worldwide
www.facebook.com
I still have my iPhone 5, and that's my primary line.

I like both equally, but since the OP is asking my favorite feature, it's gotta be those motion controls. Those are REALLY cool. And basically the other "Smart" features that (smart rotation, smart brightness settings). I'm gonna blame the lack of these actually super useful features on the iOS on Forestalls (heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh).

My second favorite thing about the SGS3 is probably the keyboard (Swype-like).

Aside from that, I'm still very much an iOS guy. Something about Holo/Android UI isn't for me. But hey, it's free from work, so why turn it down? :p

When i was initially making the switch(jailbroken iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1).....i said to myself, i will have to walk around with both devices, and keep switching SIM or just tether data to the iPhone, since S3 is LTE, and would only need data to the iPhone to use for whatever.

After the first day, with serious research and setting up my S3....i left the iPhone home, because the S3 covered about 85% of what i needed.
Nova Launcher Prime, WidgetLocker, Easy phone Sync, iMediashare(for Airplay), jetAudio Plus, Locale, Tasker, Mp3 ringtone maker, Notifier Pro, Procapture, Shush!, SmartkeyboardPro, Airdroid, Life360, Dropbox and Zedge....to name a few, helped with my transition.

Yes no iMessage, but i am using Hookt, and i have Whats App installed(but never really used it, although its powerful).
No FaceTime, but i have Tango.

I used Reminders everyday.....don't see a way to merge with google, but i am testing Gtasks, Astrid tasks, Gnotes, anyDo to work with PuRe Calendar(widget)....kinda pissed, because i have a Mac with the Reminders App also, but the Reminders App on Mac doesn't sync with Google Tasks.

I got fed up with waiting for a Jailbreak(still not out for i5). While stock Android is like being jailbroken, no need to root, and can have your device setup the same way.

hidea

When i was initially making the switch(jailbroken iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1).....i said to myself, i will have to walk around with both devices, and keep switching SIM or just tether data to the iPhone, since S3 is LTE, and would only need data to the iPhone to use for whatever.

After the first day, with serious research and setting up my S3....i left the iPhone home, because the S3 covered about 85% of what i needed.
Nova Launcher Prime, WidgetLocker, Easy phone Sync, iMediashare(for Airplay), jetAudio Plus, Locale, Tasker, Mp3 ringtone maker, Notifier Pro, Procapture, Shush!, SmartkeyboardPro, Airdroid, Life360, Dropbox and Zedge....to name a few, helped with my transition.

Yes no iMessage, but i am using Hookt, and i have Whats App installed(but never really used it, although its powerful).
No FaceTime, but i have Tango.

I used Reminders everyday.....don't see a way to merge with google, but i am testing Gtasks, Astrid tasks, Gnotes, anyDo to work with PuRe Calendar(widget)....kinda pissed, because i have a Mac with the Reminders App also, but the Reminders App on Mac doesn't sync with Google Tasks.

I got fed up with waiting for a Jailbreak(still not out for i5). While stock Android is like being jailbroken, no need to root, and can have your device setup the same way.

iMessage is utter ****, and I really wanted to like it. Hit/miss, really. The other day, it wiped my entire conversation list. Fortunately (issit really?) it restored the entire list the next day; but with messed up conversations between the time the conversation disappeared and when it was restored.

Reminders isn't that great for me; I'm a huge fan of Things on Mac & iOS. Astrid/Producteev are probably your best bet, if you don't mind a web interface, check out Asana. We use Asana at work, not the best, but ideal for our needs. If you can live with the basic todo list, check out Tasks on the PlayStore, minimalistic todo app with full Holo UI. IIRC, Tasks syncs with Google Task. Also, on the Mac, check out GoTasks, we used this before switching to Asana for work.

Really missing Tweetbot. I know there are other apps that are "close" to being the Tweetbot of Android, such as Boid, but man… those apps are still buggy. Or maybe just plain broken with my SGS3. Back/Up affordance are often mixed up. Pressing the "back" (really, it's up) on the Action Bar, often behaves the same as pressing Back on the softkey. Odd behaviour. Plus, there's no Push Notification. My team and I often tweet to send critical messages; quicker than Email. We tend to turn off push Email, and we're pretty headstrong about using twitter to do short messaging.

I haven't search for any decent Android ADN client yet. I use Netbot on my iOS devices.

I bought a few podcatchers in the past, but I haven't go through 'em one by one. I use Instacast on my iOS devices.

My biggest complaint since I started using my SGS3: Android apps are hideous looking. Very few manage to fully adapt the Google Interface Guideline. I don't blame the devs, I blame Google for not providing easy access to those HIG docs. I'm well aware of the developer-design site, but that's nothing compared to what Apple provided for their developers.

browy

Apr 1, 2012
Zürich
looking for something to replace Activator.
I've been looking for months too. Tasker might be a good replacement but it's quite complicated to use, it's much more powerful in comparison to Activator so it will take time for you to get use to it. If you want to give it a try, I suggest you watch this tutorial first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhnOJl5mTo
Another similar app is GMD GestureControl ★ root.
I've tried them both but uninstalled them after a few days. Tasker for me is quite a memory hog, although it doesn't consume battery (or very little), it constantly runs in the background eating up 50+ MB of ram, that's why I ditched it. I mean I don't really need it anyway. I'm on ParanoidAndroid ROM, which has a feature that allows you to remap the buttons under Setting, System, Hardware Keys (AOKP Roms also have this feature too, I guess). And beside, I'm using SwipePad: Hyperspace which is very useful too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys.

So it seems like a number of people here have recently migrated over from iPhone, just curious what are your all favorite features/apps since you switched over.

I used an iPhone 3 from 2008-2010 and then an iPhone 4 from 2008-Sept 2012. I was jailbroken on those devices but still pretty blown away by many Android functions. I loved loved loved my iPhone when I first got one, back in the day they were so damned ahead of the curve, but over time HTC/Samsung has caught up and they are no longer making truly impressive devices worthy of me overpaying for them, and to have the Nanny state of Apple telling me what apps I am capable of using. Those are the main reasons I made the switch. Although I still kind of miss the smaller size of my iPhone.

ANYWAYYYYS....things I love since I made the switch:

1. TORRENTS! You could never ever get a Torrent application from the Apple App Store. I use "adownloaded" via the Google Play Store. I love mainly the ability to switch between various torrent trackers and even grab torrents from some of the private torrent sites I use (ones for music / video). If I feel like listening to some old album I don't have on my PC at home, simple just grab the torrent. Forgot to DL the new Boardwalk Empire, just grab it off a tracker via Adownloader.

2. Power management options. Having an app to turn off power hog features (wifi, mobile data, gps, etc) when the screen is turned off and then booting them all back up quickly when I turn the screen back on. I use "Go Power Master" for this and love it. You don't need to be rooted to do it either.

3. Themes / visual customization. Animated backgrounds, etc. Some of those things were available to jailbroken (and JB saavy) iPhone users but it was extreeemly buggy and problematic when I tried to mess with visual display customization with my jailbroken iPhones. Here its entirely simple to do for non-root and root users.

4. Battery replacement / external memory. Bought 2 extra batteries and an external battery charger off ebay for only $20 all included. Yes maybe that's a testament to the...not so amazing battery life of the GS3, but I still love the option of having extra 100% charged batteries at home and in the office in case I forget to charge my GS3. Down to 10% and no time to charge? Pull off the ottebox and throw another battery in. Also love the external memory, bought a 32GB micro SD as soon as I got my GS3. Blows my mind that Apple charges $100 extra to go from 16gb to 32gb and to 64gb (when it's been proven online it only costs them $10 to raise the memory....a 90% margin customers have to pay....retarded. A lot of my iPhone devotee friends would just tell me to get the 16gb and keep all my extra music/movies "in the cloud". Fuuuuuuck that. Why blow my wireless data plan constantly DLing albums from my Cloud account rather than just having a phone with a decent amount of memory.

5. Video playback. GS3 has flawlessly played everything I've thrown at it, without any conversion. AVI's / XVID / X264 / MKV / VOB, MP4, alll of it. It's a far far cry from trying to get any bloody files to play on the iPhone, iTunes was so prickly with formats that even many .MP4's I downloaded wouldnt sync properly with iPhone. It was a major pain in the ass to throw videos on the iPhone because so many would require conversion. Even the third party apps in the app store that could play SOME AVI/XVID would get buggy and be unable to play back 50% of anything I threw at it.
    you guys got most the pros and cons pretty much right.

I think having had an iPhone for many years and now having a top-quality Android device, you really get to see that there are many pretty advantages to each device. I dont think the Apple fanboys or the "Fandroids" have a perfect case to make for each device. With the GS3 I sacrifice a few things that I loved about iPhone but the things and possibilities I get in return with Android / GS3 kind of blow me away.

but I'm learning there are some shortcuts to some of the "too many clicks" issues:

if you go into Contact and want to call someone quickly, the common gripe is you select a name and instead of it launching a call to that name, you go into the contact details. there are Swipe Left and Swipe Right features in Contacts. Look up a contact and Swipe Right and it should launch straight into a call, Swipe Left and it will start a text to that name.
    Admittedly, the slowdown and lag with Jellybean isn't as a common issue, but if you have it as I do it is very annoying. I will probably root after the warranty expires and possibly and hopefully that will fix the heat and slight lag issue.

Root makes everything better. ;)

Seriously. :D
    I had an iPhone since 2007. In the beginning, and up until recently they were amazing. I feel like every iteration since the iPhone 4 has gotten less and less innovative. The S3 has some amazing features and the fact that you can tweak it in every direction is pretty great. Android was new and weird at first coming from iOS but now that I'm more comfortable, its amazing.
    My favorite features of the S3 over iPhone 5:

Larger Screen:

This is a nice feature compared to the tiny iPhone 5 screen. This was one of the main reasons why I made the switch.

Colored LED Notifications:

This is a nice feature which doesn't exist on the iPhone 5. With the ability to customize the colors for of the different app notifications is a treat.

Removable Back Cover:

How nice it is to be able to swap/replace the battery with ease compared to the iPhone 5. Not to mention the difference in price replacing the back cover on each device.

Micro-USB vs. Apple proprietary cable:

Nuff said.

I could go on and on and on but since this is my first post on this forum, I will keep it short and sweet. ;)

-slimshotty