[Q] Sprint LG Optimus G bootloop and partition error?

Search This thread

Crazyglue

May 9, 2014
So a couple of days ago, I was using my phone when a bunch of google services or whatever started crashing nonstop (com.google.whatever was the service). So after pressing Okay for 30 seconds I managed to reboot my phone. The phone booted into android no problem, except it was as if I did a factory reset. I checked to see if I could install apps, but the sdcard had 0.00b free. Weird. This was at 9 pm so I just went to sleep a couple hours later, deciding to stop at the sprint store first thing in the morning.

So I'm at the sprint store and the guy basically has no clue why the above happened, but he says we got into the recovery mode on the phone and asked if it was okay to do a factory reset. I said fine and he did it. Now I'm stuck in a boot loop. Stopping the device from boot looping is a tricky in itself, but when I do get it to shut off, I CAN enter download mode. I rarely can get into the recovery menu (holding vol down and power on boot).

So now I get home and I'm looking up how to unbrick my phone. I come across a few guides that say to use LG Flash Tool, and LGNPST. I have the .bin, .tot, and .dll files needed to flash my phone. When I use LGFT I get a weird error, see image.

aRt8g1A.png

5vTadHd.png

A similar error occurs in LGNPST something about a Master Bin error and primary gpt in the 512th sector. These error all occur when trying to download information from the phone, literally the first thing it tries to do.

I even tried the LG Mobile Support tool and doing an upgrade recovery. After downloading the bit the program throws an error. Nothing specific, but its probably for the same reason as above.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I feel like I've tried everything, and google searching these errors doesn't help much.

Last edited:

engine95

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
A few things. That version of LGNPST is old. You need to use 2.?? I can't remember the version but you'll find it in teeny bin thread under "Additional info".
Read the FAQ and the root guide. They'll help you get into stock recovery. It can be a little tricky til you figure it out.
So before you LGNPST, go into stock recovery, and Factory reset again and see what happens. If that doesn't work then LGNPST with the newer version from the teeny bin thread.

Edit. Sorry, just noticed the pic is flashtool. Thing is about the Flashtool is if you're unlocked it won't work right. LGNPST, once set up works great.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Crazyglue

May 9, 2014
A few things. That version of LGNPST is old. You need to use 2.?? I can't remember the version but you'll find it in teeny bin thread under "Additional info".
Read the FAQ and the root guide. They'll help you get into stock recovery. It can be a little tricky til you figure it out.
So before you LGNPST, go into stock recovery, and Factory reset again and see what happens. If that doesn't work then LGNPST with the newer version from the teeny bin thread

The LGNPST version I'm using is 2.2.3, the most up-to-date version, afaik.

The LG Flash Tool version is 1.4.1 maybe not the most up-to-date, but every program is throwing an error.

engine95

Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
The LGNPST version I'm using is 2.2.3, the most up-to-date version, afaik.

The LG Flash Tool version is 1.4.1 maybe not the most up-to-date, but every program is throwing an error.

Just edited my above post sorry bout that.
Use LGNPST and use the right DLL. NOT the one for Flashtool.
When you go into DL mode press and hold vol up+down together then plug in USB. In my account at Dev host is the correct dll for LGNPST

Edit. Here's the link. http://d-h.st/T4w

Last edited:

Crazyglue

May 9, 2014
Just tried LGNPST again. Here is the image with the settings, files, and error that I get.

(cant post links) imgur com 5vTadHd.png

This happens while it is doing the "Masterbin D/L" process. It gets to about 85% then throws this error.

engine95

Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
Just tried LGNPST again. Here is the image with the settings, files, and error that I get.

(cant post links) imgur com 5vTadHd.png

This happens while it is doing the "Masterbin D/L" process. It gets to about 85% then throws this error.
I'm at a loss on that error. But if it's getting to 85% is it rebooting to the ROM? I have never seen it get to 100%. 67% it reboots then goes to 85% and boots up.
Maybe try to get into Stock recovery now and do a Factory Reset
LGFlashtool I have no idea. It's never worked for me, Sorry

Crazyglue

May 9, 2014
I'm at a loss on that error. But if it's getting to 85% is it rebooting to the ROM? I have never seen it get to 100%. 67% it reboots then goes to 85% and boots up.
Maybe try to get into Stock recovery now and do a Factory Reset
LGFlashtool I have no idea. It's never worked for me, Sorry

LGNPST doesn't even get to flash, it gets to 85% when downloading the masterbin, then throws the error. The phone doesn't do anything, still sits there with "DOWNLOAD MODE" displayed

Crazyglue

May 9, 2014
This is the screen after I click OK to the error (see post #5).

i imgur com iDSsKdv.png

Last edited:

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
I am pretty sure that if you read the directions in the teeny bin thread, or any thread for that matter regarding the lg flash tool, you would know that at that point as far as I remember, you are supposed to restart your phone. It will never and I mean NEVER reach 100%.

here is the original post with a link to the original thread. just click the arrow.

1. Download TeenyBin then extract. The .bin you extract is used w/LGNPST. LGNPST can be found in the "Additional Info" section of this post.
2. Put phone into download mode. Flash TeenyBin. The flash should take about 20 seconds. The phone will reboot at 67% or 85%. Flash complete. All finished.. maybe...
3. Your phone may not boot up! If so you must power off the phone(hold power button for up to 60 seconds).. boot into fastboot. No fastboot still? Did you flash the Teenybin[SBL Unlock]? From fastboot, boot into recovery. In recovery you can restore a backup or flash a custom rom zip. All fixed.

Nothing working? You're doing it wrong(or have a weird/broken phone. Did you read this entire post... including everything under the "Additional Information" section at bottom? Last resort would be to flash the FULL STOCK bin for your exact model LG OG.

Last edited:

Crazyglue

May 9, 2014
I am pretty sure that if you read the directions in the teeny bin thread, or any thread for that matter regarding the lg flash tool, you would know that at that point as far as I remember, you are supposed to restart your phone. It will never and I mean NEVER reach 100%.

here is the original post with a link to the original thread. just click the arrow.

I feel like you didn't read the entire thread. However, I still tried to follow that thread using teenybin to flash the phone. Same error occurs, the Masterbin D/L process gets and error in the 512th sector of the phone (see post #5, sorry I still can't post full links). The phone does NOT reboot on its own. It stays in download mode. Upon manual rebooting, the same bootloop occurs.

Edit: I added the image from post #5 to the OP.

Last edited:

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
I feel like you didn't read the entire thread. However, I still tried to follow that thread using teenybin to flash the phone. Same error occurs, the Masterbin D/L process gets and error in the 512th sector of the phone (see post #5, sorry I still can't post full links). The phone does NOT reboot on its own. It stays in download mode. Upon manual rebooting, the same bootloop occurs.

Edit: I added the image from post #5 to the OP.
So reading your comments very carefully I see what you mean, there is a file that stops "downloading" at 85%? I thought that was the spot that it stopped at, if I remember right it says that when flashing the phone it means it is downloading to the phone.

The thread I mentioned can give you all kinds of files, you need to get the correct ones for your situation. There is even one for a virtual machine setup, at this point I would seriously suggest that one because it has every single file on it to restore your phone to stock, all partitions.

I think there is something wrong with your drivers or some software that is interfering with the restore process.

In that thread there is information regarding the irc, go there and read the "you probably wont read this" link at the top. It will give you information for what you need.

If you followed everything step by step, you will either end up with a working phone, or you have a true brick. (I am leaning away from that last one since you can get into recovery and download mode).

I see that you have only chose the dll, are you not able to also choose the bin (see the pic, middle at the bottom just above "START")?

6XERvDQ.png

Did you try to flash the FULL stock bin for your phone or the teeny bin? The teeny bin will give you recovery and you can restore a rom or backup from there. The full stock bin will return everything to stock but you need the specific one for your phone.

Last edited:

Crazyglue

May 9, 2014
So reading your comments very carefully I see what you mean, there is a file that stops "downloading" at 85%? I thought that was the spot that it stopped at, if I remember right it says that when flashing the phone it means it is downloading to the phone.

The thread I mentioned can give you all kinds of files, you need to get the correct ones for your situation. There is even one for a virtual machine setup, at this point I would seriously suggest that one because it has every single file on it to restore your phone to stock, all partitions.

I think there is something wrong with your drivers or some software that is interfering with the restore process.

In that thread there is information regarding the irc, go there and read the "you probably wont read this" link at the top. It will give you information for what you need.

If you followed everything step by step, you will either end up with a working phone, or you have a true brick. (I am leaning away from that last one since you can get into recovery and download mode).

I see that you have only chose the dll, are you not able to also choose the bin (see the pic, middle at the bottom just above "START")?

6XERvDQ.png

Did you try to flash the FULL stock bin for your phone or the teeny bin? The teeny bin will give you recovery and you can restore a rom or backup from there. The full stock bin will return everything to stock but you need the specific one for your phone.

I've tried flashing the stock bin (800mb+) and the teenybin as well (in the OP on right of the LGNPST screen cap is the full bin I used). As for the virtual machine setup you mentioned, I don't see any files in that thread that would help me in that regard, most of the files besides the teenybin .bin are modem files. There is a link in the OP to another guide of his that repairs EFS partitions, but I'm not sure if that's what I need to do.

As for any confusion on what is getting to 85%; when using LGNPST the device is listed with the model, port#, process, and status. When I attempt to flash the phone, the process changes to Masterbin D/L and gets to 85%. When that happens the error in the screen shot occurs and the status column changes to "Error". The process column still says "Masterbin D/L" and the phone stays in Download mode, not restarting.

Edit: Image for even more clarification....
e3nWNno.png

Last edited:

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
As for the virtual machine setup you mentioned, I don't see any files in that thread that would help me in that regard, most of the files besides the teenybin .bin are modem files. There is a link in the OP to another guide of his that repairs EFS partitions, but I'm not sure if that's what I need to do.

http://pastebin.com/ksfdhjGz

This is the link I am referring to. It is in the additional information section with a spoiler that says click to show content.

engine95

Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
@Crazyglue If I'm seeing your pics right, you're using the E970 bin which is not Sprint. You need to use ZVC which you can find in the root guide. The Sprint versions from old to new are ZV7, ZV8, ZV9,ZVB,ZVC. With ZVC being our most current.
I may be wrong on what LGNPST displays, but just check your bin file.

Crazyglue

May 9, 2014
@Crazyglue If I'm seeing your pics right, you're using the E970 bin which is not Sprint. You need to use ZVC which you can find in the root guide. The Sprint versions from old to new are ZV7, ZV8, ZV9,ZVB,ZVC. With ZVC being our most current.
I may be wrong on what LGNPST displays, but just check your bin file.

You are not looking at my screenshot. Thats dopy25's reference pic. As for the bin file; "LS970ZVC_02.SVC_02.P25015.cab" is my file, or the TeenyBin file I tried earlier today.

Crazyglue

May 9, 2014
Just humor me for a minute.
1. Do not use USB 3.0
2. What recovery do you have right now?
3. Dl this and unzip. I'm pretty sure the dll is in it. http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23134718111252790
4. Check you LG drivers. I think it's still 3.10
5. What operating system are you using?
Let's just start all over.

1. I've tried both with no luck.
2. Stock recovery
3. No dll in the zip but I tried using the bin, still no luck.
4. lg drivers are up to date
5. I've tried my laptop and my desktop (win 7 64bit and win8 64bit), same results.

If it's boot looping get back into recovery and do a factory reset

Sent from my SM-T217S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

A factory reset does nothing. Same with wiping the cache.