[MOD]Key layout for people who installed Gingerbread on SGH-T959D ( Telus Fascinate )

Search This thread

kennydied23

Oct 6, 2009
It will probably work on verizon fascinate too since hardware is exactly the same. But it's risky to try.

The VZW fascinate and Telus fascinate are completely different in terms of hardware and software. One of the biggest differences is that VZW fascinate has a CDMA radio and the Telus fascinate has a GSM radio.

If it is just a I9000 rom with the hardware keys changed to work with the Telus Fascinate, then it won't work for the VZW fascinate (without a lot of hacking) because of the differences in hardware and software.
Errrr....

Isn't the Telus Fascinate HSPA while the Verizon version is CDMA? And while they share a name, the model number for the Telus Fascinate is T959D, making it a t-Mobile Vibrant variant....

This.

bobloblaw1

May 25, 2010
I'm far from any sort of expert so please don't take what I say as gospel.

But I don't think that would work based on what the devs have been doing. I know that we have some hardware differences including radio, memory size, and partitioning. Also, I think SirGatez has been busy porting a kernel over from the i9000 so there are at least some incompatibilities there too I'd imagine.

Again, this is my own guesswork and from seeing people flash i9000 ROMS to their Verizon Fascinates and ending up with temporary paperweights. Maybe you have made a breakthrough...I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing the rest of what you have to say.

Regardless of the outcome, thank you for the effort and attempt at getting us GB.

daoom

Mar 28, 2008
Montreal
DO NOT DO WHATEVER IS DESCRIBED IN THIS THREAD UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT BRICKING YOUR PHONE

Download mode WONT be accessible too, as the XWJV1 rom update the secondary boot loader, which is not compatible with our key. There is a way to install these rom without having access to reboot in recovery and download mode by pressing key at boot.

DO NOT FLASH BOOTLOADERS, YOU EVENTUALLY WILL REGRET IT

Remember people flashing ROMs which updated sbl.bin and bricked ****? Well, it's highly likely the same will happen if you follow the instructions posted by the OP. Not only that, but with download mode disabled after flashing there is no easy way to recover.

SirGatez

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Seattle, FL
There is actually a keymask for Fascinate it is 0xFFFF & for most GSM SGS it is 0xFF, I figured it out when having issues with reversed back/home keys on my I9000 compile for Fascinate about 2 weeks ago. That is why back and home acted odd on Fascinate with an I9000 kernel. :) If I remember right I think it is located in s3c-keypad.c or s3c-keypad.h enjoy!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

SirGatez

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Seattle, FL
I'm far from any sort of expert so please don't take what I say as gospel.

But I don't think that would work based on what the devs have been doing. I know that we have some hardware differences including radio, memory size, and partitioning. Also, I think SirGatez has been busy porting a kernel over from the i9000 so there are at least some incompatibilities there too I'd imagine.

Again, this is my own guesswork and from seeing people flash i9000 ROMS to their Verizon Fascinates and ending up with temporary paperweights. Maybe you have made a breakthrough...I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing the rest of what you have to say.

Regardless of the outcome, thank you for the effort and attempt at getting us GB.

Your right alot of things that fail to work because a few bytes of code or a flag missing, overall everything works source to source but there are lots of seemingly unimportant and small changes that are the difference between it works, and it.works great the way it is suppose to work.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

bobloblaw1

May 25, 2010
Yup that seems it might be the case on jt's kernel built from mes source. Some people have working buttons and others have two back buttons.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA Premium App

chadouming

Aug 27, 2009
On the interwebz
how am i suppose to flash this with jvk..no cwm..and this is a zip. not a tar.? for odin

This is made to be flash with CWM and it is ONLY for telus SGH-T959D phone with a GT-I9000 Gingerbread rom installed on it. I'd suggest to not flash those rom, since as stated on first post, this will break your Bootloader making you unable to get into download or recovery by holding key at boot. This will NOT work on froyo as home key is seen as back key (ID 158) and not as another unused key.

snufy99

Jan 14, 2011
Ive found most I9000 and vibrant roms work, the issue with I9000 is the missing home key it usually acts as another back, With the vibrant roms just flash a I9000 kernal and modem and it works perfectly. The only other issue is sometimes with the I9000 some of them wont pick up wifi. I also use non boot loader versions so no trouble there. I had gingerbread working perfectly on the phone with everything working... I just didn't have this file as a .tar to flash through odin to get the home button. Currently I'm running a darky 9.3, stock+froyo+voodoo kernal, and i9000zsjpe modem...works great, quadrant scores in the 1500s. Anyways... do you have the file that i can flash through odin?

chadouming

Aug 27, 2009
On the interwebz
Currently I'm running a darky 9.3, stock+froyo+voodoo kernal, and i9000zsjpe modem...works great, quadrant scores in the 1500s. Anyways... do you have the file that i can flash through odin?

Darky's 9.x rom series are froyo rom. This trick cannot be used with froyo rom. You would need to use darky's 10.X beta or another rom wich is gingerbread. This does not modify the key ID but the way the keys are being used by the rom. Currently, these file can only be flashed under CWM, which is added to voodoo gingerbread kernel. I'll leave the files to enter recovery the easy way on first post.

raffness

Oct 1, 2010
YES! Thank you. I've been looking for a solution for this forever. I didn't flash the zip, but I edited the left/right home/search key mapping as you suggested and it worked great.

Great tip!

Grondinm

Feb 18, 2008
Moncton
so this is a shot in the dark. but would this work with the CM9 beta builds? I miss my home and search buttons?

krarvind

Jun 15, 2011
Saint John, NB
so this is a shot in the dark. but would this work with the CM9 beta builds? I miss my home and search buttons?

It should work. All it does, is replace a couple files under system/usr/keylayout. you don't have to flash the zip file in cwm, you can simply extract those two files, use root explorer to push and set permissions to rw-r-r, then reboot.I am assuming you flashed a GB I9000 rom ( before cm9) on it which messed up your key combo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LEAKED GINGERBREAD FOR I9000 WILL KILL VERIZON PHONE'S RADIO.

IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, YOU WILL MOSTLY BRICK YOUR PHONE. This is only for Telus Fascinate SGH-T959D.

Since the developement of Gingerbread on I9000 is going really well, i decided to upgrade the script for CWM 3.0. I am using GB rom on my phone since the day it was out and it's pretty awesome. But I still warn people who might want to do it, that if you dont know how to do it, you will probably kill your phone.I also attached reboot to recovery and download script for people with rom who doesn't allow that.

If you dont want introduction, skip to blue line

Ever wanted to have Gingerbread on your fascinate? Tried it but missing the home and search key was too inconvenient ? If you answered yes to one of those question, you are like me :D. I tried many GT I9000 ( Internationnal (European) Galaxy S) Rom, with 2.2.1 i was missing the home button. With 2.3.2 beta leaked, i was missing home AND search which i tought was too much. I tried back 2.3.2 with Supercurio Voodoo lagfix injected stock kernel and found that it was running amazing but that i was still missing my home and search key. Quickly, i have done a key test under clockworkmod recovery (Also in Supercurio kernel ) and to my surprise, home key id was 105, search key id was 106 and back key was 158. 158 was the back key in froyo and home key id was also 158. So now theorically, i was able to do something ^^. That's what i did and a few minute later i had a fully fonctionnal gingerbread rom on my fascinate.
    The point was to edit /system/usr/keylayout/"Melfas_touchkey.kl"&"qwerty.kl" key template to get them working. I changed the RIGHTDPAD and LEFTDPAD to HOME and SEARCH, changing WAKE_DROPPED state for HOME to WAKE and voila.

__________________DISCLAIMER_________________

1 a) If you dont know how to use odin, you should not attempt to flash any new firmware to you phone.
    b) Please take note that boot in recovery with the key wont be possible anymore after flashing XWJVH. Download mode WONT be accessible too, as the XWJVH rom update the secondary boot loader, which is not compatible with our key. There is a way to install these rom without having access to reboot in recovery and download mode by pressing key at boot. Custom home made jig is the best in the case you would softbreak your phone. So i would tell you to not do this unless you have a homemade jig.

/*
    Again, I will make a tutorial for people who dont know how to flash custom rom or gingerbread rom, so if you are not ready to risk a brick then dont try this.
    */-- THIS WON'T BE MADE FOR NOW.

The author or anyone who refer to this thread cant be held responsible for any damage done to your phone, repair price, if your house start burning, if the star start falling, or if anything else go wrong. You know what you are doing and by doing the things explained in this thread on 1st, 2nd and 3rd post, you confirm that you hereby accept the consequence of such act.

This said, I wont try to harm yor phone but it's still good to remember to people that flashing rom is risky and might be harmful.

I use GT I9000 rom on my phone for about 4 month now and it didnt hurt it, this is the rason why i share trick and instruction on how to install them on other phone but this doesnt protect your phone.

I know i have a lot of disclaimer and i might be repeating myself but i dont want to have problem and make people thing two time before starting

Time to help you now.

__________________DISCLAiMER END_____________________
    (If you are colorblind and skipped to this line where it was said to skip to blue, this line is orange line. Blue line is two line higher(Not counting the orange one you just skipped to) just higher of the disclaimer line. Start reading from this line(blue one) please.)

THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH FROYO

For people who want to know what is a homemade jig that i'm speaking often, here is the thread you must see

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=819551

This is the most useful tester tool.
    Reserved 2nd post for Tutorial
    Errrr....

Isn't the Telus Fascinate HSPA while the Verizon version is CDMA? And while they share a name, the model number for the Telus Fascinate is T959D, making it a t-Mobile Vibrant variant....
    yea but your thread has an attractive title and a lot of text that a lot of people wont read as thoroughly as they should, no matter how colorful you make it.

And yes, verizon is CDMA. Flashing this rom on a verizon fascinate is a brick. No ifs ands or buts.

Changed it to let people know it won't be working on verizon, sry all.