Best music player solution for OTG/USB drive?

Search This thread

itm

Jan 1, 2007
I have a rooted Nexus 7 which I'd like to use in conjunction with a large external USB drive as a high-capacity music player. The music player provided with Nexus media importer is pretty basic (no playlist/search functionality etc), so I was wondering whether anyone had any good ideas for turning the USB/OTG media player into a more "native" style solution. For example, is it possible to mount the USB drive so that it would be visible to something like Doubletwist?

itm

Jan 1, 2007
Your rooted so get stickmount to mount your drives and use poweramp to play your music!

Thanks for that. I just quickly installed Stickmount and it's mounted my USB drive fine, but Google Music and Doubletwist don't see it. Is there a decent music app that can use USB mounts?

Grumpymann

Dec 10, 2010
Rocketplayer can befound on google playstore. jetaudio player, zimley. Also.found in googoe playstore.

itm

Jan 1, 2007
Rocketplayer can befound on google playstore. jetaudio player, zimley. Also.found in googoe playstore.

Can anyone comment on which of these, if any, are good at handling large music collections? (5,500 albums, >80,000 tracks). I use DoubleTwist for this reason.

Grumpymann

Dec 10, 2010
For my large music library I use jetaudio and avia. but that's on my Toshiba Thrive. I hook it up to a 250 gigabyte external hard drive. on the next 7 I do not yet have an OTG cable. So I can't say for sure. Hope this helps.

Groid

May 7, 2010
I was able to point PowerAmp to my music on an OTG Usb thumbdrive. It streamed just fine.

fishbong

Apr 7, 2012
I did not find a player that recognizes my USB Drive, but i could open the folder with my music with Astro, then chose to open a file with Folder Player and all files from the folder showed up in the player! So i can play them, but of course Folder Player is very limited (cannot change order of tracks, can only have one folder open at a time...)
EDIT: Winamp is able to find and play the files and playlists on the USB drive!

Last edited:

hamedk56

Apr 4, 2015
Hi guys,

I have surfed the web about this matter for a certain time. Finally, i found the following android apps which can detect USB OTG and play music without root well:
- Music Folder Player Free
- Player dreams
- n7player Music Player
- Neutron Music Player
- Folder Player
- MortPlayer Music

You can download them via Play Store. I tested them on my Car Head Unit which has Android 4.0.3 OS firmware. All of them were ok.
Just i don't know why "n7player Music Player" crashes and reports Force Close message when you have so many mp3 files (e.g. more than 2000 music files) on your USB.

Hamed