[APP] z4root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

d.e.t.

Nov 2, 2010
Cleveland
I have an AT&T Galaxy Tab which does not allow apps from outside the Market so I tried Super One Click which is implemented from a PC and it worked fine. It may help some of you that are having problems rooting . Google it for any questions.

ZUUL42

Sep 24, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I tried this on my EVO and it didn't work temporarily or permanently.
Now I am trying to track down a problem with the Bluetooth on the device. I'm not sure if it was running this or something else I did around the same time. So, I must ask, does this mod change the Bluetooth files/config at all? If so, please let me know as I need to figure out a way to change them back to get back the Bluetooth functionality.

izzaeroth

Nov 28, 2009
I had to manually reboot phone. checked to see if saw app icon and did not . tried to use steps to reboot with z4 again and it showed option to uninstall or launch. Does this mean phone is rooted. or how can i check or confirm that it is.

Usually what I do to confirm root is to download the terminal emulator and then type su. If you get the superuser popup then you have root.

jenmabe

Nov 16, 2010
Glen Burnie, MD

cryptworks

Nov 10, 2010
Tempe
i know it worked on a DroidX that just got an stock OTA update to 2.3.340 with USB debug mode on, it was on already so it was never tried without. my rom was already rooted the hard way. but definitely have this in my list of apps now.

mtnhiker60

Nov 20, 2010
Maryville
Verizon Droid X user running 2.2.1 system 2.3.340. It took me two tries to get it to work, got lucky I guess. Z4 ran ~10min. I figured it had hung so I backed out of it and started my app killer, killed a few apps and backed out of it and BAM, Z4 popped up and said rebooting. Rebooted and now rooted. :) Happy Camper I tried and tried working with Super One Click, but no luck.

acjetter

Nov 5, 2009
Did the exact same thing.

Upgraded to 2.3 yesterday, didn't realize it broke root.

downloaded/installed z4root, ran it, took forever. ran an app killer, stopped everything, ran z4, it ran for 2 seconds, rebooted, and now root works great.

nice!

dragonofmoon

Oct 7, 2010
i update to the last update 1h ago then i try z4root it install run but when i click permanent root it show "acquiring access root" something like that and vibrate 1 sec after app close and vibrate a second time i reboot the phone and i still not have the root access.

my device:

galaxy s vibrant I9000M
android 2.2

base : I9000UGJK4
kernel : 2.6.32.9
shout.lee@sep09 #1
version # : FROYO.UGJK4

DVS69

Dec 8, 2010
Bridgeport, CT
Does anyone know if this still works with the 2.3.340 update?? Worked great on 2.2 then the update pushed & unrooted my phone and now I'm stuck with a stock device (MISS MY ROOTED X ;'-( ). Since z4's been removed from the market place has there been confirmation that this works on 2.3.340??

Wotta

Dec 14, 2010
Data = 21MB?

Ryan;

Great work! Thank you!

One question - Why does Z4Root require 21MB of data space? This is consistent even after rebooting out of Root mode.

According to "Manage Applications" "Application Info", it is using 1.12MB for Application, 21.37MB for Data. The download was about 1MB.

Thank you.

MidwestFarmer

Dec 14, 2010
Verizon Droid X user running 2.2.1 system 2.3.340. It took me two tries to get it to work, got lucky I guess. Z4 ran ~10min. I figured it had hung so I backed out of it and started my app killer, killed a few apps and backed out of it and BAM, Z4 popped up and said rebooting. Rebooted and now rooted. :) Happy Camper

Same setup with Droid X on 2.2.1 OTA update last night. I had tried 5 or 6 times - then killed Apps and Z4root was able to finish. Worth a try if not successful initially.

caddiguy

Dec 13, 2010
Droid 1 Root

Ryan,

Any chance or way to update my root to 3.0 on my droid 1? I was unable to make root perminate and was wiped out again with the last update?

Or what other options do I have at this point?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Froyo is a bit of a pain to root! Well, this fixes that.

Credits

z4ziggy
    Sebastian Krahmer's rageagainstthecage

What this does

It is an app you install from the market or by side loading, that has a single button that will root your device.

How safe is this?

Should be 100% safe - nothing on disk is changed besides the root binaries, so if something goes wrong, simply rebooting the device should fix up any and all issues. Let me know if you find any bugs!

[size=+1]The new temporary root option works on 99% of available Android devices - no list yet of which specific devices are incompatible with the temporary root option - I am still trying to find out.[/size]

Here is the list so far of known compatible and incompatible devices for the permanent root option. I haven't actually tested these myself - I only have a Galaxy S device - but this list has been created by reports from users.

Compatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Samsung Galaxy S (All variants)
    Backflip
    Sony X10
    Xperia Mini
    Droid 2
    Galaxy Tab
    Galaxy I5700
    Galaxy 3 I5800
    Droid X
    Samsung Acclaim
    Cricket Huawei Ascend
    Motorola Cliq
    Huawei 8120
    Hero
    G1
    Optimus T
    Droid 1
    Garmin Asus A50
    Motorola Defy
    LG Ally
    Motorola Flipside
    Motorola Milestone 2
    Dell streak
    X10 Mini Pro
    Smartq v7 android 2.1

Incompatible with [size=+2]PERMANENT[/size] root option

Desire (requires nand unlock)
    Desire HD (requires nand unlock)
    Magic (unknown)
    Evo (requires nand unlock)
    G2 (requires nand unlock)
    Archos 70 (unknown)
    myTouch 3G (unknown)
    Wildfire
    Droid Incredible

z4rootscreenshot.png

Changelog

V1.0.0 : Initial Release
    V1.1.0 : Will now open the application settings page if USB debugging is not enabled.
    V1.2.0 : Unroot support, fix for devices with small max file size such as I5700, binaries in xbin rather than bin
    V1.2.1 : Back to /system/bin for support for some devices. Fix for QVGA devices.
    V1.2.2 : Adverts added (can be permanently disabled with menu option). Hopeful fix for devices such as Moment (Did not work).
    V1.3.0 : Force unroot option, temporary root option.

Market

This application is available directly from the market. Search for 'z4root'

Donations

If this app helps you out, you can donate here:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donateCC_LG.gif:NonHosted
    if it works i expect it will be blocked with the next android update as usual
    will test on my girlfriends i5800 as soon as it´s back from service, its there for pin request issue...
    Thanks !!!
    This is great news !!!