[KERNEL] 2.55 GHz overclock for SHIELD (need testers!)

Search This thread

ChrisFirerabbit

Dec 15, 2012
I hope not to bother anyone by bumping this thread but is it dead? Or is there a chance of us getting overclock with the 4.3 update? I really enjoyed the performance of this kernel and would love to have it working with the my shield now.

I think it maybe dead, unfortunately, there wasn't a new version in awhile. It would be cool if someone were able to continue this development.

suppertime

Jul 22, 2013
I second that...

My idle cpu usage is at 50 percent! I'd love to increase performance but OTA 64 unrooted my device.

Antara33

Apr 27, 2013
Any info about this? I see some other tegra 4 devices out there, so, when the TF701 for example, have custom kernels, and overclock, maybe, someone, start porting them to our shield, I guess.
BTW, how much do you think our device can be pushed with oc guys? 2.55 seems pretty fine from default 1.9.

Last edited:
I hope not to bother anyone by bumping this thread but is it dead? Or is there a chance of us getting overclock with the 4.3 update? I really enjoyed the performance of this kernel and would love to have it working with the my shield now.

Just got a Shield yesterday. Updated to 4.3, rooted, cleaned up the system, went over the sparse amount of stuff at xda, and now I am forking the source to see if we can't get a 4.3 kernel that is not only overclocked but has something other than noop and interactive / ondemand as far as configuration options go.

Reactions: themichael

themichael

Jul 15, 2011
New York
Just got a Shield yesterday. Updated to 4.3, rooted, cleaned up the system, went over the sparse amount of stuff at xda, and now I am forking the source to see if we can't get a 4.3 kernel that is not only overclocked but has something other than noop and interactive / ondemand as far as configuration options go.

Good stuff. I followed some of your work on the thunderbolt briefly before upgrading. Looking forward to your work here.

Antara33

Apr 27, 2013
I am turning on the pc to give it to you :p

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Can anyone pull a configuration from a 4.3 kernel? adb pull /proc/config.gz

It seems I can't connect with adb and I need to adjust my app to support devices that lack any form of menu button :/
remote object '/proc/config.gz' does not exist

I have this error, do I need to root the device first? :S

I am turning on the pc to give it to you :p

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

remote object '/proc/config.gz' does not exist

I have this error, do I need to root the device first? :S

That's what I was afraid of. I didn't see it when I tried to grab it from the device terminal, but I was hoping it was an issue with my half-baked idea for how to get around the adb problems I'm having.

Antara33

Apr 27, 2013
That's what I was afraid of. I didn't see it when I tried to grab it from the device terminal, but I was hoping it was an issue with my half-baked idea for how to get around the adb problems I'm having.

A device's prolem? Or diferent building methods? On 4.2.2 the config.gz are missing too or is a 4.3 problem?

Antara33

Apr 27, 2013
It's all ready just waiting on a config or the time to figure out how to make one manually.

Have you asked for the config to coolbho3000? He have managed to build the first one, maybe on older versions of the SHIELD's firmware the config does not be removed, or he have maked one by himself.
BTW, what do you modified on the kernel? It's possible to add CPU and GPU oc to our device? And zRam?

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Found this, maybe it can help.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43930020&postcount=46&nocache=1&z=7692704133223742

Have you asked for the config to coolbho3000? He have managed to build the first one, maybe on older versions of the SHIELD's firmware the config does not be removed, or he have maked one by himself.
BTW, what do you modified on the kernel? It's possible to add CPU and GPU oc to our device? And zRam?

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Found this, maybe it can help.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43930020&postcount=46&nocache=1&z=7692704133223742

Well he is the op, so I imagine if he plans to post it he will.

The script does what the pull does so if pull doesn't work the script won't. I had tried it anyway hoping that was a false guess.

I added the overclock but I also have governors and some other stuff that needs a config to enable. I didn't do the gpu since it already runs well.

Antara33

Apr 27, 2013
Why don't gpu oc? I see some framerate drops on some games, more prominent on console mode, maybe on it, the oc can give us a boost. The cooler can be accessed with the kernel to tune the speed?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2.55 GHz overclock for SHIELD

Please help test this - while there is definitely a measurable improvement in performance, it is kind of inconsistent with the sort of increases I'd expect this clock speed to bring. I have been testing this for a few days, and I'm not quite sure whether this is due to the hardware reporting the wrong clock speeds on the relevant PLLs, an overgressive power management/dvfs quirk, or a bottleneck somewhere. I did have to track down a kernel bug preventing higher clocks that turned out to be an issue with NVIDIA using a signed long where they should have used an unsigned long.

Flashing:

0. Make sure you are on the current OTA.
    1. Unlock your bootloader.
    2. Test the kernel: fastboot boot boot-roth-oc.img
    3. See if it crashes while booting. If it does, don't proceed to the next step, and post a reply below. Before you flash, verify that you're running my kernel by checking for "mike@ekureru" either in the Kernel Version field in About SHIELD, doing a cat /proc/version (in case you didn't see it crashing), or verifying the maximum CPU speed is 2550 MHz.
    4. If all goes well, flash the kernel: fastboot flash boot boot-roth-oc.img

Note: This boot.img is insecure (ro.secure=0) for easier debugging. Userspace apps shouldn't work yet, so this boots at 2550 MHz.

As always, boot/flash this at your own risk, though this kernel doesn't raise voltages much.

Download: http://setcpu.com/boot-roth-oc.img
    Relevant patches: https://github.com/coolbho3k/kernel-roth
    Picture:
    6cyPhs5.jpg

Mike
    Mine just came in the mail. Ill try this out tonight and let you know of it goes
    Mine just came in the mail. Ill try this out tonight and let you know of it goes

DUDE, this is CRAZY! I was getting almost 20 Thousand in Quadrant and 40 Thousand in AnTuTu. I want to see what this can do!

https://twitter.com/wwjoshdew/status/363142322529116160/photo/1

I haven't unlocked mine, but I will soon. Then I'd be more than happy to try out a custom kernel.
    Might I ask, will you release another boot.IMG that fixes the SD card? Also on the got hub I found something about a Y-OTG cable does that work?

Just fixed the card, but it's the same image.