FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 11 [Android 4.4.4]

510 posts
Thanks Meter: 873
 
Post Reply Email Thread
13th May 2014, 02:49 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 873
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo123

Are there any downsides to this? Isn't the cache partition just as fast etc?

Do you think your ROM is already usable as a daily driver? As I said I don't own the phone anymore and can only rely on the community before I install it for my mom.

Do you think ART will ever work? I think this phone would benefit from it greatly. Thanks



Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

As far as I know it's the same speed... runs off the same chip (otherwise we couldn't resize the partitions)

I think it's usable daily yes, but maybe not for your mom (I would go with CM7... CM10 if newer things are a higher priority than stability/bugfreeness)
The built-in camera app is extremely slow at taking pictures (other apps might not be). Can't think of anything else that wasn't on CM9-10.2 that would be a problem though... I think the keyboard is a little smaller?

It's possible for ART to work, but it would have to be ported to ARMv6... With dalvik we can just revert the "remove support for ARMv6" commit(s) - but with ART, it wasn't there to begin with..
It may benefit from the speed, but definitely not the added space (& possibly memory use).
ART is faster because it compiles the whole application upon install (or first boot), and caches it on the device (to /data for us). Dalvik only caches what it needs, then compiles on the fly when needed. (so opening an app, dalvik has to compile it first, THEN run it... ART just runs it)

I don't think ART will be ported to ARMv6 - it would require someone who knows assembly, and it's not really worth it for ARMv6.
If Google completely removes dalvik and replaces it with ART, we'll just revert that commit too and keep using dalvik (that would be bad for app compatibility though)
The Following User Says Thank You to WinSuk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WinSuk Ad-Free
14th May 2014, 12:19 AM |#22  
Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSuk

The storage space is the most difficult part on this device right now...
We may have to start using custom partition sizes soon...

What is required to do that? S-OFF device? Custom bootloader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihug12

Wildfire S (marvel) :

I made this more than two years ago. What do you suggest?

+1MB on the recovery
+15MB on /system
15MB on /cache
1MB on /data
Is that a good idea?

GApps are flashed on /system, right?
Are misc and devlog mandatory?
The Following User Says Thank You to pihug12 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pihug12 Ad-Free
14th May 2014, 01:37 AM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 873
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pihug12

What is required to do that? S-OFF device? Custom bootloader?


I made this more than two years ago. What do you suggest?

+1MB on the recovery
+15MB on /system
15MB on /cache
1MB on /data
Is that a good idea?

GApps are flashed on /system, right?
Are misc and devlog mandatory?

This is what we have for custom partitions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1739477
Requires S-OFF, and you flash a custom bootloader.

That looks pretty good... 1MB extra on recovery would probably be perfect (for now anyway, until they make it bigger again).
Misc has something to do with the bootloader... Not exactly sure what, but I wouldn't touch it.
Devlog not sure either... Probably where it keeps kmsg and last_kmsg? Those seem to get really long without ever losing the first lines, and last_kmsg persists through reboots. Wouldn't touch that one either

Normal gapps are flashed to /system yea
The Following User Says Thank You to WinSuk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WinSuk Ad-Free
14th May 2014, 07:22 AM |#24  
Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSuk

This is what we have for custom partitions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1739477
Requires S-OFF, and you flash a custom bootloader.

We never got software S-OFF on Wildfire S (just by using the XTC-Clip).
Maybe this thread was made before HTC offers the possibility to unlock bootloader? Not sure if it's enough though...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1277388
Is S-OFF really required with this method? I think we can flash recovery.img and boot.img with an unlocked bootloader.
I don't know if the other partitions can be moved or re-created by flashing or restoring a ROM though.
14th May 2014, 07:59 AM |#25  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 873
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pihug12

We never got software S-OFF on Wildfire S (just by using the XTC-Clip).
Maybe this thread was made before HTC offers the possibility to unlock bootloader? Not sure if it's enough though...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1277388
Is S-OFF really required with this method? I think we can flash recovery.img and boot.img with an unlocked bootloader.
I don't know if the other partitions can be moved or re-created by flashing or restoring a ROM though.

Hmmm, that's very interesting... seems like it's just telling the kernel to start & stop the partitions in different spots (which would look corrupt to anything that hasn't been modified with the new locations).
If it's just the recovery and boot images, then S-OFF is not required at all.

The thread I linked I think changes the misc partition, so the ROM & recovery don't need to be changed (because they read from misc).
HTCdev unlock doesn't open up the misc partition, so that's why it requires S-OFF..

However after posting that, I checked the download link and it's dead

Don't think we need to use custom partitions just yet though... gapps can be symlinked to cache, and we'll still have a little space left on /system for extra apps like wallpapers.

Edit: after looking around in some old threads, it seems like the misc partition is opened up with HTCdev... this post gives brief instructions on how to downgrade from the HTCdev bootloader, and modifies the misc partition (through recovery)... I also went through that with my phone a while back, so I know it works...
Edit2: nevermind, the custom partitions we have changes changes hboot, not misc (which does require S-OFF or an exploit)
14th May 2014, 10:03 AM |#26  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 1,274
 
More
Hey @WinSuk, great to see you're still supporting this good old phone! Would love to try your ROMs, but sadly I don't have this phone anymore (you know the story). For the custom partitions... I know munjeni created a custom hboot generator some time back. I just found it again, it is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1739477
There is a block calculator as well, so creating a custom hboot partition layout shouldn't be that hard. I did it way back to install CM10 I think (I'm not sure anymore, it's some time gone since then). So I hope you'll get everything working here! Keep it up!
14th May 2014, 10:05 AM |#27  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 873
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansou901

Hey @WinSuk, great to see you're still supporting this good old phone! Would love to try your ROMs, but sadly I don't have this phone anymore (you know the story). For the custom partitions... I know munjeni created a custom hboot generator some time back. I just found it again, it is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1739477
There is a block calculator as well, so creating a custom hboot partition layout shouldn't be that hard. I did it way back to install CM10 I think (I'm not sure anymore, it's some time gone since then). So I hope you'll get everything working here! Keep it up!

Yep, linked it 3 posts ago
The download is dead though.. :-\
14th May 2014, 10:14 AM |#28  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 1,274
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSuk

Yep, linked it 3 posts ago
The download is dead though.. :-\

Maybe I can ask munjeni to upload it again. Let me try. Or if that not works, I'll maybe have a copy of it back at my computer.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Ok... The hboot calculator is down as well. Maybe I have that one still somewhere...
14th May 2014, 05:11 PM |#29  
munjeni's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21,676
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansou901

Maybe I can ask munjeni to upload it again. Let me try. Or if that not works, I'll maybe have a copy of it back at my computer.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

Ok... The hboot calculator is down as well. Maybe I have that one still somewhere...

I have uploded hboot_cus, here is link http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...2&d=1400080261
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to munjeni For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift munjeni Ad-Free
15th May 2014, 01:43 AM |#30  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 873
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by munjeni

I have uploded hboot_cus, here is link http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...2&d=1400080261

Thanks we might need it in the future...
There aren't as many people on this device as there was before though
15th May 2014, 12:32 PM |#31  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 1,274
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSuk

Thanks we might need it in the future...
There aren't as many people on this device as there was before though

That's true, but you are still supporting it, which is awesome! Keep it up!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes