FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] *TrackMe* GPS/WiFi/Cell Tracking tool for Google Earth/GM Now avail for Android

2,604 posts
Thanks Meter: 141

Post Reply Email Thread
16th June 2019, 01:02 AM |#641  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Hi tcurran,

Thanks for using TrackMe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcurran

New user. A couple of issues come up immediately:
1) On my Galaxy 9, running Android 9 Pie, the hamburger menu appears as black text on a charcoal background...i.e. completely unreadable unless I max out screen brightness.
(I attempted to add a screenshot here, but in 12 years I haven't posted enough on XDA to qualify for outside-link privileges. sigh)

Yeah, a few similar issues have been reported on Pie, but since I don't own one I can't really fix them until I upgrade my phone. As soon as I can get one (or at least a temporary one), I'll fix it.

Quote:

2) The times in an exported GPX file purport to be in UTC (aka zulu, aka GMT) time (e.g. 2019-06-15T14:38:02Z). Actually they're in whatever the phone's local time is, even though they have the "Z" on the end that indicates they're supposed to be "Zulu." This messes up their usefulness for most "exporting" scenarios (for example, mapping programs, photo programs, etc.). I suggest that you fix this so Zulu is Zulu... or at least make it a user-selectable menu option. (<soapbox> We have standards for a reason</soapbox>)

Good catch. I'll add it to my to-do list for the next release.

Regards
16th June 2019, 02:19 AM |#642  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _LEM_

Yeah, a few similar issues have been reported on Pie, but since I don't own one I can't really fix them until I upgrade my phone. As soon as I can get one (or at least a temporary one), I'll fix it.
Regards

I have a number of apps that had their basic color scheme messed up by Pie. If you were thinking of adding "themes," now would be a jolly good time to do it.
16th June 2019, 02:37 AM |#643  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I have a number of apps that had their basic color scheme messed up by Pie. If you were thinking of adding "themes," now would be a jolly good time to do it.

I wish I could rewrite the whole interface!
9th August 2019, 12:58 AM |#644  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
New update
* Fixed: Possible crash when stopping Motion Detection (Android Pie)
* Fixed: Menu item colors are wrong (Android Pie)

Nothing big this time... just a couple of fixes for the Android Pie version. I hope you guys are enjoying the summer!
The Following User Says Thank You to _LEM_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _LEM_ Ad-Free
9th August 2019, 12:58 AM |#645  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
[duplicate]
12th January 2020, 12:47 PM |#646  

More
wrong positions within a track
Hi togehter,
I just discovered TrackMe a few days ago, so I am not an expierenced user.
Background: I want to track a comming several weeks holiday trip with my family with TrackMe and publish a live map on a website (Wordpress with Trackserver-Plugin) to give our Families&Friends the chance to see where we are
What I recognized yesterday is that the accurancy of the GPS is not always very good. Of course this is not a problem wihtin TrackMe, since it gets its information about the position from the GPS-module of my phone, but my question is as follows.
Example: I was at home an I was doing some tests with TrackMe setting like time base recording and minimum accuracy and minimum distance. This means I was at home all time, but we I look in the recorded positions then I see e.g. one position almost 300km away from my house. So this means that is is clearly a faulty position.

As I do not know/find any other setting filter/suppress such wrong positions in the track, I thought about an option similar but vice-versa to "minimum distance". Let´s call it maximum distance. If I know that I configured position recording to let´s say every 5 minutes, then I know that I cannot go more than 10km (assumed a velocity of 120km/h). In this case a filter mechanism could suppress every position that is more than 10km away from my last position.

Additional considerations:
- it could be possible to double the maximum distance, because if one positioning was erronous then the intervall between the first and the third (second erronous) position recording might be 10 minutes insteadof 5min (I do not know if it would be possible to directly retry to record a position if one was denied by this filtering, insteadof waiting for the next interval of e.g. 5 minutes)
- maybe it would be possible in a next improvement to make this filtering distance dependent on the (average) speed of the last few recoreded positions

These are just some ideas because these erronous positions within an track would be quite annoying and distance calculations and other statistics would be wrong. At least live tracking on a website would have very strange effects.

Kind Regards,
Iq512
12th January 2020, 01:16 PM |#647  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQ512

Hi togehter,
I just discovered TrackMe a few days ago, so I am not an expierenced user.
Background: I want to track a comming several weeks holiday trip with my family with TrackMe and publish a live map on a website (Wordpress with Trackserver-Plugin) to give our Families&Friends the chance to see where we are
What I recognized yesterday is that the accurancy of the GPS is not always very good. Of course this is not a problem wihtin TrackMe, since it gets its information about the position from the GPS-module of my phone, but my question is as follows.
Example: I was at home an I was doing some tests with TrackMe setting like time base recording and minimum accuracy and minimum distance. This means I was at home all time, but we I look in the recorded positions then I see e.g. one position almost 300km away from my house. So this means that is is clearly a faulty position.

As I do not know/find any other setting filter/suppress such wrong positions in the track, I thought about an option similar but vice-versa to "minimum distance". Let´s call it maximum distance. If I know that I configured position recording to let´s say every 5 minutes, then I know that I cannot go more than 10km (assumed a velocity of 120km/h). In this case a filter mechanism could suppress every position that is more than 10km away from my last position.

Additional considerations:
- it could be possible to double the maximum distance, because if one positioning was erronous then the intervall between the first and the third (second erronous) position recording might be 10 minutes insteadof 5min (I do not know if it would be possible to directly retry to record a position if one was denied by this filtering, insteadof waiting for the next interval of e.g. 5 minutes)
- maybe it would be possible in a next improvement to make this filtering distance dependent on the (average) speed of the last few recoreded positions

These are just some ideas because these erronous positions within an track would be quite annoying and distance calculations and other statistics would be wrong. At least live tracking on a website would have very strange effects.

Kind Regards,
Iq512

Hi IQ512,

Thanks for using TrackMe! You shouldn't be getting positions 300km far away. That's very strange and I've never seen something like that. If TrackMe is receiving a position that it's 300 km away and the accuracy is under the limits, it has to be something wrong with your phone. The app receives positions that include location and accuracy and it will discard the ones whose accuracy is off. If the position says the accuracy is good, it will not discard it even if it is 300km away. Only time I got a position way off was when I was under a pole line. I can tell you which are the settings I always use. I use TrackMe for hiking and vacation trips.

I have GPS, WiFi and Cell Network and Quick Fix checked.
Minimum accuracy: 15 m (49 ft)
Minimum distance: 15 m (49 ft)
Minimum time: 30 seconds

Also verify on your Android settings that you have set location to High Accuracy, just in case it's only using WiFi

Regards,
Luis
12th January 2020, 08:40 PM |#648  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _LEM_

Hi IQ512,

Thanks for using TrackMe! You shouldn't be getting positions 300km far away. That's very strange and I've never seen something like that. If TrackMe is receiving a position that it's 300 km away and the accuracy is under the limits, it has to be something wrong with your phone. The app receives positions that include location and accuracy and it will discard the ones whose accuracy is off. If the position says the accuracy is good, it will not discard it even if it is 300km away. Only time I got a position way off was when I was under a pole line. I can tell you which are the settings I always use. I use TrackMe for hiking and vacation trips.

I have GPS, WiFi and Cell Network and Quick Fix checked.
Minimum accuracy: 15 m (49 ft)
Minimum distance: 15 m (49 ft)
Minimum time: 30 seconds

Also verify on your Android settings that you have set location to High Accuracy, just in case it's only using WiFi

Regards,
Luis

Hi Luis,
thanks for the very fast reply and for the greate App you developed.
I checked all seetings you mentioned respectively adapted your settings and tried around this afternoon a little.
Unfortunately there are again several faulty positions in the track (but noch several hundert kilometers wrong, but between several hundred meters and a few kilometers wrong).
If you are interested you can look how the track looks like, even if you do not know where I was in reality, I think it´s easy to see that several positions are totally wrong (I´ll sent you a link to my wordpress sample page via mail or PN).

[My phone is a Sony Xperia Xcompact with Android 8.0]
Regards,
IQ512
13th January 2020, 09:34 AM |#649  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQ512

Hi Luis,
thanks for the very fast reply and for the greate App you developed.
I checked all seetings you mentioned respectively adapted your settings and tried around this afternoon a little.
Unfortunately there are again several faulty positions in the track (but noch several hundert kilometers wrong, but between several hundred meters and a few kilometers wrong).
If you are interested you can look how the track looks like, even if you do not know where I was in reality, I think it´s easy to see that several positions are totally wrong (I´ll sent you a link to my wordpress sample page via mail or PN).

[My phone is a Sony Xperia Xcompact with Android 8.0]
Regards,
IQ512

Hi IQ512,
I saw your route. I can see the positions that are off. TrackMe has a debugging option to store the positions in a file for additional processing. I'm going to add a new extra field to that file with accuracy information,
so you can do some testing and then check that file, to determine if your phone is considering that position's accuracy is correct. Stay tuned!
13th January 2020, 10:52 AM |#650  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Ok, I just submitted an update that you should be getting soon. In this update, if you check to Settings->Debugging settings->Log Positions,
a file called Positions.txt will be created in the TrackMe/Log folder. Record some positions for a while and then check your map like you have been doing.
If you see a position that is way off, check the time of that position and find that one in the positions.txt file. The last column should tell you the accuracy in meters.
If that number is smaller of the minimum accuracy that you are allowing in your TrackMe settings, there's nothing wrong with the app, because that's the information is being sent from the phone.
If the number is bigger than what you have in your minimum accuracy settings, then TrackMe is not discarding that position correctly, so you can send me that file to take a look.
16th January 2020, 08:51 AM |#651  

More
Hi Luis,
just to give you a feedback, after your update. I am at home most time, so I have not tracked longer routes at the moment, but two short tracks through our village look very good since the update (same URL). It´s a little bit strange, if you only added the debug-option, but however, if positioning works now everything is fine and I can use it for our trip
I will do further test the next days, maybe with changes to mobile data switch on/off on the phone (since I do not have unlimeted data transfer), but as long as GPS is available (outside of buildings etc.) I do not assume any effects to positioning accuracy.
If I recognize similar positioning errors as I stated in my first post, I will give you feedback just to have a chance to find the root cause.

Thnaks a lot so far and as already said above, greate app you developed!

Regards,
Iq512
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)