[GUIDE] Install ClockworkMod, a ROM, Flash Player, and the Market Fix

Search This thread

webby_s

Aug 3, 2010
MN
edit - Got it working... Although it may be getting returned later on. =\

Why? Why do you think you will be returning it... I am seriously looking into the gtab and want your review

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread!!!

Awesome step by step process, can wait till Christmas when I can get my and do this!!

ima_UNC_fan

Dec 5, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Day 2

Day 2 with my gTab. Still love it! Showed it to my wife last night and she played AB for an hour...really dear??

A couple of notes...

Bad - Still missing parts of the Market (TV.com for example). Tried to do the build.prop edit...no luck. Even with RootExplorer I can't edit the file. However....(see below)...

Good - I was able to sideload TV.com with no issues. Works great!

I tried a couple of vids (read---> full length DVDs) and they look incredible!

I've been playing with it for about 5 hours today...still have a full battery.

All in all...I'm very satisfied. The mod process is still in its infancy so I'm really excited to see what happens in the coming months!

necromonger89

Dec 8, 2010
Success and major props! Just exchanged my G Tablet got a new one and performed this guide. It went down flawlessly! Hell yes now to spend time with the tablet!

maneeacc

Dec 9, 2010
need help...

hey there,

quick question,

I was using this as my guide and updating my g tab, got into a boot loop and then tried one of the fixes and apparently formatted my internal memory.

is there anyway i can load the tnt lite from the external sd card???

thanks

zalmann

Dec 11, 2010
My problem is that when I try to install Clockwork Mod 0.8, downloaded from this thread, I get the giant exclamation mark when it tries to install. I edited the command file correctly.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Finally found a different SD Card and it worked. Don't know why. The card that didn't work was a stock 1GB Sandisk, card that worked was a stock 512MB Sandisk. Weird.

hey there,

quick question,

I was using this as my guide and updating my g tab, got into a boot loop and then tried one of the fixes and apparently formatted my internal memory.

is there anyway i can load the tnt lite from the external sd card???

thanks
As I understand it, you should be able to flash any of the TNT Lites by putting it on the SD card and editing the command file inside recovery to say SDCARD2 instead of SDCARD.

That didn't get me out of the boot loop however, using the - Droid Pirate ViewSonic G-Tablet Restore file (google that phrase) with the microsd card (including editing the command file inside recovery to say SDCARD2 instead of SDCARD) did do it.

Last edited:

redwine4me

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks so much.

Was able to move the z4 to the G tab by following the directions. I was unable to get ClockworkMod to the SD card until I installed the SD card in the computer and then reinstalled the sd card back into the G tab. This work great. Thanks.

dnjpowell

Dec 9, 2010
SE Ohio
can you install clockwork mod without using an external sd card?

I too am having issues loading Clockwork and keep getting the exclamation mark when I try to boot into it. I went so far as to wipe my sdcard2 and started over. It did keep trying to extract to my internal sdcard, but by using the ES File Explorer it let me make the change to extract to external instead.

I've tried booting into clockwork with no success. I am getting the correct messages it seems but I'm not seeing the screen. Never really saw a install screen when I booted back up though either. Any suggestions? I can't find anything to help me with this.

green2droid

Nov 24, 2010
u guys are awesome

by following the instructions to the letter ----------market works, flash works and now i'm not stressed out about whether or not return the apparent useless brick that i received now turned into a useful device...........:)

zalmann

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks so much.

Was able to move the z4 to the G tab by following the directions. I was unable to get ClockworkMod to the SD card until I installed the SD card in the computer and then reinstalled the sd card back into the G tab. This work great. Thanks.
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying but I am using a MicroSD Card Reader, I don't need to use the tablet to put Clockwork Mod or anything else onto the card.

EDIT: Finally found a different SD Card and it worked. Don't know why. The card that didn't work was a stock 1GB Sandisk, card that worked was a stock 512MB Sandisk. Weird.

Last edited:

BigChimpin

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks and some problems

First of all thanks to scsione889 for these great instructions. With that being said I have some issues. I tried searching for posts similar to what I'm going through but I couldn't find any.

******SOLVED********
( Went through the process again from Step 2 part 5) (Then performed full market fix http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=861044

Multitasking started working for some reason. I don't know but I'm glad. Thanks!

Issue #1
Market doesn't have anything I want. I checked the instructions for getting full market access but I can't get root explorer through the market to fix the market. I need market working to get market working!

Issue #2
I can't seem to multitask. When I close the music player the music stops.

I'm using a Viewsonic g tablet.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions that might help!

Last edited:

tyy10002

Dec 11, 2010
I have tried to follow all the steps, I am stuck in the market fix. I have tried to stop the google framework, market, TI backup and market at least 10 times. still not getting the error? Anyone has any idea?

Thanks

tyy10002

Dec 11, 2010
I finally got the error in the market fix after I signed in the market first. and then peformed all the force stop steps.

Thanks guy. Overall, the steps are very well documented.

dnjpowell

Dec 9, 2010
SE Ohio
So you guys had no issues getting clockworkmod to install and boot up for you?? Seems easy enough but I can't get it to work. I got through to part 2 step 5 or so and realize I don't think cwm really set up on me so I back tracked. No luck, tried several times now.

BigChimpin

Dec 11, 2010
I had no problem but I rooted it first. Maybe that's what you need to do? Also try and download again. Maybe the file was corrupted when downloaded?

dnjpowell

Dec 9, 2010
SE Ohio
I did try to redownload but think i may try to root first. I am sure it's something i'm overlooking but I don't see what it is. Seemed simple enough to follow right?! LOL Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a step by step guide to install ClockworkMod v08, a ROM of your choosing, Flash, and the Android Market fix. This guide assumes that there is no data on your device that is important to you. Back it up or prepare to lose it.

I do NOT accept responsibility for anything good, bad, or indifferent that may come from following this guide. This includes and is not limited to completely destroying your tablet. I highly recommend leaving your tablet plugged in while doing anything like this with your device. I have no idea what will happen if the battery dies in the middle of flashing a ROM (if anything…but better safe than sorry).

ALL THE FILES NEEDED FOR THIS GUIDE EXCEPT FOR THE ROM ITSELF CAN BE FOUND AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS GUIDE.

ROM XDA Pages (Look at these to pick what ROM you want to use.)

TnT Lite

VEGAn-Tab

CyanogenMod 7 (Gingerbread)

Notion Ink Adam ROM Port

You do NOT need to root your tablet to install a ROM on this device using this guide. All the after-market ROMs come pre-rooted so you don't need to root after installing either. :)

Part One – Install ClockworkMod v08

ClockworkMod is what will ultimately be used for all your flashing of ROMs, backing up, clearing cache, etc.

Step 1.
    Download ClockworkMod v08 (This version has been found to work best...the newer version causes some issues with some ROMs.) There are two versions available; one for installing ClockworkMod from the internal memory, one for installing it from external memory (microSD/microSDHC card).

Step 2.
    Unzip the file you chose (cwmod_internal.zip OR cwmod_microsd.zip) to the root folder on the storage option of your choice.

So, for example, if the storage option you chose has the drive letter “F:” assigned to it when hooked up to your computer, you would want it to look something like this…
    A folder located at “F:\recovery”
    A file located at “F:\update.zip”

Step 3.
    Turn off your device.

Step 4.
    Press the power button and the Volume+ button at the same time and release them when the Viewsonic splash screen pops up. You should see "Detect a recovery key pressed" pop up in the upper left corner of the screen.

Step 5.
    Watch ClockworkMod install. This will not take long. Your tablet will reboot when installation is complete.

Step 6.
    Enter ClockworkMod:
    To get into ClockworkMod you need to shut down your device, then press the Power and Volume+ button (the same way you did to install ClockworkMod).

Navigating ClockworkMod: Vol+ and Vol- are to scroll up and down, the home button selects an option, and the back button backs up.

Step 7.
    Re-Partition your Tablet:

In order to make sure the Android Market works correctly after installing any ROM, we must re-partition the device.

Select the advanced option at the bottom of the ClockworkMod menu, then go to “partition SD card”, for the first option select 2048, and for the second option select 0. This erases data on your tablet. Be prepared.

Part Two – Install a ROM.

A ROM (explained in very basic terms) is like Windows on your computer (assuming you’re not running Linux or Mac OS). Each ROM contains a customized version of Android that comes packaged with software, themes, and everything else you actually see when the device powers up. You install any additional apps you would like to use after installing the ROM. Beware, ROMs are device specific. You cannot reliably install ROMs designed for another device.

Step 1.
    Now that your device is essentially empty, we need to be able to put files on it. ClockworkMod can do this for us. Connect your tablet’s USB cable from your tablet to your computer. Go to the ClockworkMod main menu, then navigate down to “mounts and storage”, and then select “mount USB storage”. The tablet’s internal storage will then be accessible from your computer. You will want to open it, and create a folder called “ROMs”.

Step 2.
    Download whatever ROM you want to use. The links to the ROMs are located above. Click on the link to see what that ROM looks like. The most popular ROMs for this device are TnT Lite and VEGAn Tab.

Step 3.
    Copy whatever ROM you wish to install (it should be a .zip file) to the ROMs folder on your tablet. (Leave it zipped, Clockwork will install it from the .zip file as is).

Note: If the ROM you downloaded has multiple files, look for the one named “update.zip” and rename it to whatever you want (something to help you differentiate it from other ROMs), then copy that to the tablet. If an “update.zip” doesn’t exist, and you’re lost…read through that ROM’s thread and see if anybody else asked about it…if not then you probably should (on that ROM’s thread…each one is different).

Step 4.
    Turn off your device.

Step 5.
    Boot into ClockworkMod. (Press the power button and the volume+ button at the same time until the Viewsonic splash screen pops up, release, then you should see “Detect a recovery key pressed”. After that it will think for a few seconds and then it should boot into ClockworkMod)

Step 6.
    Stand up and do a dance. Sitting too long isn't good for you.

Step 7.
    Back up to the main menu, then navigate down to “mounts and storage”. When that is highlighted press the home button to select it.

Step 8.
    We want to mount “/system” and “/data”.
    The goal is to see the following:
    “unmount/system”
    and,
    “unmount/data”
    If either one says “mount” instead of “unmount” you need to navigate to that line and press the home button to mount it.

Step 9.
    This is the step that we actually flash the ROM in.

From the ClockworkMod main menu, navigate down to “install zip from sdcard” and press the home button to select that option at the menu.

Then, navigate to “choose zip from sdcard” and press the home button to select that option.

Navigate to the line that reads “ROMs” and press the home button to select that option.

Navigate to the line that reads whatever .zip file you wish to install and press the home button to select that option.

Navigate to the line that reads “Yes – Install yourzipfile.zip” and press the home button to select that option.

You will now see it do its thing. When complete you will see something along the lines of “install zip from sdcard complete” at the bottom of the screen.

Press the back arrow over and over again until you get to the Clockwork’s main menu.

Step 10.
    Here is where we prepare the system to run the new ROM.

Navigate down to “mounts and storage”, select it, and mount “/system” and “/data” again as in steps 7 and 8.

Back up to Clockwork’s main menu.

Navigate to “wipe data/factory reset”, select it. Navigate down to “Yes – delete all user data”, and select it to wipe out user data and all the cache. (You need to do this for the new ROM to function correctly)

Now, navigate to the top option “reboot system now” and select it. Your tablet will now reboot. It may take up to 15 minutes to start up the first time as it rebuilds the user data and cache for this ROM.

If your tablet boots to UID errors, or has force closes (known to fix a few of them)…
    Press and hold the power button to shut the device down. Boot back into Clockwork. Select the advanced option at the bottom, and then go to “Fix Permissions”. Afterwards, back out to the main menu, then select “reboot system now”. If that is unsuccessful then boot back into Clockwork and redo steps 7-10.

Part Three – Install Flash and fix Android Market

This is needed to view websites with Flash based content, and to download apps from the market. (Fairly obvious, I know, but just in case somebody doesn't know.) Log in/set up your Google Account before trying the market fix (steps vary on the ROM you are using…in most cases you can access the web accounts by opening the Contacts app, pressing the menu button (the one above the back button), and selecting accounts).

Step 1.
    Download “Adobe Flash Player 10.1.120.1.apk” which you will find attached at the bottom of this post and save it on your tablet (I recommend creating a separate folder to save .apk files in).

Step 2.
    On your tablet open up whatever file explorer comes pre-installed with the ROM you’ve selected. In there, open up where you saved your .apk, then select Adobe Flash Player, and follow the on screen instructions to finish installing that.

Step 3.
    Open the Market app. Once it loads close it (press the home button).

Step 4.
    Go into Settings - Applications - Manage Applications - Market - Clear CACHE - Force Stop
    (For TnT/TnT Lite... Settings - Applications - System Applications)

Step 5.
    Press back once - Google Services Framework - Clear DATA - Force Stop

Step 6.
    Go back to your home screen and open up the market. You should get an error. If not, redo steps 4 and 5 until you do.

Step 7.
    Reboot your device. After it starts back up let it sit for a minute or two to let things in the operating system normalize. Open the Market. Reboot your device.

Step 8.
    Open the market again and enjoy. You should now have Flash and the Android Market.

This is the Titanium Backup method. Thanks to roebeet, xguntherc, and KorbenD.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=845175

Part Four – Show your appreciation! (First, be sure to play some Angry Birds) :p

I encourage everybody to take the time to send a kind message, or a small donation, to everybody that helped make this device what it is. This is not me saying "HEY HEY DONATE TO ME!!!!"...like some developers for other devices do. I just feel like the great ROM developers for this device don't get the credit they deserve, so please at least send them a quick thank you note. Keep in mind that ROMs, utilities, and yes (even guides), take a considerable amount of time to plan, compile, test, fix, and distribute.

With the following link you can donate as much or as little as you would like to me (even a dollar helps). Thanks and enjoy your tablet!

Donate Here
    This is a step by step guide to install ClockworkMod v08, TnT Lite 2.2, Flash, and get the Android Market working. This guide assumes that there is no data on your device that is important to you. Back it up or prepare to lose it.

Part Three – Install Flash and fix Android Market

Step 1.
    Create a folder on your SD card called APKs. Download “Adobe Flash Player 10.1.120.1.apk” and "TitaniumBackup_latest.apk" which you will find attached at the bottom of this post and save them in that “APKs” folder on your SD card.

Step 2.
    On your tablet open up “ES File Explorer”. In there, open up the “APKs” folder, then select Adobe Flash Player, and follow the on screen instructions to finish installing that. After that, select Titanium Backup in that same folder, and install the same way.

Step 3.
    Go into Settings – Applications – Manage Applications - and Force Stop both the Market and Google Services Framework apps.

Step 4.
    Open up Titanium Backup, go to Backup/Restore and look for Google Services Framework, select it, then select “Wipe Data”

Step 5.
    Go back to your home screen and open up the market. You should get an error. If not, redo steps 3 and 4 until you do.

Step 6.
    Reboot your device. After it starts back up let it sit for a minute or two to let things in the operating system normalize. Open the Market. Reboot your device.

Step 7.
    Open the market again and enjoy. You now have Flash and the Android Market. (Keep in mind, this is not the FULL market, it just makes around 99% of it available. It is unknown which apps are not available. There is a full market fix, but it is MUCH more complicated).

Extremely Well Done!

Would be Nice to get this Stickied to keep easy for newbies to find...

Comment on Section 3... I simplified this by removing Steps 4 and 5 and modifying Step 3 to;

Step 3.
    Go into Settings – Applications – Manage Applications - and Force Stop both the Market and Google Services Framework apps, [ADD] also 'Clear Data' on 'Google Services Framework' (after stopping it in same screen).

So removes the Need for TB in this proceedure, though TB is always something worth having...

Also I only needed the first reboot in Step 6, wait a few minutes then tried Market and all was fine! No multiple reboots needed for me at least...
    Thank You. This is exactly what we need. One thread with all the info consolidated into one will help many new users understand what to do. People otherwise may have come here and just been blown away by the different threads, I sure was when I first decided to Root my Eris.
    I have tried several different ROMs and several different ways to get the Market fixed and all have failed for me. I have not been able to get an "error" wheen starting up the Market. It always goes directly to setup a Google Account and when I try to sign into my account it takes a few minutes and then fails with a connection error everytime. Can anyone suggest something for me? Thanks

It looks like this is a problem on Google's end. I had my TAB working fine yesterday, flashed a new rom and now it does not work either. So it is not just you.
    Tempory fix though:

1. Go here and download Market Enabler http://getandroidstuff.com/marketenabler-android-phone-download-v3112/
    2. Install it
    3. Open it and "Save Current Settings"
    4. Go to Settings List and long press on the "[nl] T-Mobile (T-Mobile)" option (I did get the US T-Mobile one to work finally)
    5. Choose "fake this provider now"
    6. Try the market again.
    - Money values will be in the Netherlands currency, but at least you can use it until the permanent fix is figured out.

(when the fix is figured out - just go back to Market Enabler and choose "Restore" to get your old settings back)
    I moved TnTLite and the TnTLite supplemental ROMs to the internal memory, in a folder named "ROMS" per the instructions. They're there. But when I go into ClockworkMod to install from SD Card, the folder is empty - NOTHING! :confused:

Am I supposed to rename these things? I mounted /system and /data, selected "Install from SD Card" and navigated to the ROMS folder... empty!

Any hints?

Are they .rar files instead of .zip?

If they are you need to unrar them on a pc and then move them to your tablet as zip files