thinking about getting a SGS2 need advice

Search This thread

kezgez

Jan 24, 2010
Hi all, I know its down to personal preference, but, I have a SGS1 with 16GB internal memory running 2.3.3. stock, so getting a SGS2 would not improve any of that, do you think its worth getting the SGS2? what would you all do and what would be the improvement i would see?
Thanks for your thoughts:D

gsw5700

Jan 31, 2011
Been playing with one this weekend, they are very fast, have lots of memory and white ones look great.
The downside, everyone has one, sound is worse than SGS1, nexus prime out soon. I would personally get the nexus or wait for the SGS3 etc, surely you want something a bit different, the 2 is just a little bigger and a little faster
Sent using TCP/IP

upichie

Nov 15, 2010
Hi all, I know its down to personal preference, but, I have a SGS1 with 16GB internal memory running 2.3.3. stock, so getting a SGS2 would not improve any of that, do you think its worth getting the SGS2? what would you all do and what would be the improvement i would see?
Thanks for your thoughts:D

16 GB and 2.3.3... nope, you're right. There would be no improvement whatsoever. (Seriously? :confused:)

Been playing with one this weekend, they are very fast, have lots of memory and white ones look great.
The downside, everyone has one, sound is worse than SGS1, nexus prime out soon. I would personally get the nexus or wait for the SGS3 etc, surely you want something a bit different, the 2 is just a little bigger and a little faster
Sent using TCP/IP

This, by far. +1

greeced

Jan 26, 2010
My wife picked one up a week ago, so I can truly compare mine to it side by side and I would say, I like it a lot.

1. Much, much faster.
2. There doesn't appear to be any Lag involved
3. Battery doesn't seem to last very long, but as I tested that part of it early on, it may need a few cycled charges to really say how good/bad it is.
4. GPS is way better than the SGS.

Now, having said all that, the phone is perfect for my wife (she bought the white one). She, having been a long-time blackberry user til her 9700 screen crapped out has been getting used to it, but she's starting to like this phone much better than her blackberry.

Like I said though.. its perfect for my wife. She doesn't know Gingerbread from Shortbread when it comes to this phone, and I intend to keep it that way. Yes this phone runs 2.3.3, but it doesn't seem to bad compared to my SGS with stock 2.3.3 as well. My phone is rooted, but I don't have intentions of rooting hers.

Long story short, its blazing fast, but I wouldn't buy one for myself. Samsung is just too slow on firmware updates to make it worth it for me. In fact any carrier specific phone would be. They are Androids, but they are kind of like Androids bastardized cousin. For me, my next phone is a nexus. I want it to grow as Android grows, and that only happens with Google.

SkinBobUk

Jun 5, 2010
My Mrs has a black sgs2 and comparing it to my original sgs is tough.

On the plus side the screen and speed of the sgs2 are really nice. However for everyday use i find it just that little bit too big, also the handset doesn't feel as strong as the original. Im reasonably confident i could drop my phone and survive to tell the tale, but with the 2 i find myself being really careful.

Sound on the 2 really isn't anywhere near the standard of original, i like to hear my music, although I've not seen if supercurio has made much progress on the 2.

Sent From My Android Shizzle!

greeced

Jan 26, 2010

I agree, those are awesome specs. But then again, so are the SGII's... definitely not comparable, but awesome nonetheless.

My whole point in this is, specs are just that... specs. The SGS II that my wife has is amazing specs wise. Its head over heals better specs wise than my SGS1.

Here's the problem though... aside from flashier graphics, a bigger screen, and a flash for the camera, its still 2.3.3. So its not a great leap for me to go to it.... its essentially the same phone if you think about it. Sure, the SGS2 will most likely get the upgrade to ICS, but when? After Jello or whatever 'J' is comes out?

The SGS3 will suffer the same fate. It will be up to Samsung to update it, not google.

The SGS3 will be a great phone, but you'll have to wait for a developer to harness its true power. Just like the SG2 and SGS1.

Whereas any nexus incarnation will have google behind it, and updated accordingly.

haloimplant

Aug 19, 2010

1.8 GHz dual core, 2GB RAM and samoled plus HD (read: RGB, not pentile)...daaaamn. I'm dropping cash on that the day it comes out unless I get a Nexus Prime instead. The rounded shape makes it look pretty big though.

Could be total BS though, there are two mistakes on the slide: copying is spelt wrong and the SGS doesn't have exynos cpu it has hummingbird. It's also weird that the "copying or reproduction is not allowed" is located like that, usually it would be along the bottom of each slide in a presentation so as not to interfere with any of the content. The way it is kind of screams "single fake slide".

Last edited:

Rootax

Mar 6, 2011
Paris
For the record, Samsung renamed all their SoC to Exynos xxxx, even humingbird. I find this stupid, but that's how it is.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

upichie

Nov 15, 2010
My whole point in this is, specs are just that... specs. The SGS II that my wife has is amazing specs wise. Its head over heals better specs wise than my SGS1.

Here's the problem though... aside from flashier graphics, a bigger screen, and a flash for the camera, its still 2.3.3. So its not a great leap for me to go to it.... its essentially the same phone if you think about it. Sure, the SGS2 will most likely get the upgrade to ICS, but when? After Jello or whatever 'J' is comes out?

The SGS3 will suffer the same fate. It will be up to Samsung to update it, not google.

The SGS3 will be a great phone, but you'll have to wait for a developer to harness its true power. Just like the SG2 and SGS1.

Whereas any nexus incarnation will have google behind it, and updated accordingly.

I have no problem running stock AOSP Android on any SGS, so what exactly are you waiting for? You say we have to wait for Samsung, then we have to wait for a developer... but in reality, ICS will be on the SGS2 with practically no wait at all.

greeced

Jan 26, 2010
I have no problem running stock AOSP Android on any SGS, so what exactly are you waiting for? You say we have to wait for Samsung, then we have to wait for a developer... but in reality, ICS will be on the SGS2 with practically no wait at all.

"Official Samsung Firmwares" are never instantaneous, at least not here in Canada they aren't.

I mean think about it. The original SGS was the flagship phone, and we had to wait a long to go to Froyo when it first came out to the rest of the world... then while the rest of the world was enjoying bug fixes inside 2.2.1, we in Canada never received a 2.2.1 update at all.

Then go over to Gingerbread. Took forever for Canada to yet again see 2.3.3. But that is where Canada is at right now.. INCLUDING THE CURRENT FLAGSHIP SGS2. The rest of the world is either enjoying 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 or 2.3.6.

Lets not even mention the blatant, "reproduceable for anyone" bugs that are in 2.3.3 but not 2.3.4 for our I9000M's... namely swype speech button not working at all on the SGS.

AOSP? You'd have to fill me in on where you're getting your roms that don't void warranty for using them. Thats not a point I care about, but many others out there do.

The SGS2 (My wifes) was released AFTER 2.3.4 came out... yet they put 2.3.3 on it. That make any sense to anyone?

Sure it makes sense.. Carrier branded or "Locked" phones get in the way of quick releases for obvious reasons, and beyond that, samsung has 10 billion different incarnations of the same device that may need tweaking here or there to the rom. Hence slowdowns.

Having said all this, Google Phones don't have that problem.... The Nexus Prime will be what? the 3rd or 4th phone released under the Nexus name? Easy to code for, find bugs and release an update.

All these specs we are seeing for the SGS 3 may or may not be real. Same goes for the Nexus Prime. We'll have to wait and see.... but to me, quick support and updates mean everything.

kezgez

Jan 24, 2010
please correct me if im wrong but the galaxy nexus is made by samsung so wont we have the same software update waits that we get with the SGS1 and 2

xdapao3

Oct 31, 2008
I have had a Galaxy S for 6 months and I upgraded to a Galaxy S2 a couple of weeks ago.

On the SG1 sound over the earphones is better, battery lasts longer and... that's all.

Everything else is better on the SG2 but the true big reason to upgrade, for me, was the SG2'S 1Gb RAM. I multitask a lot and even with bigmem firmwares and GalaxyTuner task-killer tuning I had apps having to reload almost every time I switched back to them (especially when one of the ones open in the background was the browser, which was very often).
That's the big single reason to upgrade, for me, and I am VERY happy with the SG2 in this regard. This phone is a multitasking king.

Having said all of that, unless you have similar needs I wouldn't advise upgrading. Everything is better on the SG2 but not enough, IMO, to make the upgrade worth it. Wait for something which is a bigger improvement over the SG1, like the Note (not for everyone, I know, but going to be my next smartphone in 6 months or so) or the SG3.

BTW, I see the Galaxy Nexus mentioned a lot, to me it's inferior to my SG2 (NO SD CARD SLOT!?!) apart obviously from ICS, which the SG2 is going to get.

bob fishman

Aug 21, 2009
I had a play around on an SGS2, had the opportunity to upgrade from my i9000 relatively cheaply and even though I thought it was great, would have appreciated the additional RAM and more powerful CPU I didn't go for it. The audio quality was just crap compared to my SGS and half the time I listen to music on it whilst working or on the bus or whatever so music's important to me and in that sense it would have been a downgrade.

Also as a matter of personal taste I thought it was a little too big. You could get used to it but the way I see it even with my giant head and giant hands I just about get away with a 4 inch handset (which I find the ideal sort of size) and anything larger just seems a little ostentatious. Unfortunately there currently seems to be a trend towards giant phones which I'm hoping will die out soon because when I do get round to upgrading I don't want to feel like I have to walk around with some Trigger Happy TVesque giant.

Anyways, like the bloke above I think the RAM would be the biggest upgrade, multitasking and all that. I don't really see anything that really needs the dual core processor and GPU wise the SGX540 in the SGS is alright, and seeing as we don't currently get the games you do on iOS it's not like it's really getting pushed that much anyway.

Bottomline I'd say if music is important to you, stick to the SGS. If not and you're a multitasking fiend it's probably worth the upgrade if you can get a good deal.