Unsecure kernel for LT28i + Root

Search This thread

ganeshbiyer

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
This was the very basic guide I followed for the Xperia S but when trying for the ion and for ICS on the Xperia S it gets errors on the mount command:

I was able to move Superuser.apk and su binary to respective folder. I also set the permissions.
I Have created the system2.img.
How to convert it to .sin file.

Spectre51

I was able to move Superuser.apk and su binary to respective folder. I also set the permissions.
I Have created the system2.img.
How to convert it to .sin file.

You don't need to convert it. Just flash it via fastboot (unlocked bootloader required)

You didn't have any issue with the mounting the image? before copying the files? Care to share what you did.

ganeshbiyer

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 16, 2011
Bangalore
You don't need to convert it. Just flash it via fastboot (unlocked bootloader required)

You didn't have any issue with the mounting the image? before copying the files? Care to share what you did.

Hey i did not do anything different from what you had mentioned on the earlier post.
I am also not aware of what sort of error it throws for you. Would be helpful if you post the error.

1. Unzipped the firmware package.
2. python ./sin2img.py system.sin system.img
3. sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop system.img system
4. sudo rm system/app/livewallpaperearth.apk (it was giving me not enough space error, so had to do this)
5. sudo cp Superuser.apk system/app/
6. sudo cp su system/bin/
7. sudo chmod 644 system/app/Superuser.apk
8. sudo chmod 06755 system/bin/su
9. sudo ./mkuserimg.sh -s system ./system2.img ext4 ./temp 1024M (had to run make to compile and get make_ext4fs)
I had already unlocked the boot loader yesterday. But i am very new to all this Xperia things.

Could you please let me know how to flash using flashboot. Is the below command OK.

fastboot flash system system2.img

Edit:
Rooted successfully.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 3,253
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,249
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Here is my first try for building an insecure kernel without su su or any other modifications.

6.0.F.0.72 https://hotfile.com/dl/162182111/93e199a/LT28i_6.0.F.0.72_Boot.elf.html
    6.0.F.0.111 https://hotfile.com/dl/162367993/a96688d/LT28i_6.0.F.0.111_Boot_Inecure.elf.html

Thanks to Androxyde for helping me build this kernel.

Xperia ION rooting pack: https://hotfile.com/dl/162186202/75d3ffd/Xperia_Ion_Rooting.zip.html

Here is a batch file for adding su and busybox into the rom.

[Procedure for rooting]
    1. Unlock the bootloader.
    2. Flash your Xperia ION LT28i with the insecure kernel.
    3. Boot the phone and connect with debugging on.
    4. Extract the Xperia ION rooting pack and run the batch file.
    5. Install the latest version of superuser and busybox from google play.
    I am still learning how to make a prerooted system.img. Do you have any idea how to build one?

This was the very basic guide I followed for the Xperia S but when trying for the ion and for ICS on the Xperia S it gets errors on the mount command:

Installed debian/gnome, updated and downloaded pyton and other packages

downloaded ext4 utilites:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1081239
    created sin2img.py:
    https://github.com/defer/semc-xperia-tools/blob/master/sin2img.py
    created system.sin with flashtool

root@user:/home/user# cd android
    root@user:/home/user/android# python ./sin2img.py system.sin system.img
    root@user:/home/user/android# mkdir system; mount -t ext4 -o loop system.img system

download Superuser.apk and su from http://androidsu.com/superuser/

root@user:/home/user/android# cp Superuser.apk system/app/
    root@user:/home/user/android# cp su system/bin/
    root@user:/home/user/android# chmod 644 system/app/Superuser.apk
    root@user:/home/user/android# chmod 06755 system/bin/su

root@user:/home/user/android# ./mkuserimg.sh -s system ./system2.img ext4 ./temp 1024M
    +1

Though I think a better title to the post should have been just Sony Xperia ion not AT&T

Its always been this way for users of bootloader locked devices. The fact that a root method exists for unlocked bootloaders is great. Just means we have to figure out how to unlock the BL for those devices that are locked.

Once we can figure out what Sony has done with the new system.sin files we might actually be able to get a simple prerooted image. Again for unlocked BL.

As far how we can go about unlocking the AT&T BL....that I have no clue. Don't think there is a testpoint method for these like there was for the Xpedia Play.

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

I was thinking about that, the AT&T/no AT&T thing in the title, but I ended up going with what it's called in the forums. Top left corner it says "AT&T". It's a little confusing because if I don't include things like that, people often get mad at me. the AT&T Galaxy Note users hated it before I started differentiating their development from the International development so I got into the habit of just putting exactly what it is entitled on the forums.

I really wasn't trying to be a troll. I just thought your article was misleading and I was trying to call attention to that. I'm not mad and I fully expect the device to be rooted soon. I flashed the international firmware so I no longer have all that AT&T bloat so I'm happy. I really only use root to back up all my apps anyway. Hopefully there will be kernel development in the future but that is just an added bonus really.

As for developers, my thought was that the article might deter the developers that we desperately need. I figured if they thought that we already had root then they would spend their time elsewhere. But what do I know about devs?

My original intent was only to bring to light to those in the community that most AT&T devices do not have root. I believe in the XDA community, and I'm sure we'll have one soon.

Thanks for all you do for XDA PoorCollegeGuy. :) Sometimes we should read and give the writer the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Forgive me for my misunderstanding as I'm sure you can guess how hard it is to guess at a person's tone of voice when reading a statement as opposed to hearing it. I have taken no offense and I hope you didn't either.

Dev support is hard to gauge or predict. Some devs love the challenge, even if they don't own the device. Others would rather stick to home base and wouldn't care who needed the help. Frankly, based on my experience writing about Sony Xperia devices, I thought pretty much everything you guys had was interchangeable. I've seen literally hundreds of "this works on all xperia phone" mods n such. If I were you guys, I'd hit up the well known Sony Xperia hackers to see if they can help. Or, if you can talk em into it, the guys who do the Juopunubear S-Off mod are brilliant with bootloaders. That's what I'd do...a friendly suggestion from your neighborhood spy (I mean writer).

In any case, when/if the bootloader gets unlocked, better believe it's going up on the portal :) i'll be keeping an eye out for you guys.
    Hey yuunanase, Thanks a bunch for your work. Out for the holiday but will help you guys test soon as I return. SAWEEET!!! earbrain
    Anyone get to try this on LT28at yet to see if it works? I am assuming it would since we can flash LT28i firmware onto our phones. The only question would be if it works with LTE or not.

Well since you need an unlocked bootloader it won't work on the lt28at since we can't unlock the bootloaders yet.