Infinity Revisited - Need Some Advice

Search This thread

llcooljayce

Nov 4, 2007
Hey guys,

I am back to using the TF700T after about a year's absence from it. I've done a bunch of tweaks on it some time ago and can't really remember all the things that have been done. I know that the device is rooted and unlocked but couldn't tell you the ROM or anything else ... not that it matters.

I want to get this thing back up and running as fast as possible so I am looking for some suggestions on a lightweight ROM that has speed as its focus. I don't care if I lose everything on it and would like to go back to as factory of a feel as possible ... I'm even open to the OTA ROM if people believe it's the best.

Can someone provide some suggestions on where to start?

LetMeKnow

Jun 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Hey guys,

I am back to using the TF700T after about a year's absence from it. I've done a bunch of tweaks on it some time ago and can't really remember all the things that have been done. I know that the device is rooted and unlocked but couldn't tell you the ROM or anything else ... not that it matters.

I want to get this thing back up and running as fast as possible so I am looking for some suggestions on a lightweight ROM that has speed as its focus. I don't care if I lose everything on it and would like to go back to as factory of a feel as possible ... I'm even open to the OTA ROM if people believe it's the best.

This is maybe what you are looking for....;) It is light version of Cromi X and very fast in my opinion...:good:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2520828

Please let us know your opinion...Thanks...

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Most popular, for a very good reason, is CROMi-X. Based on the stock rom, cleaned and optimized to the nines. It's how the stock rom should have been
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2425383

Lightweight?
Go for miniCROMi-X - stripped down to the essentials, very fast but you may miss some bells and whistles but definitely worth a try.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2520828

Want Kitkat on the TF700? CyanogenMod 11 will get you there. Still some bugs though.
Then there's OMNI ROM, Paranoid, CMB.... they all have a thread in the Development section. Check them out.

Make sure you update your bootloader and recovery to the required version. If you didn't update in a year, both are definitely outdated!

llcooljayce

Nov 4, 2007
Thank you for the suggestions but could you point me in the right direction to update my bootloader and recovery? It's been a while and I don't want to hard brick my Transformer.

I have since updated my computer so I'm sure my drivers for the Transformer aren't up to date ...

Sorry to ask but could you walk me through the process as if I'm new to it again?

Very much appreciated.

Model Number
ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

Android Version

Kernel Version 3.1.10
root@clemsyn-EP43-UD3L $51

Build Number
CleanROM 3.1 inheritance

What I am most afraid of is that I don't know what version of the Transformer it is ... US, World Wide ... the build number seems to have deleted all reference when I had flashed to ClearROM. Any way to figure this out with another method?

Last edited:

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for the suggestions but could you point me in the right direction to update my bootloader and recovery? It's been a while and I don't want to hard brick my Transformer.

I have since updated my computer so I'm sure my drivers for the Transformer aren't up to date ...

Sorry to ask but could you walk me through the process as if I'm new to it again?

Very much appreciated.

What I am most afraid of is that I don't know what version of the Transformer it is ... US, World Wide ... the build number seems to have deleted all reference when I had flashed to ClearROM. Any way to figure this out with another method?

Well if you are in the US, most likely it is US... And it doesn't matter that much on a custom ROM anyway.
Read the OP in the CROMI-X thread and follow the instructions for scenario 2. Download the bootloader /TWRP package provided there, flash it, reboot, do a factory wipe in TWRP and you're good to flash the rom.

llcooljayce

Nov 4, 2007
Well if you are in the US, most likely it is US... And it doesn't matter that much on a custom ROM anyway.
Read the OP in the CROMI-X thread and follow the instructions for scenario 2. Download the bootloader /TWRP package provided there, flash it, reboot, do a factory wipe in TWRP and you're good to flash the rom.

Problem is that I am in Canada and Canadians get either the WW or US version. From what I am reading, if I choose the wrong bootloader, I will brick my device. Any other way to determine the SKU version?

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Problem is that I am in Canada and Canadians get either the WW or US version. From what I am reading, if I choose the wrong bootloader, I will brick my device. Any other way to determine the SKU version?

The bootloader is universal. Only the firmware is regional. Look in About Tablet > Build Number. Even your old CROMi version should have a US or WW in it. But AFAIK Canada is North America, which is US - sorry, I know it's a sore point with you Canadians :D

llcooljayce

Nov 4, 2007
The bootloader is universal. Only the firmware is regional. Look in About Tablet > Build Number. Even your old CROMi version should have a US or WW in it. But AFAIK Canada is North America, which is US - sorry, I know it's a sore point with you Canadians :D

The Build Number indicates CleanROM 3.1 inheritance without anything else

Will I brick if I choose the wrong bootloader?

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
The Build Number indicates CleanROM 3.1 inheritance without anything else

Will I brick if I choose the wrong bootloader?

Possibly if you flash the WRONG bootloader, but you won't if you flash the bootloader/TWRP package from the OP of the CROMi-X thread!
It contains the 10.6.1.14.10 bootloader (which is the latest for this tablet) and TWRP 2.6.1 which has been rock solid on this device.
During installation of the rom (if you go for CROMi-X) you will have the choice to install the WW or US version. The difference is mostly in the WiFi modules in the kernel I think, different channels are used in Europe and the US. But really, even if you flash the "wrong" version - you can just reflash the other one right on top of it.
If you go for a CM rom you don't even have that "problem". There are no regional versions for CM - and thousands of users are still very happy with it....
Read the CROMi-X OP carefully. Read it again - and then again until you're sure you understand the instructions.

Maybe a refresher would help. I wrote a beginners guide to flashing a rom on this tablet (most of it you won't need since you already have a custom recovery installed, but maybe it would be helpful to you to understand the process).
http://www.transformerforums.com/fo...ginners-guide-flashing-custom-rom-tf700t.html

For you only these steps are needed:
Flash the bootloader/TWRP package mentioned above
Reboot
Boot into recovery and do a Factory Wipe in TWRP
Flash the rom
Enjoy

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012

Boot into the bootloader menu (hold down Volume-left while turning on), it shows the bootloader version.

The bootloader is universal. Only the firmware is regional.

The bootloader also has US and WW versions, but they are identical except for the displayed version string (at least I compared the 10.6.1.14.4 bootloaders back when they were released).

andand1234

Oct 30, 2010
Hey guys,

First post ever here at xda. My suggestion would be to start with flatline, to bricksafe your device. Then it is all about taste. Personally I prefer Cromi-X by sbdags.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbdags

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

First post ever here at xda. My suggestion would be to start with flatline, to bricksafe your device. Then it is all about taste. Personally I prefer Cromi-X by sbdags.