[GUIDE] Set Tasker to AutoReboot on Loss of Signal (LOS)

Search This thread

Snazzytime

Dec 12, 2010
Champaign, IL
Loss of Signal (LOS) is annoying. A quick reboot gets signal back. Why wait until you notice you have LOS to reboot? You could be missing phone calls and messages. This will have your phone reboot automatically (unless you're using it), and also record a timestamp of when it happens so you can keep track of it!

All you need: Tasker!

Here is the XML file of this profile.

1. Open Tasker.
  2. Create new profile, call it whatever (I called it 'LOS')
  3. First Context: State -> Variable Value
  4. Variable Value Name: %CELLSRV, Matches, Value = 'noservice' (no quotes)
  5. Hit Done -> New Task (Call it whatever)
  6. Add: Alert -> Vibrate (for any amount of time. I use 600ms since it'll probably be in my pocket when it happens, but I'd still like to know just in case)
  7. Add: Alert -> Popup (To let you know whats going down)
  8. Add: Task ('Tasker' for older versions) -> Wait (Give it like 30 seconds to give you time to react if you're using phone. If I don't want it to reboot, I would turn airplane mode on, or you can have it check if the screen is off)
  9. Add: Task -> If (%CELLSRV ~ noservice) (Checks again if its still LOS)
  10. Add: Task -> If (%AIR ~ off) OR Add: Task -> If (%SCREEN ~ off) (To check if you're using the phone)
  11. Add: File -> Write File -> File: Tasker/LOS.txt (or whatever file you want to log to), Text: %Date, %Time. Check 'Append'! Done.
  12. Add: Misc -> Reboot
  13. Test and enjoy
Alternatively, if you want to stop the task once it's started, just open tasker, edit the task, and select Killall.

NOTE: Tasker will say that there is no active profiles when you have signal. This is fine! Once you lose signal, it will run the script and then the profile will be active.

How you can test this outside of Tasker's test option is by turning on airplane mode, waiting a few seconds, and turn airplane mode off again. When airplane mode turns off, you initially have no signal until it connects, thus running the script.

Now this is all customizable to fit your needs. Some have added an option to send a text message to themselves upon getting a LOS, letting them know that way when it was. I prefer logging in a txt file, but up to you.

I just found the variable names and values here, and put them to work.
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguid...variables.html. Its just under cell service state and airplane mode status.

Hope that helps guys. I only learned how to use Tasker last night, so if you have better ideas on how to go about this, please reply.

Last edited:

brentspink

Dec 30, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Works great but your steps #8 and #9 should be listed as add Task, not add Tasker. Just a little confusing for a newb like me. But other than that......WORKS GREAT!!!!!

Snazzytime

Dec 12, 2010
Champaign, IL
Works great but your steps #8 and #9 should be listed as add Task, not add Tasker.

Well here's the thing. The If and Wait commands are found under: Add new task -> Tasker -> If/Wait. This is why I wrote it as such.

Maybe its just the version I'm using. Glad its working well for you!

Edit: Here's what is shown for me (older versions).
http://i.imgur.com/9Ek9s.jpg

Last edited:

brentspink

Dec 30, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Hmm, yes its different for me. I got newest versions of both quickboot and tasker last night after I saw this developing. Anyway, thanks man. I got a LOS in the last minute or so and it rebooted with no action required from me, restarted tasker after boot and is ready for another LOS. Sooooo nice not having to look at the phone every 10 minutes to ensure I won't miss a call and that the battery isnt quickly draining!

reinaldistic

May 3, 2011
Why not instead of all that convoluted vibration, popup and airplane mode why don't you just "if it" to %SCREEN ~ off

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

* "if" the reebot task that is

Last edited:
Reactions: Snazzytime

DutchDogg54

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 16, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I love this workaround for LOS but man, Tasker is an expensive app...not to mention needing quick boot plus. Ticks me off that Sprint can't get their s*** figured out and we're forced to pay 8 bucks, and have bright people like you all create a fix, for such a basic part of our service with them.

I'm ready for an OTA fix like a week ago. :mad:

Erislover

Apr 7, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, FL
LOS is annoying. A quick reboot gets signal back. Why wait until you notice you have LOS to reboot? You could be missing phone calls and messages. This will have your phone reboot automatically (unless you're using it).

What you need: Tasker and Quick Boot Plus.
There's another way to do it using Locale instead of Quick Boot Plus, but Locale is more expensive. See this if you have Locale.

1. Open Tasker.
  6. Add: Alert -> Vibrate (for any amount of time. I use 600ms since it'll probably be in my pocket when it happens, but I'd still like to know just in case)
  8. Add: Task ('Tasker' for older versions) -> Wait (Give it like 30 seconds to give you time to react if you're using phone. If I don't want it to reboot, I would turn airplane mode on, or you can have it check if the screen is off)
  9. Add: Task -> If (%AIR ~ off) OR Add: Task -> If (%SCREEN ~ off) (To check if you're using the phone)
  10. Add: Plugin -> Quick Boot -> Edit -> Reboot (If airplane mode is still off, reboot)
  11. Test and enjoy
Alternatively, if you want to stop the task once it's started, just open tasker, edit the task, and select Killall.

How you can test this outside of Tasker's test option is by turning on airplane mode, waiting a few seconds, and turn airplane mode off again. When airplane mode turns off, you initially have no signal until it connects, thus running the script.

Now this is all customizable to fit your needs. If you often lose signal but it comes back say after a minute (like you're in a tunnel or something), just add another wait function after the first signal check, then add another signal check to see if you still have no signal, and then run the rest of the task.

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguid...variables.html. Its just under cell service state and airplane mode status.

Hope that helps guys. I only learned how to use Tasker last night, so if you have better ideas on how to go about this, please reply.

great stuff, man...thanks for sharing!

dallastx

Sep 29, 2008
Dallas TX
The last time we talked about this, it was polling to find out if signal has been lost. Would this be battery efficient?

distantneighbor

May 1, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
works great, thanks.

couple additions I did was just before the reboot command, i added two tasks and that is to send myself a sms text (saying "LOS Occurred" but can be whatever) to myself then a wait command of 12 seconds (to give the phone enough time to send the text before it goes into a reboot)

when the phone comes back up, I will have a text in my messaging telling me a los reboot occurred and will of course be timestamped.

works great

dtm_stretch

Dec 22, 2010
Albany
works great, thanks.

couple additions I did was just before the reboot command, i added two tasks and that is to send myself a sms text (saying "LOS Occurred" but can be whatever) to myself then a wait command of 12 seconds (to give the phone enough time to send the text before it goes into a reboot)

when the phone comes back up, I will have a text in my messaging telling me a los reboot occurred and will of course be timestamped.

works great

How does your phone send the sms with no signal? Our does it send it after the reboot?

Snazzytime

Dec 12, 2010
Champaign, IL
I believe the phone stores the text until you get signal.

I just added this to mine:

Add task: File -> Write File -> Tasker/LOS.txt
Text: %Date, %Time
Check 'Append'.

This will add a timestamp everytime it happens. Works like pancakes.

Added to original post. Thanks distantneighbor.

distantneighbor

May 1, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
How does your phone send the sms with no signal? Our does it send it after the reboot?

you know what, I am not sure it will work with a LOS, I only got a chance to test it with the airplane method Snazzy listed in the OP but of course it could be sending it as soon as the connection loads back up from airplane mode.

I believe the phone stores the text until you get signal.

I just added this to mine:

Add task: File -> Write File -> Tasker/LOS.txt
Text: %Date, %Time
Check 'Append'.

This will add a timestamp everytime it happens. Works like pancakes.

Added to original post. Thanks distantneighbor.

if this is a sure fire way to record it and see it when it comes back, Maybe I will just do it this way instead. glad my idea came to use though

Devi0124

Dec 1, 2010
How can I load the xml file?

nm got it: Worked great.. I took out the wait and the pop up but yeah... pretty nice. I only get LoS at work and it could be hours before I notice so this really helps.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Loss of Signal (LOS) is annoying. A quick reboot gets signal back. Why wait until you notice you have LOS to reboot? You could be missing phone calls and messages. This will have your phone reboot automatically (unless you're using it), and also record a timestamp of when it happens so you can keep track of it!

All you need: Tasker!

1. Open Tasker.
    9. Add: Task -> If (%CELLSRV ~ noservice) (Checks again if its still LOS)
    10. Add: Task -> If (%AIR ~ off) OR Add: Task -> If (%SCREEN ~ off) (To check if you're using the phone)
    11. Add: File -> Write File -> File: Tasker/LOS.txt (or whatever file you want to log to), Text: %Date, %Time. Check 'Append'! Done.
    12. Add: Misc -> Reboot
    13. Test and enjoy

NOTE: Tasker will say that there is no active profiles when you have signal. This is fine! Once you lose signal, it will run the script and then the profile will be active.

Now this is all customizable to fit your needs. Some have added an option to send a text message to themselves upon getting a LOS, letting them know that way when it was. I prefer logging in a txt file, but up to you.

works great, thanks.

works great
    Why not instead of all that convoluted vibration, popup and airplane mode why don't you just "if it" to %SCREEN ~ off

* "if" the reebot task that is
    Tasker can reboot without any extra apps... its under misc>reboot.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
    I've looked through the online userguide and looked through the various menu options on the app but I can't find where it stores the timestamp for this. Can you tell me where it's at?

Thanks!