Picture Of the Reset Button in Opened Gtab

Search This thread

kzintz

Apr 2, 2011
View attachment 986115

Here is a shot of the reset button location on my GTAB. Seemed a little different from some pictures - although not hard to find lol. Thought might as well take a shot and upload it while I was in there. Opened it because I got a SOD from PLUGGING IN THE USB to COMPUTER while tab was asleep - I CAN say moron :) Used the instructions on another thread (one about installing a GPS) One press and it rebooted ...

I was running ICS FYI

Last edited:
Reactions: rhilway and Hexbug

Godzilla10

Mar 24, 2011
Measurements

could you maybe drill this hole with some good measurements or is opening the case the only option

DaggerDave

Jan 18, 2011
could you maybe drill this hole with some good measurements or is opening the case the only option

Team DRH (the creators of the gtab ICS rom) is named after the holes they drilled in the back of their tablets to easily access the reset button. So yes, you can, but you will have to take the back off once to do it. With the back removed, make sure your measurements are correct, and drill a small hole just big enough for a toothpick or paper clip to fit through. Then clean the debris off the back cover and put the Gtab back together.

You can also let the tablet run completely out of power. That is also supposed to reset it, but it takes forever, especially if you are stuck in APX mode.

By the way, in over a year with my Gtab on many different roms and almost a month now on ICS, I have not ever had to use the reset button. Point is, you might want to wait till you need to push the button to drill the hole. You might never need it.

Last edited:

Godzilla10

Mar 24, 2011
drilling

I'm just saying it might be easier to just get some good reset button coordinates and drill the hole instead of opening the case but i didn't know that draining the battery would also reset it. thats good info. I havn't had any problems yet but i would rather not open it and just drill a tiny hole where the reset button is when and if i have problems.

KnightCrusader

Nov 16, 2008
Yep, there is that damn reset button. I've only had to open mine up once, and a coworkers up once (she didn't have the SOD, her's was actually stuck on and not responding)... but if I have to open it up again, I'm drilling a DRH into it. :)

fosser2

Apr 14, 2011
Wisconsin
When you have your tablet opened up take a clear plastic bag and set it across the tablet. Mark the 4 screw holes and mark the reset hole on it. Then take this "guide" and flip it around and match up the 4 screw holes you drew with the ones on the back cover. Mark the reset hole location and drill the hole. Seriously, before you drill make sure the orientation of everything is proper. This is the easiest way to mark the reset hole. I did it this way and mine turned out like such.

It looks very professional and you can barely tell that it is there.

EDIT: I do want to add this. If anyone gives out dimensions I would not go and attempt to punch a hole without removing the back case. The clearance between that back of the case and the mainboard is much too close and any small slip of the hand will send you drilling into the board.

Last edited:

Hexbug

Feb 27, 2011
Just found myself needing to do the reset button. However, interestingly enough, this was after UNplugging it from the PC while it was shutting down (from within CWM) after checking it could connect (using the "adb devices" command - after finally getting the drivers to work on my PC). ADB finally worked perfectly, but when I went to shut it down, I unplugged it from the PC before it was actually shut down, and it is now stuck on the black screen w/ the TeamDRH logo and says "Shutting down....".

So, apparently it's not just plugging it in while asleep that we need to worry about! Do not unplug it while shutting down from CWM!

fosser2

Apr 14, 2011
Wisconsin
Just found myself needing to do the reset button. However, interestingly enough, this was after UNplugging it from the PC while it was shutting down (from within CWM) after checking it could connect (using the "adb devices" command - after finally getting the drivers to work on my PC). ADB finally worked perfectly, but when I went to shut it down, I unplugged it from the PC before it was actually shut down, and it is now stuck on the black screen w/ the TeamDRH logo and says "Shutting down....".

So, apparently it's not just plugging it in while asleep that we need to worry about! Do not unplug it while shutting down from CWM!

Ya I've been there myself too. You are the first person I've seen report on that issue so it seems that it does happen when you pull the cord out while shutting down recovery...werid...

Hexbug

Feb 27, 2011
Reset hole completed in less than 1/2 hr. Problem solved!!! :)

Just some additional info that might help anyone else planning to do the reset hole: I found that using a piece of wax paper was perfect for marking the screw holes and reset hole (using a sharpie). Then, laying the wax paper over the case, use an exacto knife to cut a tiny hole in the wax paper where the reset hole goes -- then you can mark the dot/circle on the case with sharpie. This marked it spot on!

Last edited:

Olderthandos

Jan 11, 2011
Had to Drill the DRH

I left my G-tab running while running the Team DRH ICS. I went to DRH ICS once before, but found it laggy and went back to Flashback. Had nothing but problems after that. So back to DRH. Anyway, was plugged in to power and had it connected to the PC via USB. No problem.

However, I forgot about all that while I went to fix a broken electric socket downstairs and when I powered down the whole house (can't be to careful) it went into sleep and when I powered up the house after the repair, in went into SOD.

Oh well, started to let the Gtab run down the battery but realized it would take forever, and, further, I use a USB alot. So, took it apart after I read the instructions and found the magic reset button. Used a clear plastic bag, as recommended, to mark the screw holes and the button. Worked great, and had the hole right above the button with a nice clean little hole in the back panel.

Anyway, now committed to Team DRH and ICS. I'll make it work one way or another. So far, nice. Sometimes a little laggy, but most of the time quick and responsive.

Best part, have my Gtab set up almost identical to my Xoom (Uses Team EOS V1.0) and am having few issues at all.

And, by the way, in regards to Team DRH's April Fools joke, I did a second install when I saw that thinking the install had actually failed. I guess I don't read all the instruction right on the first pass. Same problem I had in school as a kid.

Have Xoom on EOS Wingray and Gtab, now happily running ICS

fosser2

Apr 14, 2011
Wisconsin
And, by the way, in regards to Team DRH's April Fools joke, I did a second install when I saw that thinking the install had actually failed. I guess I don't read all the instruction right on the first pass. Same problem I had in school as a kid.

Have Xoom on EOS Wingray and Gtab, now happily running ICS

Ha, I got a good laugh out of this :p

TheBastage

Sep 17, 2010
San Francisco
dimensions

When you have your tablet opened up take a clear plastic bag and set it across the tablet. Mark the 4 screw holes and mark the reset hole on it. Then take this "guide" and flip it around and match up the 4 screw holes you drew with the ones on the back cover. Mark the reset hole location and drill the hole. Seriously, before you drill make sure the orientation of everything is proper. This is the easiest way to mark the reset hole. I did it this way and mine turned out like such.

It looks very professional and you can barely tell that it is there.

EDIT: I do want to add this. If anyone gives out dimensions I would not go and attempt to punch a hole without removing the back case. The clearance between that back of the case and the mainboard is much too close and any small slip of the hand will send you drilling into the board.

With the back cover facing up and the bottom edge towards you, I used 6 1/4 in from left and 3 13/16 from top. (Should have used 6 3/16 from left.) 1/8 in reset hole. Used a small piece of rubber to plug the hole. (Last 2 DRH releases, I made me rethink the wisdom of drilling. But I already had the cover off to resolder the power connection.)

But as fosser2 said, do this with the cover off. There is less than 1/8 in clearance. I was using a dremel and didn't have a drill press at the time.

All measurements in inches here... my apologies.

Last edited:

mickmu

Jan 8, 2012
Smyrna
what now

I'm stuck at the birds screen and tried opening and pushing reset, but it didn't change anything, still stuck at birds boot up screen.

rhilway

Oct 18, 2008
View attachment 986115

Here is a shot of the reset button location on my GTAB. Seemed a little different from some pictures - although not hard to find lol. Thought might as well take a shot and upload it while I was in there. Opened it because I got a SOD from PLUGGING IN THE USB to COMPUTER while tab was asleep - I CAN say moron :) Used the instructions on another thread (one about installing a GPS) One press and it rebooted ...

I was running ICS FYI
Haha June 2016, still found this useful. Thanks, my daughter refuses to give up her g tab, that she paid for with her own money at age 13. Flashing dirty bean, runs not bad at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    View attachment 986115

I was running ICS FYI