Two Aluminum Bumper Case Reviews: Ridged Ebay Special and Zomgo

Search This thread

xgrind

May 7, 2007
Singapore
Xiaomi Mi 8 Pro
Here's the photos. Good fit with no free play.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361889160723.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361889160723.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,081
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361889178020.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361889178020.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,044
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361889197519.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361889197519.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,054

hannki

Feb 15, 2013
Bought the bumper same as in the first review. Have used it a week or so now. Just last night I noticed that my keyboard is bit unresponsive at the right bottom edge.

I'm using nordic layout so I don't know what buttons you have there, but for me å, ä, backspace and enter are the ones effected. To use those buttons I have to press them targeting my Spen perfectly in left edge of buttons.

Removed the bumper and issue went away. Now that the bumper is back on the issue has come back. Other than that i just love this bumper.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
I've personally had some interesting experiences with metal bumper cases. I used to have a Galaxy S2, but now I have a Note 2 so I'm looking for a new metal/aluminium case. Check out my thread on metal bumper cases! My setup is similar to Ghost_1's setup; a metal bumper case with an extended Samsung 2000mAh Battery Kit and carbon fiber 3M Di-Noc on the back and home button. (Click the picture below)

I've been doing a bit of browsing around, and found this very nice looking aluminium case for the Galaxy Note 2. There are a few things that I'm concerned about though - the battery cover and the headphone jack. In the pictures, it looks like the case will add a bit of thickness all around the phone, and the battery cover doesn't seem to be signal-friendly. As the Note 2 makes contact with the antenna built-in to the original battery cover, this case might decrease the signal by a significant amount.

The case I found didn't specify a brand, but from the pictures it looked like it is manufactured by "Zomgo", bringing me to this thread.

If I can't find a better one, I'm going to get another Sweet Armor. They have one for the Note 2, but it's pretty expensive so I'm considering alternatives. My S2 one cost $72, but it was well worth it - no other case had a better fit than the Sweet Armor. <review mode> Made in Korea, the Sweet Armor gs2 has foam lining on the inside of the case, but it doesn't require much force to put the phone into it; the S2 can effortlessly slip into it like it was made by Samsung themselves. The external buttons are the perfect distance away from the phone's actual buttons, having a bit of elasticity holding them against the buttons. The added bulk is immediately apparent when you pick the phone up, but this directly translates into armour-like levels of protection. Due to the added ~ 5 mm thickness all around the phone, the USB port and headphone jack may become less accessible, but it was a sacrifice I was willing to take.</review mode>

Since I wanted to upgrade to a Note 2, I had to sell my S2, along with the case. I felt a bit empty after parting with such a legendary combination of battery and case...

Last edited:

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
This one also looks very good. There's a version for the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S4 - if only there was one for the Note 2.

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
The Draco Case looks amazing! But it costs close to $100...a bit out of my desired budget :(

factorycell

Feb 20, 2011
I had the bumper case on my note2, but the battery life dropped badly. Any others have any problems?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

TaLEntZ96

Nov 22, 2011
Adelaide
Has anyone used the walnutt bumper cases? The pics look good, but I don't want to waste 30 bucks just in case it isn't. I have an otterbox defender at th moment, but I want something for when I'm going out/wearing jeans,
Cheers!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372585378168.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372585378168.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 875

Andrew149

Jul 17, 2010
Modesto CA
Has anyone used the walnutt bumper cases? The pics look good, but I don't want to waste 30 bucks just in case it isn't. I have an otterbox defender at th moment, but I want something for when I'm going out/wearing jeans,
Cheers!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

I've been eye balling it, but I can't pull the trigger because it has a cut out on the top right for the Korean note for the attenna.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
I recently bought a new aluminium case from eBay. However, I received the wrong one. I bought this Zomgo Ultra Thin case (http://www.casefanatic.com/samsung-2/note-2/case-galaxy-note-2/zomgo-galaxy-note-2-metal-case/):
(I think that link redirects to eBay for some reason so try and copy the link address)

6nH0Pcq.jpg

But they sent me this 'KXX' case:

w13hMyE.jpg

It feels very cheap - the aluminium is coarse, the volume buttons are stuck pressed down and the S Pen is impossible to remove without long fingernails or a tool. NFC doesn't work, as expected of an aluminium case.

I rate this case 3/10.

Last edited:

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
I bought a new bumper style aluminium case that kinda looks like a Draco case, because after using my other case I experienced the inconveniences of an aluminium back blocking the signal. I will post some pictures when it arrives.
$(KGrHqR,!oQFG)JjhMZFBR3W+ts3Wg~~60_35.JPG

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
My new aluminium bumper has arrived!! It took 16 days to post from Hong Kong to Australia, which is average. The quality of this case is much higher than the old one. The stepped appearance of the CNC machined case makes it look very cool, and the brushed-polished edges make it look like the S4's design, but curvier and actually aluminium.

The case has much more adequate padding on the inside (which I will have pictures of once my digital camera is recharged), making it fit much much more snugly. Although constructed using more aluminium, it actually feels lighter than my old one, because it is thinner and more tapered along the edges. The buttons on the outside actually click on this one, but they aren't recessed enough so that they can't be accidentally bumped when the edge is placed on a flat surface. The increase in width along all edges also mean that the micro USB port and headphone jack are now more recessed than before, only accommodating slim plugs without a short extender.

The disappointing thing though is that the case isn't raised along the top like it was on my S2, so the camera is still prone to scratching. But I am overall satisfied with this case - it no longer blocks NFC and I think cellular reception has improved as well. The old one was practically a Faraday cage for the Note 2.

Final score: 8/10

As you can see, I also got a carbon fibre sticker, an aluminium home button sticker and a tempered glass screen protector, homage to my Galaxy S2's accessories.

O9BaM3s.jpg

XMub7if.jpg

WG1ioCG.jpg

9WODEB2.jpg

My old setup:

O5EHqfR.jpg

Update:
Comparison of new case with old case; the new bumper case is a lot sturdier than my old case.
9C2pv6u.jpg

The padding on the inside also holds the Note 2 in place better.
b1s2rVd.jpg

The case fits together very well - almost seamlessly where the two halves meet.
mWaUnyX.jpg

Last edited:

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
A simple search of 'Samsung galaxy note 2 aluminium bumper case' on eBay will get you what you want. You'll also find some dual coloured ones, too. I'm guessing a link to the exact listing of my case will eventually expire, but here it is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all, I've decided to do a review of two metal aluminum bumper cases I've tried. Unfortunately, as nice as they both looked, they both had issues that I feel need to be pointed out for those that may have come across these on ebay and are thinking about purchasing one.

The first one I tried was the version with the ridges on the sides and cutouts for the buttons which seems to be found pretty commonly on ebay (not the version with the buttons built into the case which also can be found ebay).

411cZNO6CxL._SS400_.jpg

IMG_7174-2.jpg

IMG_7181-2.jpg

IMG_7179-2.jpg

IMG_7184-2.jpg

The finish of the case is very nice, there aren't any rough spots in the aluminum save for a sharp corner at the cutout for the stylus. I believe that the aluminum is anodized, and so the color seems very durable and resistant to normal wear. The phone has no problem fitting inside the case, and even with a SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector, the front piece slides over without issue. There are slightly thick strips of tape that act as bumpers to prevent the case from scratching up the bezel of the phone.

The cutouts, while executed well enough, did not seem to be thought out well and are the source of my complaints. The cutout for the headphones is rectangular, which was weird off the bat. With the phone seated, the plug is lined up with an edge of the cutout, making it impossible to plug in the factory headphones, which already has a very thin plug. The cutout for the micro USB port barely allows the factory USB cable to be plugged in. There is some play with the thick strips of tape, so the phone can be manipulated to allow the plug to fit, but it is forced to sit at an angle. Given how thin the factory USB plug housing is, no other USB cable I've tried will fit properly. The button cutouts are generous at least, and do not hinder normal use very much.

I should note that the ridges on the side of the case do not provide any added grip to the phone, and in fact have made the phone feel more slippery in my hand and when trying to retrieve it from my pocket.

-------------------------------------------------------

The next one I tried was branded "Zomgo" and was ordered from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140878326463?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

T26Wu1XeJaXXXXXXXX_!!118581324.jpg

IMG_7191-2.jpg

IMG_7193-2.jpg

IMG_7200-2.jpg

IMG_7196-2.jpg

IMG_7198-2.jpg

Again, this case appeared to be very well finished. There don't seem to be any flaws in the machining or anodizing. The interior of the case has thicker foam strips, which appear to be much more substantial than the first case. Because of this, the phone fits very snug in the case, and also has a bit more play if forced to move inside the case.

The cutouts in the case again are well executed, but not well thought out. The headphone jack cutout is round, and was the only cutout (aside from the microphone cutouts) that worked properly using the factory headphones. The main problem is the USB port cutout. Although it appears to have a more generous cutout than the previous case, the plug cannot fit properly without manipulating the phone inside the case. The foam provides play and the plug can be forced in, but it also sits at an angle like the first case. Although in both cases, the plug can fully seat this way, it does not seem ideal and may damage the plug or port. That said, both cases will most likely not work at all with any other USB plugs that have thicker housings than the factory one. The cutouts for the buttons are smaller and deeper than the first case, causing more difficulty in accessing the buttons.

It should be noted that both of these cases offer no type of rear protection when laying the phone on the table. Most of the back cover actually sits further out than the edge of the case, and so I've gotten in the habit of laying the phone face down to take advantage of the lip on the front.

I will attempt to fix the second case by removing the thicker foam strips and replacing it with something thinner like the tape inside the first case or similar (possibly electrical tape). Hopefully this will allow the phone to be positioned inside the case where the USB port lines up properly with the case cutout.
    I recently took a gamble on the ZOMGO case myself. I figured it's got to be better than my EBAY bumper and I have a Dremel if I need it. I was pleasantly surprised when I put it on and the OEM charger fit in perfectly... I mean it's not snug or loose, it's perfect. I don't have pic of the charger plugged in but you should be able to see in the pics below. Might be the setup I have too.

Here are some pics to show my setup which works great. MIME SP, ZOMGO gunmetal bumper, Anker battery, Gunmetal Carbon Fiber Look 3M Vinyl, Spiegen Home Button.
    Sorry for the huge pictures... :(
    topside_zpsb0c90b1a.jpg

volumesidw_zps384d975e.jpg

Powerside_zps9fe4e03d.jpg

Front_zps0890786c.jpg

frontover_zpsa6c3886f.jpg

Bottomside_zps5cf21f5a.jpg

back_zps14fdc540.jpg
    I got this simply stunning bumper case for my S3. combined with the custom battery back its amazing.

its 2 part and 4 "screws" hold it together. I am not a fan of the "look" of these slide together ones. has anyone see a case like this

but for the Note II ?
    Thank you all for the compliments and for reading. I've since tried to modify the Zomgo case with electrical tape to no avail. Leaving enough tape to allow the USB cable to be plugged in allows the phone to move around inside the case; adding too much tape brought me back to square one. I've abandoned both cases as I enjoy charging my phone and using my headphones too much without having to mess around with a case.

Looks like the search goes on for a minimalistic case.

Did you notice any signal loss issues with either bumper?

I do notice with each case I lose about a bar of signal.

I got this simply stunning bumper case for my S3. combined with the custom battery back its amazing.

its 2 part and 4 "screws" hold it together. I am not a fan of the "look" of these slide together ones. has anyone see a case like this

but for the Note II ?

I really liked that type of case and had wanted to buy one when I had my GS3. I've not been able to find a similar one for the Note 2,
    This one also looks very good. There's a version for the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S4 - if only there was one for the Note 2.

Do a google search for draco case note 2 ;)

Send from my GN2