[Q] [HELP] AT&T Galaxy S4 I337 Network Unlock

Search This thread

blurbzilla

Nov 9, 2013
Can someone give clear instructions on how to Network unlock my completely stock Galaxy S4 I337? I've read all sorts of different methods and none of them have worked. So far, I have tried (unsuccessfully) the following:

- Using the *#27663368378# method, does not do anything
- Using the *#0011# method, does not take me to the UMTS menu
- Using the *#9090# method, does not take me to the UMTS menu
- Using the *#*#197328640#*#* method, takes me to the DEBUG SCREEN in the UMTS menu but Option 6 (PHONE CONTROL) is not there
- Using 'Samsung Service Mode' app method (google search for "samservicemode" it's the first XDA link), takes me to the DEBUG SCREEN in the UMTS menu but Option 6 (PHONE CONTROL) is not there

One thread I saw mentioned that the modem / modem drivers have something to do with the menu options not being there but didn't offer much else.

Is there a tried and true proven method to Network unlock an AT&T 32GB Galaxy S4 I337? My phone's basic info is attached.

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
Can someone give clear instructions on how to Network unlock my completely stock Galaxy S4 I337? I've read all sorts of different methods and none of them have worked. So far, I have tried (unsuccessfully) the following:

- Using the *#27663368378# method, does not do anything
- Using the *#0011# method, does not take me to the UMTS menu
- Using the *#9090# method, does not take me to the UMTS menu
- Using the *#*#197328640#*#* method, takes me to the DEBUG SCREEN in the UMTS menu but Option 6 (PHONE CONTROL) is not there
- Using 'Samsung Service Mode' app method (google search for "samservicemode" it's the first XDA link), takes me to the DEBUG SCREEN in the UMTS menu but Option 6 (PHONE CONTROL) is not there

One thread I saw mentioned that the modem / modem drivers have something to do with the menu options not being there but didn't offer much else.

Is there a tried and true proven method to Network unlock an AT&T 32GB Galaxy S4 I337? My phone's basic info is attached.

Check this thread out.....http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48961319&postcount=3 work for me right away..........as long as u have Root access ( Jortex or Kingo ) both seem worked and install Regionlockaway app from OP.....then reboot.....I tested by switched to T-Mobile SIM CARD .....in and out going call worked.....mms also work.....:good:

Last edited:

hiltun

Jan 9, 2011
I have had the same problem.
I have not found a way to sim unlock my phone.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
The easiest way is to call AT&T and tell them that you will be traveling in Europe and need your phone unlocked. AT&T is generally willing to provide an unlock code in this situation.

If you wish to unlock it yourself, have a look at my post that gives you options when the necessary Samsung menu item appears to be missing. It's not usually missing.. just moved to a different sub menu: How to unlock..

urtruelove78

May 8, 2011
I tried following steps and my at&t phone is unlocked. Tried with T-mobile sim as well as international sim.

Possible method to SIM unlock on MK2 *must be rooted*

1. Rooted my s4 on MF3 using following method.
New Root Method for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 (OTA MF3 + Safe update to MK2)

HOWTO:
Use a card reader to format the micro SD card to exFAT (FAT32 or other formats does not work) in Windows. I haven't tried Linux or MacOS X, so they may not work.
Download the attached file (Root_for_ATTSG4_FM3.rar) and extract it into the root of your EXTERNAL microSD card using the card reader in Windows. (You can do the extraction using WinRAR or 7-zip).
Put the SD card back to the phone and download the Android Terminal Emulator app.
Open the Terminal Emulator app and run below 3 commands:
Code:
cd /mnt/extSdCard
./pwn
./script.sh
Then, open SuperSU and check everything looks good.
Then open a root app and it should be working properly.
Reboot your device once to confirm root is still working after reboot.
Come back to the post and press the THANKS button

2. Install Recovery using following method. Follow MF3 saferoot method
[RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71 [2013-12-27 EXFAT Fix]

FOR USERS OF MF3 (TW4.2):
LATEST FILE: Safestrap-JFLTEATT-3.65.apk (updated 2013-11-15)
Main XDA Downloads Page
Mirror 1 (Goo.im): http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/jflteatt/safestrap

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
Requirement: Root
Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
Download the Safestrap APK
Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
(If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

3. Unlocked using following thread. I used method-2 (I flashed modems using safestrap recovery instead of odin)

Method 2 (posted by muniz_ri)
Alternatively, I337 owners can flash the MDL modem via Odin to re-gain access to the hidden menu(links to signed, odin flashable modems below) then follow the guide in the OP to unlock your phone. Once completed you can re-flash the MK2 modem. I tested this process on my own stock i337 running stock MK2 and it works but follow at your own risk. Also, my knox warranty flag has been tripped for a long time so I don't know if flashing the MDL modem will trip the flag or not. Someone else can chime in on that. Cheers:

MDL Modem: https://mega.co.nz/#!wpUUXQCS!Aws3S1...BTVaEvIzcd3t6M

MK2 Modem: https://mega.co.nz/#!pwESna5I!YK7EKG...9t2EdMK9ofgJKg

To finish this method go to this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2285431

*muniz_ri has stated he is not sure whether this will trip KNOX or not*

Thanks to RockRatt and deadlysin9 for letting me know it was safe to just flash modems while on MK2 rooted[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: laofan and gottech

laofan

Oct 27, 2011
Virginia Beach
I tried following steps and my at&t phone is unlocked. Tried with T-mobile sim as well as international sim.

3. Unlocked using following thread. I used method-2 (I flashed modems using safestrap recovery instead of odin)

Thanks to RockRatt and deadlysin9 for letting me know it was safe to just flash modems while on MK2 rooted
[/QUOTE]

Confirmed working on MK2 i337

mbison83

Feb 8, 2011
Los Angeles
The easiest way is to call AT&T and tell them that you will be traveling in Europe and need your phone unlocked. AT&T is generally willing to provide an unlock code in this situation.

If you wish to unlock it yourself, have a look at my post that gives you options when the necessary Samsung menu item appears to be missing. It's not usually missing.. just moved to a different sub menu: How to unlock..

Called at&t today and they are asking for account number which I do not have. What now?

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Called at&t today and they are asking for account number which I do not have. What now?

If you don't have an account with at&t they are not going to give you a code. Either try the free unlock or buy a code.

Just a heads up on the free unlock, generally if you try it too many times you will be permanently unable to unlock. So if it doesn't work the first couple of times give up

Sent from my Nexus 5

Last edited:

mbison83

Feb 8, 2011
Los Angeles
If you don't have an account with at&t they are not going to give you a code. Either try the free unlock or buy a code.

Just a heads up on the free unlock, generally if you try it too many times you will be permanently unable to unlock. So if it doesn't work the first couple of times give up

Sent from my Nexus 5

The free way does not work for me as I am not able to access the Phone Control feature (possibly because of the 4.4.2 OS which I have heard has some features to prevent users from unlocking a device).

I am having the previous owner and at&t customer to call and request the code. Will know whether they will release the code in 48 hours.

If that doesn't work I will have to buy a code. Any recommendations?

waiters

Nov 9, 2011
I have used cellunlocker.net many times and couldn't be happier (except for the price lol)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Godiegogo

Apr 27, 2014
Help

I have a smiler problem but not the same I accidentally hit the option 1 debug screen in the service mode on the the same device (s4)active and it cleared the entire menu and now it won't read any sim and there is no mobile network to be found and all I get is a circle with a line in it . Any help would be greatly appreciated

helijersey

Jun 19, 2012
Rooted(Kingo root). Unlocked using Regional lock away. Popped in a Verizon sim that is currently active. But no signal. I am only getting signal strength. But the good part is that i am not getting the sim unlock anymore. Basically telling me its unlocked.

Now i am trying to get service. I can't even connect to 611. Not sure if i have to flash the radio. Or add to my Verizon acct via imei #

Please help!

Sent from my Portable

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Rooted(Kingo root). Unlocked using Regional lock away. Popped in a Verizon sim that is currently active. But no signal. I am only getting signal strength. But the good part is that i am not getting the sim unlock anymore. Basically telling me its unlocked.

Now i am trying to get service. I can't even connect to 611. Not sure if i have to flash the radio. Or add to my Verizon acct via imei #

Please help!

Sent from my Portable

Most likely you have an apn issue. Check your apn and make sure it's correct for Verizon

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

helijersey

Jun 19, 2012
Ty! JD1639 i got the apn setting and created a new apn saved. But never saved, tried twice. Is there something i am missing?

Sent from my Portable

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Ty! JD1639 i got the apn setting and created a new apn saved. But never saved, tried twice. Is there something i am missing?

Sent from my Portable

It's been awhile since I edited a vpn but I remember I had the same issue. After you edited a line did you save it? There are three dots in the upper right hand corner of the phone, press them. The save option is in there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

HOWTO:
    Use a card reader to format the micro SD card to exFAT (FAT32 or other formats does not work) in Windows. I haven't tried Linux or MacOS X, so they may not work.
    Download the attached file (Root_for_ATTSG4_FM3.rar) and extract it into the root of your EXTERNAL microSD card using the card reader in Windows. (You can do the extraction using WinRAR or 7-zip).
    Put the SD card back to the phone and download the Android Terminal Emulator app.
    Open the Terminal Emulator app and run below 3 commands:
    Code:
    cd /mnt/extSdCard
    ./pwn
    ./script.sh
    Then, open SuperSU and check everything looks good.
    Then open a root app and it should be working properly.
    Reboot your device once to confirm root is still working after reboot.
    Come back to the post and press the THANKS button

FOR USERS OF MF3 (TW4.2):
    LATEST FILE: Safestrap-JFLTEATT-3.65.apk (updated 2013-11-15)
    Main XDA Downloads Page
    Mirror 1 (Goo.im): http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/jflteatt/safestrap

HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
    Requirement: Root
    Requirement: Allow APK install from Unknown Sources
    Download the Safestrap APK
    Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
    (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
    Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
    Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
    Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
    From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
    That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x

Method 2 (posted by muniz_ri)
    Alternatively, I337 owners can flash the MDL modem via Odin to re-gain access to the hidden menu(links to signed, odin flashable modems below) then follow the guide in the OP to unlock your phone. Once completed you can re-flash the MK2 modem. I tested this process on my own stock i337 running stock MK2 and it works but follow at your own risk. Also, my knox warranty flag has been tripped for a long time so I don't know if flashing the MDL modem will trip the flag or not. Someone else can chime in on that. Cheers:

MDL Modem: https://mega.co.nz/#!wpUUXQCS!Aws3S1...BTVaEvIzcd3t6M

MK2 Modem: https://mega.co.nz/#!pwESna5I!YK7EKG...9t2EdMK9ofgJKg

Thanks to RockRatt and deadlysin9 for letting me know it was safe to just flash modems while on MK2 rooted[/QUOTE]