[Q] Toshiba AC100 and Android Market

Search This thread

pipposanta

Aug 16, 2009
Hi,
I own a toshiba ac100-10d which is the model with only wifi (no 3g) and android 2.1, which unfortunately comes with no android market preinstalled. I tried to install one using one of the many packages which you can found online. The problem comes, when I try to login in my gmail account. It says "can't extablish a reliable data connection" and it doesn't login into the account. If I try to login via youtube it creates the account but it doesn't sync it. I have moderate experience with android so you can easily tell me what I have to do. Do you think it would be possible to install the market on this ac100?

Thanks to anyone who will help me!

kordiak

Aug 14, 2010
Hi,
I own a toshiba ac100-10d which is the model with only wifi (no 3g) and android 2.1, which unfortunately comes with no android market preinstalled. I tried to install one using one of the many packages which you can found online. The problem comes, when I try to login in my gmail account. It says "can't extablish a reliable data connection" and it doesn't login into the account. If I try to login via youtube it creates the account but it doesn't sync it. I have moderate experience with android so you can easily tell me what I have to do. Do you think it would be possible to install the market on this ac100?

Thanks to anyone who will help me!

It would be possible if I can get him into recovery menu. Just working on it as if it could still do that I have uploaded some files to the inside. Root can be done by z4Root 1.3.0.apk. Can be downloaded here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=834428

nai1sirk

Jun 5, 2010
I've made some headway

I have installed some files from cyanogenmods tegra compiled gapps + a newer vending.apk(Market) and a diffrent Google Talk app.

I had the same problem you have, but this suddently resolved itself for reasons unknown:p

Gmail Works and syncs
Google Maps works
Market starts and is stable without forced close, but I can't download apps, and I get Google Talk Authentication errors wich I belive are related to the market issue (the error also appears without the talk.apk installed)
I've got a new talk.apk from a samsung galaxy s, but it will not complete the sign in process

I feel I am really close to cracking this one, but I'm really stuck.

If anyone is interested, I can post which apk files I've installed in the /system/app folder.

nai1sirk

Jun 5, 2010
Oh, I forgot to say:
I've got the same 10d version without 3g, but mine runs the updated Android 2.2

tharf

Mar 15, 2008
So it appears that sometimes market init it works, sometimes not ... Strange

I played and did many factory resets to find the right way and now it works :D (triple checked!)
I have a ac100-114 (French, no 3g), with android 2.2 and rooted with z4root.
(For anyone playing with adb : before doing anything, make backups with the tegra tools, and be careful with this powerful tool!)

I also used a package from cyanogenmod : the gApps from tegra. (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Gapps#Google_Apps)

I looked into gAppsInstaller (here:
http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps-installer/downloads/list and here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=867303) to find what are the mandatory apps to install from the gApps cm package:

Into /system/app/
GenieWidget
GoogleBackupTransport
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter
GoogleFeedback
GoogleServicesFramework
MarketUpdater
MediaUploader
NetworkLocation
Talk
Vending
Youtube *

Into /system/framework/
com.google.android.maps.jar

Into /system/lib/
libspeech.so
libvoicesearch.so

Into /system/etc/permissions/
features.xml
com.google.android.maps.xml

* I had to replace Youtube.apk (in attachment) : I don't know why, but the one from cm is not working and prevent, even without launching it, the login into the market. I retrieved it from my hd2 running android ;-)
Installing maps in /system/app prevents Market initialization.

Then I did a factory reset, followed by the Toshiba first init and wifi configuration.

Now start the Market : nothing else or you might have to factory reset to start over!
Enter a random username (very important!), a random password and click next.
The market should start checking and then tell you the login is wrong : good, it connected !
Now click back, then enter your google account and click next : the Market should accept it and show the license page.
Accept it, the market should appear a few seconds before foreclosing. Launch it again, it will forceclose again.

The third launch should be the right one ! :)

You will get forcecloses right after each app installation, but nothing to worry about : the app stays and appears in the download section of the market :D
Gmail can be installed from the market. ;)
Your contacts should be synchronized, Talk and Youtube should work.

Problems:
For maps you will have to get the apk somewhere else.
The calendar is missing. :(

Attachments

• YouTube.apk
    814.5 KB · Views: 1,078
Last edited:

Daniel.Stevens

Dec 10, 2010
Bochum
@tharf

Your method works perfectly .. Thx for that. Only problem is that the service framework starts some kind of messaging service and that wakes the ac100 from standby every couple minutes.... I tried fixing that but couldn´t do it... ;0(

So this fix is kind auseless for me...

But keep up the good work... ;0)

lom4x

Apr 18, 2010
FC reason is a
Code:
E/DatabaseUtils( 1547): java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: writing com.google.android.gsf.settings.GoogleSettingsProvider uri content://com.google.settings/partner from pid=10019, uid=10069 requires com.google.android.providers.settings.permission.WRITE_GSETTINGS
for com.android.vending.
Does anyone has an idea how to fix android permissions, as it recreates /data/system/packages.xml if i change it?

tharf

Mar 15, 2008
Thanks for pointing out where is the FC cause !
I did some more tests, and it seems that if the packages.xml gets modified, followed by sync (just in case, I don't know anything about caching on the ac100), and then a kill -9 -1 is executed, the added permission stays, even if the packages.xml gets scrambled after reboot :)
For me it works : no more FCs :)

I found another thing : in order to see apps in the market that asks for the gps (maps, catch notes ...), just had this line to /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.location.xml, in the <permissions> tag :

<feature name="android.hardware.location.gps" />

(Make a backup of the file first ;))

So the bottom part of the file should look like :

<permissions>
<feature name="android.hardware.location" />
<feature name="android.hardware.location.network" />
</permissions>

But in order to get it working, you will need to login to the market for the first time, so a factory reset is required :(

Last edited:
Reactions: lom4x

parlan

Aug 11, 2010
hey, sorry for the dumb question..

i´ve downloade z4root and clicked on temporarly root...after a few
secs the progress ran through and the ac100 rebooted.
now i tried to install the gAppsInstaller v5 for arcors but got the error message, that no files were copied.
how did you do this?
can you please poste a howto for dummies q.q?

you wrote"
Then I did a factory reset, followed by the Toshiba first init and wifi configuration.

Now start the Market : nothing else or you might have to factory reset to start over!"

didnt you install the googlemarket after the reset, did it remain :O?

andrewbecks

Mar 21, 2011
Hi,

Good job at first for trying this amazing way to install gapps into Ac100.

In my experience, that method worked well, but it seems, after pushing the mandatory apk files to the system partition, and factory resetting, in the Toshiba device initiation settings, turning on wifi will keep the Google account settings connection from working.

I've been trying many times, only turning on wifi when google login process begins will work.

No idea why that happens.

Regards.

parlan

Aug 11, 2010
hey gus,

i´ve come this far :D
ehhm..the files you mentionend.. i have copied them into the right folders, but the won´t get installed, i get parsing errors..

can someone please upload the working files?
working apps:

maps.apk
youtube.apk

Attachments

• sc201103262032080.jpg
    sc201103262032080.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 384

kubino99

Apr 14, 2008
market on toshiba AC100

Hi Guys

I can confirm that google market is possible on AC100. Also Gmail, Talk and Maps is working fine :

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 4,001
  • screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,946
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 3,888

valleyman

Jan 6, 2008
Can anyone please post a guide to get gApps working? (Gmail / Vending) Maps works standalone, but as far as i can see, the others need something!
Like a user above, i can't root my ac-100, it freezes and restart. If it's not rooted, i can't access the folders tharf was talking about in a previous post.

Thanks

valleyman

Jan 6, 2008
Ok, i've managed to solve somethings (hopefully everything)

Unfortunately to root my AC100, i used ADB (I installed SuperOneClick in a previous try, don't know if it helped or not).
ADB is a tool developed inside Android project, that allows developers to test their apps directly on their phones, rather than an emulator. There are plenty of tutorial to get it started, just google it! It's not easy at first, but was the only thing allowed me to copy the files.
For those familiar with this development tool, just plug the device (ac100) in and execute

"adb remount"

in a "cmd" shell (i worked under windows). it magically remounts your system partition in RW, instead of default RO. This way you can "adb push" the files tharf listed in his first post!

Next, follow his indications:
-factory reset (HOME button+POWER button), follow the system reset, press 1 to continue, wait a few minutes and it will reboot on his own, give it time.
-configure ac100, like the first time
-connect it to wifi
-open Market App (you'll find it on the Toshiba Home menu, in the end)
-connect with random user, let it fail the authentication, the use a real one, and you're good to go!

I installed a few apps, so far so good. Only thing to keep in mind: Market launches an error after installing an app. No worries, it's fine: just press OK and go on.

I was interested in Gmail app, so i "adb push"ed it from the beginning, and it worked at first try. Same for Talk, Contacts, Youtube and Maps (find the apk, it's not hard :p)

Thanks to all, hope this could help.

Dimitrico

Jun 7, 2009
Toshiba AC100

I've afforded this laptop two days and so far where i updated and hadded
the portuguese language, but when i when in settings->language it simples does not exist.
I dont have anything against english, but i need at least the ortography.

I could use spannish but i rather have english

loverppc

Apr 2, 2011
Every time I run market/gtalk,I get this Message:

"Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. If it continues, call Customer Care."

MAD-HS

Apr 2, 2011
Thnx a lot - got Market, Gmail, Maps, ... working too. Have only tested it for some minutes - but hope it will work forever ;)

Very good especially as the Toshiba AC100 10V with UMTS is now really cheap here.

Still have the Market problem with crash after install/deinstall of an app.

Last edited:

MAD-HS

Apr 2, 2011
I tried to get rid of the market crash. So I did the following:

adb shell connect to /data/system after root

chmod 777 packages.xml
sync
kill -9 -1

But that didn't work I still get the crashes. Can you help me with more details what you mean with 'the added permission stays'?

Thanx in advance.

Bereguev

Apr 3, 2011
Firmware from the Russian community users of the AC100 Toshiba (android 2.2) All Google applications work fine(Market+Gmail+Tack)!

Different from the standard:
1. Root
2. Busybox 1.19
3. Google Apps, including the latest market (by 116(Toshiba AC 100-116- russian 3G+Wi-Fi+32Gb model) runs without any problems), SetupWizard works too
4. Jorte - perfect replacement calendar from Google, beautiful, seeing all the calendars
5. Ad Blocking
6. Titanium Backup
7. Terminal Emulator
8. New splash screen
9. Spare Parts
10. Easy selection of widgets

Installation in Windows:
1. Download the firmware
2. Unpack
3. Translating the device in boot mode (turn off, esc + control + power)
4. Install the driver from the archive
5. Run bat file from the archive (ac100flash.cmd)
6. We are waiting for the end of the loading and turning off the device while holding the button 10 seconds
7. Turn device, answer all the questions for 116 checking in via 3G.
8. Enjoy.
Torrent: ****://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3498125
Firmware+drivers ****://narod.ru/disk/8503508001/ac100_flash.rar.html
Firmware(update) ****://narod.ru/disk/8819504001/ac100flash_v2.rar.html

Спасибо форуму ****://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=226289&st=40#entry7000473

Last edited:
Reactions: M4XonXD4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So it appears that sometimes market init it works, sometimes not ... Strange

I played and did many factory resets to find the right way and now it works :D (triple checked!)
    I have a ac100-114 (French, no 3g), with android 2.2 and rooted with z4root.
    (For anyone playing with adb : before doing anything, make backups with the tegra tools, and be careful with this powerful tool!)

I also used a package from cyanogenmod : the gApps from tegra. (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Gapps#Google_Apps)

I looked into gAppsInstaller (here:
    http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps-installer/downloads/list and here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=867303) to find what are the mandatory apps to install from the gApps cm package:

Into /system/app/
    GenieWidget
    GoogleBackupTransport
    GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter
    GoogleFeedback
    GoogleServicesFramework
    MarketUpdater
    MediaUploader
    NetworkLocation
    Talk
    Vending
    Youtube *

Into /system/framework/
    com.google.android.maps.jar

Into /system/lib/
    libspeech.so
    libvoicesearch.so

Into /system/etc/permissions/
    features.xml
    com.google.android.maps.xml

* I had to replace Youtube.apk (in attachment) : I don't know why, but the one from cm is not working and prevent, even without launching it, the login into the market. I retrieved it from my hd2 running android ;-)
    Installing maps in /system/app prevents Market initialization.

Now start the Market : nothing else or you might have to factory reset to start over!
    Enter a random username (very important!), a random password and click next.
    The market should start checking and then tell you the login is wrong : good, it connected !
    Now click back, then enter your google account and click next : the Market should accept it and show the license page.
    Accept it, the market should appear a few seconds before foreclosing. Launch it again, it will forceclose again.

The third launch should be the right one ! :)

You will get forcecloses right after each app installation, but nothing to worry about : the app stays and appears in the download section of the market :D
    Gmail can be installed from the market. ;)
    Your contacts should be synchronized, Talk and Youtube should work.

Problems:
    For maps you will have to get the apk somewhere else.
    The calendar is missing. :(
    Hi, All!

Some answers :)

1. Differences between all models are size of memory and radio interfaces. I've made two versions because of different memory sizes (custom kernels doesn't work without it). If you have 8gigs - use 117 version, 32gigs - 116.
    2. ROM already have bluetooth gps provider.
    3. bl=bootlog for linux lovers :)
    Thanks for pointing out where is the FC cause !
    I did some more tests, and it seems that if the packages.xml gets modified, followed by sync (just in case, I don't know anything about caching on the ac100), and then a kill -9 -1 is executed, the added permission stays, even if the packages.xml gets scrambled after reboot :)
    For me it works : no more FCs :)

I found another thing : in order to see apps in the market that asks for the gps (maps, catch notes ...), just had this line to /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.location.xml, in the <permissions> tag :

(Make a backup of the file first ;))

So the bottom part of the file should look like :

<permissions>
    <feature name="android.hardware.location" />
    <feature name="android.hardware.location.network" />
    </permissions>

But in order to get it working, you will need to login to the market for the first time, so a factory reset is required :(
    Firmware from the Russian community users of the AC100 Toshiba (android 2.2) All Google applications work fine(Market+Gmail+Tack)!

Different from the standard:
    1. Root
    2. Busybox 1.19
    3. Google Apps, including the latest market (by 116(Toshiba AC 100-116- russian 3G+Wi-Fi+32Gb model) runs without any problems), SetupWizard works too
    4. Jorte - perfect replacement calendar from Google, beautiful, seeing all the calendars
    5. Ad Blocking
    6. Titanium Backup
    7. Terminal Emulator
    8. New splash screen
    9. Spare Parts
    10. Easy selection of widgets

Installation in Windows:
    1. Download the firmware
    2. Unpack
    3. Translating the device in boot mode (turn off, esc + control + power)
    4. Install the driver from the archive
    5. Run bat file from the archive (ac100flash.cmd)
    6. We are waiting for the end of the loading and turning off the device while holding the button 10 seconds
    7. Turn device, answer all the questions for 116 checking in via 3G.
    8. Enjoy.
    Torrent: ****://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3498125
    Firmware+drivers ****://narod.ru/disk/8503508001/ac100_flash.rar.html
    Firmware(update) ****://narod.ru/disk/8819504001/ac100flash_v2.rar.html

Спасибо форуму ****://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=226289&st=40#entry7000473
    Skype on Toshiba AC100

hello,
    It is possible to use webcam with the last version of skype ?

ONLY with Android 3.
    You need almost Android 2.3

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Hi, I'm going to buy AC100 NO3G... can you tell me if it supports any 3G USB dongle? If yes, can you say which internet keys?
    Thank you very much

3G modem only with alternative ROM like "aComb100 v0.4 Honeycomb 3.0.1"
    But never tried.
    In features you can read:
    "- 3G modems (usb or internal) start automatically;"