[GUIDE] How to UNBRICK your Optimus G - security error, bootloop etc

Search This thread

potatohead

Feb 15, 2006
For whatever reasons (improper rooting/flashing, power outage during updating, freezing/removal of LG bloatwares or simple bad luck etc), if you bricked your Optimus G and is stuck with a Security Error or in a bootloop, fear not, as long as you can put it into Download and Recovery Mode, all is not lost.

I got the korean version of the (almost) Optimus G (Optimus LTE2, f160k) and ran into the same security error problem that happened out of the blue.

The steps that I undertook below resolved the problem for me and has been proven to work on Optimus G by fellow members.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34516791&postcount=29

1) Download the latest KDZ from LG's server for your phone via the app below (kudos to the creator)

http://www.mediafire.com/?cgeb6o5osy2yl9c

2) Make sure you have LG United Drivers already installed, otherwise download from below

http://www.mediafire.com/?82nt1aeh04aqa3m

3) Download LG KDZ Updater

http://www.mediafire.com/?sj5y073xal03ntw

4) Download the manual adb wipe batch file

http://www.mediafire.com/?ru7erfxsz7p7s3p

5) Put your Optimus G into Download Mode by switching it off, attaching the usb cable to the phone, holding both the up and down volume buttons at the same time and lastly inserting the usb cable into the computer; wait for the drivers to finish loading if doing it for the first time.

6) Unzip the downloaded updater zip file and run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe. Use the settings below

Type: 3GQCT
Phone Mode: CS_Emergency
KDZ file: navigate to the folder which you have saved the downloaded KDZ from the step (1)

Click Launch Software Update and wait for the flash process to finish

7) Your phone will restart itself when IParam = 90 is displayed and proceed slower until you see IParam=1 again (which signals the end of flash, you can safely exit the program then and remove the cable from the phone). If phone boots up normally, congrats, skip the steps below and proceed to use the phone as per normal.

However, this most probably will not be the case for newer Optimus-es, as the data partition somehow wasn't wiped even when KDZ-ed, remaining 'dirty', thus causing bootloop or security infringement.

8) If the phone is stuck at the booting up LG/Telco logo, you will need to manually wipe the data partition.

9) Force the phone off by holding the power button for appx 15secs.

10) Put the phone into recovery mode by holding the volume up and home button concurrently, then press the power button. Let go of all the buttons after you see the LG logo on screen for the 2nd time and the screen goes blank thereafter (backlight may still be on). The phone will kind of reboot and then enters recovery mode. Repeat the process if you did not get it the first time.

11) With the phone in Recovery Mode, connect it to the computer, wait for the drivers to load (if doing it for the first time), unzip the wipe batch file downloaded earlier from step (4), double click on wipe.bat to execute the wipe command.

12) Your phone will auto reboot when wiped and (hopefully) boot as per normal.

Hope with this simple guide fellow members will feel safer when rooting or removing non essential LG wares from their Optimus G.

:)

chadouming

Aug 27, 2009
On the interwebz
Tried this, however the phone get stuck on a bootloop. It's stuck on bootanimation. I also tried to clear data with the adb wipe files but i end up with a phone stuck on that
IMAG0007.jpg
image.

razrgalaxy

Nov 27, 2012
Bell E973

I have E973 from Bell and it's been bricked since sunday after renaming couple of system apps.
I am trying to follow the instruction above but i can't download KDZ file with LG firmware downloader bc it just would not take my SN.
Error msg is "unsuccessful in connecting to server orphone infomations is wrong!"
Could anyone upload KDZ file for Bell E973 somewhere on the net that i can download?

It would be much appreciated..

thracky

Apr 23, 2008
Mississauga
I have E973 from Bell and it's been bricked since sunday after renaming couple of system apps.
I am trying to follow the instruction above but i can't download KDZ file with LG firmware downloader bc it just would not take my SN.
Error msg is "unsuccessful in connecting to server orphone infomations is wrong!"
Could anyone upload KDZ file for Bell E973 somewhere on the net that i can download?

Go here, replacing <yourimei> with your actual imei (just numbers, nothing else), it'll spit out a bunch of text including an address with the kdz.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=<yourimei>

thracky

Apr 23, 2008
Mississauga
Thanks thracky for quick response.

but it is just stck at blank window..

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Tried it on Chrome but no address with KDZ.

Don't include the <> characters with your imei, I just put those there to mark where the IMEI goes :p

Also, your IMEI should be 15 digits, and I've only used this on my computer, so I'm not sure if it works on mobile browser or not, and if that's how you're trying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: aceman67

potatohead

Feb 15, 2006

2nd thracky's view.

would recommend u do it on the PC, use the app, enter your model E973, enter your imei (15 digits, usually means omitting the the last 0 or digit), shd be able to download your KDZ.

Reactions: A-L31 and Misudoll

potatohead

Feb 15, 2006
Tried this, however the phone get stuck on a bootloop. It's stuck on bootanimation. I also tried to clear data with the adb wipe files but i end up with a phone stuck on that .

did u wipe in recovery mode?

can you put your phone into download mode again?

if yes, try the whole process again?

as long as your phone can still enter download mode, all is not lost, even if this method does not work,

good luck!

Last edited:

thracky

Apr 23, 2008
Mississauga
did u wipe in recovery mode?

can you put your phone into download mode again?

if yes, try the whole process again?

as long as your phone can still enter download mode, all is not lost, even if this method does not work,

good luck!

He couldn't get into recovery at all, that image he posted was what happened going into recovery.

I think he mangled his partition table, and I feel like KDZ wouldn't necessarily repartition everything based on my experience with tools for other phones like Odin for Samsung phones, where you explicitly have to tell it to repartition and give it a file to dictate the layout.

Reactions: potatohead

potatohead

Feb 15, 2006
He couldn't get into recovery at all, that image he posted was what happened going into recovery.

I think he mangled his partition table, and I feel like KDZ wouldn't necessarily repartition everything based on my experience with tools for other phones like Odin for Samsung phones, where you explicitly have to tell it to repartition and give it a file to dictate the layout.

learned something new, thanks :)

KDZ-ing of LG's phones of late seem to be not as 'thorough' as previous, it used to be the be all and end all; or maybe i didnt mangle my phone bad enough :p

has he tried upgrading via LG's update tool instead?

he may need to KDZ an older version first (if available) so LG tool can sense an upgrade is necessary, and hopefully, it is intelligent enough to repartition if one is necessary.

also, LG's update tool has in-built recovery/repair option, not sure how that works though, worth to explore?

thracky

Apr 23, 2008
Mississauga
learned something new, thanks :)

KDZ-ing of LG's phones of late seem to be not as 'thorough' as previous, it used to be the be all and end all; or maybe i didnt mangle my phone bad enough :p

has he tried upgrading via LG's update tool instead?

he may need to KDZ an older version first (if available) so LG tool can sense an upgrade is necessary, and hopefully, it is intelligent enough to repartition if one is necessary.

also, LG's update tool has in-built recovery/repair option, not sure how that works though, worth to explore?

Yep update tool was tried, recovery wouldn't work either. He wound up exchanging the phone anyways :D

Misudoll

May 17, 2012
Beijing
wish to know if there are any other ways to get the kdz?

I've asked some L-01E onwers, they replied that normal ways do not work japan version

look for help THX

waldo36

Dec 1, 2012
Question for Sprint

6) Unzip the downloaded updater zip file and run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe. Use the settings below

KDZ file: navigate to the folder which you have saved the downloaded KDZ from the step (1)

Question, on the Sprint version of this phone, would the type be CDMA?

Also, do you think anything else would be different?

*edit* Also, when I try to download the KDZ file, it is instead a .CAB file that has an .wdb, .wdh, and a .dll file inside.

Am I supposed to rename it? convert it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

autotelic

Dec 7, 2010
I wouldn't work for me until I added 1 more step

First of all, thanks again to the poster and xda in general...y'all freakin rule.

I couldn't get this to work for the longest time, though I knew that these valuable instructions were the key to fixing my device.

The difference between total failure and absolute success for me was making sure to run "msxml.msi" in the KDZ updater before running "KDZ_FW_UPD.exe"

If you're stuck, try that!!!

Thanks once again for helping me fix my device!

Reactions: gabby131

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For whatever reasons (improper rooting/flashing, power outage during updating, freezing/removal of LG bloatwares or simple bad luck etc), if you bricked your Optimus G and is stuck with a Security Error or in a bootloop, fear not, as long as you can put it into Download and Recovery Mode, all is not lost.

I got the korean version of the (almost) Optimus G (Optimus LTE2, f160k) and ran into the same security error problem that happened out of the blue.

The steps that I undertook below resolved the problem for me and has been proven to work on Optimus G by fellow members.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34516791&postcount=29

1) Download the latest KDZ from LG's server for your phone via the app below (kudos to the creator)

http://www.mediafire.com/?cgeb6o5osy2yl9c

2) Make sure you have LG United Drivers already installed, otherwise download from below

http://www.mediafire.com/?82nt1aeh04aqa3m

3) Download LG KDZ Updater

http://www.mediafire.com/?sj5y073xal03ntw

4) Download the manual adb wipe batch file

http://www.mediafire.com/?ru7erfxsz7p7s3p

5) Put your Optimus G into Download Mode by switching it off, attaching the usb cable to the phone, holding both the up and down volume buttons at the same time and lastly inserting the usb cable into the computer; wait for the drivers to finish loading if doing it for the first time.

Click Launch Software Update and wait for the flash process to finish

7) Your phone will restart itself when IParam = 90 is displayed and proceed slower until you see IParam=1 again (which signals the end of flash, you can safely exit the program then and remove the cable from the phone). If phone boots up normally, congrats, skip the steps below and proceed to use the phone as per normal.

However, this most probably will not be the case for newer Optimus-es, as the data partition somehow wasn't wiped even when KDZ-ed, remaining 'dirty', thus causing bootloop or security infringement.

8) If the phone is stuck at the booting up LG/Telco logo, you will need to manually wipe the data partition.

9) Force the phone off by holding the power button for appx 15secs.

10) Put the phone into recovery mode by holding the volume up and home button concurrently, then press the power button. Let go of all the buttons after you see the LG logo on screen for the 2nd time and the screen goes blank thereafter (backlight may still be on). The phone will kind of reboot and then enters recovery mode. Repeat the process if you did not get it the first time.

11) With the phone in Recovery Mode, connect it to the computer, wait for the drivers to load (if doing it for the first time), unzip the wipe batch file downloaded earlier from step (4), double click on wipe.bat to execute the wipe command.

12) Your phone will auto reboot when wiped and (hopefully) boot as per normal.

Hope with this simple guide fellow members will feel safer when rooting or removing non essential LG wares from their Optimus G.

Ok I have figured it out. If anyone is having a similar issue here is what you do:

First follow the guide in this thread, if you are still stuck at boot logo even after the manual wipe power off your phone, hold down the power and volume down keys to enter factory reset mode and click power again to confirm a factory reset. This worked like a charm for me :)

Go here, replacing <yourimei> with your actual imei (just numbers, nothing else), it'll spit out a bunch of text including an address with the kdz.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=<yourimei>
    Thanks for your response! So this method only works for the Sprint version??

as far as i know this this methode may work for sprint/att altho i think lgnpst is better/easier but only available for sprint and att phones

the kdz method is what roger/bell/telus, korean, japan use to recover

2nd thracky's view.

would recommend u do it on the PC, use the app, enter your model E973, enter your imei (15 digits, usually means omitting the the last 0 or digit), shd be able to download your KDZ.