[GUIDE] How to UNBRICK your Optimus G - security error, bootloop etc

Search This thread

thracky

Apr 23, 2008
Mississauga

Joyok

Nov 15, 2012
Hi,

I need a little help with this. Every time try to use KDZ_FW_UPD, it gets stuck while unpacking the KDZ and the program just crashes every time. Any ideas why?

potatohead

Feb 15, 2006
after the lparam=90 reboot is the phone supposed to go back into download mode or reboot normallly?

should reboot normally, then as it reboots into the welcome and get-you-started screens, lparam will slowly count up to 100 before returning to 1 again, that is when you can safely unplug the cable.

potatohead

Feb 15, 2006
Will this work on sprint, there is no thread in sprint forums

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda premium

can you find your KDZ on LG's server via the LG app, and download it as a KDZ file?

if yes, it may work on Sprint and afaik it will not further harm your device even if it doesn't solve your problem, you can also PM thracky for more advices as mine is a GSM set.

:)

potatohead

Feb 15, 2006
Hi,

I need a little help with this. Every time try to use KDZ_FW_UPD, it gets stuck while unpacking the KDZ and the program just crashes every time. Any ideas why?

the KDZ of modern Optimus-es can be bigger than 1GB for some (carrier dependent), and thus may take a while to unpack.

also, have you tried re-downloading the KDZ? as it is a large file, the download may be bad/corrupted.

what are the specs of your computer?

have you tried on another computer?

Staz87

Dec 22, 2007
RH
So after installing the CM10.1 Canadian version for the Optimus G, I tried to restore the phone to my stock rom and it was bricked. I used this guide and everything worked.

Now I bricked my phone same way as I decided to try the new build they released of CM10.1 and thought restoring would be no problem as I have already done so a few days ago. This time everything updated and the phone rebooted, but it is stuck at LG Logo. I tried running the wipe.bat, all I see is the cmd window pop up for split second and exit, but the phone won't reboot from recovery, so I reboot manually but I am still stuck at the LG logo.

Is there a way I can fix this?

Here is the log

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19817342/log.log

Last edited:

Staz87

Dec 22, 2007
RH
Ok I have figured it out. If anyone is having a similar issue here is what you do:

First follow the guide in this thread, if you are still stuck at boot logo even after the manual wipe power off your phone, hold down the power and volume down keys to enter factory reset mode and click power again to confirm a factory reset. This worked like a charm for me :)

tom3tom3

Dec 16, 2012
"Extract File Error"

Hey guyz, i enabled Gl drivers in the Chainfire 3D app and now my phone is soft bricked, phone still turns on but is stuck after the LG logo, i have tried the guide, but everytime i press start update, there is always the "extract file Error" anyway to fix this? thanks.
P.S im pretty new to android.

thracky

Apr 23, 2008
Mississauga
Anyone still trying to use this method I highly suggest you download the .tot for your specific phone/carrier and use the LGNPST method instead. Generally much more reliable for fixing soft bricks. Canadian .tot's can be found in the E973 Development Forum, and the Sprint/AT&T should be available in their respective forums.

For a howto on LGNPST, please see carret's guide thread in the AT&T forum.

Reactions: gabby131

potatohead

Feb 15, 2006
Hey guyz, i enabled Gl drivers in the Chainfire 3D app and now my phone is soft bricked, phone still turns on but is stuck after the LG logo, i have tried the guide, but everytime i press start update, there is always the "extract file Error" anyway to fix this? thanks.
P.S im pretty new to android.

refer to post #31 for thracky's suggestion.

if you still wish to use this method, my suggestion will be to re-download the KDZ, sounds like a corrupted file.

also, ensure u have enough space on your hard drive for the file to expand successfully.

scoobydooby

Apr 8, 2011
Vancouver
Anyone still trying to use this method I highly suggest you download the .tot for your specific phone/carrier and use the LGNPST method instead. Generally much more reliable for fixing soft bricks. Canadian .tot's can be found in the E973 Development Forum, and the Sprint/AT&T should be available in their respective forums.

For a howto on LGNPST, please see carret's guide thread in the AT&T forum.

I have tried this but doesn't appear to work when trying to use the E973 .tot without a proper .dll. The only DLL I can find is for LS970 and this causes errors.

EDIT: Just wanted to follow up and give my huge thanks for this post.. as mentioned above I was having difficulty with the LGNPST method, but using the original KDZ method worked awesome!
Also, I have the Bell KDZ file on hand now so if anyone needs it, please post here or pm me.

Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:

solomon4400

Apr 16, 2012
CANADA(SOMETIMES I ASK Y?)
i kept getting "not responding" errors from the app but realized that my phone was probably dead so i let it charge for a couple of hours and ran the app again and bang it finally started doing its thing and now i know never to F around in system apps i aint familiar with. for now i'm just gonna freeze them.

anyways thanks a lot it worked like a charm!

gabby131

Sep 20, 2010
Winnipeg, MB Canada
i kept getting "not responding" errors from the app but realized that my phone was probably dead so i let it charge for a couple of hours and ran the app again and bang it finally started doing its thing and now i know never to F around in system apps i aint familiar with. for now i'm just gonna freeze them.

anyways thanks a lot it worked like a charm!

Not Responding? I have 27% battery and still get that, (i though because of unzipping the huge file). charging now....

I believe that the unzipping file process on KDZ updater might take a while but does it give everyone a "Not Responding" message? I am still waiting here atm... thanks

EDIT: and before doing a thing, this process wipes data right? whoops....just read in the OP. Does not wipe data so you may result in a stuck LG logo

Last edited:

solomon4400

Apr 16, 2012
Not Responding? I have 27% battery and still get that, (i though because of unzipping the huge file). charging now....

I believe that the unzipping file process on KDZ updater might take a while but does it give everyone a "Not Responding" message? I am still waiting here atm... thanks

EDIT: and before doing a thing, this process wipes data right? whoops....just read in the OP. Does not wipe data so you may result in a stuck LG logo

ok now my issue is i lost root and i cant get it back. has anyone else been able to obtain root again after trying this method?

solomon4400

Apr 16, 2012
I am aware of this one....I will still try rooting after the update.

looks like I dont know what i am talking about....

Oh damn I think that the latest KDZ File incudes the latest software update which I believe is unrootable or bootloader unlockable. Now I'm on version E97110e And believe my previous version was E97110d. I do notice a new keyboard.

SO HEADS UP GUYS THE LATEST KDZ FILE DOWNLOAD YOU GET FROM STEP ONE IN POTATOHEAD's UNBRICK GUIDE OR IF YOU ACCEPT AND DOWNLOAD ROGERS SOFTWARE UPDATE IS NOT ROOTABLE OR BOOTLOADER UNLOCKABLE WHICH WAS TESTED BY ME TO CONFIRM. THIS SUCKS A$$.

so far all I see different is keyboard!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For whatever reasons (improper rooting/flashing, power outage during updating, freezing/removal of LG bloatwares or simple bad luck etc), if you bricked your Optimus G and is stuck with a Security Error or in a bootloop, fear not, as long as you can put it into Download and Recovery Mode, all is not lost.

I got the korean version of the (almost) Optimus G (Optimus LTE2, f160k) and ran into the same security error problem that happened out of the blue.

The steps that I undertook below resolved the problem for me and has been proven to work on Optimus G by fellow members.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34516791&postcount=29

1) Download the latest KDZ from LG's server for your phone via the app below (kudos to the creator)

http://www.mediafire.com/?cgeb6o5osy2yl9c

2) Make sure you have LG United Drivers already installed, otherwise download from below

http://www.mediafire.com/?82nt1aeh04aqa3m

3) Download LG KDZ Updater

http://www.mediafire.com/?sj5y073xal03ntw

4) Download the manual adb wipe batch file

http://www.mediafire.com/?ru7erfxsz7p7s3p

5) Put your Optimus G into Download Mode by switching it off, attaching the usb cable to the phone, holding both the up and down volume buttons at the same time and lastly inserting the usb cable into the computer; wait for the drivers to finish loading if doing it for the first time.

6) Unzip the downloaded updater zip file and run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe. Use the settings below

Type: 3GQCT
    Phone Mode: CS_Emergency
    KDZ file: navigate to the folder which you have saved the downloaded KDZ from the step (1)

Click Launch Software Update and wait for the flash process to finish

7) Your phone will restart itself when IParam = 90 is displayed and proceed slower until you see IParam=1 again (which signals the end of flash, you can safely exit the program then and remove the cable from the phone). If phone boots up normally, congrats, skip the steps below and proceed to use the phone as per normal.

However, this most probably will not be the case for newer Optimus-es, as the data partition somehow wasn't wiped even when KDZ-ed, remaining 'dirty', thus causing bootloop or security infringement.

8) If the phone is stuck at the booting up LG/Telco logo, you will need to manually wipe the data partition.

9) Force the phone off by holding the power button for appx 15secs.

10) Put the phone into recovery mode by holding the volume up and home button concurrently, then press the power button. Let go of all the buttons after you see the LG logo on screen for the 2nd time and the screen goes blank thereafter (backlight may still be on). The phone will kind of reboot and then enters recovery mode. Repeat the process if you did not get it the first time.

11) With the phone in Recovery Mode, connect it to the computer, wait for the drivers to load (if doing it for the first time), unzip the wipe batch file downloaded earlier from step (4), double click on wipe.bat to execute the wipe command.

12) Your phone will auto reboot when wiped and (hopefully) boot as per normal.

Hope with this simple guide fellow members will feel safer when rooting or removing non essential LG wares from their Optimus G.

Ok I have figured it out. If anyone is having a similar issue here is what you do:

First follow the guide in this thread, if you are still stuck at boot logo even after the manual wipe power off your phone, hold down the power and volume down keys to enter factory reset mode and click power again to confirm a factory reset. This worked like a charm for me :)
    I have E973 from Bell and it's been bricked since sunday after renaming couple of system apps.
    I am trying to follow the instruction above but i can't download KDZ file with LG firmware downloader bc it just would not take my SN.
    Error msg is "unsuccessful in connecting to server orphone infomations is wrong!"
    Could anyone upload KDZ file for Bell E973 somewhere on the net that i can download?

It would be much appreciated..

Go here, replacing <yourimei> with your actual imei (just numbers, nothing else), it'll spit out a bunch of text including an address with the kdz.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/auth_model_check2.jsp?esn=<yourimei>
    Thanks for your response! So this method only works for the Sprint version??

as far as i know this this methode may work for sprint/att altho i think lgnpst is better/easier but only available for sprint and att phones

the kdz method is what roger/bell/telus, korean, japan use to recover
    I have E973 from Bell and it's been bricked since sunday after renaming couple of system apps.
    I am trying to follow the instruction above but i can't download KDZ file with LG firmware downloader bc it just would not take my SN.
    Error msg is "unsuccessful in connecting to server orphone infomations is wrong!"
    Could anyone upload KDZ file for Bell E973 somewhere on the net that i can download?

It would be much appreciated..

2nd thracky's view.

would recommend u do it on the PC, use the app, enter your model E973, enter your imei (15 digits, usually means omitting the the last 0 or digit), shd be able to download your KDZ.