Will reward if tested and solved - 2nd Kindle with Same Odd USB Issue

Search This thread

H0B0onDRUGS2

Feb 13, 2014
I just received another KFHDX 7" to replace my old one.

Here's the situation:

- 1st HDX couldn't connect to Home PCs. One running Windows 8.1, and the other running Linux / Ubuntu.

- Talked with Amazon support and did all the listed troubleshooting techniques they told me to follow (most likely online "Google-ing" with me on the phone).

- My conclusion I told them, from what I think the issue can be, is that either there is a physical issue with the connectivity inside the KFHDX, or that a file corrupted when the battery died that is used to have the computer communicate with the PC.

- Amazon support gave up and sent me a replacement KFHDX 7" with firmware 13.3.1.0 on it. "Woo-Hoo!"

- 2nd KFHDX rooted and ready to go.

- Connected to Home PC to transfer files. Worked just fine.

- Connected to Work PC to transfer files. Worked just fine.

- Go back home to transfer files using Home PC.. USB issue. This time the KFHDX is giving me a different error message: "USB Compatibility: Some computers require a free file transfer utility to copy files between the computer and your Kindle. If you need this utility, please open your computer's browser and navigate to kindle.com/support/downloads. Your computer's USB port is a low output power source that will slowly charge your Kindle while asleep and may not charge while in use."

- Mind you I tried using both the front USB port on my Home PC (Win 8.1), back USB port on my Home PC (Win8.1), same USB cable, and different USB cables.

- Went back to my Work PC and it gave the same error, then.. some how it worked!

- Decided "Maybe uninstall the Kindle from the Device Manger utility", which I did, and left back home.

- Connect to Home PC. USB error message on KFHDX 7" device.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Also I really feel that a file was corrupted. If so I installed SafeStrap and Recovered my KFHDX stock ROM. Still had the same USB connection error as before.

Any files to download to the KFHDX to replace an old one? Or can I edit it myself using ES File Explorer?

If solved, tested, and my device can reconnect, I promise to give lunch/beer money for the one that fixes the issue. Thank you.

If it is beyond fixing then I will return it and wait until Google announces their next Nexus tablet in July 2014. Maybe as a "hassle-free" holiday college present. And hopefully similar or better hardware when compared to what the KFHDX has.

I'll also try to talk to my network admin that might have the Work PC with some kind of software where it makes this connectivity issue happen. I can download files off a cloud but USB is much faster and convenient.

Last edited:

H0B0onDRUGS2

Feb 13, 2014

Issue was solved.

My steps:

- Open Device Manager on PC

- Look to see if the Kindle Fire HDX is listed as Kindle, as if it is a device choice (Could be in Portable Device, if so expand it and you should see Kindle listed underneath).

- Disconnect KFHDX from PC. The device listed as Kindle should disappear.

- On KFHDX go to Settings / Device / Enable ADB and turn that off.

- Reconnect KFHDX. If I remember correctly the PC's Device Manager utility will label it as an Android Phone. (If not then sorry I can't help there. My first KFHDX 7" was giving me a different issue that I couldn't resolve. Amazon replaced mine after I tried all the troubleshooting techniques they gave me. Therefore this helps for those having this similar situation.)

- Now update drivers on the "Android Phone"

- Then out of no where my device could communicate with the PC again.

Hope this helps someone if you were having the same issue.
Now to reward myself to a lunch and drink

Last edited:

jjrizzelcincy

Mar 19, 2011
cincinnati

Issue was solved.

My steps:

- Open Device Manager on PC

- Look to see if the Kindle Fire HDX is listed as Kindle, as if it is a device choice (Could be in Portable Device, if so expand it and you should see Kindle listed underneath).

- Disconnect KFHDX from PC. The device listed as Kindle should disappear.

- On KFHDX go to Settings / Device / Enable ADB and turn that off.

- Reconnect KFHDX. If I remember correctly the PC's Device Manager utility will label it as an Android Phone. (If not then sorry I can't help there. My first KFHDX 7" was giving me a different issue that I couldn't resolve. Amazon replaced mine after I tried all the troubleshooting techniques they gave me. Therefore this helps for those having this similar situation.)

- Now update drivers on the "Android Phone"

- Then out of no where my device could communicate with the PC again.

Hope this helps someone if you were having the same issue.
Now to reward myself to a lunch and drink

lol always look in device manager for the device it will load as two devices ,,,one as mtp the other as kindle fire, android usb adb device