metaphz

Jan 9, 2014
Minnesota
HTC One M8 International model FW 1.12.1540.17
Bootloader: UNLOCKED
Rooted: YES
S-OFF: YES
CID: 11111111/SuperCID

I read here that my FW should be brought up to the current revision that a ROM I'd like to run should match. I notice most ROMs run on 1.54.401.10 & 1.54.401.5.

I have been attempting to update my FW but keep running in to error 24 parsing error, due to the modelid number not matching. I was under the assumption that one, FW must match ROM, and two that if I was S-OFF and SuperCID I could flash ANY firmware. So why am I having this issue?

My get var verifies the correct status of my device

version: 0.5
version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
version-baseband: 1.15.2133156.UA03_2G
version-cpld: None
version-microp: None
version-main:
version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
serialno: XXXXXXXXXXXX
imei: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
imei2: Not Support
meid: 00000000000000
product: m8_ul_ca
platform: hTCBmsm8974
modelid: 0P6B12000
cidnum: 11111111
battery-status: good
battery-voltage: 0mV
partition-layout: Generic
security: off
build-mode: SHIP
boot-mode: FASTBOOT
commitno-bootloader: 0a41237a
hbootpreupdate: 11
gencheckpt: 0

However after attempting to flash the 1.54.401.5 FW I recieve this error, I have followed directions to attempt to flash at minimum twice to get results to stick however no luck;

target reported max download size of 1830711296 bytes
sending 'zip' (36538 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.289s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
(bootloader) zip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 24 parsing android-info fail)
finished. total time: 2.481s

Upon inspecting the android-info file it is not the same modelid as my phone. Again I know it doesn't match but I thought with S-OFF and SuperCID it did not matter?

modelid: 0P6B10000
cidnum: HTC__001
cidnum: HTC__102
cidnum: HTC__203
cidnum: HTC__E11
cidnum: HTC__405
cidnum: HTC__Y13
cidnum: HTC__304
cidnum: HTC__A07
cidnum: HTC__032
cidnum: HTC__J15
cidnum: HTC__016
cidnum: HTC__M27
cidnum: HTC__K18
cidnum: HTC__A48
cidnum: HTC__002
mainver: 1.54.401.5
btype:1
aareport:1
hbootpreupdate:12

Is it just as simple as renaming the modelid to match that of my device, like it is to remove the recovery.img to keep TWRP? Also will this cause me to lose S-OFF? Also I've been trying to flash 1.54.401.5, I have thought about trying to flash 1.54.401.10 but not sure if FW updates are incremental updates only, since the 1.54.401.10 has a lot fewer IMG files then the 1.54.401.5.

Reactions: The Great Dane

tominozh

Mar 9, 2011
Dublin
Google Pixel 7

I read here that my FW should be brought up to the current revision that a ROM I'd like to run should match. I notice most ROMs run on 1.54.401.10 & 1.54.401.5.

I have been attempting to update my FW but keep running in to error 24 parsing error, due to the modelid number not matching. I was under the assumption that one, FW must match ROM, and two that if I was S-OFF and SuperCID I could flash ANY firmware. So why am I having this issue?

However after attempting to flash the 1.54.401.5 FW I recieve this error, I have followed directions to attempt to flash at minimum twice to get results to stick however no luck;

Upon inspecting the android-info file it is not the same modelid as my phone. Again I know it doesn't match but I thought with S-OFF and SuperCID it did not matter?

Is it just as simple as renaming the modelid to match that of my device, like it is to remove the recovery.img to keep TWRP? Also will this cause me to lose S-OFF? Also I've been trying to flash 1.54.401.5, I have thought about trying to flash 1.54.401.10 but not sure if FW updates are incremental updates only, since the 1.54.401.10 has a lot fewer IMG files then the 1.54.401.5.

What variant of the m8 that is. Is it branded, what's the original cid?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

tominozh

Mar 9, 2011
Dublin
Google Pixel 7
It is an unbranded International M8. The girlfriend took the OTA but I just pulled this from hers;

BS_US001

ETA: Model number on phone says OP6B120

That's more likely not an international m8. International m8 model number I'd OP6B100 and cid is HTC__001.
I'm not sure where you got your phone from, also not sure if there is any difference between firmware of these two different variants.

metaphz

Jan 9, 2014
Minnesota
That's more likely not an international m8. International m8 model number I'd OP6B100 and cid is HTC__001.
I'm not sure where you got your phone from, also not sure if there is any difference between firmware of these two different variants.

I got my phone from a small local carrier in Wyoming, USA. They in the past have sold "International" models, SIM Unlocked. There is no branding or anything other then HTC on the device.

Not sure where to go from here...I know HTC has OTA update for it because girlfriends HTC is on the 1.54.whatever. So I'm at a loss of what I am to do.

I'd like to update to latest firmware keeping unlocked bootloader, root, s-off, and SuperCID(Which doesn't seem to actually work?) so I can install a custom ROM based on same firmware.

This has been a little frustrating, working on this for two days now to get to where I am.

tominozh

Mar 9, 2011
Dublin
Google Pixel 7
I got my phone from a small local carrier in Wyoming, USA. They in the past have sold "International" models, SIM Unlocked. There is no branding or anything other then HTC on the device.

Not sure where to go from here...I know HTC has OTA update for it because girlfriends HTC is on the 1.54.whatever. So I'm at a loss of what I am to do.

I'd like to update to latest firmware keeping unlocked bootloader, root, s-off, and SuperCID(Which doesn't seem to actually work?) so I can install a custom ROM based on same firmware.

This has been a little frustrating, working on this for two days now to get to where I am.

Are you running stock, or do you have backup of your stock Rom? Did your GF got her phone in the same place?

metaphz

Jan 9, 2014
Minnesota
Are you running stock, or do you have backup of your stock Rom? Did your GF got her phone in the same place?

Me and the GF got the phone same place, same time, right out of the sealed brown box they were shipped in, one after another.

I am running stock ROM, and have made a NANDROID backup with TWRP. I have also made a backup of my radio. Reading another thread my model # looks like an AT&T device but my CID is definitely different, and of course it is because I'm not on AT&T.

tominozh

Mar 9, 2011
Dublin
Google Pixel 7
Me and the GF got the phone same place, same time, right out of the sealed brown box they were shipped in, one after another.

I am running stock ROM, and have made a NANDROID backup with TWRP. I have also made a backup of my radio. Reading another thread my model # looks like an AT&T device but my CID is definitely different, and of course it is because I'm not on AT&T.

Ok, so when you try to check for update in setting--about--software update it says your phone is up to date right?
Also what is the software number in
Setting-about-softwate information -- software number?

metaphz

Jan 9, 2014
Minnesota
Ok, so when you try to check for update in setting--about--software update it says your phone is up to date right?
Also what is the software number in
Setting-about-softwate information -- software number?

My phone says there is an update available, I have NOT taken the update because I didn't want to lose the chance to unlock everything. Like BL, S-OFF, Root, SuperCID, etc...It keeps pestering about the update and the GF didn't care and took the OTA update. I'm coming from Galaxy S4, and DroidX so this HTC is WAY new to me.

Mine
Software number: 1.12.1540.17

GF's Don't care about this one but it recieved OTA from HTC, not carrier
Software number: 1.54.1540.9

tominozh

Mar 9, 2011
Dublin
Google Pixel 7
My phone says there is an update available, I have NOT taken the update because I didn't want to lose the chance to unlock everything. Like BL, S-OFF, Root, SuperCID, etc...It keeps pestering about the update and the GF didn't care and took the OTA update. I'm coming from Galaxy S4, and DroidX so this HTC is WAY new to me.

Mine
Software number: 1.12.1540.17

GF's Don't care about this one but it recieved OTA from HTC, not carrier
Software number: 1.54.1540.9

Ok. There you go. You already have a-off, right. If you do, ota update won't put it back to s-on. I run ota while s-off and I stayed s-off. Also you do not need to relocked bootloader, but you have to have stock recovery.

metaphz

Jan 9, 2014
Minnesota
Ok. There you go. You already have a-off, right. If you do, ota update won't put it back to s-on. I run ota while s-off and I stayed s-off. Also you do not need to relocked bootloader, but you have to have stock recovery.

LOL okay simple enough. I was concerned an OTA would wipe out all the S-OFF stuff and SuperCID. I will take the OTA update then. I see the GF's is 1.54.1540.9 which is where I assume mine will go, not 1.54.401.5 or .10 like the ROMs in the Android Development forum. These ROM's are still safe to flash?

Onem8

Apr 5, 2014

You can change your cid but also your modelid..

Here is the link : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708581

Reactions: metaphz

tominozh

Mar 9, 2011
Dublin
Google Pixel 7
LOL okay simple enough. I was concerned an OTA would wipe out all the S-OFF stuff and SuperCID. I will take the OTA update then. I see the GF's is 1.54.1540.9 which is where I assume mine will go, not 1.54.401.5 or .10 like the ROMs in the Android Development forum. These ROM's are still safe to flash?

It will update to the version that's written in the OTA notification. The last numbers of the version I.e. are just minor carrier/region differences. I believe .9 and .10 are almost identical. Maybe there is difference in radio or so.

The Roms from development forums are safe to flash now as well, they would run just fine, but I always update my to the last available just for hboot, radio.

Also don't forget that you have to flash stock recovery for ota so succeed. And also don't forget you will loose root. So after update you will need to flash stock recovery and root your Rom if you want. And of course Don't forget to make backup of your stock Rom just in case you need it again.

metaphz

Jan 9, 2014
Minnesota

This is the OTA it downloaded, just a little nervous with the word SECURITY in the title LOL

OTA_M8_UL_K44_SENSE60_SECURITY_BrightstarUS_WWE_1.54.1540.9

ETA: When I tell it INSTALL NOW, it goes straight to TWRP to install. Tried flashing the OTA zip, flash failed. How am I to install this OTA?

Last edited:

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
This is the OTA it downloaded, just a little nervous with the word SECURITY in the title LOL

ETA: When I tell it INSTALL NOW, it goes straight to TWRP to install. Tried flashing the OTA zip, flash failed. How am I to install this OTA?

OP, you have the US unlocked M8, not the International one. The 'Security' in the update is to denote it's a security update and doesn't affect S-OFF at all.

If you want to change your phone to the EU unbranded handset you'll have to also change the MID but then it probably won't work on 4G properly so you're better off just updating with the build you have now

metaphz

Jan 9, 2014
Minnesota
OP, you have the US unlocked M8, not the International one. The 'Security' in the update is to denote it's a security update and doesn't affect S-OFF at all.

If you want to change your phone to the EU unbranded handset you'll have to also change the MID but then it probably won't work on 4G properly so you're better off just updating with the build you have now

Thank you so much for this information. I take it when you say unlocked, you mean carrier unlocked, as the bootloader was locked.

How do I apply the OTA FW update to the device? Seems like a silly question, but when I follow along it boots straight to TWRP where it won't flash. Am I to flash this zip in ADB? Confused now :eek:

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Thank you so much for this information. I take it when you say unlocked, you mean carrier unlocked, as the bootloader was locked.

How do I apply the OTA FW update to the device? Seems like a silly question, but when I follow along it boots straight to TWRP where it won't flash. Am I to flash this zip in ADB? Confused now :eek:

You have to be 100% stock to flash an OTA update, so you can't do it in TWRP

tominozh

Mar 9, 2011
Dublin
Google Pixel 7
So how I am to flash an OTA update like previous poster said, and keep Unlocked bootloader, and S-OFF?

Is there a TWRP style zip to flash for this device instead of the OTA update?

Download ota, flash stock recovery from here, make sure it match your current software number.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=51532764

If you rooted you can flash it with this app, just make sure you flash it to recovery partion.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52860295

If not rooted flash it with fastboot.

Then click install ota.
Done.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

version: 0.5
    version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
    version-baseband: 1.15.2133156.UA03_2G
    version-cpld: None
    version-microp: None
    version-main:
    version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
    serialno: XXXXXXXXXXXX
    imei: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    imei2: Not Support
    meid: 00000000000000
    product: m8_ul_ca
    platform: hTCBmsm8974
    modelid: 0P6B12000
    cidnum: 11111111
    battery-status: good
    battery-voltage: 0mV
    partition-layout: Generic
    security: off
    build-mode: SHIP
    boot-mode: FASTBOOT
    commitno-bootloader: 0a41237a
    hbootpreupdate: 11
    gencheckpt: 0

target reported max download size of 1830711296 bytes
    sending 'zip' (36538 KB)...
    OKAY [ 2.289s]
    writing 'zip'...
    (bootloader) zip header checking...
    (bootloader) zip info parsing...
    FAILED (remote: 24 parsing android-info fail)
    finished. total time: 2.481s

modelid: 0P6B10000
    cidnum: HTC__001
    cidnum: HTC__102
    cidnum: HTC__203
    cidnum: HTC__E11
    cidnum: HTC__405
    cidnum: HTC__Y13
    cidnum: HTC__304
    cidnum: HTC__A07
    cidnum: HTC__032
    cidnum: HTC__J15
    cidnum: HTC__016
    cidnum: HTC__M27
    cidnum: HTC__K18
    cidnum: HTC__A48
    cidnum: HTC__002
    mainver: 1.54.401.5
    btype:1
    aareport:1
    hbootpreupdate:12

It will update to the version that's written in the OTA notification. The last numbers of the version I.e. are just minor carrier/region differences. I believe .9 and .10 are almost identical. Maybe there is difference in radio or so.

The Roms from development forums are safe to flash now as well, they would run just fine, but I always update my to the last available just for hboot, radio.

Also don't forget that you have to flash stock recovery for ota so succeed. And also don't forget you will loose root. So after update you will need to flash stock recovery and root your Rom if you want. And of course Don't forget to make backup of your stock Rom just in case you need it again.

You have to be 100% stock to flash an OTA update, so you can't do it in TWRP