Anyone know what audio chip the evo 3d has?

Search This thread

kessomatt

Aug 3, 2008
Getting tired of having to use a dedicated mp3 player. The evo 4g didn't have the best sound quality. Anyone know what the 3d has? I was looking into the sg2 but reports show the sq was better on the galaxy 1.

curiousGeorge

Feb 17, 2008
Saint Paul, MN
Getting tired of having to use a dedicated mp3 player. The evo 4g didn't have the best sound quality. Anyone know what the 3d has? I was looking into the sg2 but reports show the sq was better on the galaxy 1.

Rather than the sound chip, try using a different player. Poweramp is one of the best, and supports full equalizer support, real bass/treble boost, and all sorts of buffer tweaks for audio "problems." In today's devices, the hardware is hardly the issue. It's how the manufacturer decided to hard-code the default parameters (unless you're actually hearing pops/hiss that shouldn't be there). Many complaints about "flat" sound, "muffled" bass, "tinny" highs, "grating" pitch, etc is due to two things above all: headset and enhancements. The headset = your earbuds, and enhancements = HW SRS/Dolby/Bass+/PLAYER settings used.

Of course if you're using HE-AAC and Froyo, that explains everything, since Froyo destroyed the HE component. ;)

Last edited:

Eternity-3D

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego
Rather than the sound chip, try using a different player. Poweramp is one of the best, and supports full equalizer support, real bass/treble boost, and all sorts of buffer tweaks for audio "problems." In today's devices, the hardware is hardly the issue. It's how the manufacturer decided to hard-code the default parameters (unless you're actually hearing pops/hiss that shouldn't be there). Many complaints about "flat" sound, "muffled" bass, "tinny" highs, "grating" pitch, etc is due to two things above all: headset and enhancements. The headset = your earbuds, and enhancements = HW SRS/Dolby/Bass+/PLAYER settings used.

Of course if you're using HE-AAC and Froyo, that explains everything, since Froyo destroyed the HE component. ;)

the issue with quality is not the hardware, but the drivers, rom, and configuration. Chad knows all about the sound chipset in the 3d, and his kernel make audio quality better than the stock rezound. the rezound is HTC's flagship phone, that HTC claims has the best audio. Chad made a custom kernel for that phone as well, and the feedback from XDA users in his thread pretty much said the audio quality on the rezound with the stock kernel sucks compared to how it sounds with Chad's kernel.

BTW - the rezound and 3d share the same hardware as far as cpu, gpu, and audio chipsets.

and to add: with Chads kernels, apps such as dsp manager, poweramp, etc are not needed. the audio quality will seriously blow your mind if you flash a decent rom with his kernel.

DarkManX4lf

May 11, 2007
NYC
the issue with quality is not the hardware, but the drivers, rom, and configuration. Chad knows all about the sound chipset in the 3d, and his kernel make audio quality better than the stock rezound. the rezound is HTC's flagship phone, that HTC claims has the best audio. Chad made a custom kernel for that phone as well, and the feedback from XDA users in his thread pretty much said the audio quality on the rezound with the stock kernel sucks compared to how it sounds with Chad's kernel.

BTW - the rezound and 3d share the same hardware as far as cpu, gpu, and audio chipsets.

and to add: with Chads kernels, apps such as dsp manager, poweramp, etc are not needed. the audio quality will seriously blow your mind if you flash a decent rom with his kernel.

I am pretty sure the rezound is not htcs flagship phone. The One X/XL is their flagship phone.

So power amp is really that good. I usually use a blue tooth head phones or a blue tooth to fm transmitter in my car. Does power amp work well with blue tooth?

Scougar

May 22, 2010
USA
With respect> Can someone actually answer the question rather than sidestepping it because you don't know?

The O2X for example has a very decent Wolfson WM8994 sound chip. If you guys don't appreciate the difference hardware quality makes to sound quality, then you need your heads checking.

As my wife would say "whatever".

Note: It's early in the morning and I'm tired, grumpy and going to bed.