Unlocked my Note and now I can't upgrade to ICS via Kies

Search This thread

dompel

Jul 12, 2012
I bought an unlock from a guy on eBay. He remoted into my PC and did something to unlock it. It worked fine overseas, but now that Im back I want to upgrade to ICS but Keis says the device can not be recognized. What are my options here? I don't really care if I keep the unlock or not.

Thanks

kandelai

Apr 26, 2008
I bought an unlock from a guy on eBay. He remoted into my PC and did something to unlock it. It worked fine overseas, but now that Im back I want to upgrade to ICS but Keis says the device can not be recognized. What are my options here? I don't really care if I keep the unlock or not.

Thanks

Follow the instructions on this thread. It will install the official ICS unrooted from AT&T. Shutdown and pull out your battery to find your S/N number listed on your phone and write it down. The model is AT&T I717 when asked. Skip the part in 4 (a) when told to pull out the battery and continue with instructions. Here are the instructions;

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1731654

mrtim8383

Jan 28, 2012

Thanks

First thing give him bad rating. Second thing call the carrier and describe your situation. (overseas) maybe you're military maybe not. If you are they should have some leeway with you. If not pretend you are to see if you can get away with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Last edited:

dompel

Jul 12, 2012
Follow the instructions on this thread. It will install the official ICS unrooted from AT&T. Shutdown and pull out your battery to find your S/N number listed on your phone and write it down. The model is AT&T I717 when asked. Skip the part in 4 (a) when told to pull out the battery and continue with instructions. Here are the instructions;

I started doing this but got an error at 15% saying operation timed out. Almost **** my pants, thought I bricked my device. Restarted and its still working. Kinda nervous about doing this now....

thatguyitsme

Mar 3, 2009
I don't see why you would give the seller a bad rating, kies gave me tons of timeout errors, unzip errors, and errors in downloading yesterday. Samsung live chat rep told me it doesn't work right with a lot of computers.

And honestly its so much easier now that there are flashable zips in development forum i don't know why you would bother with kies, its worthless a few hours after the new firmware is out. If you want uclf6 just download flappjaxx rooted with fj tools

Reactions: rquiett

dompel

Jul 12, 2012
I don't see why you would give the seller a bad rating, kies gave me tons of timeout errors, unzip errors, and errors in downloading yesterday. Samsung live chat rep told me it doesn't work right with a lot of computers.

And honestly its so much easier now that there are flashable zips in development forum i don't know why you would bother with kies, its worthless a few hours after the new firmware is out. If you want uclf6 just download flappjaxx rooted with fj tools

I really don't want to void my warranty or risk bricking my device. I just want the updated firmware for my carrier. There must be some way to fix or revert the unlock...

modmyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Northford, CT
First thing give him bad rating. Second thing call the carrier and describe your situation. (overseas) maybe you're military maybe not. If you are they should have some leeway with you. If not pretend you are to see if you can get away with it.

You sir are are a douche bag. Recommending that someone should go and pretend that they are military to circumvent a system. Hopefully someday you will learn RESPECT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

mwatsonca

Mar 8, 2012
I also unlocked my Telus branded note and kies will not consider an update - i know its not out yet but my device is no longer "supported" however my phone still thinks its telus and i have no doubt that i will still get an OTA update from them when it is released. A bit of research from other devices shows that usually the phone is still on the old carriers books...

jhduff

Feb 19, 2010
for those who had your phone unlocked by the guy on ebay, is it safe to do (i.e, the remote accessing your pc part)? are there any other problems with the phone other than kies not recognizing the phone? I am considering getting it unlocked w/ this guy on ebay.

ruxxo

Feb 5, 2012
unlock and update

hi guys, i unlocked my att note, with a dude on ebay, he just send me the unlock code after 3 hrs, and charges me for 24.99 kind of expensive but a sure thingh, i did the ics update the same day that goes out, and my phone has no troubles until now, i just have to download the newest kies, because the old one of my infuse wasnt the same and not work with the note...

ruxxo

thatguyitsme

Mar 3, 2009
Kies is far from perfect. Contact Samsung live chat and all they will give you to troubleshoot your issue is "try on different computer"

There isn't much risk in trying to download the ota update from the phone, but honestly its easier to use the odin flashable zip that was posted in general section don't remember which thread. That's what i did the night it was released and it went smooth.

dacho

Jul 19, 2006
Orlando
www.teslaservices.com
Just follow instructions that the other guy posted with typing in serial and model. Timeout is common even on stock locked note I got it many times before it succeeds to complete the download.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

mcangeli

Jul 27, 2010
Launch KIES.

Plug Phone in.

Under tools select Firmware Upgrade and Initialization

When it asks you, put in the SN and model (model is SGH-I717) and install the upgrade

You won't be unlocked, or rooted, but thats easy as well.

Gwanatu

Oct 12, 2010
Apopka, FL
You sir are are a douche bag. Recommending that someone should go and pretend that they are military to circumvent a system. Hopefully someday you will learn RESPECT.

I think he was suggesting that the guy might be military and that's why he had to get his phone unlocked for overseas use. Regardless using this method is fine; I had mine done this way and haven't ever had issues. I'm not sure where it is, but the last ODIN I can find is for UCLD3 ICS leak found here. There's got to be a UCLF6 one floating around somewhere...

JonGarrett

Mar 9, 2011
Bklyn, NY

Thanks

dude, your best bet is to NOT update to ICS. take a look at the thread I started asking people what issues they're having since updating to ICS. there are a lot of problems and if you don't want one of them you should just stay on Gingerbread.

angeljuarez

Mar 24, 2011
Dallas, TX
No problems for me.
And it was only $8 bucks.
He emailed me after I paid.
It was at 3am. Took like 10 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

liljoka166

Jun 8, 2012
coleman
I also unlocked my Telus branded note and kies will not consider an update - i know its not out yet but my device is no longer "supported" however my phone still thinks its telus and i have no doubt that i will still get an OTA update from them when it is released. A bit of research from other devices shows that usually the phone is still on the old carriers books...

I don't think the note will get ota ics update

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

deadman_raziel

Nov 2, 2011
Chambersburg
NO, it will not be getting OTA update. The ONLY way to update the note to ICS is via Kies (or rooting and voiding warantee).

Nothing is wrong with your device or computer. You have to remember that the servers that Kies connects to are being hammered right now, and you have to try & try again to make sure that you have a good connection. I had to try it 3 times before I got the update to ICS via Kies. It's NORMAL because everyone that received that text on the note are trying to update to the latest version.

So, be patient, sit back, have some cake, and just follow the directions I posted for updating via kies. Here's the link for those of you that don't know it, didn't find it, or didn't search for it:

Now, update, enjoy ICS and have a nice day.

P.S. For the record, I have had no issues with this update, and it's performing wonderfully.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.