Beware of screen protectors

Search This thread

yuzgen

Feb 22, 2014
Istanbul
plus.google.com
Sister bought a Samsung Note 3 and gave me her S4. There was a yellow colour tint all over, specially noticeable on white. I googled for yellow tint on amoled screens for about two days. It was a fact. Whites weren't white indeed. I started to consider to give the phone back and get myself an IPS. Then removed the screen protector. Now most of the yellow tint is gone. So, beware.

Pfeffernuss

Jun 30, 2009
Wassenaar
Sister bought a Samsung Note 3 and gave me her S4. There was a yellow colour tint all over, specially noticeable on white. I googled for yellow tint on amoled screens for about two days. It was a fact. Whites weren't white indeed. I started to consider to give the phone back and get myself an IPS. Then removed the screen protector. Now most of the yellow tint is gone. So, beware.

Buy a *proper* protector instead. All will be fine. So, beware on buying crap.

Reactions: jzun223 and Rossyyy

yuzgen

Feb 22, 2014
Istanbul
plus.google.com
Buy a *proper* protector instead. All will be fine. So, beware on buying crap.

Touching this screen and the back of the phone feels good. I don't believe any protection can give this feeling and can always stay clean. All of them will effect the display of the screen. I reject to use protection material. I think the designers could produce phones with them if they wanted to.

Reactions: KingOfDope

Pfeffernuss

Jun 30, 2009
Wassenaar
All of them will effect the display of the screen.
Completely disagree. It is/I find it completely impossible to see the Mime protector I applied, except where the glass stops, logically.

<click image for gallery>

I reject to use protection material.
That's fine. I reject a phone with a scratched display. And yes, even with Gorilla Glass it *will* scratch, easily.

Reactions: Coycaine

Coycaine

Sep 17, 2011
Reno, NV
Sounds like it was one disgustingly dirty screen protector.....Like coated with cigarette tar or something. Screen protectors are meant to be replaced, not a lifetime product......

Stealyourface

Oct 19, 2007
VA Beach
She probably mucked it up with a combination of sweat or oils from her face, hair, and fingers throughout her time with it.

Regardless, that's what happens with basic screen protectors. That doesn't happen with glass screen protectors. And there's no compromises with them either.

DigitalHeretic

Nov 27, 2012
Dayton, OH
The Spigen Glas.tR that I bought last week is almost unnoticeable, and feels exactly like the bare glass of the phone itself. Much more responsive than the Zagg I had previously too

This message brought to you by electromagnetism

yuzgen

Feb 22, 2014
Istanbul
plus.google.com
The point is; why would I protect a screen I will never touch? That screen is made to be used as is. Many engineers worked on it and decided it's good to mass produce. Glass protectors should be OK, cause the dirt could be cleaned, but I'm obsessed with the edges while holding stuff for long hours. Glass protectors' edges should be worse than plastics to touch. This phone feels like touching a naked woman when naked.

If protecting is meant to protect to keep the phone's value when selling, not worth the hassle. I prefer giving away electronics after using, cause 2nd hand traders will never give me what my stuff is really worth.

Sent from my K00U using Tapatalk

Coycaine

Sep 17, 2011
Reno, NV
The point is; why would I protect a screen I will never touch? That screen is made to be used as is. Many engineers worked on it and decided it's good to mass produce. Glass protectors should be OK, cause the dirt could be cleaned, but I'm obsessed with the edges while holding stuff for long hours. Glass protectors' edges should be worse than plastics to touch. This phone feels like touching a naked woman when naked.

If protecting is meant to protect to keep the phone's value when selling, not worth the hassle. I prefer giving away electronics after using, cause 2nd hand traders will never give me what my stuff is really worth.

I'd hate to see the naked women you've touched then!!:laugh:;)

Also to stay on topic....So you made a thread to tell us you don't like screen protectors? Noted.

Last edited:

Rakcoon

May 15, 2013
Haha why is this even a thread? Isn't it common sense ? This thread will be worthy If the screen protector discoloured the phone itself. But this guy's telling us his crapwrap yellowed over time (duh).

yuzgen

Feb 22, 2014
Istanbul
plus.google.com
As a man who doesn't have common sense, I just read the most worthy post at XDA from a raccoon.

Anyway, never used a protector before and I thought there might be other people looking at yellow screens but not aware the protector's effect just like myself. Easy to get, eh?

Rakcoon

May 15, 2013
Well, apparently it is crap, because of the yellowing (and the orange-peel effect is horrific, but to each his own). Zagg is incredibly overrated imho.

A proper protector will not turn yellow. My two year old SGP Ultra Clear was as transparent as when applied new.

Couldn't agree more. Have used zagg since iphone 4, 4s, 5, until galaxy s4 last year. Not only is zagg overpriced, it also has poor quality- yellowing, blue-tint from jeans, & orange peel effect.

gflare

Aug 2, 2010
Baltimore, MD
This went from a simple informative post about some screen protectors slowly tinting over time, to a thread to tell people they don't have common sense if they don't buy the best branded screen protectors.

I do want to say thanks to the OP for trying to inform people who may or may not know to check the screen protector if they get discoloration on screen. It did sound like it was a post about screen protectors messing up the original screen at first, but when I read the thread it was pretty clear he was trying to educate people about the protector itself being discolored.

When looking for a cheap screen protector brand that does not seem to have discoloration and still a good solid glassy feel - I prefer 'Realook' , usually bought on amazon for less than the other brands. No discoloration on any of my previous protectors, though I tend to take exceptional care of my devices.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Given that basic but good tempered glass protectors are commonly selling for the same prices as the sheets, I really hope they will fully replace them in the near future. I have one on my S4, and it is the best purchase I ever made. Sharper than the plastic and feels better too. Got it for $6, and after months of use, still no scratches.

Top Liked Posts