Epic 4G to Virgin Mobile(SMS/MMS/VOICE/3G)*WORKING!* UPDATED:2-19-2013

Search This thread

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if anything happens to your phone, yada yada yada thermo-nuclear war. wait what? :)
    CDMA Workshop software is PAID software, you have to either find it yourself, have someone who has the licensed version, or buy it yourself.

Virgin Mobile on your Samsung Epic 4G- THE Tutorial 1.3

This guide uses the Virgin Mobile Intercept, there have been other threads spawned with their own tuts with different phones, as of now, this is the other phone:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1601869
    Wildfire S

Are you better with looking at visuals? Another user re-made this tut with pictures.
    http://www.groovypost.com/howto/epic-4g-on-virgin-mobile/

What You'll Need:

Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept [Owned]-Purpose: (This will be your Epic's new Identity. We'll need the HA and AAA keys.)
    (Modifed Driver of PC Studio 3-Download Here)
    Samsung Epic 4G [Owned]-Purpose: (Needed to Reprogram, so you can enjoy Sprint Prepaid.)
    (Common Sense, but the corresponding Epic Drivers,)
    Connectbot (Android Market) [Free]-Purpose: (For Intercept, only if you don't know Donor Phone's SPC/MSL, because you need to know it.)
    Anycut.apk (Android Market) [Free]-Purpose: (For Intercept, This app will work half the magic needed to dump your Intercept's unique AAA key.)
    CDMA 2.7+ (Find on your own) [Paid]-Purpose: (You'll need this to read your Epic's Settings, changing a few things that may not change in QPST)
    QPST Build 355 (Download Here) [Free]-Purpose: (QPST is where you'll be programming your Epic.)
    QXDM (Download Here) [Free]-Purpose: (EXCERSIZE WITH CAUTION! only needed if you have problems repairing your ESN with CDMA)
    ADB Standalone (Download Here) [Free]-Purpose: (If you don't have ADB on your laptop/desktop, this is the best alternative, without needing SDK)

**WARNING!!** Updating your Epic's Modem will break your 3g settings, which will require you re-program with QPST!!**

Now that you understand what you need and you have obtained everything,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I will not tell you how to change your ESN however, if you bork your Epic's ESN, this link will show you what to do for repairing it. To each their own if you decide to mess around and change it.

#1 This needs to be done FIRST! if you save it for last (like i did) you'll have to re-enter all the M.I.P. Settings!! (Uses QPST and QXDM)
    http://mobile5.in/forums/index.php?/topic/255-meid-esn-repair-for-samsung-epic-4g/
    side-note, you can easily google the 16-digit Samsung Default code, also needed for Step 1.

You'll want to zero out your ESN as stated in that link above. To each their own, as I cannot endorse or encourage changing ESNs, it's ultimately up to YOU the end-user if you choose to modify it to the Intercept's ESN. If you feel that violates your privacy, your reading of this tutorial is over. If you understand, read on.
    ********************************************************************************************************
    #2 You need to read the Donor-Phone's AAA keys if you want 3G service (these can't be google'd, it's specific to your serviced account when your donor phone is activated.

On your PC, download ADB Standalone, made by an XDA User. (No installation needed.) What we will need is PC Studio 3 for your Intercept, but DON'T plug in your Intercept just yet, if you do, you may get PC Studio 3 downloaded for your intercept from Windows Update we DONT WANT THAT ONE, use the link I provided of the modified version which is what is needed for ADB to logcat with your intercept.

Don't panic, the driver takes a while to install! Before you connect your Intercept, it's important to note that if any of you geeks google'd how to get it into PDA/Modem, you didn't have to, as we aren't taking that route, just for your knowledge, it's ##8778# on the Epic, and ##PORT# on the Intercept.

Make sure it's on PDA for USB. Make sure the Intercept's USB Debugging is on under Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging.

NOW. On Your Intercept, you should have downloaded both Connectbot and Anycut from the Android Market. IF you know your intercept's SPC/MSL, skip this, if not, open connectbot, choose whatever nickname like "android", select local, and type: "getprop ril.MSL" without quotes, case-sensitive. What comes up is your SPC/MSL code. Jot that down on Paper or Notepad, (or both.) It's important for your other app.

Now, after you've installed anycut on your Intercept, on your homescreen, press down and click on "shortcuts" select "anycut shortcuts" and then click on activity. You'll get a long list of things that you can access on your phone. Scroll down till you see "DATA" more than one work, but select the second "DATA" on that list. It will ask for the SPC/MSL code that you wrote down earlier. type that in, and you'll see view, edit. we want to hit edit, but DONT edit anything!!! from there, STOP. Go to your PC, and with adb open, type "adb >logcat" or simply "logcat" you'll get a mumbo jumbo of text going down, which is a log of your phone's current actions. Hit your Username and click to edit, but CANCEL and DONT save.

Congratulations!! You now have the AAA key unique to your Intercept dumped! Read through the log, you'll see "vmug33k" somewhere in there, that's the HA key, (needed) and the AAA key will show up multiple times near it. like "aaa pw:abcde12345"

Be sure to jot down both your HA key, and AAA key most importantly! Save it, write it, email it to yourself, make a song about it, whatever you have to do to not lose your AAA key.
    ********************************************************************************************************
    #3 CDMA Workshop is needed for MIN and Direct Number writing, useful to write your prl. (be sure to have SPC)

Know what com port your Epic is connected to, select it from the cdma software, if you don't know, look for it under Device Manager--> COMs and Ports)

If you don't see it there, try disconnecting your epic, dialing ##8778# move your USB--Modem/PDA to PDA. Connect your epic to the PC, then dial ##8778# it SHOULD recognize now, I've done it about 30+ times, never fails, so if it is failing for you, make sure you don't have QPST open, as it could be making the com port busy. To avoid COM issues, don't have other USBs plugged in. Also be sure you have the CDMA Technologies and CDC Serial installed when you plug in your epic, as you do need your epic drivers.

Once you're connected, read from phone. Check the Nam tab, make sure the MIN and Directory number are right, not much you can do here unless you have the newest CDMA, which then means you can do all the QPST things from CDMA workshop without QPST. It still carries alot of good info. Plus, you'll need it for writing your PRL in it at least. Use the latest Sprint EVDO PRL under "www.corolada.com/prl" to each their own if you want to google your intercept's PRL and try and find it yourself, or the famous 01115.prl up to you.
    #4 QPST is needed for programming, you need at least QPST 2.7 Build 355. IF your phone isn't recognized and it comes up as "unknown" and tells you to choose, you have the OLD/WRONG VERSION. For those who don't usually use QPST, install the setup, add a port, according to what you need, if you're on COM3, then you'd add new port... where it says com, you type "COM3" then save. If a phone pulls up under COM3 in this case, then that's your phone correctly recognized as a modem! On the Start Clients Tab, hit Programming Services. Another window will pop up, showing that you want to work with the phone on COM3 or whatever COM you're on. Your Epic should be recognized as: FFA6550-ZRF6500. Hit ok. Alright, now, under the M.I.P. Tab:

M.IP -
    profile 0:
    enabled:no, nai:blank,ha spi:3, aaa spi: 2,
    rev tun: no, home:0.0.0.0, primary:dynamic
    profile 1: (active)
    enabled:yes, nai:MEID@mdata.vmobl.com,ha spi:21EF,
    aaa spi:21EF, rev_tev tun: yes, home:0.0.0.0,
    primary:not set

profile 2:
    same as 1 with nai: meid@prov.vmobl.com

In the MIP tab, make sure you're: MOB IP Only!!!

Now go to the PPP Config Tab:

pppconfig:
    rm,um same
    an - userid is meid@mdata.vmobl.com
    although password is blank, it is present.

Write to Phone. Don't Disconnect phone until it reboots to Samsung Boot Logo. That Should be it, you're done!!

As of January 21, 2012, this is the latest VM prl in my area, (Oregon, USA) 61007.prl
    http://www.mediafire.com/?71uzq3z8zdzirlm
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MMS WORKS thanks to Brooksyx, be sure to throw him a thanks!

As of 2-19-2013, you're required to use CyanogenMod 9 or 10 if you want MMS. (10.1 still experimental)

MMS Thread below:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1491189

Troubleshooting:

Error 16? This can happen if you turn on the donor phone, (which you shouldn't!)

You'll need to get on VM Tech Support and have them reset your line, then call the Sprint Error 16 Department, they'll do the rest from their end. After this, turn BOTH cell-phones off for a few hours, do NOT turn on your donor phone on anymore unless it's a 911 emergency and your epic is dead. Proceed to turning on your epic from now on.

This is a security flag that goes off in rare cases, it has happened to me.

COM PORT ISSUES?
    Make sure you don't have Diagnostic Ports only checked on QPST, and select the appropriate COM.

If all else fails, check your wire, your phone, and re-install drivers and software!

Thank you for all your input Qew! As a new member he was helpful in getting me to understand what all settings were important.

Shinydude100, have you tried manually putting the HA and AAA password in the phone in the ##3282# menu? When I first put the passwords on my phone it would get 1x then disconnect, even though the icon said 3G. I went to the menu opened each password and it was there so I clicked ok and rebooted the phone. Then it connect to real 3G.

Might not be necessary but optional check the following video by Msnuser111:

Differences I've noticed was that they wrote 2 NV Items, 1192 and 1194. Also, under nai, they also wrote down the meid for the tethered nai.

Even if you can't donate, I'd gladly accept your thanks.
    Nope I think that is the last step. I have made every single change to the CM9 build but that. Currently the CM9 github is down but hopefully will be up soon.

I have a proposal for you regarding an extra epic I have in my possession... check your pm. :p

edit: also where is that commit referencing in the rom. Is it a file we can edit (such as data/data/com.android.providers.telephony)? Or is it built into the general source code of the rom? Because if we could just edit/overwrite some files that would make it much easier then building a whole rom.

frameworks/base/telephony/java/com/android/internal/telephony/cdma/CdmaSMSDispatcher.java

Cool idea, and I can return it later! ;)
    Alright, wish me luck!

Now that I have everything working, with only MMS missing, today's that day to crack down on MMS. Probably the stupidest thing ever done, but I'm going from my flawless setup on CleanGB, back to STOCK Froyo 2.2 BML Tar from Samsprint.

#1 Epic 4G to Boost which is Sprint's other Prepaid service have MMS working for 2.1 and 2.2. So Assuming that they don't have it working for gingerbread either, then we're going to have to re-trace our steps and see if we can pick it up as well with that theoretical setup.

#2 People have said in other threads on XDA that they believe VM is "blocking" MMS connections (9999999 texts) due to phones not being 2.2 and if that is true, I'm sure the build.prop is a dead giveaway as well, I'll be changing my build.prop in order to see if that helps any. For every change I make, I'll test MMS, that way we aren't all attempting to enter unnecessary info and only take what we need to get it working.

#3, When I go back on Stock DK28 2.2 Froyo BML, I'll be sure to push the Intercept's MMS.apk as well.

#4, last but not least, If all else fails, I'll be attempting the method that got cricket users MMS by pulling more things off the intercept.

---NOTICE!! I'm doing this so YOU won't have to. Please don't mess up your setup! Just check back on this post and I'll let all of you know if I got MMS working again.

UPDATE: I found some interesting info online in regards to the Optimus V having the same "MMS Issue" that we have once they tried MMS using CyanogenMod7, it seems it's been since fixed, and was posted on different forums, to where the last post was by weinerwad, where they never replied to him. Lol. anyway. It looks like I'm going to go BACK to CyanogenMod 7 after reprogramming my VM Setup, then I'll try their modified Optimus V MMS apk made for their Cyanogenmod 7, plus their apns-conf.xml. It seems "other files" are needed but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Point is, MMS issue has already been "fixed" for the Optimus V on CyanogenMod 7. Though the MMS.apk on Epic's 2.2 just gives a parsing error and won't show up whatsoever, after fixing permissions, etc. At least there's indeed a fix though eh?
    ok I did some more research and I think I figured out what the changes needed for mms are, but it requires a recompiled framework, mms app, and phone app, I'm going to pull in the needed changes and recompile probably after school today, and after I get a few people in irc to test, if it works I'll post here and I'll share how to make it happen too for anyone that wants to make up to date roms.

The work to fix MMS on the Optimus V was originally done by zefie, mik9, aospbot, and some others. You might be able to find it in zefie's, mik9's, or Blarf's repo histories.

Better, contact Blarf aka github.com/inferiorhumanorgans , he should be able to tell you exactly which changes are required.

Here's what I remember, but there's more, like modifying parts of your default apns-conf.xml file, etc:
    https://github.com/inferiorhumanorg...mmit/8a3b753ddcd6be8c44db8d2a6842b399757df6ee
    https://github.com/inferiorhumanorg...mmit/0f8de04418d834f0a1b7d659632ff0b16aae2f25
    https://github.com/inferiorhumanorg...mmit/937eeda64e1fb48dcdb52b0b5ed755bca67135f6
    https://github.com/inferiorhumanorg...mmit/7c7d1c55940c28ce2c8da2ed78d203d18f3d21ad