Ouya and current Google Play Store games.

Search This thread

vbanagas

Feb 8, 2013
I am just curious can the Ouya play games that I already have purchased on the Google Play Store? I am interested in purchasing the Ouya but only if I can play my current games on it as well.

mromutt

Jan 18, 2011
well they said we can root it so it should be very easy to install google play, so i see no reason why you couldn't. but some may be hard to play with the controller but we will see when we get there. hopefully mines here next month

RapidCreek

Jan 14, 2013
Games on Ouya

I Plan to use Sixaxis Controller app with games that don't support controlers as i use it on my tablet and i can enable gamepad for showgun if needed. We need someone to test a gamepad supported game on the system with the Ouya controler to see if it works that way.

haris182

May 4, 2011
Jakarta
Does Ouya even have Google Play Store?:confused:
I heard it only has their own market (like Ouya Market)

I want my Ouya not only for games, but also a media centre. Like playing movies from HDD ext., browsing, twitter, facebook, and others applications from Play Store.
how cool is that :fingers-crossed:

it hasn't been stated one way or the other. If apps can be side loaded, then I would say even if it's there, you could extract Google Play and loaded it that way, as well as the apps you want. The only thing that isn't know, what apps will play nice with Ouya's interface using a controller. A lot of apps, if not all, are designed from a touch input design.

I don't know if there is anything that Google Play needs besides an Android OS to function. So there could be reasons it may not work despite being able to load it on the Ouya.

kachan64

Mar 3, 2013
Ouya will have their own stores called "Ouya Store". All games are ported to support Ouya consoles.
Shadow Gun is confirmed to work on Ouya. Please wait for the rest announcement!

shangostar

May 11, 2011
Search youtube for 'Ouya performance test' there is a guy with a dev console playing lots of current android games so should be able to.

bigd5783

Mar 3, 2009
Oklahoma City
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Ouya have a touchpad on the control? That would work the same as touching the screen as long as there is a mouse pointer on the screen or you could enable touch location in the developer settings.

IseeBrickedPhones

Apr 12, 2009
The Ouya has a custom launcher and all apps and games are required to be recompiled with custom tags in their manifest. Only apps with these custom tags show up in the Ouya UI.

So its possible to adb push the Store and a custom launcher APK but you need a way of switching back and forth.

If you are not using the Oyua UI you will not be able to take advantage of the custom Ouya services such as ranking systems and friends lists.

DroidPlayer

Mar 17, 2013
Play Store Authentication

I am just curious can the Ouya play games that I already have purchased on the Google Play Store? I am interested in purchasing the Ouya but only if I can play my current games on it as well.

You have to be rooted to get Play Store on a non-rooted Device.
If you do get root, contact theperson333, I think he can help.
I'm no Expert.

erdal67

Nov 1, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Ouya have a touchpad on the control? That would work the same as touching the screen as long as there is a mouse pointer on the screen or you could enable touch location in the developer settings.

Yes it has in the middle of the controller

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Wildfire met Tapatalk

datallboy

Feb 7, 2013
Ouya will be featuring its own app market, not Google play market. The system runs on android Jelly Bean, but that doesn't mean its the same as your tablet or phone. Customized UI and maybe a different file format for games (I'm assuming they're still apks though.) You can pick up the development tool on their website.

Reactions: jim261jim261

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You have to be rooted to get Play Store on a non-rooted Device.
    If you do get root, contact theperson333, I think he can help.
    I'm no Expert.

That post was completely irrelevant

S4 INFO
    Ouya will be featuring its own app market, not Google play market. The system runs on android Jelly Bean, but that doesn't mean its the same as your tablet or phone. Customized UI and maybe a different file format for games (I'm assuming they're still apks though.) You can pick up the development tool on their website.
    Customized UI and maybe a different file format for games (I'm assuming they're still apks though.)

Are you sure?
    It would wonder me, since they would have to change a core feature of android, the JVM.
    It depends on a standarized file structure AFAIK and doesn't allow different structures or
    format. So every game for Ouya should also working on Android Smartphones.
    You will never be able to just install the play store apk, because it relies on additional google framework and apks. the first time you sign in to the play store, gmail, google talk, etc. it will direct you to the google login apk. that's why on an aosp rom you have to flash a whole Gapps package instead of just adding the store. Since we can't flash unofficial zips yet it's a matter of using adb to copy several dozen files to multiple locations on the system partition, and I just haven't had the time to try it yet. And even if that does work, anyone who wants the play store working will have to do the same tedious procedure. It's really going to be best for most users to just wait until we have a custom recovery and a flashable gapps package or custom rom.
    Are you sure?
    It would wonder me, since they would have to change a core feature of android, the JVM.
    It depends on a standarized file structure AFAIK and doesn't allow different structures or
    format. So every game for Ouya should also working on Android Smartphones.

android doesn't use the JVM. It uses dalvik. The 2 are not the same. Hell, onces a register based machine and one is stack based so under the hood they have basically zero relation. Its only the source code that is the same but once compiled you lose that similarity.

Also for the play store its just 2 apk's. GoogleAppsServicesFramework and the play store app. Both can be dumped in the system/app folder. I don't own an ouya but have added the play store to other devices that came without it.