Slimport adapter (Micro usb to HDMI)

Search This thread
Hi guys,

Well, After some time, I finally got my SlimPort Adapter...

Even got 2 of them. One is direct micro-usb to HDMI Male, which allows to connect directly to a device without the need for an extra HDMI cable !

I happily report that I infirm my previous post ! My problems obviously were related to a malfunctioning adapter.
Both adapters I got allow me to connect to a TV or a VP : image is stable and no flickering whatsoever.

Might keep the LG G3 after all :)

Regards.

FRED

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
Hi guys,

Well, After some time, I finally got my SlimPort Adapter...

Even got 2 of them. One is direct micro-usb to HDMI Male, which allows to connect directly to a device without the need for an extra HDMI cable !

I happily report that I infirm my previous post ! My problems obviously were related to a malfunctioning adapter.
Both adapters I got allow me to connect to a TV or a VP : image is stable and no flickering whatsoever.

Might keep the LG G3 after all :)

Regards.

FRED

Glad you got it worked out. Which adapters did you buy?

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
FYI, There is a new official SlimPort adapter out now since most of the posts here - the SP1004. You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Slimp...eywords=SP1004

This is latest adapter and from what I'm seeing, it came out in around September of 2014. It supports high speed AC charging thru it's USB port and has fixes for reliability etc. I would say if you're looking to buy one of these adapters, this one for sure, is the one to get.

Analogix, the company that actually makes these, lists it as the latest in the series:
http://www.analogix.com/en/products/adapters/sp1004

I guess they had a lot of problems of not only third party adapters, but also knockoffs of existing models. Even the http://www.slimportconnect.com/ website incorrectly lists the prior SP1003 model.

I'll be ordering one this week, for my G3 and my Nexus 7 (2013), and I'll report back.

Reactions: AllstarE4

dferg

Jun 25, 2010
FYI, There is a new official SlimPort adapter out now since most of the posts here - the SP1004. You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Slimp...eywords=SP1004

This is latest adapter and from what I'm seeing, it came out in around September of 2014. It supports high speed AC charging thru it's USB port and has fixes for reliability etc. I would say if you're looking to buy one of these adapters, this one for sure, is the one to get.

Analogix, the company that actually makes these, lists it as the latest in the series:
http://www.analogix.com/en/products/adapters/sp1004

I guess they had a lot of problems of not only third party adapters, but also knockoffs of existing models. Even the http://www.slimportconnect.com/ website incorrectly lists the prior SP1003 model.

I'll be ordering one this week, for my G3 and my Nexus 7 (2013), and I'll report back.

Hi ive used the analogix one for about 6 months now and it works great apart from on my main tv (52" Samsung).
Tested and worked fine on no-brand 720p 2001 tv, Blaupunkt 24", and Sony bravia 32".
I can highly recommend this product.
Also btw....the built in miracast on G3 works great with my Sony bravia so I hardly use this adapter any more but its a valuable little piece of kit!

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

one more thing...the analogix has the extra micro-usb port on the adapter itself so that you connect your charger.
This is necessary as the screen still displays the image on the phone as well as the tv and will drain the battery without it.

Braaainz

Jan 19, 2013
LG V60 ThinQ
I noticed that i didn't get audio out on the PacMan ROM with my SlimPort. I'm running a customized version of stock right now and it works great, but wouldn't mind finding other ROMs.

What ROM are you on currently with fully working SlimPort?

Protonus

Aug 7, 2008
Webster, NY
protonus.ws
I noticed that i didn't get audio out on the PacMan ROM with my SlimPort. I'm running a customized version of stock right now and it works great, but wouldn't mind finding other ROMs.

What ROM are you on currently with fully working SlimPort?
Stock 12b ROM with SkyDragon v2.9.7 kernel, and highly customized with G3 Tweaksbox.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Braaainz

Jan 19, 2013
LG V60 ThinQ
Thanks for replying. I was hoping to hear from non-stock ROMs, but I'm fairly happy with stock. If we were able to port the lg g3 camera app, i would probably jump tho.

I have two slimports currently. Both will occasionally falter for a second, going to a black screen on my tv, but otherwise I'm very happy. Much more responsive and higher quality than casting my screen over WiFi. Too bad we can not do USB OTG with a slimport tho.

Only criticism i really have with the slimport is the connection is fairly loose. I wish it clipped in better like my usual micro usb power cables.

tersagun

Jul 26, 2010
İstanbul
Hey guys,

I'm using one of the generic adapters (the one which also lets you connect microUSB for charging).
I haven't tried different HQ videos so far but is there any struggle in G3's output or could the adapter cause any lag/stutter while using HQ videos?

A 1080p video with 10k bitrate, for instance; would there be any bottleneck? Or it will be the same as playing the video directly from TV (via USB)?
Anyone with similar experiences?

Thank you.

akonvisher

Jun 3, 2015
As a SlimPort spokesperson (and a new xda member), I can help to clarify the video output features for the G3. LG switched from MHL to SlimPort with the launch of the Nexus 4 in November 2012. All subsequent LG mobile devices are SlimPort-enabled. The G3 can shoot 4K videos. However, LG chose to not support the 4K output direct to the TV. The G3 will output full bandwidth 1080p video via the SlimPort/HDMI dongle. When connected to a 4K TV, the TV will detect the 1080p signal and properly scale it to 4K. To view the 4K content, the video must be transferred via USB to a media player that supports 4K. FYI – there are no devices that support both MHL and SlimPort.

Current certified SlimPort dongles on the market work with any SlimPort enabled phones. As mentioned, you can check with the SlimPort web site to get a current list of devices that support the format and of locations to order dongles. Last February, the SlimPort 4K receiver chip (used in the dongles), ANX7738, was introduced and you should see 4K dongle products on the market later this year.

Hi. Do you know is the LG G4 support 4k output by slimport ?
Thanks

swerff

Feb 4, 2011
I've purchased 4 different makes and models of the slim port adapters.

All randomly cut in and out. Different cables, different tvs, different adapters, same phone, same results.

Lg sells no official accessory either.

I'm kinda upset. Suggestions or links?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

stainmaker

Jul 10, 2015
Hi,

I thought I'd tag onto this thread since it's fairly similar.
I recently bought a Slimport VGA adapter in the hope I could output my phone's screen to my car's display panel.

My car (Japanese import) has a navigation computer which is useless in Australia. So instead of having a useless screen molded into my dash I wanted to use my phone as essentially a CarPC. Now the neat thing is the Navigation computer connects to the display panel via RGBHV, essentially VGA.

So I made a custom cable to go from the car's display panel to a HD15 VGA plug, plugged the Slimport VGA adapter in and it worked! My phone's video output was placed on the car's display panel. But obviously very down scaled.

I figured out that my car uses 800x480 WVGA (Wide VGA) across its 7" 5:3 panel and started messing around in Terminal Emulator to change the phone's screen size with;

wm size 480x800
wm density 240

Which strangely resulted in the video being letter boxed; Big black bars top and bottom. I then tried a bunch of other standard resolutions and found that 4:3 resolutions filled the screen vertically, but were being cropped on the left and right. And 5:4 resolutions filled the screen completely, however were being stretched horizontally.

I was not able to match the native resolution of the car's display panel or have the correct aspect ratio.

Frustrated I plugged the Slimport VGA adapter into my computer monitor and it all became clear; no matter what resolution you set the phone to; the *ONLY* resolution coming out of the Slimport VGA adapter is 1280x1024 (a 5:4 aspect resolution) with whatever selection you have made with the wm size commands being stretched or scaled across this.

Which is why selecting a 5:3 resolution had black bars top and bottom inside the 5:4. And 4:3 was being cropped on the left and right. And of course a 5:4 resolution filled the screen but was stretched and not 1:1 / native.

Now my question is:

Has anyone else come across this before and found a work around or fix? Are there other Slimport adapters that have been *confirmed* to output different resolutions and not just simply scale to one fixed output size?

Thanks!

For reference: I have a rooted LG G3 D855 32gb and am running a fairly recent CM12.1 (Lollipop 5.1.1) nightly.

Sokesleezy

Jul 9, 2010

All randomly cut in and out. Different cables, different tvs, different adapters, same phone, same results.

I was afraid of this. I've only purchased one, from monoprice to connect my phone to the head unit in my car and it
it'll work for a few minutes then it cuts off showing only white snow. Can't really be too mad I guess I knew what I was buying.

Reading reviews for slimport adapters made by other companies it seems those too are hit or miss.

Is one of the ones you purchased made by analogix? Where did you get it from?

Supposedly this is the official one , and they claim to be the official distributor. I'm inclined to believe this as its linked directly from the official slimport website.

Edit: Its just one the from analogix version of it and not the "official one.

Last edited:

zumashark

Jun 10, 2014
santa clara, CA
How can that be done? How can we transfer video via USB to a media player? What would be the needed adapters, etc?

To clarify, videos/images/audio shot/stored on the phone can be transferred via a PC to a media player just using the micro-B to USB-A cable that comes with the phone (the PC detects the phone as just another external hard drive). Of course, any protected content downloaded to the phone will not play (legally) on the media player. The SlimPort adapter converts the Displayport from the SlimPort device to HDMI. It handles the HDCP copy protection "handshake" between the source and TV. It also detects the TV resolution (EDID) and sends this info to the device AP and it scales the image. There is no scaling/processing handled by the SlimPort adapter. If the HDCP handshake is lost, there will either be no video or video snow.

tiguy99

Oct 3, 2007
Chicago

Got mine from monoprice.com

Wife got for me a few weeks ago for Christmas 11.99 IIRC

Works great with the G3...no stuttering frame rates...no cutting out
See the reviews and you'll know what I mean

Sainzgc

Dec 24, 2015
My cousin tested his slimport on my lg g3, and it was running the 2k resolution very well, It's really usefull and awesome for videos and games.

CS Fan 991

Jun 12, 2013
(****)ing
Does anyone know where to buy a good quality Slimport adapter from? I have an official Samsung MHL 2.0 cable but unfortunately LG phones don't support MHL :mad: MHL supports 4K output and Slimport doesn't. Really don't know why they don't go with MHL especially since the g3 has a 2K screen. Slimport can not output any higher than 1080p... makes the 4K video recording capability useless on the g3. I also wonder how the phones 2k screen output will look on 1080p tvs :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app
I just bought one on ebay for 6.5$
There are prices between 6-12
Depends on the cable length and box
It looks good ,
I can PM you the one I bought

Sainzgc

Dec 24, 2015
I have a question.. What if i want to see phone's screen on my notebook? I got the slimport adapter and my note got hdmi port.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlimPort info

I have seen both mhl and slimport... I think it's slimport also but don't know ...A couple of the reviews stated multiple TV out .... But I know the g pro g2 flex use slimport

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

As a SlimPort spokesperson (and a new xda member), I can help to clarify the video output features for the G3. LG switched from MHL to SlimPort with the launch of the Nexus 4 in November 2012. All subsequent LG mobile devices are SlimPort-enabled. The G3 can shoot 4K videos. However, LG chose to not support the 4K output direct to the TV. The G3 will output full bandwidth 1080p video via the SlimPort/HDMI dongle. When connected to a 4K TV, the TV will detect the 1080p signal and properly scale it to 4K. To view the 4K content, the video must be transferred via USB to a media player that supports 4K. FYI – there are no devices that support both MHL and SlimPort.

Current certified SlimPort dongles on the market work with any SlimPort enabled phones. As mentioned, you can check with the SlimPort web site to get a current list of devices that support the format and of locations to order dongles. Last February, the SlimPort 4K receiver chip (used in the dongles), ANX7738, was introduced and you should see 4K dongle products on the market later this year.
    So it is confirmed the g3 won't work on the MHL 3.0 despite the LG staff confirmed that in the email?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    So it is confirmed the g3 won't work on the MHL 3.0 despite the LG staff confirmed that in the email?

Does seem odd that they said it supports 4k mhl, when the newer lg flagship phones claim to have ditched mhl in favor of slimport, maybe they know something we dont know, but i reckon it was a misunderstanding only. If it does support Mhl 3.0, this implies that the lg flagship series phones support usb 3.0, which we all know it doesnt simply because it does not have the 11 pin micro usb mhl connector, like samsung.

But interestingly enough, I do know that lg is considering usb 3.0 for g2 g3 and flex, simply because they actually HAVE added a NEW proprietary 11pin micro usb 3.0 port on all of these phones (take a look, you will see 3 extra pins on each side of the standard microusb tongue, deeper inside the connector, these are usb 3.0 lines!). Although this new connector is not compatible with mhl 3.0 connector, which implies it will likely support a different video out protocol like slimport 4k or 3.0 if you will.

Slimport 4k requires a higher bandwidth interface like usb 3.0, and since recent lg schematic drawings prove that they have wired up the new connector to handle usb 3.0, then once someone makes the 4k adapter and a mating 11 pin connector, we will then hopefully see all these phones capable of supporting 4k soon, in addition to usb 3.0 fast charging, and maybe even support usb 3.0 OTG interface!
    I don't care about 4k output actually. What I care is the support of use otg and screen output simultaneously. That's why mhl is more attractive than slimport atm. Would be disappointed if at the end G3 doesn't support mhl3.0.

Thank you for clarifying that. As you have stated that slimport 4k adapters will be released some time this year, can you confirm if the g3 will support these and be able to output in 4k rather than upscale?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

The new dongles will work on the G3, however, 4K output is not supported by the G3 circuitry so the output would still be high bitrate 1080p. A 4K TV would detect the 1080p signal and scale it to 4K. Best to check with LG on their product plans for 4K support in the future.