PlayView For CardsUI - Social Contribution Milestone

Search This thread

Mazy

Jun 25, 2008
Nice work.

Haven't looked at this thread for a while but I had to when I saw the post in Android Design.

If we ever need to add stacked cards to Jiffy we know where to look now. :)

(Original design was actually by Lorica Claesson at Nordic Usability GmbH. She is responsible for all the design and workflows in Jiffy. I just implemented it)

Reactions: Androguide.fr

Androguide.fr

Account currently disabled
Jul 21, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
Nice work.

Haven't looked at this thread for a while but I had to when I saw the post in Android Design.

If we ever need to add stacked cards to Jiffy we know where to look now. :)

(Original design was actually by Lorica Claesson at Nordic Usability GmbH. She is responsible for all the design and workflows in Jiffy. I just implemented it)
Thanks a lot.

Great work on the changelog concept you posted on google+, too :good:
I was thinking maybe you could use ShowcaseView as a base to actually implement it.

Mazy

Jun 25, 2008
I've been looking at showcaseview before, right after we implemented the startup tutorial (since I already had my code i didn't switch it). I will look at it and see if it fits our purpose..

Do you know if it handles pure screens without the "look through" to the bottom layer? (easier to ask than check :) )

Androguide.fr

Jul 21, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
I've been looking at showcaseview before, right after we implemented the startup tutorial (since I already had my code i didn't switch it). I will look at it and see if it fits our purpose..

Do you know if it handles pure screens without the "look through" to the bottom layer? (easier to ask than check :) )

By default it doesn't, but it would be trivial to adapt it, maybe even just deleting the "look through" circle from the drawables could do the trick.
You can define the color of the overlay so you would just set it to black and call setAlpha() on the underlaying view to get the text on the overlay readable enough.

D-FUSE

Oct 11, 2010
Panama City(Got to love the beach)
So been just playing around. Set a tab icon in java. Lol.

Screenshot_2013-04-30-17-59-21_zps57d3a879.png

P.s. I'm very new to java. I just know simple stuff like web view and sound bite apps.

Here is what I did for who wants to know.

Code:
tab1.setIcon(R.drawable.icon);

Last edited:

RED_

Jan 5, 2011
London
I'm creating a sound bite application. Those who have experience with this library; what do you guys think? Could it work? On the first few pages the cards would act like buttons,. Taking the user to various categories for the sound bites. There might be sub categories.

Only then do we get to the sounds. Then each card can be a sound. Easy enough I presume?

My only worry is for things like progress bars, to see how long the sound lasts. Just like any media player, showing you the start, end and moves as you listen to more.

Two things from this, can it all work and is it lag free? I expect my app to be quite big if I'm honest. Size wise.

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
I'm creating a sound bite application. Those who have experience with this library; what do you guys think? Could it work? On the first few pages the cards would act like buttons,. Taking the user to various categories for the sound bites. There might be sub categories.

Only then do we get to the sounds. Then each card can be a sound. Easy enough I presume?

My only worry is for things like progress bars, to see how long the sound lasts. Just like any media player, showing you the start, end and moves as you listen to more.

Two things from this, can it all work and is it lag free? I expect my app to be quite big if I'm honest. Size wise.

I think that the laggyness depends on the phone model. ;)

RED_

Jan 5, 2011
London
That makes sense, of course a lot of people are on 2.3 so they may have older phones and therefore laggy ones.

I'm thinking of a sliding menu as well. Much like the YouTube app.

RED_

Jan 5, 2011
London
I like those sliding menus. :)

Well, my phone is on 4.2.2, but has 278 MB of RAM. (plus 128 MB swap added by me. :)) However, I have not tried this library.

Yeah some of the libraries out that for sliding menus look great. It would minimize the amount of categories a user of my app would have to jump through as well.

I have a ICS phone with 1GB of RAM, laggy as hell. Probably the ROM rather than my phone. I use my Nexus 7 for most things so it doesn't bother me these days.

GadgetCheck

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2010
Bangalore
checkrom.com
From my experience in app development.

Dont use SlidingMenu or Tabs or card etc for the sake of using it or the eye candy.

First do a rough plot of ur app on paper see what is the most important features and UI transition.

Based on it choose the most appropriate UI/UX techniques. i.e cards or drawers or tabs or simple lists.

And considering speed well it all depends on the quality of code u write, library's can be enhanced if u want then to suit ur need for speed. But always remember if you are a beginner "writing low quality code is the steping stone to writing some of the best code", so keep improving and improvising your code.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Wetzel402

Androguide.fr

Jul 21, 2012
GB
meettomy.site

You can pretty much do anything you want with the cards by modifying the library, here are some screenshots from an app I'm working on, all the cards you see and all their components are called programmatically.
I'll try to post a little guide on how to add your own constructors to the library, whenever I got some time. It's really quick and easy once you got the hang of it.

Screenshots

apkreator1.png
apkreator2.png
apkreator3.png
apkreator4.png

While it might not be perfectly smooth (especially when tapping on a card to make it come to the top of the stack. swiping is pretty smooth now) a little tip to make it smoother/less buggy-looking is to always nest the CardUI view in a RelativeLayout.
Otherwise, in a LinearLayout for example, the layout will only resize once the animation is finished, resulting in the cards being kinda cut at the bottom during the transition.

Last edited:
Reactions: RiThBo and nikwen

nikwen

Feb 1, 2013
Berlin, Germany
www.nikwen.de
You can pretty much do anything you want with the cards by modifying the library, here are some screenshots from an app I'm working on, all the cards you see and all their components are called programmatically.
I'll try to post a little guide on how to add your own constructors to the library, whenever I got some time. It's really quick and easy once you got the hang of it.

Screenshots

apkreator1.png
apkreator2.png
apkreator3.png
apkreator4.png

While it might not be perfectly smooth (especially when tapping on a card to make it come to the top of the stack. swiping is pretty smooth now) a little tip to make it smoother/less buggy-looking is to always nest the CardUI view in a RelativeLayout.
Otherwise, in a LinearLayout for example, the layout will only resize once the animation is finished, resulting in the cards being kinda cut at the bottom during the transition.

The app looks nice. :good:

Androguide.fr

Jul 21, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
The app looks nice. :good:

Thanks a lot.
It's an app inspired by http://codecademy.com, it will basically allow people to learn & teach android development through interactive tutorials and exercises, and maybe even allow the user to build the apks written during the tutorials.

Here is what a lesson looks like, currently :

screenshot2013051420471.png
screenshot2013051420483.png
screenshot2013051420475.png
screenshot2013051421081.png
screenshot2013051420475.png

The reset code button spins the editor while resetting the code:
screenshot2013051420483.png

Last edited:
Reactions: nikwen

jetx2x

Jun 21, 2012
this is awesome... was wanting to build a calendar app with google's new design concepts... makes it so much easier now... thinking maybe I should contribute by releasing a similarly themed grid view implementation

Androguide.fr

Jul 21, 2012
GB
meettomy.site
this is awesome... was wanting to build a calendar app with google's new design concepts... makes it so much easier now... thinking maybe I should contribute by releasing a similarly themed grid view implementation

Actually, there's already a multi-column implementation, but it's buggy with stacks.
To change the amount of columns simply modify the mColumnNumber variable in /views/CardUI.java (it's set to 1 by default).

If you wanna take a shot at fixing stacks in multi-columns, go ahead, would be much appreciated :good:

jetx2x

Jun 21, 2012
Actually, there's already a multi-column implementation, but it's buggy with stacks.
To change the amount of columns simply modify the mColumnNumber variable in /views/CardUI.java (it's set to 1 by default).

If you wanna take a shot at fixing stacks in multi-columns, go ahead, would be much appreciated :good:

I'm not all that experienced yet but ill give it a shot :D

Reactions: nikwen

Top Liked Posts