Snapdragon root [waiting room] discussion

Search This thread

jam51dill

Apr 7, 2019
I think this thread is needed. I am an HK snapdragon S10 owner and really want root, I tried the method that is available which some claim is only for Exynos but no official word of it that I found but after flashing patched firmware, phone wouldn't go into recovery. Unless I did something wrong it doesn't work for Snap. Flash back OG firmware.

REGARDLESS, this thread I feel is needed to discuss this and methods, etc etc etc. This is mainly for HK Snaps but U.S Snaps can join this thread too but doubt there will be anything for it.

jonathanfv

Nov 25, 2013
Hmm, I thought of trying on mine too, but I don't have time to do it until May. Good to know you didn't brick your phone. I'll give it a shot when I have time too just in case.

Did anyone else try it?

jonathanfv

Nov 25, 2013
Yeah, I read he got to Odin stalling at verifying his patched file or something. Doesn't mean it doesn't work tho. I want to try for myself when I have time, unless more people try and they all say it doesn't work. Also, maybe we could try with Heimdall on Linux.

jam51dill

Apr 7, 2019
Yea I think he did but for me it flashed my file fine, just the next step I couldn't get to work, booting to recovery.

jonathanfv

Nov 25, 2013
Based on the documentation, I think that pressing the buttons right for booting sounds a bit finicky. Even for accessing download mode on my phone when I unlocked it, the button combination wouldn't work right away. Same for standard recovery, I had to use adb to boot to recovery for the first time, then after that only did doing it via the buttons worked. I'm wondering if it could be something like that that was the problem for you. Like, I wouldn't necessarily assume it doesn't work at the moment, even though I doubt it works with the SD variants. I think it deserves more tries from more people.

jam51dill

Apr 7, 2019
I agree, it could just be fails on my part, I may try again but once I flashed back to OG it had to wipe my data and don't want that to happen again unless I know root will work. I wish topjohnwu would state if it works on snap. So many people asked him on twitter but no answer.

jonathanfv

Nov 25, 2013
I agree, it could just be fails on my part, I may try again but once I flashed back to OG it had to wipe my data and don't want that to happen again unless I know root will work. I wish topjohnwu would state if it works on snap. So many people asked him on twitter but no answer.

Yeah, I asked him too. And it's why I'm waiting for next month before trying it myself. I don't have time to go through the process right now, but I'm down to try it a couple times in a row once I have time.

Ndaoud360

Oct 19, 2009
I guess I'll join this thread too. Haven't tried the root method but don't want to risk unless I know for a fact it works in HK.

mains75

Mar 1, 2014
I'm waiting to buy s10e snap for this reason. No root, no buy..
I choose Android because of its freedom vs Apple system. I want to do anything with MY phone.
Root should always be allowed, and each user then takes the conscious risk!

Ndaoud360

Oct 19, 2009
Not 100 on it but I asked some guy who knows his stuff and has done some root for older HK Samsungs like Note 9 etc. Hes saying I need to compile a kernel with root protections etc removed, patch with Magisk and flash in Odin. Then you'll be rooted. For me specifically, the HK S10 kernel source is not out. Got to request it and wait. All of this could get us root. If someone wants to try this method with the HK S10 Plus or e since those kernel sources are already out, that would be nice to see if it works.

Reactions: dtowngs4g

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yes, but maybe the files to download and the links are different

Magisk root confirmed on my Hong Kong G9570 Unlocked Snapdragon using Ian's latest patched Magisk APK and the latest April firmware :good:
    Great to hear.

Did you use the @ianmacd Magisk or the official Magisk?
    What firmware did you use? CHC or TGY?

i use ianmacd magisk and TGY firmware , and same procedure than before but this times i am able at step9 to boot in stock recovery and wipe data
    Some updates:

I`ve downloaded latest TWRP and custom ROM(ASG7 base ) from Chinese friends: link gonna expire in 2 weeks.
    To get properly working twrp you have to flash twrp with odin - then boot into into, wipe data and install chinese custom rom.
    @ianmacd can you please post the new compiled
    .apk for magisk here so the people on snapdragon can have a try. @PiCkLeS

I compiled that 2 days ago, as soon as John committed the code.

Are you not running an ianmacd build of Magisk? If you are, updating to the latest Magisk code is as simple as updating through the Magisk Manager app.

Note that the ianmacd builds are often newer than even the canary builds, so if there are commits that you don't yet see in canary, the latest ianmacd build usually has them.
    Two pictures of it working