Gen1 to Gen2 TPT Upgrade

Search This thread

raizor6th

Mar 27, 2012
i like to do that but i lost the file, maybe i can compile one but i am not going to test it. and i think it takes some time for me to do that since i need to figure out the proceedure again.

musicgeek

Oct 9, 2008
I guess you made an image.bin then? can you share it or upload the tpt that worked for you? As far as I know, nobody has posted a tpt or windows flasher files that successfully repartition a 512mb v880. It's good to share :) Or must we all re-invent the wheel?

Thanks again

If your device is a PH made ZTE Blade gen2 a.k.a. Smart Netphone 701, I might be able to help you with a custom layout from another site. Just PM me for instructions as I'm prohibited from posting links. Consequently, you may flash custom ROMS requiring 160mb system partition. I managed to solve the compatibility issue with my Blade through this. Might also nail it for China variants. Prior to this, Amphora's layout didn't worked for me when I flashed custom roms. I too lost my phone signal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will convert your Gen1 phone to Gen2 & boot into ClockworkMod for you to install your rom. You will lose your data. Make any backups you want first. Gen1 nandroid backups wont restore on a Gen2 phone. Always check MD5s, one way to do it is to download AFV (Android File Verifier) from the Android Market, search for AFV.

It is for European Gen1 ZTE Blades, Orange San Franciscos, Sapo A5s & Base Luteas sold with Android 2.1 Eclair only. None of the downloads on this page will work if your phone was sold with or operator upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo. In that case, you already have the upgraded radio firmware. This is a safer alternative to the operator 2.2 upgrades which keeps some of the good features of Gen1 (like fastboot mode, tpt mode & extra storage space), but upgrades everything necessary to run Gen2 Android 2.2 Froyo & Android 2.3 Gingerbread roms.

Custom rom version (should work well with most custom roms, more room for your apps & data)
    Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v10-custom.zip
    File size: 16.30 MB
    MD5: 3b41b8c9dbf06cd9c33f91a728885633
    SHA1: 4d8cafd9556ade12ef105be36aacb9725ec3bb89
    Partitions: 2mb cache, 160mb system, 294mb data

Alternative version - enough space to install most gen2 stock roms
    Download: Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v10-stock.zip mirror
    Download size: 16.3mb
    MD5: ae0207cd88429a062d8b1770b3acd2c4
    SHA1: 2ccc4cd531d00465559a2edb56aa07ee31deabee
    Partitions: 37.5mb cache, 215mb system, 203.5mb data

CM Nightly 257 Version (Upgrades from Gen1 to Gen2 & installs latest CyanogenMod nightly build - all in one)
    Download: cm7-n257-blade-gen1-to-gen2-tpt.zip mirror
    Download size: 107.8 MB
    MD5: 813ba810ca0a596da4eb6ea7e47205a1
    SHA1: 11030dff7b48c79463185b25fc848d488fe77768

Instructions
    Copy a Gen2 rom zip file to your sd card ready to install. Check the md5sum of that against the source (you can use AFV for this).

Unzip this Gen2 TPT zip file to your sd card, it should create an image directory.

Check the nandroid.md5 file in the image directory on your sd card using AFV on your phone (long press on nandroid.md5 file, then Verify Nandroid Backup)

Power off, wait a few seconds, then power on with menu & vol+ held.

It should take a few seconds to flash the new Gen2 firmware (you should see some green text), then it should reboot into ClockworkMod recovery, use that to wipe data & then install your Gen2 rom.

Once installed, remove the image directory from your sd card, to prevent accidentally reinstalling. Once you have installed this just vol+ & power on will send you back into tpt mode if there is an image directory, even if you needed menu & vol+ before.

It is reversible using any Gen1 full TPT (links below), but this will only work on phones that have been upgraded using this method, not phones bought with Gen2 or upgraded with the windows software.

Going back to Gen1

If you upgraded to Gen2 using the above TPT, then going back to Gen1 is easy & safe (if not, sorry, out of luck here). You can install any Gen1 TPT to go back to Gen1, but make sure that it contains a Gen1 amss.mbn & amsshd.mbn use the same method described above, with the files listed below.

Here is Gen1 with stock partitions & ClockworkMod 3.0.14 (16.4mb) -
    Download: Gen2-to-Gen1-TPT-v2-stock.zip mirror
    MD5: fddc02f6f48a53910c317fbef38cf7e4
    Partitions: 42mb cache,207mb system,208mb data

Orange 'B20' Android 2.1 Stock TPT - This will reset your phone back to factory condition if you have a UK Orange San Francisco.
    Download: OUK-B20-Gen1-TPT.zip
    MD5: cf0fd68dc0fc33611c751b32ad3fb10f
    Partitions: 42mb cache,207mb system,208mb data

Safety
    Charge your phone first, make sure it's well charged before doing any TPT, but remove it from the charger before you TPT.
    Check the MD5 of any files, they're there for a reason. AFV from the android market will help you to check the files on your phone, there is a nandroid.md5 file to check.
    There is a nandroid.md5 file in the image directory, check that when it's on your phone, using AFV from Android Market.
    There is a small risk of breaking your phone with any TPT flash.
    No guarantees, no warranty, no support.
    Remove the image directory from your sd card after install, to prevent accidental wipe & re-installs in future.
    Then what should be the size of/cache for good functioning of market on any ROM

Most custom roms don't need any /cache because they redirect it to /data or a ramdisk. Clockworkmod also stores log files there, so if it's under 2mb that gives errors.

The stock /cache size for gen2 is 37.5mb, 42mb for gen1. If it's using that for market downloads then you can't download anything bigger than the space available on /cache.
    I didn't create the TPT helper, so I can't give any support for that.

The green text should be on the screen while it is flashing the rom, it should be a list of files with a percentage next to each to show how much has been flashed, that should only take a minute, then it should reboot, if you flashed a tpt with a rom included then the first boot may take a while.
    Hey wbaw I had previously updated my blade from Gen1 to Gen2 (using 140 mb system tpt). For CM7 I wanted 160 mb system partition, so I used this v9 tpt image.
    But now my phone is not getting past big green Android Logo. I cannot even enter recovery mode :(
    What could be the solution? thanks

PS: I checked md5 before flashing

Did you check the md5 on the phone, like it says in the instructions? You need to check the md5 of all the files after they're extracted to the phone's sd card in case there was any error copying. That's why I say to download & use AFV (other apps are available, or 'md5sum -c /sdcard/image/nandroid.md5' from a command line does the same.)

Did you seen some green text while it was flashing?

Do you own a microsd card reader? (if not, buy one, Poundland & other cheap shops sell them).

Assuming that it did actually flash & you're not just stuck in fastboot mode. The only thing you can do to fix it is try another TPT, or the same one again.

Use a microsd card reader to put the tpt files on your phone's sd card, safely remove it, then put the card back in the reader & check the md5sum in the image directory on your sd card. Then put it back in your phone & try again.

If you didn't get any green text, then it didn't flash & you're in fastboot mode, you just need to pull the battery out. Some sd cards seem incompatible & wont perform a tpt flash.

Finally, 140mb system is (just) enough for CM 7.1 & the latest gapps, there should be about 2mb free. That might change in the future & some other roms are bigger, that's why I made the recent versions 160mb. There is always a (small) risk of breaking your phone each time you do a TPT flash, even if you do everything right, so it should only be done if necessary.
    Maybe I was lucky not to destroy my phone when I even intent it to. appsboot.mbn didn't match but partition_zte.mbn matched in every TPT version and by trying different combination of TPTs led me solved the problem and achieved what i was wanting in doing a partition(160mb system 279mb data and 2mb cahe) in the first place. i guess noone has ever tried it in a chinese blade.