[Q] note 3 beginner questions before custom rom install

Search This thread

mjneil.81

Nov 13, 2010
Hi,

I am looking at flashing some custom roms to see which one I like, I have got root by using the cf-auto root by cahinfire but, before I begin I just want to make sure that I back every thing up correctly to avoid any trouble further down the line.
As I understand it ( I use the term 'understand' loosely ) I need to back up the EFS folder and imei
Is that all that is needed? or is there something else that i should do? essentially I would just like to ensure that I can revert back to a stock rom, im not that concerned about knox or warranty. Im sorry if this has been brought up before but as a novice I would appreciate some assistance in gaining a proper understanding of the requirements before starting off

thanks

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Backing up EFS has it's pros and cons - I done it, but then I got a mess up, and restoring my EFS did not work. I had to run the fire script posted in the dev section (this script rebuilds your EFS partition so it can be read properly again) - I have seen countless users brick their devices by backing up EFS with bad/rogue apps, so if you go this method, choose very very wisely.

My advice, install CWM, and make a back up via that. - it'll see you right. - If by chance you do get a mess up, you can run the fire script by firausman in the dev section and it'll fix unknown baseband and bootlooping errors.

Ultimately, I cannot stress that you read as much as you can and are aware of the potential what can and does happen, what cannot happen and ultimately can you fix it if something does go wrong.

EDIT:: here is the SCRIPT if you do indeed need it, keep it on your extSD Card for just in case reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjneil.81

mjneil.81

Nov 13, 2010
Backing up EFS has it's pros and cons - I done it, but then I got a mess up, and restoring my EFS did not work. I had to run the fire script posted in the dev section (this script rebuilds your EFS partition so it can be read properly again) - I have seen countless users brick their devices by backing up EFS with bad/rogue apps, so if you go this method, choose very very wisely.

My advice, install CWM, and make a back up via that. - it'll see you right. - If by chance you do get a mess up, you can run the fire script by firausman in the dev section and it'll fix unknown baseband and bootlooping errors.

Ultimately, I cannot stress that you read as much as you can and are aware of the potential what can and does happen, what cannot happen and ultimately can you fix it if something does go wrong.

EDIT:: here is the SCRIPT if you do indeed need it, keep it on your extSD Card for just in case reasons.

Thanks for the reply and advice Radicalisto.
I will check out CWM and how and what that backs up. If I take a guess now it will make an image of my current system that can be restored? If so does that ensure a back up of efs folder?

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
I will check out CWM and how and what that backs up. If I take a guess now it will make an image of my current system that can be restored? If so does that ensure a back up of efs folder?

CWM offers an EFS backup yes, it has to be done seperate to the IMAGE back up though. Also note if you back up a 4.3 ROM on MJ7 firmware you cannot downgrade to a lower version ie: MJ1-2-3-4-5-6 etc - you can go to MK2 and back to MJ7 though.

Similar if you back up a 4.3 and upgrade to 4.4.2 then that backup becomes useless as it cannot be restored.

CWM - Install custom ROM, keep that script I posted close by, and you'll be 100% :good:

mjneil.81

Nov 13, 2010
CWM offers an EFS backup yes, it has to be done seperate to the IMAGE back up though. Also note if you back up a 4.3 ROM on MJ7 firmware you cannot downgrade to a lower version ie: MJ1-2-3-4-5-6 etc - you can go to MK2 and back to MJ7 though.

Similar if you back up a 4.3 and upgrade to 4.4.2 then that backup becomes useless as it cannot be restored.

CWM - Install custom ROM, keep that script I posted close by, and you'll be 100% :good:

Thanks alot for your assistance im going to get the back up sorted and read up some more there is fair bit that i need to understand before flashing

Reactions: radicalisto

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Wise words my friend. Read up and understand are the two most important words of advice anyone can give and words that anyone should take heed of.

Good luck, if you run into problems, just holler :good:

Last edited:

mjneil.81

Nov 13, 2010
Wise words my friend. Read up and understand are the two most important words of advice anyone can give and words that anyone should take heed of.

so far the best thing I have come up with is to flash the latest 4.4.2 stock rom, I think this is the best option until some of the custom ROMs develop along a bit further.

but this leeds to a few more questions (I hope its not too much of a bother) Im going ( i think) to download the rom from Firmwares|SamMobile but it will be from another country(im in Australia) could this affect the perfomance of the phone in anyway or can I just flash other modems/radios in order to fix any problems that may occur?

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
so far the best thing I have come up with is to flash the latest 4.4.2 stock rom, I think this is the best option until some of the custom ROMs develop along a bit further.

but this leeds to a few more questions (I hope its not too much of a bother) Im going ( i think) to download the rom from Firmwares|SamMobile but it will be from another country(im in Australia) could this affect the perfomance of the phone in anyway or can I just flash other modems/radios in order to fix any problems that may occur?

So long as your note isn't a Hong Kong model you're alright, Here is a faster download link for XEO (Stock Polish ROM) - So long as it's an Intl N9005 (not HK) should be fine :)

mjneil.81

Nov 13, 2010
ok now I have a problem I just tried to root the phone again with cf autoroot and its stuck in a boot loop. I cant get it back in download mode or recovery any suggestions

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks alot for your assistance im going to get the back up sorted and read up some more there is fair bit that i need to understand before flashing

So long as your note isn't a Hong Kong model you're alright, Here is a faster download link for XEO (Stock Polish ROM) - So long as it's an Intl N9005 (not HK) should be fine :)