From VZW to ST (Succesfully)

Search This thread

bikoman1

Dec 2, 2008
Wow, I thought I would not get LTE, but driving through a couple of states yesterday, I noticed I get LTE in different markets.....

speedeffex1

Mar 31, 2014
4g lte works

I recently put my st sim into my i545 and i saw the 4g lte icon popup i ran speedtest and got 10 mbps

alphastorm1

Jan 29, 2014
state college
I have searched all over. Thankgod for this thread! I am going to walmart and buying that sim tomorrow. Do I need to cancel my verizon account first? I hope my model number SCHI545ZWV will work. Wish me luck!

Reactions: McTerry

alphastorm1

Jan 29, 2014
state college
Let us know what you do and if it will be on Verizon or att towers I'm also looking to switch.

I bought the activation kit today. I filled out the registration/activation. I am now waiting for them to port my number over. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Big Big thanks to the OP. Everything is working. I am getting H+ connection. Ping 171, Download 1.29, Upload 0.47. The only problem I had was that ST didn't port my number for me when I filled out all the info online. I had to call and give them info about my old account to get my number ported from Verizon. I am now so happy I am no longer paying $80 per month. $45 is almost half off. Good riddance to Verizon. Now my next task is to root my phone so I can get rid of all the verizon bloat ware. The OP is right, you'll get a +1 in front of your calls from contacts. I don't understand why that is but for now, I'm just coping and pasting to make calls.

I also want to reiterate that ST's site tells you this phone is incompatible. You can call them and they will tell you the same. Just follow the OP instructions and it should work. Thanks again to the OP.

Last edited:

alphastorm1

Jan 29, 2014
state college
Update

This is day 3 after getting it to work on Straight talk.

I decided to root my device. I have done rooting in the past so it's pretty easy. I went here and followed the instructions for Galaxy S4 Root on android 4.3 MJ7 and MK2 http://youtu.be/uii_mYm8IGE. Make sure you have 4.3 and MJ7 or MK2 build. If not, go look thru the next link.

The guide to all other types of rooting is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2337590

After rooting, I downloaded an app called ROM Toolbox Lite. You need root access to run it. Basically, it's a toolbox with tons of options. I mostly got it to remove bloatware. You can find this app in the google play store. Open the app, then goto app manager. Then I proceeded to delete about 30% of the Verizon junk that was originally installed. The OP chose to install a new ROM. That is an option if you don't like the stock ROM. If you did that, it will essentially remove the bloatware as well. That is up to you. I'm still messing around with it but if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Aug 18, 2011
California
I did the transfer and it worked perfectly as well. I was concerned since the site was telling me my phone wasn't compatible on the byop page but ended up just throwing the sim card in there and activating it (as well as inputting that information on the first page and setting the phone up to receive gsm signal, which I think is awesome in itself!). It was cool for the month but I ended up reactivating my verizon plan since I have unlimited data.

cmlucht

Jul 21, 2007
spokane
I bought the activation kit today. I filled out the registration/activation. I am now waiting for them to port my number over. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Big Big thanks to the OP. Everything is working. I am getting H+ connection. Ping 171, Download 1.29, Upload 0.47. The only problem I had was that ST didn't port my number for me when I filled out all the info online. I had to call and give them info about my old account to get my number ported from Verizon. I am now so happy I am no longer paying $80 per month. $45 is almost half off. Good riddance to Verizon. Now my next task is to root my phone so I can get rid of all the verizon bloat ware. The OP is right, you'll get a +1 in front of your calls from contacts. I don't understand why that is but for now, I'm just coping and pasting to make calls.

I also want to reiterate that ST's site tells you this phone is incompatible. You can call them and they will tell you the same. Just follow the OP instructions and it should work. Thanks again to the OP.

do safestrap and install hyperdrive

Reactions: heatherlyn

alphastorm1

Jan 29, 2014
state college
I did the transfer and it worked perfectly as well. I was concerned since the site was telling me my phone wasn't compatible on the byop page but ended up just throwing the sim card in there and activating it (as well as inputting that information on the first page and setting the phone up to receive gsm signal, which I think is awesome in itself!). It was cool for the month but I ended up reactivating my verizon plan since I have unlimited data.

Unless things have changed, you will lose unlimited data if you sign a new contract or get a new phone. That is one of the reasons I switched. They forced me into getting their 6GB data plan when I bought the S4.

do safestrap and install hyperdrive

Not a fan of Hyperdrive.

Last edited:

TheTechnicalBoss

Feb 17, 2013
sites.google.com
So I went on straightalk.com and went under byop and this message appeared after I entered my imei number and zip code : Your phone is eligible for the Bring Your Own Phone program but unfortunately Straight Talk does not offer service for your phone in the ZIP Code entered (#####). Please enter a different ZIP Code." Does that mean that my phone won't have service ?:/

McTerry

My pleasure, somewhere in there is info on an App I found that auto removes the + sign on the numbers for you.

So I went on straightalk.com and went under byop and this message appeared after I entered my imei number and zip code : Your phone is eligible for the Bring Your Own Phone program but unfortunately Straight Talk does not offer service for your phone in the ZIP Code entered (#####). Please enter a different ZIP Code." Does that mean that my phone won't have service ?:/

Your best bet is to check the coverage map for ST and see if you are in a covered area.

TheTechnicalBoss

Feb 17, 2013
sites.google.com
The map says I have coverage plus my parents have straight talk and it work amazing the thing is we have mostly Verizon towers rather than at&t and T-Mobile so idk if that effects it or will it work fine even tho it says that my zip code has no coverage when my parents have galaxy centuras under straight talk

McTerry

The map says I have coverage plus my parents have straight talk and it work amazing the thing is we have mostly Verizon towers rather than at&t and T-Mobile so idk if that effects it or will it work fine even tho it says that my zip code has no coverage when my parents have galaxy centuras under straight talk

Yea, I don't know about that one then. I think the only available SIM cards are for ATT and TM, which I am guessing would not work on a VZW tower unless it's alloted, but I have no idea how to check that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, it worked! I had crossed fingers and a chest full of dread as I began the move from Verizon to Straight Talk. Read many a post that said it could be done, some that said it couldn't, and a few nightmare posts about something going wrong. I did this with a rooted, but otherwise un-modded Galaxy S4. No added ROM's, kernels, or hacked or cracked anything. I'm not even sure you need to root it, but I was bored the other day and thought I would give it a shot.

I went to Straight Talk and ordered the SIM card kit for the BYOP program which was a $55 investment with the 30 day time card. I chose the AT&T Micro Sim Package which doesn't matter as the SIM I received was a normal sized SIM with a micro break away cut out as well.
    I fired up the Registration/Activation page from Straight Talk, filled out all the info being sure to use the SIM card serial in place of the MEID/IMEI, and ported over my number from Verizon. Verizon has no PIN, you just need to provide them with your Verizon password for your account.
    After that, I called ST which was a PITA, but I wanted to make sure everything went through fine. After hearing the verbal warning about how the SCH-I454 may or may not work with their service, and hearing how there is no refunds for the SIM card or the time card, I said go ahead and activate the SIM. He did so after reading me about three pages of BS and then telling me it could take up to 2 days for the number to be ported.

I continued to play with the phone with the VZW SIM in it until it went dead (about 30 minutes later), then switched out the SIM and began the conversion.

Added new APN settings as follows:
    settings/connections/more networks/mobile networks/access point names

CHECK Updated Photos for Newest APN:
    2nvxic3.png

15ge877.png

j75awg.png

302bes1.png

These are Older (Do Not Use):
    APN Name: Straight Talk
    APN: tfdata
    Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
    Port: 80
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS Port: 80
    APN type: default,mms,supl

Save and restart the phone.
    (Note: At first I had no data, after freaking out and searching the website in a panic. I was starting to lose hope when I looked down and noticed, hey there it is. So just give it a minute or two before you panic.)

Global Mode Speed Test Results with 2 bars of H service: 253 Ping - 0.98 Mbps Down - 0.58 Mbps Up
    GSM Mode Speed Test Results with 2 bars of H service: 351 Ping - 1.63 Mbps Down - 0.38 Mbps Up

Global Mode vs. GSM Mode:
    Make sure your phone is set to Global Mode or GSM Mode by going here:
    settings/connections/more networks/mobile networks/network mode

Voicemail:
    I noticed I had a Voicemail icon, but when I clicked on it, it routed me into the *63 loop of "Call can not be completed, blah blah".
    This is due to Verizon using a different access for voicemail than ST. It is easily fixed.
    Go to settings/my device/call/voicemail settings/voicemail numbers
    and enter your cell number.
    Now when you click on the VM icon or press and hold the 1 key, it will take you to your VM.
    If you have a VM icon stuck on your screen, simply call your cell from a different number, leave a VM, then retrieve and delete it and it should disappear.

Verizon Bloatware Removal (sort of):
    I figured since I wasn't on Verizon anymore, I could go ahead and get rid of the VZW bloatware all over this thing. There are ways to do it, that I found on these forums but I'm not very savvy when it comes to installing ROM's and such on phones so I chose to just play it safe and go to
    settings/more/applications manager/all
    and Turning Off everything that said or started with "Verizon".

Day 2: Continuation of Self Education
    So I started receiving annoying pop up messages asking me to sign into my Verizon account. I could menu tab out of it, but it was mucho annoying. So I started digging deeper into this glorious website and the forums and learning about Safe Strap, ROM's, and flashing modules.
    This led me down a bright path.

I ended up following the directions on this site in regards to installing Safe Strap v3.71 from Hashcode and the RootJunky (Tomsgt) Youtube installation video. Backing up the Stock ROM and then decided on the Hyperdrive RLS14 from sbreen94. Following the directions as outlined in the RootJunky (Tomsgt) YouTube videos, everything installed easily and I had zero issues.
    Now in order to use Safe Strap, you will need root access, but finding that information on here is fairly easy. Easiest way is to search for the Tomsgt post where he links a lot of his videos. I believe it is even a sticky.

If like me, you are brand new to this whole thing and a little intimidated, it's okay. Just take your time, don't get in any hurry. Watch the installation videos prior to beginning your own installation, and just be careful. You are in good hands here.

Continued Discovery:
    One of the side effects of switching over to ST from VZW was the addition of having the + sign added to calls in the call log. Now this didn't affect making calls or sending texts via your contact list, but if you tried to call back from the call log, the carrier assumed you were trying to make an international call and would drop it.
    There is no way to fix it via the Calling options in settings but I did find a work around. An app by the name of Prefixer, put out by 253°Below (253below.com).
    With this app, you can set rules to drop the + sign from outgoing and incoming calls. It's still going to show up in your call log, but when you tap a name or missed call to call them back, Prefixer automatically removes the added symbol and everything works like a peach!

Reclaiming Device Space:
    Flashed HyperDrive RLS15 over the stock ROM this morning. Flashed the Modules before reboot and after install. Only issue I had was TouchWiz Home crashing on occasion, but a kindly soul on here told me it looked like it was an issue associated with restoring data. Although I didn't restore data, I also chose to just flash over the Stock ROM and use the installers Wipe/Factory Reset option instead of wiping the ROM slot first (Dumb move). All I had to do was boot into recovery with SafeStrap and Wipe the new ROM, reboot, and good to go. Now have close to 6Gigs of free space on the Flashed Stock ROM.

Update 13th April 2014 at 10:52 AM:
    Over a month in now and everything is still working fine!

Update 30th April 2014 at 06:36 PM:
    Got a new job that takes me all over the state of California and can absolutely confirm that I have 4G LTE from ST on this phone, with the above APN, when I am in an area that supports it.

Update 25th November 2015 at 03:57 AM:
    Just upgraded to 4.4.2 VRUFNC5 using the info posted by Surge1223, as well as Hyperdrive RLS20 by sbreen94. Everything still working like a charm.
    I just moved to ST, I am getting Hspa+ speeds most places. I will take that for $45 a month compared to $80+ :D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
    Let us know what you do and if it will be on Verizon or att towers I'm also looking to switch.

I just contacted Straight Talk customer service via chat yesterday and asked if Verizon sims were available for 4g Verizon phones. They asked for the MEID and said that my Verizon S4 qualified for the BYOD program. Their customer service said I could put the Verizon S4 on their network. I double verified that I was not going to be sent an AT&T or T-Mobile sim and was told it was a sim for Verizon 4g LTE phones. So, I guess we'll see in the next 7 to 10 days if it is an actual Verizon sim.

I know they sell Verizon LTE branded Straight Talk phones, so it seems possible. It's kinda of vague when you go on their site to purchase a BYOD sim if your getting a Verizon sim, but they require you enter the MEID and when I tried it I was prompted that my phone qualified. So, that's when I got on the chat to see if this was acurate.
    I switched to ST with my Verizon s4 everything works great. 4g lte and h+. I use a lil different APN settings tho : Everything is the same except I leave Proxy EMPTY and APN Type i add hipri . The no proxy is so speed tests will work and the hipri is High Priority. The hipri might be why mine stays on 4g lte most of the time and some of you dont. I dont know for sure. The H+ im getting is Dual Cell HSDPA (DC-HSDPA), known also as Dual Carrier 42.2 Mbit/s so even if I didnt have 4g lte here i wouldnt care.

PS:
    I also enabled all LTE bands in service menu (*#27663368378#)
    LTE Band 4 is whats picking up 4g.

LTE: Straight Talk
    BAND 2= 1900MHZ
    BAND 4= 1700MHZ
    BAND 12= 700MHZ
    BAND 17=also 700MHZ Freq
    AWS 1700 and PCS 1900 band
    I thought i seen Band 14 active for a second but I can not confirm.
    These are the MAIN BANDS you will get:
    GSM 850/1900,
    UMTS 850/1900,
    LTE bands 17/4

ALL:
    LTE (4G)
    750 Upper 700 (Verizon) / band 13
    1700 AWS / band 4 (IV)

WCDMA (3G / 4G)
    850 Cellular / band 5 (V)
    1900 PCS / band 2 (II)
    2100 IMT / band 1 (I)