FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

source code link

1,901 posts
Thanks Meter: 468

Post Reply Email Thread
P6200: https://opensource.samsung.com/recep...Value=GT-P6200

P6210: https://opensource.samsung.com/recep...Value=GT-P6210
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisrotolo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrisrotolo Ad-Free

13th December 2011, 08:42 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
any more info? i am assuming that this cannot compile to a fully working rom? there must be missing binary blobs? perhaps this is just kernel source? anything else you can tell me would be awesome thank you!
13th December 2011, 07:28 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
SGH-T869: https://opensource.samsung.com/recep...Value=SGH-T869
13th December 2011, 08:24 PM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 2,734

More
The zip files each contain two tarballs. One for kernel source and the other for platform stuff.

The kernel stuff is semi-complete... it'll compile a proper kernel, but won't be bootable on your device unless you add an initramfs image. You'll also need to pull the proprietary loadable modules from your device and embed them in that same initramfs. There's enough there that with some know-how and tools you can create a new kernel image...

The platform stuff... well, I haven't messed with that. I honestly don't know what is in there that isn't already in the AOSP. I do know that it doesn't contain things like touchwiz...

Take care
Gary
13th December 2011, 09:56 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
this is great news! i juat recently got a good build platform put together on an old laptop so this will be fun to take a crack at!
14th December 2011, 08:12 PM |#6  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,474

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9

The zip files each contain two tarballs. One for kernel source and the other for platform stuff.

The kernel stuff is semi-complete... it'll compile a proper kernel, but won't be bootable on your device unless you add an initramfs image. You'll also need to pull the proprietary loadable modules from your device and embed them in that same initramfs. There's enough there that with some know-how and tools you can create a new kernel image...

The platform stuff... well, I haven't messed with that. I honestly don't know what is in there that isn't already in the AOSP. I do know that it doesn't contain things like touchwiz...

Take care
Gary

Are there any proprietary kernel modules? There aren't for other Exynos devices (GSII, Galaxy Note).

Original GalaxyS had some (FSR/RFS, also j4fs - j4fs is open-source on Exynos devices)
14th December 2011, 09:20 PM |#7  
Flag Pittsburgh, PA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

Are there any proprietary kernel modules? There aren't for other Exynos devices (GSII, Galaxy Note).

Well... I thought there were. I know there were modules on my 6210 /lib/modules that didn't get built from the kernel. I don't remember right now which ones, though. (I'm at work...)

Take care
Gary
15th December 2011, 01:48 AM |#8  
Flag Pittsburgh, PA

More
Quote:

Well... I thought there were. I know there were modules on my 6210 /lib/modules that didn't get built from the kernel. I don't remember right now which ones, though.

Okay, you were correct. For the GTP6210, only one module from the factory recovery (and main boot) which isn't being built by the kernel build:
j4fs.ko (as you already mentioned.)

Take care
Gary
15th December 2011, 05:24 PM |#9  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,474

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Okay, you were correct. For the GTP6210, only one module from the factory recovery (and main boot) which isn't being built by the kernel build:
j4fs.ko (as you already mentioned.)

Take care
Gary

Odd... On Exynos devices, j4fs should be getting built...

https://github.com/Entropy512/linux_...s/samsung/j4fs

Its odd location for an FS driver (in drivers/staging/samsung) puts it in a weird location in menuconfig too.

j4fs is used to access param.lfs
16th December 2011, 06:37 AM |#10  
Flag Pittsburgh, PA

More
There also seems to be missing a "ar6000" device, but it's not in /lib/modules on the factory initramfs either. Of all things, it's in /system/wifi. (and there's no source.)

if I recompile the kernel sources from samsung's website (doing everything properly, of course), it won't load that module... claims a version mismatch (and won't allow me to override.)

Here's the uname string from the factory normal boot (KL1) kernel:
Code:
Linux localhost 2.6.36-P6210UEKL1-CL583281 #3 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 2 21:14:23 KST 2011 armv7l GNU/Linux
The kernels I recompile have a slightly different string:
Code:
Linux localhost 2.6.36 #4 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 10 23:40:09 EST 2011 armv7l GNU/Linux
I guess that makes the kernel source a bit less useful. Perhaps after they drop the KL1 updated kernel sources I'll be in better shape.

Yet, I can't help but to feel like I missing something obvious... Just can't remember what. perhaps after a good night sleep it'll come to me.

edit: found a source for the ar6000 code (http://nv-tegra.nvidia.com/gitweb/?p...ty/atheros.git) I'll play with it more tomorrow or over the weekend.

Take care
Gary
17th January 2012, 09:08 PM |#11  
Would anyone know how to go about getting the drivers for the IR port? I have an early version of the 7.7 that has the IR blaster but the Peel app is saying it's not present. I think I just need to flash the drivers for it, but I'm rather ignorant of this. Any ideas?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)