Htc Universal Memory Upgrade.

Search This thread
Thank you very much for your information. I google searched the XL Electronics and it returns a site with Polish domain and written in Polish language. Is this the company you referred to?

Regards.

Actually the company and contact are as follows. The guy will be only to happy to help and I believe they will be able to put you in contact with someone who can solder the chips as well.

Dom Webb
Xel Electronics
Tel - 01730 711122
E-mail - dom@xel.co.uk

They are UK based and I believe they charge about $20 per chip for small quantities. The 128MB RAM upgrade is great and I believe that as more people begin to get this done there will be much more by way of speed increase.

renhui

Nov 23, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
USD$60 to solder, service, clean, reflash? thats quite a deal he is offering!
Shipping should cost no more than USD$40 per instance if we are using th express courier service.

Where is this guy? Has he successfuly done these operations before?

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, it should be 40 dollars all inclusive. The pair of chips is worth about 20 and the guy basically charges 20 for soldering and postage(domestic express shipping). And AFAIK, the guy has successfully performed hundreds of memory upgrade for PDAs. So any doubt over chip quality etc is unsubstantiated.

wtpelzer

Dec 31, 2006
London
Sorry it's XEL Electronics...

I've just received my chips today... So both my Universals will be off to Retronix next week! :D

Just for your info WizP originally put us on to Dominic Webb at XEL Electronics Ltd. I've just spoken to Joe Tumilty at Retronix and he and Dom are getting together sometime this week with an eye to putting a service together here in the UK to upgrade our Universals. :D

Have a nice weekend guys, fingers crossed we may have someone who can supply and solder the BGA chips here in the UK soon - should cut the cost down too! :)

If you do decide to upgrade your RAM just flash the device with either Mamaich or Ivan's ROM's first so that the person/company upgrading the device can see if the upgrade has worked correctly. I suspect if you don't you'll have them tearing their hair out trying to figure out why the extra RAM isn't showing! :p Well if they aren't members of this forum at least anyways...

Last edited:

wtpelzer

Dec 31, 2006
London
Nope you must buy new chips...

The chips in your dead universal will be 32meg chips and you actually need 64meg chips. :) So just replacing the chips with the one in the dead universal will give you same RAM you have now and be a lot of work for nothing! :D
Mamaich said it somewhere else in this thread if you want confirmation.

OrionBG

Sep 21, 2004
London, UK
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this thread began as (adding two more chips to the empty places on the MB)????? Now you are talking for replacement of the original chips with two new ones with double capacity! I'm getting confused here! What is wrong with the first method??

BTW I'm with G4 XDA Exec!

Skwyk

Dec 13, 2005
Moscow
80$ here in Russia, with chips.
But I don't know how will you send it here, we have problems with mail :|

spyd77

Apr 30, 2007
Sabadell, Barcelona
uBGA soldering in Spain?

Hi.

I'm from Spain, and I have a Qtek 9000 that desperatelly needs 128Mb. Someone in Spain is able to do the procedure?

-----------------------

Hola.

Vivo en España, y tengo una Qtek9000 que necesita desesperadamente 128Mb. ¿Alguien en España es capaz de hacer el procedimiento?

svyatko

Nov 12, 2004
London
Actually the company and contact are as follows. The guy will be only to happy to help and I believe they will be able to put you in contact with someone who can solder the chips as well.

Dom Webb
Xel Electronics
Tel - 01730 711122
E-mail - dom@xel.co.uk

They are UK based and I believe they charge about $20 per chip for small quantities. The 128MB RAM upgrade is great and I believe that as more people begin to get this done there will be much more by way of speed increase.

Guys, has anyone tried this company, I am in UK,London and am really interested in doing the upgrade.
Any info would be appreciated...

Regards.

pigeonking

Apr 1, 2007
what's the usage of page pool

i had upgraded my universal to 128 mb ram. Thanks for everybody here and especially mamaich.

I have another question:
mamaich's rom doesn't use page pool, and some say page pool would not take any effect and might make the universal slower, but some say page pool would increase the speed of universal..

I don't know whose saying is correct???
could somebody tell me?
thanks

mhk

Aug 2, 2007
Wroclaw

jas_pik

Mar 26, 2006
Warsaw
pdaclubjaspik.blogspot.com
First unit it was few days - becuase of X-Ray inspection . Price is equal 100USD = 250 PLN for PDAClub user throw Polish auction site ( allegro) - for safety reason.
Poland / Bydgoszcz - all contact by mail to : wirek_80(on)o2.pl

mctoey

Jan 2, 2007
St. Andrews
G3 or G4?

i had upgraded my universal to 128 mb ram. Thanks for everybody here and especially mamaich.

I have another question:
mamaich's rom doesn't use page pool, and some say page pool would not take any effect and might make the universal slower, but some say page pool would increase the speed of universal..

I don't know whose saying is correct???
could somebody tell me?
thanks

Is your Universal G3 or G4? Anyone with experience with 128MB Ram G4 yet?

homa

Feb 10, 2007
Budapest
WIKI

Dear Everyone!

Would somebody mind cleaning the WIKI section up a bit? The exact memory upgrade steps can be found in the fora, but if a wiki page exists, then please somebody (especially one who already succeeded with the upgrade to 128megs) tell me and the others around, for example:

Which chip to use? Infineon HYB25L512160AC-7.5 ? It's already in the Uni, they are the 32MB modules, so why replace it with that? And how could one use a bricked Uni? It too has the factory memories, so 2x32MB...
At first I thought an additional 2 modules have to be soldered in, but there are no more pads to do so!
So AFAIK the two 32MB module have to be replaced with two 64MB ones, product code unknown, but can be found easily.
Somebody please confirm my statements and edit the wiki to make it correct.

PS: And how to short-connect the 2 pins? Just a solder-bridge? OK, the professionals must know this, I ask the people at my university about BGA-solder;)