[APP] AudioBoost 2.4 - support and feedback

Search This thread

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
carlocb !

@livegod don't worry my ego is not upset by carlocb's initiative, it's really the opposite.
carlocb send me a PM and already said kind things in the topics about my work more than reasonably :eek:

As a matter of fact I encourage every developer or user to use any of the information I published for it's own use and hopefully they will share like carlocb does :)

Last edited:

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
will I risk destroying my ear running this app?

YES, you still need to be extra-careful if you use it to lower the mixer volume.

Putting the phone on vibrate mode helps.
You won't be disturbed by the audio reset done with notifications, but if you pause the sound or just start to play something, volume will be "standard" and not "your setting" until this app runs the alsa_amixer command again.

Of course, if you use this app to set a higher volume, there is no risk at all ;)

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
will I risk destroying my ear running this app?
Like supercurio said, not if you use it to boost volume! But may I suggest you adjust music volume to half before applying the tweak and only after it worked try to increase it gradually until you are satisfied! ;) Especially if you use it with headphones (it can become quite loud!). If you use it for the car linein as I do there won't be problems!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
@livegod don't worry my ego is not upset by carlocb's initiative, it's really the opposite.
carlocb send me a PM and already said kind things in the topics about my work more than reasonably :eek:

As a matter of fact I encourage every developer or user to use any of the information I published for it's own use and hopefully they will share like carlocb does :)

Ain't that the spirit of the opensource community and one of the reasons we chose the open Android OS over the closed one of the iPhone? :p

I wanted to develop something for the iPhone when I had one, but never could because you have to pay like 100 bucks just to use YOUR phone for development...that sucks! :p

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
actually you still do.. i find that with boosting audio to 61 you get less hiss than if i kept it at the default and turn the volume up on the car radio (this is with my fm transmitter).. you can audibly hear the his if you plug in the headphones but dont start playing the output yet.

as a side note my volume was louder when running jg1 b4 i updated to jm5 so i believe they lowered the default audio in newer f/w's.

THMRK

Aug 9, 2010
Hi Carlocb,

I have been following the Supercurio fix for a while now, but have stopped because they have not found something that "sticks" after a reboot... or at least that is what I can gather.

Also I think there are two issues, 1/ unwanted equalisation with headphones plugged in 2/ output level.

I am confused as your software addresses output level, but I dont think it will kill the unwanted effects of the equaliser? Is that right?

Thanks,
Mark.
I'm happy that someone else has noticed the unwanted issues with the EQ. I find it particularly apparent when the preset "Rock" EQ is used. It's an issues that doesn't appear on Mixzing but then Mixzing has an entirely separate issue with it (for me, anyway.)

So, just to echo what livegod is saying...is there any plans to address the unwanted EQ issues?

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
I'm happy that someone else has noticed the unwanted issues with the EQ. I find it particularly apparent when the preset "Rock" EQ is used. It's an issues that doesn't appear on Mixzing but then Mixzing has an entirely separate issue with it (for me, anyway.)

So, just to echo what livegod is saying...is there any plans to address the unwanted EQ issues?
I sincerely don't know what you are talking about, as I don't use the soft equalizer,but the car hifi one...I will look into it when I have time! ;)

Liemannen

Jul 19, 2010
Thx for this!!
Q: if i have the version you had up earlier today 0.1 do i really have to update to 0.2?

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
Thx for this!!
Q: if i have the version you had up earlier today 0.1 do i really have to update to 0.2?

Well it's up to Jou! Basically 0.2adds just auto-install and delete for alsa... so the one you have works just fine if you already installed also. You may well wait for the first decent beta I'm gonna release! ;)

Apr 27, 2010
Hi, first of all thank you very much for the efforts, it's a great app.

It will be possible a alternative version to modify the "speakers volume", like the "headset volume" in this one?

Regards from Spain and sorry for my horrible english, ;)

The.Opethian

Nov 9, 2008
London
www.opethian.com
Obviously Samsung is adhering to the European law in regards to not increasing the volume more than what they want. So much that they've essentially crippled this device.

I hope they implement an option to still enable it but with a warning, or with a clause saying that "if you click this you agree to not hold Samsung for any problems etc.. lost hearing lolage your friends"

BlackBerry does it, why can't they?

madmackem

Dec 19, 2005
Huawei P30 Pro
Huawei P40 Pro
I installed this app this evening, I was quite surprised at the difference :)

However i tried unplugging my head phones (samsung stock) when i plugged them back in the volume was fluctuating up and down every second :-| Im running jm3 fw, rooted and lag fixed.

Biggest issue for me is my sony in ear headphones (i like the sound and the fit of these) i got with my sony player x1060 sound absolutely pants in my sgs! before and after this app. I've messed with the equaliser settings but cant get anything decent out using these. any ideas?

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
I installed this app this evening, I was quite surprised at the difference :)

However i tried unplugging my head phones (samsung stock) when i plugged them back in the volume was fluctuating up and down every second :-| Im running jm3 fw, rooted and lag fixed.

Biggest issue for me is my sony in ear headphones (i like the sound and the fit of these) i got with my sony player x1060 sound absolutely pants in my sgs! before and after this app. I've messed with the equaliser settings but cant get anything decent out using these. any ideas?

Hmm...I never experienced such situation. Can you please provide me some information:
1: "have you tried turning it off and on?" :p
2: after 1 you should try to recreate the problem and tell me if the problem happens the first time you try, then I think it could be a firmware problem maybe? In this case I would like to hear if someone else is using that firmware and has this problem...
3: if it is not possible to recreate the problem right away, try to use it normally for some time and, should the problem resurface, try to note the condition of the phone when it happened...like how many times you used the program, if and hoe many times you killed it, etc. etc.
If you can, try also to issue a "busybox ps" command on the mobile terminal or via adb, and of course past me the screen that the command provides please. This is the only way I can try to investigate it.
This is valid for *anyone* having issues that could relate to memory leaking or phone lagging or so...thanks!

PS: oh and... about the last part of your thread, I think you should really read supercurio's thread if you haven't already...the first part suggests how to enhance sound for your headphones! ;)

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
Obviously Samsung is adhering to the European law in regards to not increasing the volume more than what they want. So much that they've essentially crippled this device.

I hope they implement an option to still enable it but with a warning, or with a clause saying that "if you click this you agree to not hold Samsung for any problems etc.. lost hearing lolage your friends"

BlackBerry does it, why can't they?

That would be an excellent thing. Also, Europe and everyone else should not have the power to impose such limitations to a device we pay 500€ just because they thought of a single usecase in which it could become health-risky from their point of view. A warning should be just fine. They allow it on cigarettes...is the hearing sense really more important than life itself?
Should I or anyone else spend days of our lives to do try to circumvent a limitation that should have never been there in the first place?
That's just my thinking...

THMRK

Aug 9, 2010
I sincerely don't know what you are talking about, as I don't use the soft equalizer,but the car hifi one...I will look into it when I have time! ;)

It's a minor niggle, really. I love that EQ for the bass response it gives and I REALLY want to get rid of my iPod on that back of having my first phone with a 3.5mm jack but this is the only thing stopping me.

It's also completely possible that I'm going mad and that my ears of abusing my ears by being in a band is now effecting my hearing, and that I'm just imagining the issue! Haha :p

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
Hi, first of all thank you very much for the efforts, it's a great app.

It will be possible a alternative version to modify the "speakers volume", like the "headset volume" in this one?

Regards from Spain and sorry for my horrible english, ;)

No alternative version, the app will have such feature when it's more mature! I already thought about that... it'll come with a better UI and it will be basically a more sophisticated alsa "touch interface" or a wrapper if you know what I mean. This way it should also be useful when @supercurio new kernel arrives!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CREDITS:
    My work is ONLY the application, it was intended for my personal use, but I figured that it could be useful to someone else, until supercurio doesn't come out with something better (and I hope he will).
    So the HARD PART of the work, like finding out how to tweak the volume limit using alsa, etc. was done by supercurio and we should all thank him a lot for all his work! :D
    Thanks also to RyanZA for creating the z4root application, very very useful! ;)

PREREQUISITES:
    1. Your phone must be ROOTED!

ATTENTION FOR FROYO!!:
    With froyo official updates, it is NO LONGER possible to flash custom update.zip!! If you want to leave your phone unrooted, however, there is a simple way to achive this:

1. Download from the market the free application "z4root" from our beloved RyanZA! (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953)
    2. Use the z4root application to get root privileges
    3. Now open audioboost and choose "NORMAL INSTALL"
    4. Now or whenever you feel like it, if you want, you can just open z4root again and *unroot* your device. After that, you can even erase z4root and continue using audioboost without problems until next firmware upgrade...the app won't leave any trace and it won't be noticeable that your phone has been rooted.
    If you liked this approach, you can also donate to RyanZA for the wonderful app he's created!

INSTALLATION:
    If you had previously a beta version installed, please uninstall it before trying the release 1.0.

If you don't have already installed alsa, the app will check your installation when you launch it, and eventually it will ask you to install alsa. Please do so.

FEATURES:
    - Headphones, speaker and microphone tweaking! :D
    - I optimized the code a lot, so now it is very low on resource usage, even with a 1-second refresh rate!
    - You can leave it in background all day without noticing any lag or anything! ;)
    - Now with some sort of icon.
    - Signed.

UPDATED 1.1:
    - When clicking exit button it will clean up better.
    - Cleaned up a bit the Settings activity, and added preview of next feature (statusbar notifications).
    - Changed Info activity a bit.

UPDATED 1.2:
    - Fixed a bug that prevented the app to work properly!

UPDATED 1.3:
    - GLOBAL REFRESH! ;) Now the refresh time and enabling/disabling is under Settings and works for ALL controls (headphones, speaker and mic).
    - Fixed (hopefully) problems with ALSA INSTALLATION, plus now a progress dialog is displayed (just for you to know that is working and for me when posting problems - I hope not - you can say "stuck at x%"...)
    - Fixed QUIT bug. Now when you click the exit button it should really exit and not show up in background even with task killer. PLEASE DO NOT KILL THE APP, use the exit button!!!
    - Now menu has icons! :D
    - Plus a lot of things that you may not notice, but are very useful for overall speed and low system resource impact! The code has been changed A LOT, let me tell ya! :cool:

...Well hope everything works just fine! Please post feedback on mic functioning with these new features! ;)

UPDATED 1.4.1:
    - Just fixed a little thing which prevented the correct alsa installation, nothing definitive as I'm looking to manage every single possible error scenario...

UPDATED 2.0:
    - Works even on unrooted phones
    - Alsa installation takes now a split second! You MUST do that even if you used version 1.x (permissions changed...)
    - Audio-boosting feature is a service that can be backgrounded
    - Statusbar notification
    - Start on phone boot
    - Refresh rate in milliseconds...you can have values lower than 1 second, default is 500ms...obviously greater values = worst experience = better performance....your call! :p
    - New app logo...hope you like it!
    - A lot of other improvements that I'm not remembering right now! :p

UPDATED 2.1:
    - Fixed lagging issues (OMG java Timer class implementation on android sucks badly!!!)

- Dropped "always active" option in settings (not very user-friendly/intuitive)

- Added little dialog when hitting menu/Quit that asks if you want to background the app or close it for good (more user-friendly for my taste)

Regarding *lagging* issues: of course, if you keep like 2-3 milliseconds refresh it WILL lag indeed! That depends on use-cases:

- I, for instance, use my app when listening to music while driving. In that circumstance, I have no problem occupying resources because I'm not actually using my phone apart from playing music. If an email comes in though, I'd *hate* to have to wait 10 seconds to boost volume again, so I keep 100-200ms. When I exit the car, I click "disable" and close audioboost.

- Someone who is listening to music while using the phone intensively should use a higher refresh.

I think that with 2000ms refresh, version 2.1 shouldn't lag even all-day long. Even with lower values it should be fine...you should find your preferred setting by yourselves! ;)

UPDATE 2.2 - 2.3 - 2.4:
    - Fixed some bugs.
    - Improved froyo compatibility.
    - Mounts /system as rw during install.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO RATE/COMMENT THE APP IN THE MARKET, THANK YOU EVERYBODY :)

- OLD:

Ok...let's explain a bit. Yesterday evening I wanted to know if it existed a tweak to boost the audio volume coming from the headphones. I think that there is some sort of European law or something like that which limits the volume that headphones can produce. This is probably a good thing to avoid hearing problems with *headphones*, but in my situation it sucks badly! Yes, because I use my phone as a music source in my car, and my car hifi is not powerful enough to let me hear my music at the level I like...
    However...I was addressed at this thread, from post #300 on...
    Well, I read the thread (and I STRONGLY ADVISE you do the same before downloading anything from my post), but I didn't like very much the limitations of that tweak. It works alright, but it seems to me that an sh script is not the more comfortable way to go on a mobile phone. If you think differently from me, feel free to keep using the script method, without posting useless comments. ;)

So I created a tiny little (horrible I must say) application which kinda does basically the same thing as the script, but in a (from my point of view) much cooler way! It is very ugly, but it's my first android application and I bought the phone just 2 weeks ago...
    How does this work? Very simple: there is a textbox in which you can enter the desired amp level, an enable button and a disable one. You should enter the value you prefer (default is 62), then click enable button. You should now leave the app RUNNING in background. When you are finished using the tweak you can tap the disable button to return to the default (of the firmware) settings.
    Basically what the application does is it creates a 2-seconds timer which calls everytime the alsamixer (a little better than using an infinite loop as in the script...) with the desired settings. It doesn't seem to impact the battery life too much from my little testing, but please post any feedback on this point.