Charging speed

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
To power up, you consume Red Bull. But your phone just needs its adaptive fast charger. Rate this thread to express how quickly the Samsung Galaxy S11 can charge. A higher rating indicates that it charges extremely fast.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

stevenknb

Dec 20, 2018
It is extremely fast , almost I can't believe is like in 30 minutos it has like 70% do you know how amazing is that? I came from the Galaxy s10 and to get 70% it takes like an hour , and event with that amount of time I'd used to think that it was really fast , but now I know what is fast.

Galinha1

Jun 22, 2012
Sao Paulo
I'm having a weird behavior from charging. ( S20 exynos)
When charging, from 50% lets say, it shows 46 min to full (with the provided 25w charger ) , but when it gets around 97% it's shows 14min to full , after 1 minute goes to 98% , after 40 sec. goes to 99% , 10 sec. later Shows full battery, i leave there for 10 more minutes. I take it off the charger, couple minutes already drop to 98% or 97% , after that, it discharges at a more normal rate. If i plug in at 97 or 98% less than a minute it reaches full. Anyone else?

jojos38

I'm having a weird behavior from charging. ( S20 exynos)
When charging, from 50% lets say, it shows 46 min to full (with the provided 25w charger ) , but when it gets around 97% it's shows 14min to full , after 1 minute goes to 98% , after 40 sec. goes to 99% , 10 sec. later Shows full battery, i leave there for 10 more minutes. I take it off the charger, couple minutes already drop to 98% or 97% , after that, it discharges at a more normal rate. If i plug in at 97 or 98% less than a minute it reaches full. Anyone else?

Bad calibration maybe, did you try discharging to like 5% turn the phone off and charge it back to 100%

jojos38

Not to 5% , i saw a sugestion to go all the way. So o let my phone to empty ultil it turn off , and charge it 100% when it off , them turn it on. Didi 2 times, still the same.

Weird, I have no idea then, I know there is a calibration thing in Samsung phone butii I believe it's not recommended to touch it I'm not sure, maybe you should return it back

bamserl

Feb 18, 2009
Klagenfurt
25W is very nice compared to my S9's 15W, but it could have been more. S20 Ultra has 45W, so the S20+ could have had at least 35W and the S20 25W.

olafsand

Jan 25, 2011
S20 ultra have also 25w charger in box. I bought separately 45w charger but charging time is 9 minute's quicker with 45w. From 0 to 100%

RandomJazz

Apr 10, 2020
Athens
I haven't done extended testing since I started reading about this.
I let my phone drop down to 2-3%, I plugged it in using the 25w provided charger with the super-fast charging option on.
It gave me 1h and 8 minutes to full charge. Right now, I am at 38% and it says 48m.
I think though charging speed has decreased.
Might be the latest update?

As far as battery life goes, I was on my phone from 10 pm until 4 am and it went down around to 46-50%. (can't exactly recall since I was sleepy) Which is not bad.

Bee101

May 26, 2015
Los Angeles
To power up, you consume Red Bull. But your phone just needs its adaptive fast charger. Rate this thread to express how quickly the Samsung Galaxy S11 can charge. A higher rating indicates that it charges extremely fast.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!
I have found to get these amazing charge time you must use the Samsung charging cord and ac charger. I had the use my old LG charging cord in car and places were USB charging is available. Samsung cords are type C to type C. Not typical. Now I have to buy new car charger and a longer Samsung cord for at home.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

applicationz

Sep 2, 2011
I haven't done extended testing since I started reading about this.
I let my phone drop down to 2-3%, I plugged it in using the 25w provided charger with the super-fast charging option on.
It gave me 1h and 8 minutes to full charge. Right now, I am at 38% and it says 48m.
I think though charging speed has decreased.
Might be the latest update?

As far as battery life goes, I was on my phone from 10 pm until 4 am and it went down around to 46-50%. (can't exactly recall since I was sleepy) Which is not bad.

I feel the same, it takes 1 hours 20 minutes now to charge fully , but I haven't received any update
first 2 days it charged in under 1 hour 5 minutes.

hOtttBRA

Apr 8, 2012
Salvador
Samsung has done an outstanding work with the 25w charging, it is very fast and does not heat the Phone. Comparing with a 10w wireless charger it is half the speed and heats the phone a lot more (I know that we have the conversion factor for the wireless).

Screens below: [Date] [Time] [mA] [Battery Percentage] [Voltage] [Temperature]

Screenshot_20200426-185111_3C_Battery_Monitor_Widget.jpg

Samsung_Wireless.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hanifh and Raphy511

funnybot

Nov 11, 2014
Charging speed of the S20+ under varying conditions

I'd like to share an interesting observation with respect to charging phones in hot weather conditions.

There was a recent update that screwed up with the charging speed of the S20 Ultra. A good friend asked me to check if I'm facing and issues with my S20+ because both phones run the Exynos SoC.

It was around 12.30 pm yesterday and I completely drained my phone to 0% and switched off. My room's ambient temperature was quite high (Say around 34-35*C) because it directly faces the sun. The phone was running hot from the time the charging started and the charging speed actually reduced.

For example, Earlier it used to take 30 mins to reach 55%, but this time, it could only reach 50%. And a full charge took 77 minutes instead of the usual 71 minutes.

I blamed Samsung instinctively but knew that it couldn't be the case for some reason because the difference was actually negligible. Immediately, I googled whether warm temperatures can cause a reduction in charging speed and I wasn't disappointed; from throttling your phone, battery drain, and increase in charging time, warm temperatures does it all.

So today, I decided to test it once again in a fairly cool environment. I switched on the room air conditioner and set the temperature to 24*C.

Here are my readings,

10 mins - 22%
20 mins - 41%
30 mins - 56%
40 mins - 72%
50 mins - 86%
60 mins - 92%
70 mins - 100%

This was my original charging speed (cross-checked with youtube videos also).

Unfortunately didn't make note of the readings when it was hot except for 30 mins (50%) and the full charge was 77 minutes instead of 71 minutes.

Also, the phone did not heat while super-fast charging, so the lower temperature did help in controlling the temperature of the phone.

Test conditions :
1. Using Samsung's original 25w charger
2. Phone switched off
3. Battery speed charging test from (0-100%)
4. I did not use any phone case. The phone was in its birthday suit.

So here's what I learned,

1. During Summer, see if you can remove your phone's case; during charging and also while using it. It can help with faster heat dissipation thereby improving battery life.

2. While charging your phone, make sure you keep it on a hard surface and not on your blankets, bed, or pillows (all these can trap heat and make your phone hot).

3. I've also come to understand all our phones or at least the flagships are designed to run efficiently at cooler environments. (You get the idea, right? CEOs, VPs who are inside an air-conditioned cabin all day long. Okay, okay, even employees who work at the lower level or even BPO employees, technically they also stay inside AC cabins or rooms all day long). I remember reading about this when the Samsung S4 was launched in 2013) when there were too many complaints about the phone overheating.

4. End of the day, just try not to keep your phone in a warm environment. As much as possible, charge it and use it where it's relatively cooler.

P.S. I know the above scenario is a very idealistic setting, but yeah, just try!

Reactions: hanifh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung has done an outstanding work with the 25w charging, it is very fast and does not heat the Phone. Comparing with a 10w wireless charger it is half the speed and heats the phone a lot more (I know that we have the conversion factor for the wireless).

Screens below: [Date] [Time] [mA] [Battery Percentage] [Voltage] [Temperature]

Screenshot_20200426-185111_3C_Battery_Monitor_Widget.jpg

Samsung_Wireless.jpg
    I feel the same, it takes 1 hours 20 minutes now to charge fully , but I haven't received any update
    first 2 days it charged in under 1 hour 5 minutes.
    I really like this phone, finally made the switch after 10+ years in iOS, but all these reports regarding bugs etc made me OCD about it that I notice even the smallest things.
    Charging speed of the S20+ under varying conditions

I'd like to share an interesting observation with respect to charging phones in hot weather conditions.

There was a recent update that screwed up with the charging speed of the S20 Ultra. A good friend asked me to check if I'm facing and issues with my S20+ because both phones run the Exynos SoC.

It was around 12.30 pm yesterday and I completely drained my phone to 0% and switched off. My room's ambient temperature was quite high (Say around 34-35*C) because it directly faces the sun. The phone was running hot from the time the charging started and the charging speed actually reduced.

For example, Earlier it used to take 30 mins to reach 55%, but this time, it could only reach 50%. And a full charge took 77 minutes instead of the usual 71 minutes.

I blamed Samsung instinctively but knew that it couldn't be the case for some reason because the difference was actually negligible. Immediately, I googled whether warm temperatures can cause a reduction in charging speed and I wasn't disappointed; from throttling your phone, battery drain, and increase in charging time, warm temperatures does it all.

So today, I decided to test it once again in a fairly cool environment. I switched on the room air conditioner and set the temperature to 24*C.

Here are my readings,

10 mins - 22%
    20 mins - 41%
    30 mins - 56%
    40 mins - 72%
    50 mins - 86%
    60 mins - 92%
    70 mins - 100%

This was my original charging speed (cross-checked with youtube videos also).

Unfortunately didn't make note of the readings when it was hot except for 30 mins (50%) and the full charge was 77 minutes instead of 71 minutes.

Also, the phone did not heat while super-fast charging, so the lower temperature did help in controlling the temperature of the phone.

Test conditions :
    1. Using Samsung's original 25w charger
    2. Phone switched off
    3. Battery speed charging test from (0-100%)
    4. I did not use any phone case. The phone was in its birthday suit.

So here's what I learned,

1. During Summer, see if you can remove your phone's case; during charging and also while using it. It can help with faster heat dissipation thereby improving battery life.

2. While charging your phone, make sure you keep it on a hard surface and not on your blankets, bed, or pillows (all these can trap heat and make your phone hot).

3. I've also come to understand all our phones or at least the flagships are designed to run efficiently at cooler environments. (You get the idea, right? CEOs, VPs who are inside an air-conditioned cabin all day long. Okay, okay, even employees who work at the lower level or even BPO employees, technically they also stay inside AC cabins or rooms all day long). I remember reading about this when the Samsung S4 was launched in 2013) when there were too many complaints about the phone overheating.

4. End of the day, just try not to keep your phone in a warm environment. As much as possible, charge it and use it where it's relatively cooler.

P.S. I know the above scenario is a very idealistic setting, but yeah, just try!