FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide] EXTRACT BIN (from kdz) TO IMAGES FOR L9

1,783 posts
Thanks Meter: 948

By kuma82, Senior Member on 8th June 2013, 06:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
With xonar's LG Bin Firmware Extractor, we are able to extract the bin files into partitions (the image files for our device).
So, what can you do with this you ask?
Well if you ever deleted a system app ( /system/app/*.apk ) or anything else (ringtones & etc), you can recover it from the kdz file.

This thread was a follow-up on Cmahendra's guide, extracting kdz files into .bin(s).

However, thanks to our siblings in the LG-P970 forum, we have a simpler way to extract the kdz into images.
@jes0411 and others ( @t0g3, @Ilko, & @navossoc ) created a really sweet program to do all the thinking for us here.
I just stripped it down some and modified it to extract the kdz into images faster and simpler.

Alright,
1. First you will need a kdz file. Don't forget to thank @cmahendra

2. Download and extract my OPTIMUS_L9_IMAGE_EXTRACTOR.zip to any folder.

Md5sum: c2b25e195a24f0d4e187338a66037fc2
Please check Md5sum with this free program WinMD5.

3. Open the "Place KDZ HERE" folder and put your kdz file(s) inside. Then double click on the "RUN BINEXTRACTOR.bat", select the # for your kdz and press ENTER

NOTE: The System image takes awhile to extract.

4. To further extract the system image, double click on "EXPLORER.bat" and give it Administrator rights. Navigate to the system image (9-system.img), click "open", and right click Save (to any folder).

The other batch script (EXTRACT TO BINS.bat) will duh, extract the kdz to bin files only. I also have instruction on how to extract the x-loader with a hex editor (for those hardcore nerds, like me ; )

I have flashed the x-loader, u-boot, boot, recovery, & system images, so all image are
Question? Why are some images blank (0b)? Answer

Credits:

The first person to thanks is navossoc for creating his program to extract the kdz into .bin(s) files.

The second person to thank is Xonar_ for creating the LG Bin Firmware Extractor to work for our device. (Thank you for all your hard work, and for teaching this noob something : )

Third, to the creators of ext2Fsd

Fourth, to @jes0411 and others ( @t0g3, @Ilko, & @navossoc ), I've learned a lot about batch scripts, by dissecting y'all work

The last but not least person to thank is Cmahendra for creating all his threads full of information. I would have never found all this information on my own
Attached Files
File Type: zip OPTIMUS_L9_IMAGE_EXTRACTOR.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.11 MB, 42280 views)
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to kuma82 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kuma82 Ad-Free

9th June 2013, 07:20 AM |#2  
Flag Teheran
Thanks Meter: 846

More
Thanks, really useful
The Following User Says Thank You to denzel09 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift denzel09 Ad-Free
10th June 2013, 04:17 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
That's simply AMAZING
Thank you very much!!!!
BoZ
The Following User Says Thank You to bozinsky For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bozinsky Ad-Free
11th June 2013, 02:48 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston

More
Y'all should thank xonar_ for making his program compatible for our devices. Another thing, he updated his source so we don't have to be run in compatibility mode, I'll upload the fixed binextractor later tonight.

Sent from my LG-P769 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to kuma82 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kuma82 Ad-Free
11th June 2013, 10:14 AM |#5  
Flag Hong kong
Thanks Meter: 92

More
I am a question, I extract out the system.ing of hk v20d, but I cannot read the ing folder vir extfsd or extexplorer... what is the problem,...

Sent from my LG-P765 using xda premium
11th June 2013, 10:31 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkfree

I am a question, I extract out the system.ing of hk v20d, but I cannot read the ing folder vir extfsd or extexplorer... what is the problem,...

Sent from my LG-P765 using xda premium

Send me a screen shot of what looks like. Extexplore must be ran as administrator. Check out the text or in this thread on how to use those programs. Another thing, how big is the system img size?
To use extfsd you need to install virtual clonedriver first,
Right click on the system img and mount with virtual clone
The how to geek website does not say that extfsd must be installed as administrator, but it does.
Righr click on extFsd and (run as administrator) install, Once opened, click on the tool tab and select "Service Management" (or just press F7 key) then press the "Start"
Note: I HAD MY SYSTEM CRASH WHILE USING EXT2FSD, SO DON'T USE IT WHILE DOING IMPORTANT STUFF!
BETTER YET DON'T USE. UPDATING THE THREAD
11th June 2013, 05:44 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 4,933

More
Thumbs up nice screenshots
Thanks a lot for this guide with good screenshot images. Already had this bin-extractor info but recently I did not get enough time to put all the things together. May be earlier I was working like demon-possessed person but then few people started bugging me and killed my passion. May be you noticed it.

Anyways thanks a lot. Many people will find it useful
The Following User Says Thank You to cmahendra For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cmahendra Ad-Free
11th June 2013, 10:16 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
LGExtract is a tool made by navossoc not Spyrosk.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1566532
The Following User Says Thank You to pablo+ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pablo+ Ad-Free
12th June 2013, 03:39 AM |#9  
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Kuma:
Ext2fsd has never crashed on me ever with my laptop on windows 7.
I don't change compatibility mode and I don't run it as admin. Don't know why its unstable for you. Maybe this system.img isn't as stable as other ones I've extracted?? Idk.
I've mainly only extracted bins/tots from the the msm8960 processor phones. Hmm, I'll check it out sometime.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2
12th June 2013, 04:20 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmahendra

Thanks a lot for this guide with good screenshot images. Already had this bin-extractor info but recently I did not get enough time to put all the things together. May be earlier I was working like demon-possessed person but then few people started bugging me and killed my passion. May be you noticed it.

Anyways thanks a lot. Many people will find it useful

Lol, yeah I noticed it, I could tell from your posting, but I can't blame you, I have them days to. I just shake off all the drama and keep trucking Well I'm glad you got your fire back, and your new device. Don't forget about us lol!

12th June 2013, 04:24 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo+

LGExtract is a tool made by navossoc not Spyrosk.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1566532

I'll ask navossoc, I want to get the information right.
Update, thank you for the information, I updated the thread

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)