[MODEMS][CM7/MIUI/ICS]Nexus S Radios KB3, KF1, and KJ1 for Galaxy S

Search This thread

sa1yan

Jan 1, 2009
Texas
TESTED ON i897 Captivate MTD ROMS (Should work on Galaxy S/Vibrant MTD ROMS as well, let me know if it doesn't)

WOOT FRONT PAGE! http://www.xda-developers.com/android/samsung-galaxy-s-may-benefit-from-nexus-s-radio/
Alright, I just discovered something awesome.

So I found out that the Nexus S radios are indeed compatible with our device. I downloaded some of the hot radios for the Nexus S (KB3 and KF1) and opened them up and found that the Nexus S uses radios (similar to how the captivate/galaxy s uses modems). So I just renamed the radio.img from the Nexus S radios to modem.bin, placed it in an existing cm7 modem package and flashed it via CWM (ICS).

I reboot and get a constant 5 bars of signal. My signal hasn't dropped from this 5 bars of signal in the last 10 hours (usually it fluctuates from 5 to 3 bars). HSDPA speeds are pretty fast as well. I got speeds of 560 kb/s DL at 3 bars of signal and 140 kb/s Upload (see screenie). I've never ever gotten that high speeds.

Moreover, the call quality is just amazing. When I used it, the quality is crisp and nice, almost perfect. It seems as if the voice is exemplified over the background crap so that you can actually hear the person. Idk, it was a magical experience for me :p.

Screenie:
s0IbX1MV

The second row on that picture was the speeds I was getting with KF1 (Nexus S). Moreover, I noticed something interesting; that when I wasn't actually downloading or using data, the data indicator switched to "3G". However, when I started using my data, it automatically switched to "H". Something I thought was kinda cool.
Service Mode: *#*#197328640#*#*

Anyways, here are the download links for the modems (already packaged with the nexus s radios of course). Just flash in CWM with a CM7, MIUI, or ICS Rom and you should be good to go. IMPORTANT: DONT FLASH THIS WHILE PLUGGED IN. YOU WILL NOT GET SIGNAL.

IMPORTANT: Also, to avoid problems while flashing the KB3 modem, flash the KF1 modem FIRST, and then flash the KB3 after a reboot in between

Original Nexus S Radio Link

I9020a KF1 Radio<----What I use
Mirror KF1

I9020 KB3 Radio
Mirror KB3

I9020a UCKJ1 Radio

Last edited:

Overlord Pain

Aug 16, 2010
Ottawa
Does this work on GB or only on ICS?

Edit : I just read the OP again and it says it will work on CM7, so I shall flash and see.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: magfal

psycho_vox

Aug 28, 2010
Can you check in Settings -> About phone -> Status if the signal strength is correctly displayed?

Overlord Pain

Aug 16, 2010
Ottawa
Works on Mintberry. Download speed increased.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1331844399072.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1331844399072.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 6,948
Last edited:
Reactions: emreng

sa1yan

Jan 1, 2009
Texas
Works on Mintberry. Download speed increased.

Yea, some people get better and other's don't. Idk, maybe some testers would help me out on technical specifics of the modems such as region and bands and such? Just something I found. I tried using galaxy nexus modems as well, but the baseband is not recognized. So its just these for now xD

Reactions: Overlord Pain

xella

Dec 2, 2010
[4.0.4 IMM30B base][ROM] (13/03/2012) Beta6 AOSP NEXUS S/4g

It work (KF1). Testresult tomorow.

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
GT-I9000 AOKP M4: KB3 radio produces better signal and more consistent download speed (no spiking). I was testing three radios (KB3, KF1 and AOKP's original). I noticed that if I switch from AOKP's radio to KB3, I get no signal. However if I switched to KF1 and back to KB3, I get a very good signal.

Reactions: Laum and psycho_vox

Bonvaz

Jul 30, 2011
Yeah, it should, in a positive way.
The better the signal, the better the battery life :).

I get pretty god signal with KF1. Will test KB3 in the next days.

Can i add this modems to my collection? I could make more :).

Wow,if siky is saying this,I Will try it tomorrow!!!thanks!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TESTED ON i897 Captivate MTD ROMS (Should work on Galaxy S/Vibrant MTD ROMS as well, let me know if it doesn't)

WOOT FRONT PAGE! http://www.xda-developers.com/android/samsung-galaxy-s-may-benefit-from-nexus-s-radio/
    Alright, I just discovered something awesome.

So I found out that the Nexus S radios are indeed compatible with our device. I downloaded some of the hot radios for the Nexus S (KB3 and KF1) and opened them up and found that the Nexus S uses radios (similar to how the captivate/galaxy s uses modems). So I just renamed the radio.img from the Nexus S radios to modem.bin, placed it in an existing cm7 modem package and flashed it via CWM (ICS).

I reboot and get a constant 5 bars of signal. My signal hasn't dropped from this 5 bars of signal in the last 10 hours (usually it fluctuates from 5 to 3 bars). HSDPA speeds are pretty fast as well. I got speeds of 560 kb/s DL at 3 bars of signal and 140 kb/s Upload (see screenie). I've never ever gotten that high speeds.

Moreover, the call quality is just amazing. When I used it, the quality is crisp and nice, almost perfect. It seems as if the voice is exemplified over the background crap so that you can actually hear the person. Idk, it was a magical experience for me :p.

Screenie:
    s0IbX1MV

The second row on that picture was the speeds I was getting with KF1 (Nexus S). Moreover, I noticed something interesting; that when I wasn't actually downloading or using data, the data indicator switched to "3G". However, when I started using my data, it automatically switched to "H". Something I thought was kinda cool.
    Service Mode: *#*#197328640#*#*

Anyways, here are the download links for the modems (already packaged with the nexus s radios of course). Just flash in CWM with a CM7, MIUI, or ICS Rom and you should be good to go. IMPORTANT: DONT FLASH THIS WHILE PLUGGED IN. YOU WILL NOT GET SIGNAL.

IMPORTANT: Also, to avoid problems while flashing the KB3 modem, flash the KF1 modem FIRST, and then flash the KB3 after a reboot in between

Original Nexus S Radio Link

I9020a KF1 Radio<----What I use
    Mirror KF1

I9020 KB3 Radio
    Mirror KB3

I9020a UCKJ1 Radio
    Does any body have direct link for XXJW4 Modem Only

try this one
    Does it affect battery life?

Yeah, it should, in a positive way.
    The better the signal, the better the battery life :).

I get pretty god signal with KF1. Will test KB3 in the next days.

Can i add this modems to my collection? I could make more :).

What sort of results are people getting in the UK? I'm currently on JVR which works well for me, so don't see a need to change unless the results are noticeable.

not worth to goto these modems. i'm in the uk also and have reverted to the following and it's fantastic.

flash it 2 times to be sure....and you will see great reception.....i got t-mobile and getting great reception at my workplace which i struggled to get any signa...

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21102115&postcount=626

seriously people need to stop assuming that just because they have problem with one modem doesn't mean everyone else gonna have same problems. You are forgetting that provider also an major player when it comes to modems. For an example someone from Melbourne, Australia posted in this thread that he get good reception with KB3 while I can not get any signal at all with KB3 in same location but with different provider (see the post above me you see what i'm talking about).. for me KF1 saving hell of a battery for me with good reception
    it takes less than 30sec to flash one of these. And 1min to download for most of you.. And you are here spending more than 5min asking the question and checking the reply. Best answer for this question would be just give it a try ;)