Windows 8 sucks for desktops....

Search This thread

chrisxkar

Dec 4, 2010
well i think it was a matter of time for windows and other OS's to make a major change in their appearance and interface the question was who would make it first and i was surprised that windows made it first.Offcourse many wont like or it will make it hard for them to get used to it but its something that all excected sooner or later

bobbyelliott

Nov 28, 2006
Glasgow
The lack of historical insight into what Microsoft is doing with Windows 8 is frightening. They just don't get the seismic change that is about to take place in the computing industry.

As for the "Metro sucks on desktops", have you noticed desktops are changing? You noticed all those nice (as yet, unsold) touch screen PCs in computer shops? Do you see the hint?

Well done to Microsoft for making the first move. It did the same in 1995 when it embraced the Internet (Apple was sleeping).

benjoid

Jan 14, 2011

That's a good article in the argument against Windows 8! :cool:

The desktop is not the OS. It's an app...The desktop is not the OS.

Microsoft is focusing on creating a brand new platform in Windows 8, not making the LEGACY platform that is the past look better.

So contrary so what forum members have said here, according to this guy, Microsoft IS looking to replace the "LEGACY" Desktop with Metro and not run them as separate OS's. I'm willing to try and run with both OS's but if Microsoft are looking to drop the Metro's "LEGACY" desktop app in Windows n, well that I am not happy with. Swopping a multi-window, multi-document OS for one that only allows two apps to be visible at a time is a big step backwards.

Last edited:

link68759

Jun 20, 2010
Razer Phone 2
Sony Xperia 5 II
That's a good article in the argument against Windows 8! :cool:

So contrary so what forum members have said here, according to this guy, Microsoft IS looking to replace the "LEGACY" Desktop with Metro and not run them as separate OS's. I'm willing to try and run with both OS's but if Microsoft are looking to drop the Metro's "LEGACY" desktop app in Windows n, well that I am not happy with. Swopping a multi-window, multi-document OS for one that only allows two apps to be visible at a time is a big step backwards.
First, go look up the definition for conceptual. Then you might want to learn to read more thoroughly:

existing desktop environment looks and works almost exactly like its predecessor, and has no compatibility or long-term testing issues. That's the goal for the Windows 8 desktop.

Get that? Good.

benjoid said:
So contrary so what forum members have said here
This man is not a microsoft employee. What you are essentially saying is that you think microsoft is going to do something because you misread an article by a journalist (?) completely unaffiliated with microsoft. Which apparently has more weight than the links in this thread to articles by microsoft employees saying otherwise.

Now that we've established your level of intelligence and clear disposition to employ half read, misunderstood and quite irrelevant texts of dubious sources in your arguments for why 8 is bad... Shall we review what this thread has established about 5 times already?

1) Microsoft has a large IT and power user consumer base. They also like their consumers and know that if they remove functionality or backwards compatibility with anything, a large portion of their customers will transition to linux overnight.
2) New with windows 8 are not one, but two subsets of SDKs. One is for the development of metro apps. The other is for "legacy" programs, presumably updated with new functions, changes in procedure calls, efficiency tweaks, etc.
3) Did you know that 16 bit DOS programs will still run under windows 7 (x86)? Microsoft works hard to maintain legacy support. I remember when 7 first came out, I experienced a lot of trouble running some of my programs I use daily on XP. But they all work now; compatibility is nearly 1:1 (except in obvious specific purpose programs, like tweakUI). Backwards compatibility has proven to be an important and well handled feature in windows.

Microsoft knows that there are an incredible number of programs floating around on the internet that are designed to run under windows, and making as many of them as possible continue to work is common sense. If they at any point in the future make a change that eliminates all the support the previous iteration has, no one would by the new version. It would reduce functionality (point number 1) and very likely remove support for the outdated software corporations like to use for inventory or whatever they do.

ebol94

Aug 10, 2011
Well I think they're working to make Windows more simple and fashionable to competes with MacOS.

benjoid

Jan 14, 2011
This man is not a microsoft employee.
If he did I'd sack him for posting that ;)

I posted on an empty stomach with 5mins to go on my lunch break :rolleyes: My post was a meant to be a reply to the arrogant blog post (http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-consumer-preview-call-common-sense-142476), encased in [IRONY] tags. It's exactly that kind of derogatory hack journalism that makes people on the fence like me want to give up trying out W8. Nobody likes being backed up into a corner or having their intelligence questioned.

If people want to provide helpful links in this thread, link to articles that show what's good in W8, not links that say why you are stupid for being apprehensive about the most concept changing version of Windows yet. Links like this: -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/get-started?page=vid2
See the difference? Pro W8 people are happy, I'm happy, it makes me want to finish off installing W8 and trying it out! Much more constructive ;)

And now I take another look at the offending blogger's website, I see he has made a follow up post, one that is much more helpful and interesting: -
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-consumer-preview-sense-142496

martenson281

Apr 21, 2010
Minneapolis
Rule number one: The Win7 desktop is an app for Metro. The only way to 'turn off' metro is to shut your pc off or install another OS. Deal with it.

As far as tabs go... I bought an Acer Iconia x86 Windows 7 tab when it came out almost a year ago. Its been great with win7 but knowing win8 was in the works it made it an easy decision to purchase it. Wasn't a huge fan of the limited functionality of the dev preview and went back to win7. However..the consumer preview is pure gold. Having an x86 tab rather than an arm tab is key, lets me use both metro and the win8 desktop on the tab. With the ability to plug it into a big screen tv via hdmi (1080p) with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard this thing does it ALL. My ipad 2 from work in comparison as a whole is about as useful as windows 8's calculator app. A $500 coaster for my white russians.

Apple can soon (with the official win8 release) be exposed for who they really are. All gimmicks with one hell of a marketing department. win8 vs ipad or android on tabs is comparing an Audi R8 to a Ford Focus. I do admit..the ipad will ALWAYS have a home with the simple minded and elderly. Happy ipadding Focus fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazepr

akfelipe

Feb 11, 2011
lets admit this, desktop market will be almost non existent in the future(only gamers and software professionals will require the power of a desktop/workstation). Also Budget consumers will most likely stick with the desktop model like institutions(ex:schools and other small/big business that need basic computing for productivity)

Soon our phones and tablets will connect with peripherals(monitors,keyboards,mice,etc) and be able to fulfill most of our computer needs without any or little lag..

Windows wants to make sure they are the OS of choice when it comes to that, it makes sense they design Win8 how they did, unfortunately most of us wont be willing to make that change just yet.
plus windows does not update their OS for at least 3 years(will probably change soon), they need to prepare for the FUTURE! ;)

Last edited:

kainppc6700

Apr 24, 2010
lets admit this, desktop market will be almost non existent in the future(only gamers and software professionals will require the power of a desktop/workstation). Also Budget consumers will most likely stick with the desktop model like institutions(ex:schools and other small/big business that need basic computing for productivity)

Soon our phones and tablets will connect with peripherals(monitors,keyboards,mice,etc) and be able to fulfill most of our computer needs without any or little lag..

Windows wants to make sure they are the OS of choice when it comes to that, it makes sense they design Win8 how they did, unfortunately most of us wont be willing to make that change just yet.
plus windows does not update their OS for at least 3 years(will probably change soon), they need to prepare for the FUTURE! ;)

Keep telling yourself that.

Paul is an idiot and a windows fanboy. Im sorry but w8 has fail written all over it.

Thank you for bringing some common sense to this thread finally. Maybe it's not too late to name it "Windows Vista 2"?

- 2B

Reactions: doministry

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
Actually I kind of like the new Windows 8 design, it is a right choice of moving to such design.

I am extreme familiar with it full function now, just maybe need to some tweak, the new metro UI will be perfect. ;)

Example I prefer add-in future final release:
  • Close button to exit app special design for metro UI, now a bit troublesome for right click close it.
  • Ability to set different screen size of remote desktop beside full screen.
  • Ability to set second side screen preview smaller than current fix size.
  • Ability to lock the whole Start icon arrangement to prevent other user accidentally change it or remove it.
  • Ability to show all apps using left button click rather than right click for desktop user.
  • When clicking the app folder from start, it shall highlight the app icon on that folder selection, now without any highlight, sometimes it do take time to see .. where is my app.
  • Only open the software when clicking from new Start without entering back to old desktop.
  • Ability to scroll using mouse wheel for all apps in new MetroUI, and make it default functioning, now a lot preview app can't scroll using mouse wheel. I know this new Windows 8 focus and target for touch device, but don't forget it friendly usage for ordinary desktop user as well.
  • Make desktop much more METRO look, now it still too much look like Windows 7.

Last edited:

doministry

Sep 25, 2008
Bytom, Poland
doministry.blogspot.com
Keep telling yourself that.

Thank you for bringing some common sense to this thread finally. Maybe it's not too late to name it "Windows Vista 2"?

- 2B
Let's hope it won't be so buggy.

I just hope that for desktops it will be possible to stop this fckn Metro.
Metro has sense on phones, maybe on tablets.

On PC/laptops it's just idiotic.
I think they've lost the plot in some areas and it worries me.
Why the f... the want to improve something what is good.

bobbyelliott

Nov 28, 2006
Glasgow
On PC/laptops it's just idiotic.
I think they've lost the plot in some areas and it worries me.
Why the f... the want to improve something what is good.

Have you noticed the masses of touch screens in your local hardware store? You do realise that PCs with touch screens will replace the current generation of PCs, and that process will commence soon.

Metro makes perfect sense on a touchscreen PC. Windows 8 is foreseeing the future in the same way Windows 95 did when it embraced the Internet -- while Apple and co. slept.

mtmerrick

Jan 29, 2011
Merced/San Diego
Have you noticed the masses of touch screens in your local hardware store? You do realise that PCs with touch screens will replace the current generation of PCs, and that process will commence soon.

Metro makes perfect sense on a touchscreen PC. Windows 8 is foreseeing the future in the same way Windows 95 did when it embraced the Internet -- while Apple and co. slept.

I was at fry's electronics today. not counting the half-aisle of tablets, i counted 4 touchscreen computers. i don't consider 4 PCs to be "masses"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    lets be honest here.... the metro UI looks nice and all, but without a touch screen its completely out of place.. Keyboard and mouse interfaces have traditionally been vertical, you move through web pages vertically, you scroll through lists vertically, but metro UI is horizontal, scrolling down to turn right isn't quite intuitive....

and yea Ive done the "hack" to bring back the old start menu, but if you do that the metro UI kinda trips out plus thats the whole point of using windows 8 versus windows 7...

... worst thing was I deleted my Ubuntu partition to use it, but in a couple of days I think I'm gonna get the Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2 and delete windows 8
    I'm apprehensive to keep replying to this thread, because of the blind hatred that is almost always accompanied with a painful amount of ignorance... and any comment I make is quickly buried by more blather. Yet, here I am again. I guess I just can't muster the strength to resist correcting wrongs on the internet. Oh well, maybe I'll learn with time. :)

I read on one of microsoft's developer blogs that the metro start menu is fullscreen primarily because it allows you to visualize what you have access to. It's also finger friendly, and a whole lot better than 7's start menu that is confined to that little box (XP's was better because it allowed the box to expand across the screen). This makes sense. You should be happy that they are making the start menu more efficient, stop whining.

About tiles; a lot of the people in this thread seem to think that the introduction of tiles equals less user control, or dumbing down the system. Where do you get that idea? Adding a UI layer does not dumb down the whole OS, as it does not change anything about it OS; it is an entirely new UI that doesn't really replace any functionality. If you try to argue that the metro UI as replacing the pinnable area in the 7 start menu, then this is much an improvement: the pins update to give you information without you having to open whatever it launches.

I personally hate widgets; I want to use them because I love the idea of getting information on my desktop, but they cover my wallpaper which I like to have a clear view of. Tiles are perfect; no stupid UI or complex themes, no round edges that don't fit together. Information that's nice and neat, that is a separate UI element from the desktop, so my wallpaper isn't covered. I like it.
    I have previously mentioned that the biggest reason people hate live tiles is because they don't know how to use them, or how to properly embrace the system. These would be the people who shut their ears and shout nonsense at the first sign of change. It's incredibly annoying, would you stop?

The only valid arguments against tiles are the ones that point out the inefficient text size. Yes, it could stand to get customizable text sizes and perhaps a few tweaks to accommodate more text information (though I can appreciate that the reasons for the limits; this is supposed to be a preview of content, not the entirety of the content, and we shouldn't start asking for entire articles or books to scroll through tile previews). I believe that these updates are coming, however, on both desktop and WP8, so have patience; there is no reason to spew hate on a work in progress, this is only counter productive. One of the reasons I got WP7 was so that I could follow the development of a new technology. It's quite exciting to see something grow and mature :)

I know that the 360 has a raging preteen fanboy base, but I really don't want to find out that this also applies to Windows desktop. Go bring your fanboyisms to Mac, or linux if you prefer (though I also like to think the *NIX community is populated by professional bearded developers)

Speaking of the 360, I have not heard any mass complaints over the metro UI overhaul. Contrarily, it seems to be positively received almost universally.
    It's a dev preview. It's not even a beta. Anything can and will change. Don't base your opinions of W8 on this.
    maybe i'm just weird like that, but i kinda like the metro ui on my laptop/desktop setup. even though i don't have a touch-enabled screen, it didn't take me long to get used to using metro and make it work the way i like.
    The live tiles and simplicity of it all are very nice, and dual booting Kubuntu was simple, I'm quite sure triple booting (Win7) would be a piece of cake as well. The desk top with the split screen is awesome! And a desktop is a desk top I don 't see the big deal here... Oh, this is a pre beta, I almost forgot. So let's see, New features, choices, smaller footprint, options, OH and Upgrade!?!? Can we try and see the cool part of it?